StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Golf: The Open Championship - 2013
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Golf: The Open Championship - 2013

Has been awful quiet around here lads. I wanted to share my picks for the third Major of the year. These majors are great because they offer the full field of players with odds and some of those are quite tempting. There are all plays to win.

Phil Mickelson: 17-1
Lee Westwood: 24-1

Now the long shots...all for short, short money

Zach Johnson: 105-1
Billy Hoershel: 110-1
M.A. Jimenez: 180-1
Jordan Speith: 180-1
Freddie Jacobsen: 325-1
Fred Couples: 400-1
Jimmy Walker: 425-1
Scott Stallings: 500-1 - don't be shocked if he wins
Ken Duke: 750-1 - be shocked if he makes the weekend
Sir Nick Faldo: 900-1

One other play for this is a matchup of Nick Watney over Peter Hanson. Hanson is hurt and he may not even play, but if he makes it to the first t and withdraws, all Watney has to do is finish and its a W. Thanks to the Dandy Man for that nugget.

PGA Tour opposite Event in the States.

Ben Kholes: 100-1 - young Ben played well early in the year and has faded of late. Might seize big opportunity against a very watered down field.

Old Post 07-17-13 09:10 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

Bear

thanks for these, no Day ? here's to a great Open
GL

Old Post 07-18-13 12:51 AM
msudogs is online now Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

Watney over Hanson full tourney is also good, but some shops have taken it off due to Hanson injury info or some have moved it on air

Old Post 07-18-13 01:10 AM
msudogs is online now Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Sherlock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

142nd OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

Hi Bear, thanks for sympathetic comments after the U.S. Open last month.

You were right, it was a bitter pill to swallow - all three of my picks were either in the lead or were very close behind going into the last round.

Then the course and the pressure of the tournament just ate all three of them up and spit them out.

Two of them still hung on for a top 10 finish and the other finished all alone in 14th.

I know how they all feel - when things go south on the course sometimes, it can be real hard to get back on track.

But I still enjoyed all of the action - it just didn't play out the way I was hoping it would.

Anyways, I've got to run so I'll be brief.

This years Open Championship is @ Muirfield Golf Links in Gullane, East Lothian, Scotland.

I like the favorites on this course.

This is links golf and some of these guys grew up and developed their games on this kind of course so it should be right up their alley.

They weren't afforded the opportunity to play Country Club golf until later after they had established themselves as golf prospects, albeit @ still a relatively young age.

So for the Open, I'm hoping that the winner comes out of this threesome that plays together the 1st two days.

8½ - 1 .... TIGER WOODS (DOUBLE PLAY DUE TO THE LOW ODDS)
22 - 1 .... GRAEME McDOWELL
55 - 1 .... LOUIS OOSTHUIZEN

Good Luck Bear & Everyone & enjoy the Open!

Old Post 07-18-13 02:04 AM
Sherlock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sherlock Click here to Send Sherlock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bostonshamrock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

good luck guys- taking a shot on these 5 to win- have a good weekend

mickelson 15-1
mcdowell 18-1
els 25-1
day 25-1
snedeker 30-1

Old Post 07-18-13 02:31 AM
bostonshamrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bostonshamrock Click here to Send bostonshamrock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I hope some of you got in on plays against Peter Hanson. He withdrew after 6 holes. Most books rule on this is as long as both/all players start the competition, those wagers have action.

Old Post 07-18-13 05:36 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

LVH makes Lee Westwood 7/4 favorite to win British Open (Woods 2/1) following 3rd rd, but Tiger is -200 vs Westwood in 4th rd matchup

Old Post 07-20-13 09:19 PM
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Phil! Winner.

Turned in a fine round today to come from 5 back to win by three. Shamrock, see you at the window.

Old Post 07-22-13 12:04 AM
bostonshamrock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

congrats Bear

was able to catch phils last couple of holes- great stuff - love watching him win bet or not bet

Old Post 07-22-13 02:12 PM
bostonshamrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bostonshamrock Click here to Send bostonshamrock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Sherlock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

142nd OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

I tried to sign on several times last night but I couldn't get in for some reason.

I want to extend my congratulations to both Bear and bostonshamrock.

Phil put on a remarkable charge with 4 birdies in the last 6 holes of the final round and captured the 2013 Claret Jug.

It was a very competitive Open with a lot of the big names right there battling it out until Lefty got hot and left them in the dust.

And with that, you guys cashed in with the winner.

Bloody well done, Gentlemen.

Old Post 07-22-13 07:47 PM
Sherlock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sherlock Click here to Send Sherlock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: