StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > losing streaks
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
undersNdogs
FoxDen Hall of Famer

losing streaks

Hey Den. I don't post a lot, hardly ever post plays sorry. Its because I hardly have time to do my regular life, do all my analysis and post plays.. I end up placing most wagers in the car from my phone in between things. Other thing is if I don't have time to post all the time I don't want to give just a few play as often I would chose to post only the losing sides. I have the utmost respect for the perennial posters here.. it really is hard work to post consistently. I'm in the midst of a nice run over the last two weeks following a nasty but short losing streak. Yesterday I happen to hit a parlay that brought me from -4 units to +2 units. I put too much risk out there and "got out of jail free". I've been keeping a journal it helps some times. I thought this entry might be helpful to some:

Losing streaks are the single biggest challenge you will face in your life. Losing streaks are more emotionally difficult than lost love, will require more work than the hardest curriculum at an Ivey League college and are more tiring than running consecutive marathons. There are times it seems you are invincible, every notion you have is right and you go weeks even months without losing. Then things turn against you and everything you do is wrong, key plays are denied often in dramatic fashion that make sports history while making you feel like a complete fool. During that time minutes can seem like hours, days seem like weeks. You won’t sleep well; you will suffer through the day with a black cloud hanging over your head, the black cloud of not-winning. It is at this time you can’t believe what is happening to you. It is at this time you have the strongest desire to win, roll up your sleeve and sharpen your pencil and attack. Yet this is the time you must learn to let it go and walk away. What you are up against is unbeatable. What is happening is the truth that each bet has a 50% statistical chance of losing catches up to everyone regardless of system, method and discipline. You will not deny the cosmic truth that every bet has a 50% chance of losing. Despite all your hard work and efforts to bet with an edge eventually, for a period of time, pure statistics takes over and nothing can stop it. It won’t matter what you do. With every win over 50% the mystic force of chance takes note. She can only tolerate you cheating her for so long. As your wins start to pile up she begins to plan your demise, she ensures that it will be a spectacle of tormenting bad beats and terrible moves in the wrong direction. She will make sure the scenario shakes lose every last ounce of confidence and understanding you thought you had. She is a great destroyer of bank rolls; she has caused suicides, murders, ruined marriages and shortened lives. The only answer for the losing streak is to go away. This is hard to do, especially when you were doing so well. Pay the force of chance her respect by stepping to the side for a while and maybe she’ll go easy on you. Bring her the gift of rectifying the percentages by giving her smaller losses over a longer period of time. After a while, she will forget about you and move on to someone else. Sooner than you think she will allow you to continue on your profit march. Every day you win you should be mentally preparing for the losing streak. Have a plan for when it comes. Withdraw money. Take a mini-vacation, take care of things around the house, cook a nice meal, take in a good movie, and catch up on your exercise. It’s ok to keep watch on what is going on if you can bear not to jump in. When you resume you resume at small amounts because you have to pay your dues into and out of a losing streak no matter how long you lay off. Eventually mastering the losing streak will be the single greatest accomplishment in your life.

Old Post 05-21-13 02:35 PM
undersNdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for undersNdogs Click here to Send undersNdogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
geg1951
FoxDen Hall of Famer

well said ....

GARY / GARLAND TEXAS...... RETIRED
---------------------------------------------------

Old Post 05-21-13 02:44 PM
geg1951 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for geg1951 Click here to Send geg1951 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

"Eventually mastering the losing streak will be the single greatest accomplishment in your life."

If that's the case, you don't have much of a life...

give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Old Post 05-21-13 08:06 PM
Tex is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ICT Picker

Wow

I posted something close to this the other day, just not as well. I feel like I am a pretty good capper but had never really put meaningful wagers on games, I was just that a-hole who said "told you so" when I was right. So this MLB season I decided to start with a 5k bank and by the end of August I would be up 10k...ya right. Funny when you start putting money down on games how the second guessing starts in your head. Anyway, 4 weeks in and I'm done. I actually won 1500+ but the grind of watching winners turn losers be cuz of a bad closer or a little league type error became too frustrating. My hat goes off to anyone who makes a living at this gambling thing. Me I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Old Post 05-21-13 10:07 PM
ICT Picker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ICT Picker Click here to Send ICT Picker a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Fluid
FoxDen Hall of Famer

"Eventually mastering the losing streak will be the single greatest accomplishment in your life."

More like, "Mastering the emotions that come with the inevitable losing streaks is one of the greatest assets a gambler will gain in his career"

Avoiding the TILT, which applies to more than just poker, is essential.

Old Post 05-21-13 10:21 PM
Fluid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fluid Click here to Send Fluid a Private Message Edit post   Report post
wildcat76
FoxDen Hall of Famer

great read

Old Post 05-23-13 01:29 AM
wildcat76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat76 Click here to Send wildcat76 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: