StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > NBA Finals... its MOB time !
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Friday 13th
StatFox Hall of Famer

MTPaid...StatFox Hall of Famer

quote : Are you Henry Hill?

---

- Ummm..., close, but not I'm not HH HH Photo

<BIG><B>"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."</B></BIG>

<A HREF="http://kmhsfinearts.org/Drama/mr_six_old_guy_lg.jpg">Michael K.</A> ( Friday13th, Profesional Sports Capper )

Old Post 06-06-06 11:06 PM
Friday 13th is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Friday 13th Click here to Send Friday 13th a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mattk
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Darhorse

"It's not the MOB, though. It's the NBA. It's about people staying tuned to the game, about marketing around the world (through superstars!), about television money."

If it's about television money, then why wasn't there at least one Game 7 in the Conference Finals this year?

Old Post 06-06-06 11:14 PM
mattk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mattk Click here to Send mattk a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mattk
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Dark Horse

Sorry about the misspelling of your name in the previous post.

Old Post 06-06-06 11:15 PM
mattk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mattk Click here to Send mattk a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Friday 13th
StatFox Hall of Famer

mattk...

quotes : Friday Who's most likely in on the fix... players or officials?

- The refs in the NBA, and the players in the NCAAB

if games are being fixed at a rate of 2 to 3 per week. Somebody would have uncovered this by now.

- They have... just do a little reserch here in the internet and you will see, but you know that money = power and a couple of trunks full with money can buy a lot of silence

why stop at Game 6 of the Conference Finals? Why not go ahead and fix one or two more to meet my quota?

- A lot of people money whas on the Suns side... like I said before the MOB don't want to beat vegas ( they already own vegas ) they want the 97 % of the bettors money

Bottom line is that players still have to execute and make plays. Take Jordan's infamous push-off on Bryon Russell. Obvious offensive foul. Jordan still has to hit the shot to win the game.

- Yes... I never said that the MOB wins every single fix game, sometimes things like this occur, and like I said before usually when this kind of things happen, they will get sure that next game it's gonna go their way ( with a big blow up )

<BIG><B>"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."</B></BIG>

<A HREF="http://kmhsfinearts.org/Drama/mr_six_old_guy_lg.jpg">Michael K.</A> ( Friday13th, Profesional Sports Capper )

Old Post 06-06-06 11:16 PM
Friday 13th is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Friday 13th Click here to Send Friday 13th a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Dark Horse
FoxDen Hall of Famer

mattk

Television money weighs in. So do other factors. Doesn't mean every series will go 7 games. It's similar to betting. You have to pick your spots. Same with fixing games. My numbers leave no doubt that there is a huge difference between the NBA regular season and the playoffs. As to the precise reason why, I don't really care that much. My personal impression has for the most part made me avoid the playoffs

FWIW, I don't think the same is true for the NFL. Not on the same scale at least. One basket is huge in basketball, but is just 1% of a 200 pt game. One percent of a 40 pt football game is 0.04 points. So the refs have FAR less influence in football.

Old Post 06-07-06 12:06 AM
Dark Horse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dark Horse Click here to Send Dark Horse a Private Message Edit post   Report post
highrize
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Darkhorse

r u talking about points shaving at the end comparing the refs in both leagues??

because i don't really understand the last comment. The lowest you can score is 3 points in the NFL, in a 40 point game that's almost 10%.

Old Post 06-07-06 12:10 AM
highrize is offline Click Here to See the Profile for highrize Click here to Send highrize a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Dark Horse
FoxDen Hall of Famer

If a ref 'decides' just 1% of a basketball game that is 2 pts, which is a huge margin ATS. If a football ref decides 1% of a game, that is all right; just 0.04 or 0.05 points. So it is much easier to influence a basketball game, and much harder to detect.

Old Post 06-07-06 12:27 AM
Dark Horse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dark Horse Click here to Send Dark Horse a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

Oh No

The games are fixed, I mean some games are fixed. You would have to have tunnel vision not to see it. I have been wagering on sporting events about as long as anyone here and there are just too many strange things that have happened thru the years not to think otherwise. If the adv. Joe Public guys like to gamble, don't you think the insiders do too and when they do it is with a big edge and is much less of a gamble.
Some horse races are fixed and some sporting events are fixed. It is out there and to think otherwise is foolish. IE: A lot of you out there never watched or bet on boxing events over the years. The United States is suposed to be a democarcy with majority rule. Do you really think your vote counts?The Majority is ruled by the minority, special interest and big oil co.'s and it is no different in the sports world. Money rules and big money rules bigger. Get real. There are a lot of dishonest people out there. I really think some of you out there need a reality check.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Author: Thomas Jefferson

Old Post 06-07-06 12:53 AM
Ragtop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ragtop Click here to Send Ragtop a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Shadow9
StatFox Legend

My 2 Cents

I'm not about to weigh in on whether sporting events (pro or otherwise) are fixed on "occasion" or not. However; I'm curious...

For all of those posters who believe that the fix is in... Why then are you doing any wagering? Let me guess... because it's only the "odd" game that is being tampered with? And that the odds are still in your favour for this reason?

Sort of like knowing that the "odd or occasional" O'Henry chocolate bar is poisonous, but you continue to eat them anyhow figuring the odds are in your favour you won't get a bad one??
Bad example maybe, but you get my drift.

Old Post 06-07-06 01:33 AM
Shadow9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow9 Click here to Send Shadow9 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
themann
StatFox Hall of Famer

You guys are FUNNY !! With the lack of a true understanding of the game , you are not handicapping players , you are crunching numbers and creating trends . Ball games are all about match ups , players emotional status , players health , locker room relationships , and game time rediness !! I posted at the start of the playoffs that the Pistons would not be in the finals , it would be the Heat . The Pistons Rasheed Wallace is a disease in any locker room and it finally got to Ben Wallace . When Rasheed Wallace carried it to far and went physical ,other players had to step in . Lindsey Hunter by direction of Dumars tried to be the counsler and bring it together . While some players could handle it , Prince , (a fragile personality) was upset in the mix and really lost focus. Poor locker room relationships , players emotional state (trying to focus on the game ) when you shouldn't have to try !! These factors had a negative impact for sure . Its a team sport and the team wasn't together ! The officials on the floor are briefed about all conflicts between all the players !! Officials also adjust calls to players styles etc. Officials are held accountable for all thier calls and there is a review of every game and the calls in EVERY PRO SPORT . So , the officials can take controll of the game but nobody fixes the game !! A successful bettor will pick situations and pick his spots along with the number crunching and trends which can lead to a huge payoff . The player who plays everyday will find himself on the losing end eventually . Vegas counts on the everyday Joe public and will post lines to suck joe public in . saying the games or just some games are fixed is about as wise as saying Pro Golf is fixed !

Old Post 06-07-06 03:47 AM
themann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for themann Edit post   Report post
BET4$
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Good morning everyone, just having my first cup of "UNLEADED-COFFEE" as i get going here reading reading about Grimsley.

Themann, I must say you have good KEY insights into handicapping sports. I agree with u on the delicate balance that teams have and I use many theories to expose situations myself.
As to the dicussion on fixed or cheating, we can go back and forth on this for a while and still have guys on both sides of the wall. It is a topic of BELIEF, some believe and some don't. Consider this, if you are not aware of a particular food chain, then you are not feeding from it.
As to Friday having info on fixed games, who knows, but I have a good idea.
Time to get back to handicapping. GL

Old Post 06-07-06 02:51 PM
BET4$ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BET4$ Click here to Send BET4$ a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Friday 13th
StatFox Hall of Famer

All of you can be happy !

To this time... today NBA Finals Game 1 it's no "decided" or "fix" by the MOB

* We have at least 9 more hrs to tipoff

Old Post 06-08-06 06:23 PM
bigdadi
StatFox Hall of Famer

Let me try to put it into EXTREME

For a professional sport player -
what will you do or who will you listen to, IF
[1] a gang in your house with guns behind all your family members.
[2] a guy threathens to expose the video tape to the internet and the news media. The tape is all about you fcking his wife, or any other women other than your wife.
[3] a guy threathens to reveal your gambling records regarding you bet your own team to lose.
[4] a guy tells you that if you co-operate, they will deposit an agreed amount into a Swiss bank account in your name that no US authorities can find out.

Just an EXTREME scenario, but would the above be possible to happen that I don't know.

Old Post 06-08-06 07:21 PM
bigdadi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdadi Click here to Send bigdadi a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: