StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Good reasons to gamble on sports
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
StatFox Jeff
Administrator

Good reasons to gamble on sports

Here is an interesting article from a smalltown newspaper site: http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/14520157.htm

It is refreshing to hear about the positive aspects of Sports Betting, instead of the constant bombardment of negativity telling us how immoral sports betting is and how many families and lives it destroys. Like anything else, the vast majority of bettors view it for what it is: Another enjoyable entertainment option.

========================================
===
(Jason Bartolone, Bradenton Herald Staff) Ever since the first Ancient Greek bookie took some action on a chariot race, sports and gambling have been a perfect match. Look no further than the millions wagered on Saturday's Kentucky Derby (and that was just by John Daly) -athletic competition and betting are meant to go together. Here's why:

5 Rooting interest. Even the diehards have trouble getting pumped up for, say, Ohio Valley Conference hoops. Put a little money on the games, however, and you're Murray State's biggest fan.

4 Showing support. If it weren't for gambling, would events such as the Derby, March Madness or the Super Bowl have the same appeal? Friendly wagers placed by average joes have made the NFL king and the Motor City Bowl watchable.

3 Retirement fund. Betting on sports is a lot more fun than dumping your money into a 401k. Plus, if you're planning for your golden years, it's probably a safer bet to take the Patriots and the points than hoping Social Security will still be around.

2 Quick and easy. Thanks to the endless supply of Internet gambling sites, there's no longer any need to meet up with shady guys named Manny behind the laundromat.

1 The American way. From office pools to slot machines to scratch-offs to online poker, gambling is as much a part of our culture as apple pie and iPods. It's only natural to combine two of our favorite unhealthy obsessions into one simple package.

Old Post 05-08-06 07:06 PM
StatFox Jeff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StatFox Jeff Click here to Send StatFox Jeff a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Dogs

I enjoyed reading that. Also agree that betting makes certain sports more interesting. Just think how many people that bet on the Kentucky Derby actually know nothing about horse racing. Yet theey feel compelled to place a bet.

Old Post 05-08-06 07:16 PM
Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogs Click here to Send Dogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
eno
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Horse racing would be dead without betting. And most other sports would get much worse ratings.

People don't have gambling problems. People have losing problems.

Old Post 05-08-06 08:00 PM
eno is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eno Click here to Send eno a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Shadow9
StatFox Legend

Good Article Jeff

Now what's happening with the new software? You know, the bullpen stats showing the last 5 and maybe last 10 game stats instead of the current L7?? LOL!

Maybe by the time I get released from the hospital it will be up and running?

Just curious...

Again, interesting reading!

Old Post 05-08-06 09:02 PM
Shadow9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow9 Click here to Send Shadow9 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

UUMMMM

Public service announcement: Do you have a problem gambling? Are you spending money on gambling instead of paying your bills and buying food for your family? Are you suffering mood swings for you gambling habits? Has gambling consumed your life? On a losing streak?
Than take control of your life and contact:http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Author: Thomas Jefferson

Old Post 05-09-06 01:00 AM
Ragtop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ragtop Click here to Send Ragtop a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: