StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > PGA Tour - The Players Championship
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

PGA Tour - The Players Championship

The tours "5th major" according to many. This is billed as the best field in Golf.

Tiger Woods is going of at +720 He hasn't seen odds this high when he has been playing this well in as long as I can remember. It is certainly due to the stout field and the fact he hasn't fared well here since his win in 2001 (which includes a withdrawal due to injured pride in 2010 - note that wasn't the official reason.) Any of you that follow my golf plays know that I do not often pick the chalk or anywhere near it for the most part. This week is different. I am placing a fairly large (for me) wager of $100 on Tiger to win. Here is why.

Leads the tour in par 3 scoring, strokes gained putting and par 5 scoring. He hasn't fared well here in recent years, but here is what has changed. He is hitting a cut and when the tee shot calls for a cut, he is hitting the driver great and in the fairway. There are only 4 holes out of 14 (excluding par 3's here) where a draw is required. 10, 14, 16 and 18. He can and likely will hit less than driver on 1 or 2 of those holes and he can confidently play the draw with anything less than Driver. With the rest of his game in the shape it is and Tiger playing from the fairways for the most part, I love his chances this week at those lofty odds. I also have one longshot because I like to follow him.

Tiger Woods +720
Brian Harman +50,000 - that is not a typo...very small here

GL Den

Old Post 05-07-13 04:23 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ICT Picker

I agree with almost everything xcept

Most of Tigs success this year is cuz he has been putting out his ass from 15' and in. Putting is like gambling , its streaky. He started to lose the stroke at Augusta. Not saying he wont win but you will know by Friday nite if his stroke is back.

Old Post 05-07-13 05:10 PM
ICT Picker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ICT Picker Click here to Send ICT Picker a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

ICT, I agree that the putter is always key. With his improved short wedge play and it being a friendly driving course for those that like to fade it, he should have many quality looks at birdies. Even though his putter failed him, he finished top 5 at Augusta...a course that favors a draw off the tee. If he putts well, I think he wins by a decent margin. If not, I think he is still right there in the mix on Sunday afternoon.

Old Post 05-07-13 10:52 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Badger24
FoxDen Hall of Famer

The tourneys Tiger has won have been the ones he's won multiple times in the past

Old Post 05-07-13 11:08 PM
Badger24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Badger24 Click here to Send Badger24 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Badger24
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Torrey Pines 8 times
Doral 7 times
Bay Hill 8 times

Think he won the Players in 2001

Old Post 05-07-13 11:11 PM
Badger24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Badger24 Click here to Send Badger24 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Badger, I am aware of his last victory was in 2001 here. I pointed that out in my original post. When you win almost 80 times, you are going to have some you dominate. His lack of dominance here and strength of field is why he is @+720. I like his current form and I see value in the number.

Old Post 05-08-13 01:28 AM
BIV2

Tiger

Hi Bear and all.
I agree Bear// 2 days ago My first look... I took Tiger +650 And Zach Johnson +5500. will add one or 2 tommorrow /
good luck all.

peace

Biv2

Old Post 05-08-13 06:04 AM
BIV2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIV2 Click here to Send BIV2 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ICT Picker

Hey Bear

My book has a top 5 finish and a top 10 finish line. Tiger is +110 to finish in top 10. Might be a hedge play for you. If he wins you get 870 or 10 if he finishes 2nd.....11th well that would suk

Old Post 05-08-13 02:51 PM
ICT Picker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ICT Picker Click here to Send ICT Picker a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

ICT,what book?

Old Post 05-08-13 03:16 PM
ICT Picker

Its thru a local who has an offshore:

lucktrain.com.....not sure if you can deposit or not, but the line is avail. odds for a top 5 finish by TW is +160. Top 10 has dropped a nickle as you can see. I just put up a few but odds are there for every player.

07:00a ET The Players Championship -Top 10 finishers

Tiger Woods +105
Adam Scott +175
Luke Donald +175
Phil Mickelson +210
Rory McIlroy +230
Lee Westwood +240
Justin Rose +260
Matt Kuchar +260

Old Post 05-08-13 03:26 PM
eels
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Bear

Heritage has Tiger top 5 +200 and top 10 +120

Old Post 05-08-13 08:28 PM
eels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eels Click here to Send eels a Private Message Edit post   Report post
threegs

Tournament Matchups

Tourney Matchups:
J. Day -135 over R. Fowler
D. Toms -125 over B. Weekley
E. Els -110 over K. Stanley
L. Donald +100 over A. Scott
L. Donald -125 over S. Garcia

Bets to Win:

T. Woods +600
J. Rose +2500
M. Kuchar +3000

Good Luck everyone!

Results to Date:
Tourney Matchups: 23-23-4 -2.55 units

Old Post 05-09-13 12:55 AM
threegs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for threegs Click here to Send threegs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

thanks for all the golf insights, very helpful
GL

Old Post 05-09-13 02:06 PM
msudogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
BIV2

I added Steve Stricker & Bubba watson

G Luck

Old Post 05-09-13 03:27 PM
BIV2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIV2 Click here to Send BIV2 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Tiger +720. Winner

It was closer than the two shot margin would suggest. Tiger made it interesting with the 20 handicapper t shot on 14 which led to a double, but he moved on and converted the W, with a little help from his good buddy Sergio.

Old Post 05-13-13 01:39 AM
eels
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thank you!

I played Tiger only because of your post...thank you for this winner!

Old Post 05-13-13 02:03 AM
eels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eels Click here to Send eels a Private Message Edit post   Report post
pshinnamon
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thanks for the winner. I had $500.00 on the tiger at +705. Good call.
Pete

Terpman

Old Post 05-13-13 12:59 PM
pshinnamon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pshinnamon Click here to Send pshinnamon a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: