StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > 6th Seeds in the NFL Playoffs: Case Study
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
StatFox Steve
Administrator

6th Seeds in the NFL Playoffs: Case Study

Taking a look at some past results by 6th seeds in the playoffs since 1993 reveals some interesting trends:

- Since '93, only two 6th seeds have been favored in the playoffs, both lost straight up

- Since '93, there have been six 6th seeds that have garnered the public's attention...i.e. the public has moved the line towards that team: All have lost straight up and the ATS mark is just 1-5.

- 6th seeds in the playoffs since '93 have been outscored by an average of 28.5-18.1 in 34 games.

- In playoff games with totals of 40 or higher, 6th seeds are just 4-16 SU & 5-15 ATS.

- 6th seeds fortunate enough to advance past the wildcard round are 0-8 SU & 2-6 ATS in the divisional round, outscored by an average margin of 34.8-14.4.

Any idea which way I'm leaning in Pittsburgh/Cincinnati game?

Steve

Old Post 01-06-06 05:10 PM
StatFox Steve is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StatFox Steve Click here to Send StatFox Steve a Private Message Edit post   Report post
GrandGouda
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Although I'm a Steelers Fan, just don't see them winning. Already played Cincy on the ML, and teased Cincy and the Under.

Old Post 01-06-06 05:23 PM
GrandGouda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GrandGouda Click here to Send GrandGouda a Private Message Edit post   Report post
p6hun
Banned User

Steelers

Steelers Suck! Why would anybody go and put their hard earned money on these bums? Same old story, choke year after year. What have they done differently this year that would give merit in winning on Sunday? Nothing in my opinion and quite frankly the "Bus" is just plan worn out! I actually hope the public is all over the Steelers so I can fade them.

Old Post 01-06-06 06:31 PM
p6hun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for p6hun Click here to Send p6hun a Private Message Edit post   Report post
GrandGouda
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Other than this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20051023_PIT@CIN

Steelers 27 - Cincy 13 @ Cincinnati

Idiot...

Old Post 01-06-06 07:23 PM
GrandGouda is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GrandGouda Click here to Send GrandGouda a Private Message Edit post   Report post
dg84

the steelers do choke in the playoffs but usually not until the championship game. this year they beat the bengals down at cinci when they were healthy earlier in the year & then lost a close one at home when they were banged up & gave cinci 5 turnovers. not to mention the fact cinci has played horribly on defense the past 6 games or so & is a very young team. if this was a veteran team playing bad at the end of the year or if pitt was limping into the playoffs i could see a bounce back but i just don't see the bengals turning it on all of a sudden againsta vet steeler team. that being said, if the steelers win sunday the colts will destroy them next week in my opinion.

Old Post 01-06-06 08:15 PM
dg84 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dg84 Click here to Send dg84 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
marley

statfox Steve,

say this in one of the articles:

Following line movements towards a road team (betting the road team) would have resulted in just a 11-24-3 ATS (31.4%) record.

over the last 2 seasons I get 7-7 ats for all rounds combined. is this correct?

Old Post 01-06-06 09:41 PM
marley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marley Click here to Send marley a Private Message Edit post   Report post
StatFox Steve
Administrator

Get 4-4 Marley...

Using our saved opening & closing lines over the last 2 years playoffs.

Steve

Old Post 01-07-06 12:50 AM
StatFox Steve is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StatFox Steve Click here to Send StatFox Steve a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

Stat Fox Steve

correct me if i'm wrong but home underdogsare 8-1 ats in the wildcard playoffs

Old Post 01-07-06 01:20 AM
msudogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
TheFixIsIn
FoxDen Hall of Famer

great post steve, I liked CIN anyway and this just confirms things

Old Post 01-07-06 01:33 AM
TheFixIsIn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheFixIsIn Click here to Send TheFixIsIn a Private Message Edit post   Report post
The Shade

Great info Steve, LOVE IT! Already liked the Bunguls going into it, and you made it the forbidden "L*CK" word for me.

Old Post 01-07-06 02:02 AM
The Shade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Shade Click here to Send The Shade a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ad4456ito

p6"spew"n,
deep down you must be another ****y browns fan... don't worry the browns will be back next year!!! oh, you've been saying that for years.... it's ok, you'll be okay. make yourself feel a little better and put your money on PITTSBURGH this week. THEY WILL COVER BY 2 touchdowns... or better yet go ahead and put your $$ on the inexperienced bungals
idiot!

Old Post 01-07-06 03:42 PM
ad4456ito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ad4456ito Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: