StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > PGA - Hyundai Tournament of Champions
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
threegs

PGA - Hyundai Tournament of Champions

The PGA season is starting up again...

Tournament Matchups:
C. Beljan even over B. Curtis
M. Wilson -110 over B. Curtis
B. Snedeker -110 over K. Bradley
M. Leishman -115 over T. Gainey
J. J. Henry -125 over G. McNeill
C. Pettersson -115 over S. Piercy

In a small field, there aren't a lot of good odds on the winner, but I will probably put a little something on:
B. Snedeker +1500
B. Haas +2000
C. Pettersson +2500

Good Luck!

Results Last Year:
All Tours: 154-100-17 +26.53 units

Old Post 01-02-13 11:01 PM
threegs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for threegs Click here to Send threegs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
GEORGE456

Just an FYI...I. Poulter sent out a tweet yesterday saying
he hasn't practiced at all over Christmas break and he wouldn't put any money on himself. Hitting it very shaky according to him.
Maybe a good idea to go against him in a matchup. GL to all!

Old Post 01-02-13 11:18 PM
GEORGE456 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GEORGE456 Click here to Send GEORGE456 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Primetime21

from personal experience, whenever i take a winter break from golf I come back like Tiger Woods. Come summertime I'm taking beaver pelt divots and chili dipping again.

Old Post 01-03-13 12:05 AM
Primetime21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Primetime21 Click here to Send Primetime21 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ryanjep

Hey 3, good luck this season. i remember tailing a few tourneys last year.

Old Post 01-03-13 12:26 AM
ryanjep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ryanjep Click here to Send ryanjep a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

thanks for getting this going again, always like ti when you & Bear are on the same page
GL

Old Post 01-03-13 01:14 AM
msudogs is online now Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thanks for starting the thread 3 G's.
Heres to a profitable 2013 in golf plays. I had 5 wins last year (only 4 posted) on overall tournament winners. 3 on pga, 1 on lpga 1 on seniors. Looking for a similar year after again. I was shutout in 2011 with several near misses.

I love a short field. Longer odds players have a much better shot and therefore value. The field this week has only 1 past champion (stricker) who is also the only past runner up in the field. So it is wide open.

Was looking hard at Carl petterson, but I think the lumpy fella will get tired on those rolling hills of 7500 or so yards over 4 days. That said, I am going with two first time winners instead.

Charlie Beljan - 70:1 - I liken him to Garrigus 2 years ago when he lost in a playoff to Byrd.

Tommy Gainey - 80:1

I don't like to go chalk too often, but for whatever its worth, if I did, I would take a healthy Dustin Johnson this week @ 10:1

Old Post 01-03-13 02:01 AM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

some stolen stuff, who knows., trust three

Each week of the season, our experts will share their insights into which players fit the criteria for our four categories: Horse for the Course (a golfer who knows the track inside and out), Birdie Buster (a guy who could take it low this week), Super Sleeper (a player who could unexpectedly contend) and Winner.

This week's tournament: The Hyundai Tournament of Champions at The Plantation Course at Kapalua Resort in Maui, Hawaii.

Horse for the Course

Michael Collins, ESPN.com senior golf analyst: Steve Stricker
Making his seventh appearance in the event, this time as defending champion, he's a lock to be in here. You'd think a guy who lives in Wisconsin would take awhile to get warmed up, but it seems Stricker plays his best early in the year so expect him to come out like gangbusters again.

Farrell Evans, ESPN.com senior golf writer: Steve Stricker
The 45-year-old, 12-time PGA Tour champ didn't win another event in 2012 after his 3-shot victory last January at Kapalua, but he did have six more top-10s on the year. While Stricker is the oldest player in the 30-man field, his experience and deft putting stroke could lead him to his 10th win since turning 40.

Bob Harig, ESPN.com senior golf writer: Steve Stricker
The defending champion shot 24 under last year at Kapalua and in his past four appearances in the event has not finished worse than 10th.

Kevin Maguire, ESPN.com senior golf editor: Carl Pettersson
The last two times he started his PGA Tour season at the winners-only event (2009, 2011), Pettersson averaged 15 under. He clearly figured something out after averaging more than 7 over his first two trips to the islands.

Birdie Buster

Michael Collins: Dustin Johnson
Johnson is making his fourth start at this tournament. If the wind blows in the same direction every day, expect this bomber to have a big showing this week. Last time he teed it up here in 2011, he finished ninth.

Farrell Evans: Ian Poulter
The dapper 36-year-old Englishman was the star of the Ryder Cup. Then he won the HSBC Champions in November. Poulter is brimming with a new confidence that could take him in 2013 to his first win in a major championship.

Bob Harig: Jason Dufner
He played well into the fall, contending at tournaments in Australia and Malaysia as well as the World Challenge a month ago. Perhaps his game remains sharp through golf's short offseason.

Kevin Maguire: Keegan Bradley
In his Kapalua debut last year, Bradley's hopes for a season-opening win were dashed with a 75 in Round 3. Now with (another) chip on his shoulder when it comes to all the belly putter flak he'll likely catch this year, the 28-year-old can start 2013 off on the right foot.

Super Sleeper

Michael Collins: Scott Piercy
In 2012, making his first start at Kapalua, Piercy got better every day, shooting 9 under on the weekend. Now coming off his win in Canada and making it into the top 50 in the OWGR, expect big things this year from the Las Vegas native.

Farrell Evans: Tommy Gainey
The man with the pro game's most original swing is the happiest player in the field this week. After starting his 2012 season by missing eight of his first 16 cuts, the South Carolina native qualified as the least likely player to make it to Kapalua. His final-round 60 to win the McGladrey in October proved his homemade game works under pressure.

Bob Harig: Ian Poulter
The European Ryder Cup star appears to be sleeping his way into the tournament. He admits it is an intrusion into his offseason, which will take another six-week break following this event.

Kevin Maguire: Charlie Beljan
After suffering through panic attacks that saw him taken from the course on a stretcher in the 2012 season finale before cashing the champion's check two days later, Beljan proved he's got the game to compete on the PGA Tour. A week of free money will certainly help him get acclimated to life on tour as a winner.

Winner

Michael Collins: Nick Watney
This will be Watney's fourth appearance at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, but his first trip in back-to-back years. After he closed the weekend last year with consecutive 68s, this will be the first of three wins in 2013, with his inspiration coming from his San Francisco 49ers.

Farrell Evans: Ryan Moore
Over the last couple of months of the 2012 season, few players on the PGA Tour were better than this former U.S. Amateur champion. Moore played his way into the Tour Championship with two top-10s in the FedEx Cup playoffs. Then he nearly won in Atlanta. In his next event, he won in Las Vegas at Justin Timberlake's tournament to finish his year. In Moore's only other appearance at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions in 2010, he finished in a tie for sixth.

Bob Harig: Dustin Johnson
The wide fairways and big elevation advantages ought to suit the long-hitting Johnson, who seems poised for a big year.

Kevin Maguire: Webb Simpson
He has played Kapalua all of one time and his worst score is a 4-under 69 (yes, it's a par-73). A T-3 finish last year (at 19 under, no less) proves he can start the season fast. This time, he'll punch his return ticket to Hawaii much earlier in the year.

Old Post 01-03-13 06:06 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bear
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Back for one more overall play and some first round matchups. The first t time is today (Friday) at 3:30 PM EST. Plenty of time to get them in.

Overall Winner Add:
John Huh: 40-1

1st Round Matchups Add:
Rickie Fowler +100 over Jason Dufner
John Huh +145 over Keegan Bradley
Jonas Blixt +100 over Ian Poulter

All Plays:
Rickie Fowler +110 over Jason Dufner - 1st round
John Huh +145 over Keegan Bradley - 1st round
Jonas Blixt +100 over Ian Poulter - 1st round

Charlie Beljan - 70:1 - Overall
Tommy Gainey - 80:1 - Overall
John Huh: 40-1 - Overall

Good luck everyone.

Old Post 01-04-13 06:39 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mike dzn

I like keegan Bradley 14th or better myself

Old Post 01-04-13 06:57 PM
mike dzn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike dzn Click here to Send mike dzn a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mike dzn

I like keegan Bradley 14th or better myself lets get hot with these picks

Old Post 01-04-13 06:58 PM
mike dzn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike dzn Click here to Send mike dzn a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Sherlock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

How's it going, fellow golf nuts?

Thanks for starting this thread, threegs.

Time to grip it and rip it!

Today the 2013 PGA Golf Tour tees off over in the sunny and beautiful HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

I'm going to go to the 1st tee with 2 familiar names with fairly decent odds.

11 - 1 .... WEBB SIMPSON
28 - 1 .... HUNTER MAHAN

FORE!

Good Luck Everyone!

Old Post 01-04-13 07:30 PM
Sherlock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sherlock Click here to Send Sherlock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bostonshamrock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thanks for starting this eggs- great job last year- will be following closely.

im taking a shot with stricker and simpson both at +1000 for the tourney

good luck gentlemen!

Old Post 01-04-13 09:06 PM
bostonshamrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bostonshamrock Click here to Send bostonshamrock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bostonshamrock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

* threegs my bad- my typing sucks

Old Post 01-04-13 09:09 PM
bostonshamrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bostonshamrock Click here to Send bostonshamrock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Sherlock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

BUMMER!

They just cancelled today's play and wiped out everyone's round.

Everyone will try to play 36 holes tomorrow.

And my guy Webb Simpson had a 2 stroke lead @ -3.

But that was wiped out.

Old Post 01-05-13 01:09 AM
Sherlock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sherlock Click here to Send Sherlock a Private Message Edit post   Report post
BIV2

Hi all..
Best of Luck for all.
Why Did they cancel today,s Play? No Update on CBS Sportsline.

I took Johnson & Gainey...

Faded Ben curtis in matchups.

Old Post 01-05-13 01:40 AM
BIV2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIV2 Click here to Send BIV2 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Sherlock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

The weather in Hawaii was absolutely miserable today.

There were off and on squalls with very high winds and sheets of rain.

They stopped play a couple of times before finally saying that's enough.

Everyone was totally amazed that Simpson was -3 under these horrendous conditions.

And they're expecting more of the same tomorrow.

Looks like a bad tropical storm is hitting Hawaii.

Old Post 01-05-13 01:48 AM
bostonshamrock
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Cancelled today again - shortened to 54 holes-36 sunday-18 monday

Old Post 01-05-13 09:47 PM
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Might actually play some today. It will be interesting for sure. I need two tvs now.

GL!

Old Post 01-06-13 09:56 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Balls in flight. Something to do on a boring Monday, if only I had cable!

Old Post 01-07-13 07:04 PM
BIV2

Had Johnson at 12-1.

1-1 on the Ben curtis Fade for me.

Next tourney in 2 days//

GL

Old Post 01-09-13 01:08 AM
BIV2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIV2 Click here to Send BIV2 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: