StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Barkley Says He Has A "Gambling Problem"
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

Barkley Says He Has A "Gambling Problem"

Barkley: ``I do have a gambling problem''

May 3, 2006

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) -- Charles Barkley says he has a gambling problem, estimating in an interview that he's lost about $10 million over the years.

"My agent has really worked with me to try to get it where I can go and gamble and have fun," Barkley told ESPN in an interview Wednesday. "That's easier said than done. Do I have a gambling problem? Yeah, I do have a gambling problem. But I don't consider it a problem because I can afford to gamble."

Barkley said he's not concerned about his habit because he has enough money to cover his losses, though he did say he hoped to wager less money.

"When I gamble I should be playing $1,000 a hand instead of $20,000 a hand, because if I played for $1,000 a hand I probably could lose $50,000 to $100,000 a hand instead of millions of dollars," Barkley said. "And I've got to reach a happy medium because I've told all of the people in my life that first and foremost it's my money."

Barkley said the thrill of competition has a lot to do with his urge to wager. "I like to gamble and I'm not going to quit," he said. "I've just got to get it under control."

Barkley, elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame last month, averaged 22.1 points and nearly 12 rebounds in a 16-year career that included stops in Philadelphia, Phoenix and Houston. He was the league's MVP in 1993, and he won gold at the '92 Barcelona Olympics as part of the original U.S. Dream Team.

Recently, golfer John Daly said in his upcoming autobiography that he has lost between $50 million and $60 million during 12 years of heavy gambling, and that it has become a problem that could "flat-out ruin me" if he doesn't bring it under control.

Old Post 05-04-06 02:55 AM
CHOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHOP Click here to Send CHOP a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tdbabe
StatFox Hall of Famer

I'm feeling sick again.

Please view this site. Donations of any kind are always appreciated by these brave people.

http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Remember, Freedom isn't Free, thousands have paid the price so you can enjoy what you have today.

Old Post 05-04-06 03:17 AM
tdbabe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tdbabe Click here to Send tdbabe a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

UUUMMM- The Hairball remembered.

All you long time posters here should remember this guy? Maybe Barkley was the Hairball who used to post here with some very very large unit plays. The Hairball had to have the biggest sst of brass balls of anyone to ever post here. He was also very entertaining, even though he was posting like a big Vegas whale.
The Haiball, who passed himself off as a big Corp. CEO would post: I have a 15000 unit play on the Lakers tonight and it tanked. Next night, The Hairball- Going with a 3,000 unit play on the Bulls. The Hairball disappeared one night after he anouncd his wedding plans. Many think he went to visit Jimmy Hofa or bought himself some cement shoes. I personally think he was betting with play money and his parents took his computer away. Only his books know for sure.

Old Post 05-04-06 03:52 AM
Ragtop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ragtop Click here to Send Ragtop a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: