StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Cnotes MLB May's News-Notes-Trends & Best Bets !!
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Evening Pod's:

Milwaukee - 7:05 PM ET Milwaukee +106 500
Pittsburgh - Over 7.5 500

Seattle - 7:05 PM ET NY Yankees -120 500
NY Yankees - Under 7.5 500

San Francisco - 7:07 PM ET San Francisco -106 500
Toronto - Over 9.5 500

Boston - 7:10 PM ET Tampa Bay -120 500
Tampa Bay - Over 7 500

Cincinnati - 7:10 PM ET Miami +167 500 POD # 3
Miami - Under 8 500

Colorado - 8:05 PM ET Colorado +122 500 POD # 2
Chi. Cubs - Over 7.5 500

NY Mets - 8:15 PM ET NY Mets +190 500 POD # 4
St. Louis - Over 8.5 500

Kansas City - 10:05 PM ET Kansas City -103 500
LA Angels - Under 9 500

Washington - 10:10 PM ET Washington +133 500 POD # 1
LA Dodgers - Over 7 500

Believe in the 3 G's
GIRLS, GOLF,GAMBLING not in any particular order.

Old Post 05-16-13 12:01 AM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Diamond Trends - Thursday

May 16, 2013

SU TREND OF THE DAY:

-- The Brewers are 0-10 since May 18, 2010 as a dog when they are off a loss in which they had at least three times as many hits as runs and it is the last game of a series for a net profit of $1000 when playing against.

OU TREND OF THE DAY:

-- The Mets are 10-0 OU since August 24, 2011 after a loss in which they drew 1 or fewer walks and it is the last game of a series for a net profit of $1000 when playing the over.

PITCHER TREND OF THE DAY:

-- When Justin Verlander starts the Tigers are 11-0 since June 11, 2008 if not a dog of +110 or more, after walking at least 4 at home for a net profit of $1100.

BIBLE ACTIVE TREND:

-- Matt Cain has produced a team record of 17-0 (+$1,752) since 2012 after throwing more than 100 pitches in a win his previous start.

ACTIVE TRENDS:

-- The Yankees are 0-9 OU since April 29, 2012 at home when they are off a loss in which they never led and it is the last game of a series for a net profit of $900 when playing the under.

-- The Rangers are 0-7 OU since April 05, 2013 when they are off a win in which they scored in at most two separate innings for a net profit of $700 when playing the under.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:05 PM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Mariners (19-21) at Yankees (25-15)

Game: 3
Venue: Yankee Stadium
Date: May 16, 2013 7:05 PM EDT

Raul Ibanez loved hitting at Yankee Stadium as a member of the team last season.

Switching to a Seattle Mariners uniform doesn't appear to have changed that in the slightest.

Ibanez will try to help the Mariners to a rare series win in New York on Thursday night when he takes his swings against fellow 40-year-old Andy Pettitte.

After a solid regular season in a part-time role with the Yankees in 2012, Ibanez electrified Yankee Stadium crowds in October by going 6 for 13 with three homers in five postseason games there. He went deep twice in Game 3 of the division series against Baltimore, including the game-winning shot in the 12th inning.

Mariners manager Eric Wedge decided to start the lefty-hitting Ibanez against southpaw CC Sabathia in Tuesday's series opener, and his left fielder responded with a home run in a 4-3 loss.

Ibanez continued his offensive barrage in the Bronx on Wednesday with a grand slam as Seattle opened a 7-0 lead in the first inning en route to a 12-2 victory. He also connected for a two-run homer in the fifth, completing his 17th multihomer game.

In his last 12 games at Yankee Stadium, Ibanez is 18 for 36 with nine home runs and 20 RBIs.

"I said silliness happens here. There's also something that happens here with Raul," teammate Brendan Ryan said. "It's awesome."

Wedge figures to start his hottest hitter against another tough lefty in Pettitte, who has held Ibanez to one hit - a homer - in 12 at_bats over the past five years.

Kyle Seager added a three-run shot Wednesday for the Mariners (19-21), who set season highs in runs and hits with 16.

A win in the finale would give Seattle only its second series win in the Bronx since the 2004 season. The Mariners, 4-0-1 in their last five series overall, have lost 29 of 42 on the road against the Yankees (25-15).

Vernon Wells hit his 10th home run - and fourth in nine games - for New York, which had won seven of eight.

A matchup with Kansas City on Saturday came at an opportune time for Pettitte (4-2, 3.83 ERA), who gave up two runs over seven innings with one walk and seven strikeouts in a 3-2 road victory. The left-hander, who improved to 15-3 lifetime against the Royals, had been tagged for 11 runs and 14 hits over 9 1-3 innings in his previous two starts.

"Whenever you get knocked around, it's not a good feeling. You never want that doubt to creep in that you're not able to get it done," Pettitte said. "Hopefully I can continue to get sharper and sharper."

Pettitte is 11-12 with a 4.39 ERA against the Mariners but has held them to two runs or fewer in six of his last eight meetings.

Jason Bay is 14 for 35 (.400) with a homer off Pettitte.

Aaron Harang (1-4, 7.30) looks to provide Seattle with a third consecutive quality performance. After going 0-3 with an 11.37 ERA and six homers allowed in his first three outings, the right-hander is 1-1 with a 3.00 ERA and hasn't been taken deep in two starts this month.

This will be Harang's first appearance since May 7, when he allowed two runs over six innings in a 4-1 loss at Pittsburgh.

Harang has never faced the Yankees but is very familiar with Lyle Overbay (11 for 24), Ichiro Suzuki (1 for 16) and Travis Hafner (3 for 14).

----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Mariners at Yankees
Tue, May 14 Final 3 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Mariners at Yankees
Wed, May 15 Final 12 to 2
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Mariners at Yankees
Thu, May 16 - 7:05PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:08 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Brewers (16-22) at Pirates (23-17)

Game: 4
Venue: PNC Park
Date: May 16, 2013 7:05 PM EDT

Following a solid performance in his debut, Francisco Liriano faces a much tougher challenge in his second start since coming off the disabled list.

The veteran left-hander looks to win for the second time in as many outings and lead the Pirates to their sixth win in seven games Thursday night against the Milwaukee Brewers at PNC Park.

The Brewers have been one of the best hitting teams against left-handers, though one Pittsburgh Pirates' southpaw has already given them fits in this series.

Wandy Rodriguez limited the Brewers (16-22) to one run over seven innings to help Pittsburgh (23-17) to a 3-1 victory Wednesday.

"These are important moving forward for confidence,' said second baseman Neil Walker, who delivered a two-run single. "But being at home here, we feel like it doesn't matter who we play, we need to take advantage of that home field advantage.'

The Pirates now hope to win three of four from the Brewers behind Liriano (1-0, 1.69 ERA), who has given up three runs and struck out 17 over 13 2-3 innings in two career starts at PNC Park.

Liriano broke his right arm while slapping a door in his house on Dec. 25 and finally made his first start Saturday, striking out nine and allowing one run in 5 1-3 innings in an 11-2 win over the light-hitting Mets.

"He's pitched before and he's been good,' Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "Good to have him in the fold now, for me it's - three left-handers in the rotation, I like that a lot. Especially in the division we're in, the way we match up against the team."

Liriano is 4-2 with a 3.86 ERA in seven career starts against the Brewers, who had hit .291 against left-handers before getting shut down by Rodriguez Wednesday.

Ryan Braun (.438) and Carlos Gomez (.415) are among the top hitters in baseball against left-handed pitching, while Jean Segura is 17 for 46 (.370) with four homers and 10 RBIs when facing southpaws.

Gomez has also hit Liriano hard, going 5 for 8 with two homers and a double in their matchups.

The Brewers' starting rotation, though, has been the team's biggest problem, posting a 6.59 ERA during the team's 2-11 skid this month.

"Obviously we're struggling right now but we've got to get over it,' said Wednesday's losing pitcher Yovani Gallardo. "We've got to work through it and turn it around as soon as possible.'

Hiram Burgos (1-1, 6.86) will try to get the rotation headed in the right direction as he looks to bounce back from a miserable performance.

After allowing six runs and 13 hits in his first three starts, the rookie right-hander was tagged for 12 runs and 11 hits over three innings in a 13-7 loss at Cincinnati on Saturday.

"We tried to save our bullpen," Burgos said. "It was the worst outing of my career. The good thing about baseball is you have another game.'

The right-hander pitched well against the Pirates on May 1, striking out six and allowing two runs and four hits over seven innings before leaving without a decision in a 6-4 loss.

Pedro Alvarez and Michael McKenry took Burgos deep in that contest, but they're a combined 0 for 11 in this series.

Andrew McCutchen went 0 for 3 in Wednesday's win, leaving him 4 for 33 (.121) over the past eight home games against the Brewers.

---------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Brewers at Pirates
Mon, May 13 Final 5 to 1
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Brewers at Pirates
Tue, May 14 Final 3 to 4
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Brewers at Pirates
Wed, May 15 Final 1 to 3
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 4
Brewers at Pirates
Thu, May 16 - 7:05PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:10 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Reds (24-16) at Marlins (11-29)

Venue: Marlins Park
Date: May 16, 2013 7:10 PM EDT

While the Cincinnati Reds usually find a way to win with Mat Latos on the mound, the Miami Marlins are having trouble scoring regardless of what pitcher they're facing.

The undefeated Latos will try to win a fifth consecutive start and lead the Reds to their season-best sixth straight victory Thursday against a Miami team that has the worst offense in the majors.

Following a 4-0 victory Wednesday, Cincinnati (24-16) goes for a three-game sweep at Marlins Park in the opening series of a nine-game road trip.

Leadoff man Shin-Soo Choo matched a career high with four hits, including two homers, and four Reds pitchers combined to hand Miami (11-29) its league-worst seventh shutout.

"This ballpark is big," said Choo, who has a team-leading nine home runs. "Some balls fly, some don't. I'm not thinking about hitting homers. I'm just swinging hard."

While Choo has two multihomer efforts in his last seven games, Miami has gone deep three times over its last eight while getting held to 12 runs.

Cincinnati is 5-1 in this season series and has won 13 of the last 15 regular-season starts made by Latos (4-0, 3.04 ERA). He's 8-0 in that span.

The right-hander allowed 14 runs through seven outings this year before yielding half that many Sunday, but Latos still won his fourth straight start. He went six innings in a 13-7 victory over Milwaukee, giving up two home runs after not surrendering one in his previous four outings.

"I didn't allow myself to have my best stuff," Latos said. "I was aggravated with myself. It was a poor performance."

The Reds have given their starters 190 runs of support - among the most in the majors - and they've provided Latos a team-high 33.

Latos may not need much help this time against an NL-worst Miami team that's last in the majors in runs (110), batting average (.224) and homers (22).

Justin Ruggiano is 4 for 27 with 10 strikeouts over his last eight games, Placido Polanco is 3 for 22 in his last six and Greg Dobbs was in a 1-for-23 slump before going 2 for 4 on Wednesday.

"We definitely have some guys that are struggling," said manager Mike Redmond, whose club has lost four in a row and seven of eight. "We need guys to step up. We know we're capable of more offense than this."

Although he's 0-2 with a 7.45 ERA in four career starts in Miami, Latos allowed one run and struck out 10 over seven innings before leaving without a decision in a 2-1 home loss to the Marlins on April 19.

Miami counters with right-hander Jose Fernandez (2-2, 3.65), who goes after his third straight victory following a rough three-start stretch in which he went 0-2 with a 7.62 ERA.

The rookie has struck out 16 over his last two outings, yielding three runs in 13 innings.

"I keep learning every start," said Fernandez, who has two of the team's three wins this month.

Fernandez hopes to learn from his last outing against the Reds on April 18, when he surrendered five runs over four innings in an 11-1 road loss.

Choo and Zack Cozart each went 2 for 3 against Fernandez in that victory.

Joey Votto, 2 for 4 in Wednesday's win, is 12 for 19 with two homers and five RBIs over his last four games against Miami.

------------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Reds at Marlins
Tue, May 14 Final 6 to 2
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Reds at Marlins
Wed, May 15 Final 4 to 0
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Reds at Marlins
Thu, May 16 - 7:10PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:13 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Red Sox (23-17) at Rays (20-19)

Venue: Tropicana Field
Date: May 16, 2013 7:10 PM EDT

Tampa Bay's Alex Cobb earned an unique distinction in his last start, but likely needs to pitch better than he did if the Rays are to bounce back from their first defeat in a week.

After their ace was injured during another rough outing, Cobb and the Rays try to keep the visiting Boston Red Sox from winning two straight for the first time in two weeks Thursday night.

Cobb (4-2, 3.09 ERA) allowed three runs and struck out 13 while throwing 112 pitches in 4 2-3 innings of a 6-3 win over San Diego on Friday. The right-hander became the first major leaguer to fan 13 while failing to complete five innings.

"I don't know if that's a good thing,' he said. "As a starting pitcher, you want to go at least five innings every time out.'

He recorded 12 of 14 outs on strikeouts, including four in the third inning when a wild pitch on strike three allowed Will Venable to reach base.

"I can't really explain why or how that happened. It was just one of those weird days,' he said. "Obviously, that's not my goal. I never go into a game trying to strike everybody out."

The Boston native is 2-2 with a 3.18 ERA in four starts against the Red Sox (23-17). He gave up four runs in 6 2-3 innings of a 5-0 loss at Fenway Park on April 14.

Cobb looks to help the Rays (20-19) regroup after their season-high six-game winning streak ended with a 9-2 loss to the Red Sox on Wednesday.

Stephen Drew hit his second career grand slam to highlight an eight-run third inning as Boston roughed up David Price to snap a three-game skid. Price left because of tightness in his left triceps after he allowed four runs in 2 1-3 innings.

"It's just something I take pride in, being available every fifth day and being out there for my team,' Price said. "I don't know how that's looking right now, but I'll just get re-evaluated (Thursday)."

The Red Sox won for the third time in 12 games by equaling their run total from the previous three contests. Jon Lester threw seven strong innings to improve to 6-0 for Boston, which last won two straight May 1-2.

"It's bound to turn around,' Drew said. "(Wednesday) was a great night to have and hopefully we can keep it going.'

With two hits Wednesday, Boston's Dustin Pedroia is batting .517 (15 for 29) in the last seven games.

Scheduled Red Sox starter Felix Doubront (3-1, 6.40) looks to avoid a third straight rough outing when he returns to the rotation in the decisive finale. The left-hander allowed six runs and a career-high 12 hits over 3 2-3 innings of a 7-0 loss at Texas on May 3. He then yielded six and 11 hits in 5 1-3 innings of relief in a 15-8 defeat to Minnesota last Wednesday.

Those outings came after he gave up 11 runs in 23 1-3 inning while going 3-0 in four April starts.

"The work I'm doing now, I know I can get better results," Doubront told the Red Sox's official website. "I'm looking forward to pitching (Thursday) and prove that everything I've been working on this past week is good."

He's 2-1 with a 4.03 ERA in four starts versus Rays.

Tampa Bay star Evan Longoria is batting .417 (15 for 36) while the Rays have gone 6-3 on a 10-game homestand.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Red Sox at Rays
Tue, May 14 Final 3 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Red Sox at Rays
Wed, May 15 Final 9 to 2
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 3
Red Sox at Rays
Thu, May 16 - 7:10PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:15 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Tigers (22-16) at Rangers (26-14)

Game: 1
Venue: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Date: May 16, 2013 8:05 PM EDT

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - Justin Verlander says it's May. Yu Darvish says it's not the first great opposing pitcher he's faced, and won't be his last.

True on all counts. These showdowns don't come along every day, though. And this one - the AL's strikeout king against his potential heir - is an enticing as they come.

The hard-throwing right-handers from Detroit and Texas will meet Thursday night in a billing that really hasn't been matched in Arlington since Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens faced off at old Arlington Stadium in 1989 - five years before Rangers Ballpark opened.

"That's pretty good," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "I would say that would be pretty interesting, I would think."

You would think. But you wouldn't be Verlander, the staff ace for Detroit. Or Darvish, the Rangers' second-year star. Or Texas manager Ron Washington.

"In May, getting excited, I try not to," Washington said. "It's great for the fans. If it doesn't go in our favor, it doesn't end our season. If Verlander has his stuff, it will be a long night. If Darvish has his stuff, it will be a long night. By long night, I mean runs will be at a premium, and it will be the first one to make a mistake."

That's pretty much the way it was April 30, 1989, when Ryan and the Rangers beat Clemens and the Boston Red Sox 2-1. Both went eight innings. Clemens gave up six hits with six strikeouts. Ryan limited the Red Sox to three hits and fanned 11.

Ryan is now the CEO in Texas, and figures to be watching from his usual seat in the first row near home plate.

"It's a nice matchup," Leyland said. "It's good for baseball."

Darvish is baseball's strikeout leader with 80 and on pace for 300, which hasn't been reached since Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling did it as Arizona teammates in 2002. Verlander has been the AL's strikeout leader three of the past four seasons.

Verlander doesn't push 100 mph on the radar gun quite as much as he used to, but always seems to find the velocity he needs in big moments.

Darvish can hit 95 mph and beyond, but the Japanese star is known more for varying speeds on his fastball and an array of pitches that had him within an out of a perfect game in his first start of the season at Houston.

"I saw him pitch last year a couple times," Verlander said. "I know he's striking out the world this year, but other than that, I haven't seen too much."

By their standards, both starters are coming off subpar games.

Darvish gave up two home runs and fell behind 3-1 in a rematch with the light-hitting Astros on Saturday, but improved to 6-1 when the Rangers rallied and won 8-7 despite a leaky Texas bullpen. He "only" had eight strikeouts in seven innings after getting 14 for the second time this season in his previous start. He's had at least 10 strikeouts four times.

Verlander had his worst outing of the year in a 7-6 loss to Cleveland that same day, giving up six hits and four runs in just five innings. He walked a season-high five and struck out seven.

Still, Verlander (4-3) has the edge over Darvish in ERA, 1.93 to 2.73.

"When I made the decision to come to the big leagues, I knew that I was going to be facing a lot of great pitchers," Darvish said through an interpreter. "I wasn't just thinking Verlander but there are many other great pitchers as well."

And Verlander isn't just thinking Darvish, or big matchup, especially this early.

"You don't need to get too amped up, especially for a game in May, and try to do too much," Verlander said. "That's the wrong way to approach it."

Washington sees the same approach from his prized ace-in-the-making.

"Because he's a competitor, he knows who's on the other side," Washington said. "But to stick your chest out and say, 'I relish that,' it's a game in May. He wants to win it as bad as Verlander wants to win it, but it's certainly not a championship or World Series matchup. It's just a ballgame that's on the schedule."

Verlander is 7-2 with a 2.02 ERA in 11 starts against Texas, going 3-0 with a 1.29 ERA in four outings at Rangers Ballpark.

Darvish won all three of his starts against Detroit last season behind a 3.60 ERA. He struck out 23 in 20 innings but walked 11.

The Tigers (22-16) enter this four-game series following Wednesday's 7-5 loss to Houston that prevented them from completing a three-game sweep. Detroit has dropped five of eight following a 10-2 stretch.

Texas (26-14) won for the sixth time in seven games Wednesday, 6-2 in Oakland.

----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Tigers at Rangers
Thu, May 16 - 8:05PM EDT

GAME 2
Tigers at Rangers
Fri, May 17 - 8:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Tigers at Rangers
Sat, May 18 - 8:05PM EDT

GAME 4
Tigers at Rangers
Sun, May 19 - 8:05PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:17 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Giants (23-17) at Rockies (21-19)

Venue: Coors Field
Date: May 16, 2013 8:40 PM EDT

Though they had Marco Scutaro only for a brief time, the Colorado Rockies might regret sending him to the San Francisco Giants.

Scutaro has ripped apart Colorado pitching since that trade - as have many of his teammates while the Giants have dominated this NL West rivalry - and he's on a roll going into a four-game set at Coors Field starting Thursday night.

Despite suffering a two-game sweep in Toronto this week, San Francisco (23-17) has won nine of 14 while Scutaro has hit .482 with 13 runs scored. He's hit safely in all of those games, though his streak of multihit games ended at seven in Wednesday's 11-3 loss.

Scutaro joined Colorado for 2012 but was traded to San Francisco in July for infielder Charlie Culberson. While Culberson remains in the Rockies' farm system, Scutaro's .315 average leads the Giants after he hit .362 for them last season before winning the NL championship series MVP and a World Series ring.

San Francisco is 14-2 against the Rockies since acquiring Scutaro, and he's hit .418 with 13 RBIs in that span. He's 12 for 27 with seven RBIs in six games back at Coors.

The Giants' current nine-game winning streak over Colorado (21-19) is their longest in the 20-year history of this series. They've averaged 7.1 runs during that run while batting .355.

"They're a real good situational at-bat team," manager Walt Weiss told the Rockies' official website. "They don't expand the zone to help out the pitcher to let the pitcher off the hook. The pitcher is constantly having to earn every out they get against that club. That's how they ended up winning the championship last year."

Scutaro was 6 for 11 in these teams' lone series this season April 8-10. The Giants totaled 23 runs as Hunter Pence had five RBIs, giving him 17 in 16 games against Colorado in a San Francisco uniform.

Buster Posey has torched the Rockies since the arrival of Scutaro and Pence, batting .491 with five homers and 18 RBIs in 15 games. Pablo Sandoval has hit .377 with eight homers and 20 RBIs in 19 matchups with Colorado since the start of 2011.

The Rockies have lost 24 of 29 against San Francisco and have not won any of the previous 10 series.

"I feel like ever since I've been in the big leagues, every game we've played the Giants we've been in it, but they always seem to find that key moment," outfielder Eric Young said.

Matt Cain (2-2, 5.04 ERA) is looking to beat the Rockies for a fifth straight time. He's 7-1 with a 2.79 ERA in his last 10 starts against them.

The right-hander didn't face Colorado last month, when he was 0-2 with a 6.49 ERA in six starts. He's bounced back to win both of his outings in May, yielding three runs and eight hits in 15 1-3 innings.

Colorado's 1-2-3 hitters of Young, Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez have batted a combined .134 (9 for 67) against Cain.

That trio went hitless Wednesday in a 6-3 road loss to the Chicago Cubs, the Rockies' sixth defeat in eight games.

Jhoulys Chacin (3-2, 2.70) is looking to avoid a third loss in as many starts following a stint on the disabled list. He's allowed eight runs and 16 hits in 12 innings since returning, compared to 3-0 with a 1.46 ERA before straining his back.

Colorado has lost his last five starts against the Giants as Chacin has gone 0-3 with a 5.26 ERA. During that span, Sandoval is 7 for 12 against the right-hander with two homers.

Sandoval failed to homer in a fourth straight game Wednesday, when the Giants gave up five first-inning runs after allowing six in Tuesday's 10-6 defeat.

"I can't think back to when we had two games, identical games, where we made mistakes there in the first inning," manager Bruce Bochy said. "... It's hard to explain. But it happened and now we've got to move on."

-----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Giants at Rockies
Thu, May 16 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 2
Giants at Rockies
Fri, May 17 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 3
Giants at Rockies
Sat, May 18 - 8:10PM EDT

GAME 4
Giants at Rockies
Sun, May 19 - 4:10PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:19 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: White Sox (17-21) at Angels (15-25)

Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Date: May 16, 2013 10:05 PM EDT

After opening their seven-game trip with a winning series, the Chicago White Sox hope that momentum helps them fare better against the Los Angeles Angels than they did last weekend.

The White Sox look to match a season high with their third straight victory Thursday night against the Angels.

Chicago (17-21) ranks among the worst in the majors in batting (.236), runs (136), and average with runners in scoring position (.222), but it pounded out a season-high 14 hits in Wednesday's 9-4 win at Minnesota. Adam Dunn homered twice and Dayan Viciedo hit his second in as many games for the White Sox, who totaled 36 hits while taking two of three from the Twins.

"Pitching obviously wins you games, but as far as the energy level and things like that, if the team is hitting, then the energy level will be up," Dunn said after Chicago's highest-scoring game of the year.

"Hopefully it carries over and this is the start of something good."

Dunn is 4 for 8 with three homers and six RBIs in the last two games after going 3 for 32 without an RBI in his previous nine.

"He's a guy you're excited to see up. When he gets hot, it's fun to watch," said Dylan Axelrod, Wednesday's winning pitcher.

Dunn, however, is 1 for 25 with 12 strikeouts in his last seven versus Los Angeles (15-25).

Viciedo is batting .444 with six RBIs in six games after missing three weeks with a strained left oblique. He went 5 for 8 last weekend while Chicago dropped two of three at home to the Angels, scoring in just four innings during the series.

Though they snapped a five-game overall skid to Los Angeles when Chris Sale tossed a one-hitter in Sunday's 3-0 victory, the White Sox have lost three straight and six of seven in Anaheim.

Scheduled Chicago starter Jose Quintana (2-1, 3.72 ERA) allowed three runs, including two-run homer to Mike Trout, in six innings of a 3-2 loss to the Angels on Saturday. The left-hander has lost his only two career starts against Los Angeles despite a 2.45 ERA.

Quintana will match up a second straight time with Jerome Williams (2-1, 3.06), who gave up two runs in 6 2-3 innings Saturday.

"I didn't really have my best stuff but I battled through it any way possible," said Williams, who is 2-0 with a 2.75 ERA in three starts versus Chicago.

The right-hander will make his third straight start in place of Garrett Richards, who had replaced injured Angels ace Jered Weaver but has been demoted to the bullpen.

Los Angeles followed its success in Chicago by dropping two of three at home to Kansas City. Trout homered for the second straight night Wednesday as the Angels lost for seventh time in 10 home games, 9-5 to the Royals.

The Angels recorded 33 hits in the series but stranded 22 runners, including 11 in the finale.

"I thought our at_bats were good, we took some walks when they were there," manager Mike Scioscia said. "But we couldn't get the one big hit with runners in scoring position to get us back close and give us a chance to take a lead."

Trout is batting .368 with six home runs and 17 RBIs in the last 15 contests. He's batted .341 with three homers in 12 games against the White Sox.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
White Sox at Angels
Thu, May 16 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 2
White Sox at Angels
Fri, May 17 - 10:05PM EDT

GAME 3
White Sox at Angels
Sat, May 18 - 4:05PM EDT

GAME 4
White Sox at Angels
Sun, May 19 - 3:35PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:21 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Nationals (21-19) at Padres (18-21)

Venue: PETCO Park
Date: May 16, 2013 10:10 PM EDT

Stephen Strasburg hasn't gotten off to the start he'd hoped, though the Washington Nationals haven't exactly been lighting things up for him offensively.

The slumping Nationals will try to provide Strasburg with some rare support Thursday night when he looks to end the longest winless drought of his career against a San Diego Padres team that has been tough to beat at Petco Park.

While its starters have done very well with a 1.82 ERA, Washington (21-19) has lost four of five thanks mainly to an offense that has averaged 2.0 runs and hit .207 with 46 strikeouts in those games.

The Nationals are also 6 for 45 (.133) with runners in scoring position over that span after going hitless in nine chances during a 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday. Adam LaRoche provided their only run over the past 22 innings with a solo homer in the fourth.

"I don't know if they were trying to do too much instead of just hitting the ball and putting it in play," manager Davey Johnson said. "But we'll figure it out. We've got the guys to do it.'

It certainly hasn't helped that Bryce Harper has missed two starts since hurting his chin and shoulder slamming into the right-field wall trying to make a catch in Monday's win. Harper, who leads the team in batting average (.300), homers (10) and RBIs (21), appeared as a pinch-hitter in the ninth Wednesday and hopes to return to the lineup for the opener of this four-game series.

The Nationals are searching for any kind of offensive spark to back Strasburg (1-5, 3.10 ERA), having totaled 13 runs of support over his career-worst streak of seven consecutive starts without a win.

Washington's 2.74 run-support-average during the right-hander's starts ranks among the lowest in baseball.

Strasburg has also lost five straight decisions over his last seven outings despite posting a 3.61 ERA with 48 strikeouts over 42 1-3 innings.

The San Diego native yielded four runs and seven hits over four innings in a 6-1 loss to the Padres on May 15, 2012, though he'll make his first career start at Petco Park in front of friends and family.

"It's always good to be in your hometown. Everybody likes to do that," Johnson told the league's official website. "He is doing well, we just haven't scored him many runs. If we score him some runs, then he will be fine."

The Padres (18-21) have been more than fine at Petco Park, winning nine of their last 10 there. They've also won 13 of 19 overall after taking two in a row in Baltimore to wrap up their five-game road trip.

San Diego ranks near the bottom of the majors with a .246 batting average, but was 6 for 17 with runners in scoring position against the Orioles and has hit .286 in those situations over its last 19 games.

"We've been playing well the last three weeks,' said manager Bud Black, whose club bounced back after losing three straight at Tampa Bay. "Things have turned in a good way."

Black should feel good about sending scheduled starter Edinson Volquez (3-3, 5.15) to the mound. Since dropping three straight starts to open the season, the right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.59 ERA over his last five.

Volquez has made three starts against Washington, with his most recent being his best. He struck out seven and allowed one run over seven innings before leaving without a decision in a 2-1 win April 26, 2012.

The Padres have dropped five of six to the Nationals at Petco Park.

---------------------------------------------------------

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Nationals at Padres
Thu, May 16 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 2
Nationals at Padres
Fri, May 17 - 10:10PM EDT

GAME 3
Nationals at Padres
Sat, May 18 - 8:40PM EDT

GAME 4
Nationals at Padres
Sun, May 19 - 4:10PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:25 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Armadillo: Thursday's six-pack

Odds to win the 2013 Heisman Trophy:

3-1 Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M-- Defending champ is a soph.

6-1 Braxton Miller, Ohio State-- Meyer coaches other people's recruits better than anyone.

10-1 Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina-- Dominant defender.

10-1 AJ McCarron, Alabama-- Going for third straight national title.

10-1 Aaron Murray, Georgia-- Four of top five guys from the SEC.

12-1 Marqise Lee, USC-- Who is going to throw him the ball?

Armadillo: Thursday's List of 13: Random thoughts on a spring day.....

13) Tulane was improved on the basketball court this past winter, but when their move to the Big East fell apart, they had mass defections this spring. Green Wave’s best player, 6-8 Josh Davis (16 ppg, 11 rpg), has transferred to San Diego State and will be eligible to play this fall.

Good for Steve Fisher; not sure its good for college basketball.

12) In Stephen Strasburg’s eight starts, Nationals scored more than three runs once. Strasburg played college ball at San Diego State, is pitching at Petco tonight.

11) Tennessee poached the punter from Wyoming; Australian kid has to sit out a year, but he was #4 in MWC, #27 in country in punting LY and will help the Vols, who are rebuilding under yet another new coach, Butch Jones.

10) Harrison Barnes is first player in NBA history to score 25+ points in consecutive playoff games, when he had never scored 25+ in a regular season game. He's been better in the NBA than he ever was in college.

9) In six games since he got suspended during the Celtic series, JR Smith is shooting 27.2% (25-92) from the floor.

8) Eldrick Woods earned $7.8M on the golf course LY, $33M off it. Phil Mickelson actually earned more ($36M) than Woods off the course LY.

7) Long day in Baltimore Saturday; the first race at Pimlico is 10:45am; Preakness Stakes goes off around 6:20pm.

6) Bad news for the Rays: David Price left his start last night with a triceps issue; team started Wednesday wth a six-game win streak, ended it with a crisis on its hands. .

5) 38-year old Jamey Wright replaced Price; he has gone to spring training as a non-roster invitee the last six years, and made the major league roster all six times, which is really hard to do.

4) Jets brought David Garrard in to be one of their QBs this season, so of course he retired, because the Jets are dysfunctional. This pretty much guarantees that Mark Sanchez stays with the Jets and creates a controversy as to when rookie Geno Smith gets his shot at running their offense.

3) Home teams are 3-0 in second round of NHL playoffs after Chicago beat the Red Wings 4-1. Last second round series gets underway tonight with the Rangers visiting Boston.

2) Grizzlies dumped Oklahoma City out of the NBA playoffs with an 88-84 win, ending the series in five games, and turning the James Harden trade into a disaster for the Thunder. Once Russell Westbrook went down, OC was lost for a consistent second scoring option.

1) What does the NBA have against Seattle? League moved the Sonics out of there, because they wouldn't build a new arena (they had a perfectly fine 15-year old arena, didn't need a new one) and now the NBA won't let the Sacramento Kings move to Seattle. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:26 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB
Dunkel

Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
The Brewers look to bounce back from yesterday's 3-1 loss and take advantage of a Pittsburgh team that is 1-5 in its last 6 games after allowing 2 runs or less in the previous game. Milwaukee is the pick (+120) according to Dunkel, which has the Brewers favored by 1. Dunkel Pick: Milwaukee (+120). Here are all of today's picks.

THURSDAY, MAY 16

Game 951-952: NY Mets at St. Louis (1:45 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: NY Mets (Niese) 13.088; St. Louis (Wainwright) 16.153
Dunkel Line: St. Louis by 3; 6 1/2
Vegas Line: St. Louis (-220); 7 1/2
Dunkel Pick: St. Louis (-220); Under

Game 953-954: Milwaukee at Pittsburgh (7:05 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Milwaukee (Burgos) 15.115; Pittsburgh (Liriano) 13.930
Dunkel Line: Milwaukee by 1; 9
Vegas Line: Pittsburgh (-140); 8
Dunkel Pick: Milwaukee (+120); Over

Game 955-956: Cincinnati at Miami (7:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Cincinnati (Latos) 14.809; Miami (Fernandez) 15.325
Dunkel Line: Miami by 1/2; 7 1/2
Vegas Line: Cincinnati (-180); 7
Dunkel Pick: Miami (+160); Over

Game 957-958: San Francisco at Colorado (8:40 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: San Francisco (Cain) 15.026; Colorado (Chacin) 15.956
Dunkel Line: San Francisco by 1; 8
Vegas Line: San Francisco (-115); 9
Dunkel Pick: San Francisco (-115); Under

Game 959-960: Washington at San Diego (10:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Washington (Strasburg) 16.440; San Diego (Volquez) 15.396
Dunkel Line: Washington by 1; 6 1/2
Vegas Line: Washington (-150); 7
Dunkel Pick: Washington (-150); Under

Game 961-962: Seattle at NY Yankees (7:05 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Seattle (Harang) 16.516; NY Yankees (Pettitte) 16.011
Dunkel Line: Seattle by 1/2; 9 1/2
Vegas Line: NY Yankees (-170); 8 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Seattle (+150); Over

Game 963-964: Boston at Tampa Bay (7:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Boston (Doubront) 15.701; Tampa Bay (Cobb) 14.488
Dunkel Line: Boston by 1; 9
Vegas Line: Tampa Bay (-155); 8 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Boston (+135); Over

Game 965-966: Detroit at Texas (8:05 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Detroit (Verlander) 14.914; Texas (Darvish) 16.114
Dunkel Line: Texas by 1; 6 1/2
Vegas Line: Texas (-120); 7 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Texas (-120); Under

Game 967-968: Chicago White Sox at LA Angels (10:05 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: White Sox (Quintana) 14.472; LA Angels (Williams) 15.614
Dunkel Line: LA Angels by 1; 7
Vegas Line: LA Angels (-140); 8
Dunkel Pick: LA Angels (-140); Under

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:28 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB
Long Sheet

Thursday, May 16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NY METS (14 - 23) at ST LOUIS (26 - 13) - 1:45 PM
JON NIESE (L) vs. ADAM WAINWRIGHT (R)
Top Trends for this game.
NY METS are 14-23 (-11.3 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
NY METS are 14-23 (-11.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
NY METS are 45-63 (-22.6 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 2 seasons.
ST LOUIS is 26-13 (+11.0 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
ST LOUIS is 26-13 (+11.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
NY METS are 86-92 (+15.5 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 3 seasons.
NY METS are 88-71 (+28.4 Units) against the money line in road games when playing on Thursday since 1997.
NY METS are 64-62 (+17.5 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters over the last 3 seasons.

Head-to-Head Series History
ST LOUIS is 3-0 (+3.0 Units) against NY METS this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.0 Units)

JON NIESE vs. ST LOUIS since 1997
NIESE is 2-1 when starting against ST LOUIS with an ERA of 1.83 and a WHIP of 1.220.
His team's record is 3-1 (+2.5 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-2. (-1.1 units)

ADAM WAINWRIGHT vs. NY METS since 1997
WAINWRIGHT is 1-3 when starting against NY METS with an ERA of 7.11 and a WHIP of 1.342.
His team's record is 1-3 (-2.8 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-4. (-4.6 units)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MILWAUKEE (16 - 22) at PITTSBURGH (23 - 17) - 7:05 PM
HIRAM BURGOS (R) vs. FRANCISCO LIRIANO (L)
MILWAUKEE is 99-101 (-17.8 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
MILWAUKEE is 40-58 (-21.5 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
MILWAUKEE is 2-11 (-9.8 Units) against the money line in May games this season.
MILWAUKEE is 10-22 (-15.8 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday over the last 3 seasons.
MILWAUKEE is 99-101 (-17.8 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
PITTSBURGH is 23-17 (+10.2 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
PITTSBURGH is 23-17 (+10.2 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
PITTSBURGH is 41-26 (+11.7 Units) against the money line in home games in night games over the last 2 seasons.
PITTSBURGH is 18-12 (+9.2 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters this season.
PITTSBURGH is 3-12 (-10.6 Units) against the money line in home games when playing on Thursday over the last 3 seasons.

PITTSBURGH is 3-3 (-0.1 Units) against MILWAUKEE this season
3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=-0.2 Units, Under=-0.5 Units)

HIRAM BURGOS vs. PITTSBURGH since 1997
BURGOS is 0-0 when starting against PITTSBURGH with an ERA of 2.57 and a WHIP of 0.714.
His team's record is 0-1 (-1.4 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-1. (-1.4 units)

FRANCISCO LIRIANO vs. MILWAUKEE since 1997
LIRIANO is 4-2 when starting against MILWAUKEE with an ERA of 3.86 and a WHIP of 1.260.
His team's record is 4-3 (+1.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 3-3. (-0.3 units)

CINCINNATI (24 - 16) at MIAMI (11 - 29) - 7:10 PM
MAT LATOS (R) vs. JOSE FERNANDEZ (R)
CINCINNATI is 123-84 (+20.0 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
CINCINNATI is 623-695 (+58.0 Units) against the money line in road games since 1997.
CINCINNATI is 123-84 (+20.0 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
CINCINNATI is 407-451 (+38.1 Units) against the money line in road games in night games since 1997.
CINCINNATI is 450-504 (+43.9 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters since 1997.
CINCINNATI is 313-325 (+49.6 Units) against the money line in road games after a win since 1997.
CINCINNATI is 342-302 (+59.4 Units) against the money line in road games when playing against a team with a losing record since 1997.
MIAMI is 80-122 (-38.2 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
MIAMI is 43-56 (-17.8 Units) against the money line in home games over the last 2 seasons.
MIAMI is 4-16 (-13.0 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday over the last 2 seasons.
MIAMI is 79-120 (-37.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
MIAMI is 54-79 (-32.9 Units) against the money line in home games in night games over the last 3 seasons.
MIAMI is 54-81 (-23.7 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
MIAMI is 82-126 (-39.2 Units) against the money line after a loss over the last 3 seasons.
MIAMI is 37-64 (-21.0 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.

CINCINNATI is 5-1 (+2.5 Units) against MIAMI this season
3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+0.0 Units)

MAT LATOS vs. MIAMI since 1997
LATOS is 0-3 when starting against MIAMI with an ERA of 6.09 and a WHIP of 1.645.
His team's record is 2-4 (-4.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-4. (-2.6 units)

JOSE FERNANDEZ vs. CINCINNATI since 1997
FERNANDEZ is 0-1 when starting against CINCINNATI with an ERA of 11.25 and a WHIP of 2.250.
His team's record is 0-1 (-1.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-1. (-1.0 units)

SAN FRANCISCO (23 - 17) at COLORADO (21 - 19) - 8:40 PM
MATT CAIN (R) vs. JHOULYS CHACIN (R)
SAN FRANCISCO is 128-90 (+29.9 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO is 60-47 (+17.0 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO is 196-174 (+37.5 Units) against the money line on the road when the total is 9 to 9.5 since 1997.
SAN FRANCISCO is 60-33 (+23.2 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO is 128-88 (+32.1 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO is 81-51 (+26.7 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO is 493-483 (+49.4 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters since 1997.
SAN FRANCISCO is 30-17 (+16.9 Units) against the money line in road games after a loss over the last 2 seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO is 52-39 (+14.7 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 158-208 (-47.5 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 3 seasons.
COLORADO is 4-18 (-13.6 Units) against the money line as a home underdog of +100 to +125 over the last 2 seasons.
COLORADO is 84-96 (-27.5 Units) against the money line in home games over the last 3 seasons.
COLORADO is 23-47 (-30.0 Units) against the money line in May games over the last 3 seasons.
COLORADO is 67-97 (-30.6 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 3 seasons.
COLORADO is 158-208 (-47.5 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 3 seasons.

SAN FRANCISCO is 3-0 (+3.0 Units) against COLORADO this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.0 Units)

MATT CAIN vs. COLORADO since 1997
CAIN is 15-7 when starting against COLORADO with an ERA of 3.11 and a WHIP of 1.186.
His team's record is 18-10 (+6.6 units) in these starts. The OVER is 10-18. (-9.4 units)

JHOULYS CHACIN vs. SAN FRANCISCO since 1997
CHACIN is 3-4 when starting against SAN FRANCISCO with an ERA of 3.66 and a WHIP of 1.316.
His team's record is 3-6 (-3.6 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 6-3. (+2.8 units)

WASHINGTON (21 - 19) at SAN DIEGO (18 - 21) - 10:10 PM
STEPHEN STRASBURG (R) vs. EDINSON VOLQUEZ (R)
STRASBURG is 7-12 (-12.1 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons. (Team's Record)
SAN DIEGO is 94-104 (+8.6 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
SAN DIEGO is 49-43 (+14.8 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 121-86 (+19.6 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 19-6 (+12.0 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday over the last 2 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 198-168 (+25.5 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 3 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 79-53 (+18.1 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 43-29 (+14.2 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.

There were no past matchups in this series during this time period.

STEPHEN STRASBURG vs. SAN DIEGO since 1997
STRASBURG is 0-1 when starting against SAN DIEGO with an ERA of 9.00 and a WHIP of 2.250.
His team's record is 0-1 (-2.0 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 0-1. (-1.2 units)

EDINSON VOLQUEZ vs. WASHINGTON since 1997
VOLQUEZ is 1-1 when starting against WASHINGTON with an ERA of 5.87 and a WHIP of 1.370.
His team's record is 2-1 (+0.4 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-1. (+0.9 units)

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:29 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

SEATTLE (19 - 21) at NY YANKEES (25 - 15) - 7:05 PM
AARON HARANG (R) vs. ANDY PETTITTE (L)
NY YANKEES are 25-15 (+10.0 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
NY YANKEES are 22-12 (+9.2 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
HARANG is 36-24 (+23.4 Units) against the money line in road games after a win since 1997. (Team's Record)
NY YANKEES are 117-104 (-62.7 Units) against the money line in home games in May games since 1997.

SEATTLE is 1-1 (+0.2 Units) against NY YANKEES this season
1 of 1 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL this season . (Over=+1.0 Units)

AARON HARANG vs. NY YANKEES since 1997
No recent starts.

ANDY PETTITTE vs. SEATTLE since 1997
PETTITTE is 12-11 when starting against SEATTLE with an ERA of 3.96 and a WHIP of 1.370.
His team's record is 13-11 (-2.4 units) in these starts. The OVER is 12-12. (-1.6 units)

BOSTON (23 - 17) at TAMPA BAY (20 - 19) - 7:10 PM
FELIX DOUBRONT (L) vs. ALEX COBB (R)
BOSTON is 92-110 (-36.9 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 38-54 (-22.9 Units) against the money line against division opponents over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 60-79 (-33.3 Units) against the money line in night games over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 58-77 (-32.4 Units) against the money line against right-handed starters over the last 2 seasons.
BOSTON is 45-68 (-27.9 Units) against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
TAMPA BAY is 96-39 (+32.7 Units) against the money line as a home favorite of -150 to -175 since 1997.
TAMPA BAY is 483-573 (+20.0 Units) against the money line against division opponents since 1997.
BOSTON is 23-14 (+9.3 Units) against the money line on the road when the total is 8 to 8.5 over the last 2 seasons.

BOSTON is 4-1 (+3.2 Units) against TAMPA BAY this season
3 of 5 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+0.8 Units)

FELIX DOUBRONT vs. TAMPA BAY since 1997
DOUBRONT is 2-1 when starting against TAMPA BAY with an ERA of 4.03 and a WHIP of 1.567.
His team's record is 3-1 (+2.7 units) in these starts. The OVER is 2-2. (-0.1 units)

ALEX COBB vs. BOSTON since 1997
COBB is 2-2 when starting against BOSTON with an ERA of 3.18 and a WHIP of 1.191.
His team's record is 2-2 (-0.5 units) in these starts. The OVER is 1-3. (-2.0 units)

DETROIT (22 - 16) at TEXAS (26 - 14) - 8:05 PM
JUSTIN VERLANDER (R) vs. YU DARVISH (R)
DETROIT is 117-96 (-16.1 Units) against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons.
DETROIT is 123-188 (-51.1 Units) against the money line as a road underdog of +100 to +125 since 1997.
DETROIT is 50-56 (-17.2 Units) against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons.
DETROIT is 20-22 (-15.2 Units) against the money line in May games over the last 2 seasons.
DETROIT is 113-93 (-16.6 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field over the last 2 seasons.
DETROIT is 29-38 (-16.6 Units) against the money line in road games in night games over the last 2 seasons.
TEXAS is 62-56 (-17.6 Units) against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons.

There were no past matchups in this series during this time period.

JUSTIN VERLANDER vs. TEXAS since 1997
VERLANDER is 8-3 when starting against TEXAS with an ERA of 2.50 and a WHIP of 1.137.
His team's record is 9-4 (+4.2 units) in these starts. The OVER is 4-8. (-4.5 units)

YU DARVISH vs. DETROIT since 1997
DARVISH is 3-0 when starting against DETROIT with an ERA of 3.60 and a WHIP of 1.150.
His team's record is 3-0 (+3.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 3-0. (+3.0 units)

CHI WHITE SOX (17 - 21) at LA ANGELS (15 - 25) - 10:05 PM
JOSE QUINTANA (L) vs. JEROME WILLIAMS (R)
CHI WHITE SOX are 38-49 (-17.2 Units) against the money line when the total is 8 to 8.5 over the last 2 seasons.
CHI WHITE SOX are 16-9 (+10.0 Units) against the money line in road games in May games over the last 2 seasons.
CHI WHITE SOX are 483-486 (+47.6 Units) against the money line in road games against right-handed starters since 1997.
CHI WHITE SOX are 339-334 (+30.7 Units) against the money line in road games after a win since 1997.
LA ANGELS are 15-25 (-15.3 Units) against the money line in all games this season.
LA ANGELS are 7-14 (-11.8 Units) against the money line when playing on Thursday over the last 2 seasons.
LA ANGELS are 15-25 (-15.3 Units) against the money line in games played on a grass field this season.
LA ANGELS are 9-20 (-15.7 Units) against the money line in night games this season.
LA ANGELS are 9-15 (-10.3 Units) against the money line after a loss this season.

LA ANGELS is 2-1 (+1.1 Units) against CHI WHITE SOX this season
2 of 3 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL this season . (Under=+1.0 Units)

JOSE QUINTANA vs. LA ANGELS since 1997
QUINTANA is 0-2 when starting against LA ANGELS with an ERA of 2.45 and a WHIP of 1.545.
His team's record is 0-2 (-2.0 units) in these starts. The OVER is 0-2. (-2.2 units)

JEROME WILLIAMS vs. CHI WHITE SOX since 1997
WILLIAMS is 2-0 when starting against CHI WHITE SOX with an ERA of 2.75 and a WHIP of 1.322.
His team's record is 2-1 (+0.9 units) in these starts. The UNDER is 2-1. (+0.9 units)

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:30 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB
Armadillo's Write-Up

Thursday, May 16

Hot pitchers
-- Wainwright is 5-1, 2.05 in his last seven starts.
-- Liriano won his first '13 start, allowing one run in 5.1 IP.
-- Latos is 4-0, 3.19 in his last five starts. Fernandez is 2-0, 2.07 in his last couple starts.
-- Cain is 2-0, 1.76 in his last two starts.
-- Volquez is 3-0, 2.49 in his last four starts. 2-5;

-- Harang is 1-1, 3.00 in his last two starts (0-3, 11.37 first three).
-- Verlander is 2-1, 2.42 in his last four starts. Darvish is 4-0, 2.73 in his last five starts.

Cold pitchers
-- Niese is 0-4, 0-4, 8.49 in his last five starts.
-- Burgos allowed 12 runs in three IP last start, after going 1-0, 3.00 in his first three starts.
-- Chacin is 0-2, 6.00 since coming off the DL.
-- Strasburg is 0-5, 5.32 in his last seven starts.

-- Pettitte is 1-2, 6.35 in his last four starts.
-- Doubront has a 5.67 RA in five starts, but Red Sox won four of the five, scoring 30 runs. Cobb is 1-1, 5.29 in his last three starts.
-- White Sox lost last three Quintana starts (0-1, 5.63). Williams is 1-1, 5.73 in two starts this season.

Starting Pitchers/First Inning
You can wager on whether teams will score in first inning. Below is how often a starting pitcher has allowed 1+ runs in first inning in one of his starts........
-- Niese 3-8 (0 of last 4); Wainwright 2-8.
-- Burgos 1-4; Liriano 0-1
-- Latos 2-8; Fernandez 2-7
-- Cain 3-8; Chacin 2-6
-- Strasburg 4-8; Volquez 3-8 (0 of last 4)

-- Harang 3-5; Pettitte 2-7
-- Doubront 1-5; Cobb 2-7
-- Verlander 1-8; Darvish 4-8
-- Quintana 2-7; Williams 1-2

Totals
-- Eight of last twelve Met games went over the total.
-- Seven of last nine Pittsburgh games stayed under the total.
-- Eight of last eleven Cincinnati games went over the total.
-- Seven of last nine San Francisco games went over the total.
-- Six of last nine San Diego games stayed under the total.

-- Under is 9-3-1 in last thirteen Bronx games.
-- 16 of last 17 Tampa Bay games went over the total.
-- Seven of last ten Detroit games went over the total.
-- Four of last five Angel home games went over the total.

Hot teams
-- Cardinals won 12 of their last 14 games.
-- Pirates won five of their last six games.
-- Reds won their last five games, scoring 32 runs.
-- Padres won six of their last nine games.

-- Bronx won seven of its last nine games.
-- Rays won six of their last seven games.
-- Tigers won 12 of their last 18 games.
-- White Sox won three of their last four games.

Cold teams
-- Mets lost six in row, 14 of their last 18 games.
-- Brewers lost eleven of their last thirteen games.
-- Miami lost seven of its last eight games.
-- Colorado lost five of its last eight games. Giants lost their last two games, allowing 21 runs.
-- Nationals lost four of their last five games.

-- Mariners lost 10 of their last 15 road games.
-- Red Sox lost nine of their last twelve games.
-- Astros lost 12 of their last 15 games.
-- Angels lost six of their last eight home games.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:31 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB

Thursday, May 16

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1:45 PM
NY METS vs. ST. LOUIS
The total has gone OVER in 5 of NY Mets's last 7 games when playing St. Louis
NY Mets are 1-5 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against St. Louis
St. Louis is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home
St. Louis is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing NY Mets

7:05 PM
MILWAUKEE vs. PITTSBURGH
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Milwaukee's last 8 games when playing on the road against Pittsburgh
Milwaukee is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Pittsburgh
The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Pittsburgh's last 8 games when playing at home against Milwaukee
Pittsburgh is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against Milwaukee

7:05 PM
SEATTLE vs. NY YANKEES
Seattle is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games
Seattle is 4-9 SU in their last 13 games when playing on the road against NY Yankees
NY Yankees are 11-5 SU in their last 16 games at home
NY Yankees are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing Seattle

7:10 PM
BOSTON vs. TAMPA BAY
Boston is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Tampa Bay
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Boston's last 6 games on the road
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 5 games when playing at home against Boston
The total has gone OVER in 8 of Tampa Bay's last 9 games at home

7:10 PM
CINCINNATI vs. MIAMI
Cincinnati is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
Cincinnati is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Miami is 1-7 SU in its last 8 games
Miami is 5-14 SU in its last 19 games at home

8:05 PM
DETROIT vs. TEXAS
Detroit is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
Detroit is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Texas
Texas is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Texas's last 5 games at home

8:40 PM
SAN FRANCISCO vs. COLORADO
San Francisco is 3-8 SU in its last 11 games on the road
San Francisco is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Colorado
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Colorado's last 6 games when playing San Francisco
Colorado is 1-6 SU in its last 7 games when playing at home against San Francisco

10:05 PM
CHI WHITE SOX vs. LA ANGELS
Chi White Sox are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games when playing LA Angels
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Chi White Sox's last 5 games when playing LA Angels
LA Angels are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games when playing Chi White Sox
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Angels's last 5 games when playing Chi White Sox

10:10 PM
WASHINGTON vs. SAN DIEGO
Washington is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games when playing San Diego
Washington is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against San Diego
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of San Diego's last 5 games at home
San Diego is 13-6 SU in its last 19 games

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:32 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB

Thursday, May 16

Three 'fade' candidates on the mound Thursday

Another light schedule in the bigs but plenty of 'fade' material is on the mound Thursday. Stephen Strasburg gets the ball for the Washington Nationals and highlights three starting pitchers that might be worth a look as fade bets.

Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals (1-5, 3.10 ERA)

Strasburg has not won a decision since opening day and Washington has just one victory in Strasburg's previous seven starts. The ERA is fine at 3.10, but the Nats supply Strasburg with a paltry 2.25 runs per game. That total ranks him second last in the NL.

Strasburg will try for his first win since April 1 as he takes the mound against the San Diego Padres Thursday. He lasted four innings and gave up four runs in his lone start versus the Pads in 2012.

Jose Quintana, Chicago White Sox (2-1, 3.72 ERA)

Quintana had a pretty good start to the season with two victories and a very good 2.78 ERA in his first four starts. Since then, the Sox have lost his last three starts and the righty is riding a 5.06 ERA over those previous three outings.

Quintana will take the hill against the Los Angeles Angels Thursday. His last start was coincidentally against the Angels. The Sox lost 3-2 with Quintana allowing three runs (two earned) in six innings.

Felix Doubront, Boston Red Sox (3-1, 6.40 ERA)

Doubront was torched for six earned runs in 3 2/3 innings in his last start on May 3 against the Texas Rangers. The lefty came out of the bullpen on May 8 and gave up another six runs in 5 1/3 innings of relief work versus the Minnesota Twins.

Doubront gets the start against the surging Tampa Bay Rays Thursday. He started three games versus the Rays in 2012 and surrendered eight runs in 16 2/3 innings in those starts.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:33 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB
Short Sheet

Thursday, May 16

National League

New York Mets at St. Louis, 1:45 ET
Niese: Mets 2-11 SU off an Under
Wainwright: St. Louis 9-1 SU off a win by 2 runs or less

Milwaukee at Pittsburgh, 7:05 ET
Burgos: Milwaukee 2-11 SU in May
Liriano: Pittsburgh 14-6 SU after winning 2 of their last 3 games

Cincinnati at Miami, 7:10 ET
Latos: 22-4 TSR as a favorite of -150 or higher
Fernandez: Miami 18-37 SU after losing 4 or 5 of their last 6 games

San Francisco at Colorado, 8:40 ET
Cain: San Francisco 20-8 Over as a road favorite of -125 or less
Chacin: Colorado 11-3 SU at home off 5+ road games

Washington at San Diego, 10:10 ET
Strasburg: 2-6 TSR with a total of 7 runs or less
Volquez: 13-6 TSR as a home underdog

American League

Seattle at NY Yankees, 7:05 ET
Harang: Seattle 6-1 Over vs. AL East opponents
Pettitte: 6-0 TSR at home with a total of 8.5 to 10 runs

Boston at Tampa Bay, 7:10 ET
Doubront: Boston 30-14 SU off BB Overs
Cobb: Tampa Bay 1-10 SU off a loss by 6+ runs

Detroit at Texas, 8:05 ET
Verlander: Detroit 3-11 SU away off 3+ home games
Darvish: Texas 33-19 Under vs. AL Central opponents

Chicago White Sox at LA Angels, 10:05 ET
Quintana: White Sox 20-8 SU after scoring 8+ runs
Williams: Angels 8-15 SU as a favorite of -150 or less

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 09:35 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

This month has been just the opposite of last months results....things should change to the positive hopefully and soon......

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

05/15/13 9-_19-_2 32.14% -_7045 Detail
05/14/13 12-_17-_1 41.38% -_2870 Detail
05/13/13 10-_8-_0 55.56% +_680 Detail
05/12/13 12-_18-_0 40.00% -_3075 Detail
05/11/13 13-_17-_0 43.33% -_2165 Detail
05/10/13 16-_14-_0 53.33% +_550 Detail
05/09/13 10-_10-_0 50.00% -_155 Detail
05/08/13 13-_13-_0 50.00% -_880 Detail
05/07/13 15-_12-_0 55.56% +_985 Detail
05/06/13 8-_10-_0 44.44% -_1870 Detail
05/05/13 15-_11-_1 57.69% +_1790 Detail
05/04/13 11-_16-_1 40.74% -_2375 Detail
05/03/13 12-_16-_0 42.86% -_2225 Detail
05/02/13 6-_7-_0 46.15% -_1090 Detail
05/01/13 19-_11-_0 63.33% +_4395 Detail

Totals 181-_199-_5 47.63% -_15350

Thursday, May 16

Game Score Status Pick Amount

Milwaukee - 7:05 PM ET Pittsburgh -145 500
Pittsburgh - Over 8 500

Seattle - 7:05 PM ET NY Yankees -171 500
NY Yankees- Under 8.5 500

Boston - 7:10 PM ET Boston +125 500 POD # 3
Tampa Bay - Over 8 500

Cincinnati - 7:10 PM ET Cincinnati -154 500
Miami - Under 7 500

Detroit - 8:05 PM ET Detroit +100 500 POD # 2
Texas - Over 7.5 500

San Francisco - 8:40 PM ET San Francisco -103 500
Colorado - Over 9.5 500 POD # 4

Chi. White Sox - 10:05 PM ET LA Angels -138 500
LA Angels - Over 8 500

Washington - 10:10 PM ET San Diego +126 500 POD # 1
San Diego - Over 7 500

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-16-13 10:04 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Blue Jays (17-25) at Yankees (26-16)

Game: 2
Venue: Yankee Stadium
Date: May 18, 2013 1:05 PM EDT

If the Toronto Blue Jays plan to turn around their disappointing season, they may want to figure out how to beat the New York Yankees.

New York seeks an eighth victory in nine meetings this season and sixth straight at Yankee Stadium over the Blue Jays, who get starter Brandon Morrow back Saturday afternoon.

Toronto (17-25) appeared to be gaining momentum after a dreadful start, outscoring opponents 36-15 during a four-game winning streak heading into Friday's series opener.

After scoring in double digits the previous three contests, the Blue Jays mustered only four hits - two each from Melky Cabrera and Edwin Encarnacion - in a 5-0 defeat.

Last-place Toronto, nine games behind the AL East-leading Yankees, has lost five straight to New York, all in the Bronx.

The Blue Jays will look to get back on track with help from Morrow (1-2, 4.69 ERA), who has been dealing with back and neck soreness and hasn't pitched since giving up two runs and striking out eight in eight innings of a 10-2 win over Seattle on May 5.

He was slated to start Tuesday against San Francisco, but the team decided to push him back again.

"It was not my decision to do that. They are being extra cautious," Morrow told the team's official website. "(I'll) take the extra couple of days (rest)."

The right-hander had gone 3-1 with a 1.30 ERA in his previous four starts versus the Yankees before allowing seven runs - five earned - in 5 1-3 innings of a 9-4 loss April 19.

Lyle Overbay, who had some of the best seasons of his career with Toronto from 2006-10, homered off Morrow in that contest and has hit safely in six of the seven games he's played against his former team this season.

Vernon Wells, another former long-time Blue Jay, hit .440 with three homers in the first six meetings of 2013 but is 0 for 4 in each of the last two.

Brett Gardner, David Adams and Austin Romine each had two hits Friday for the Yankees (26-16), who bounced back after dropping the final two of a three-game set with Seattle.

New York will look to provide some more run support for David Phelps, who will be making his third career start against Toronto.

Phelps (1-2, 4.33) has a 3.44 ERA in three starts this season after suffering a tough-luck 1-0 loss to Cleveland on Monday, going 6 2-3 innings and allowing the game's only run on a solo homer in the first.

The right-hander received only two runs of support in six innings of his previous start, which the Yankees won 3-2 over Colorado on May 8.

"(Run support) hasn't been a problem," Phelps said. "We've got a great group of guys in there - guys who have done it and guys who have had great careers. There are going to be games they pick us up and there are going to be games we pick them up.'

Phelps is 1-0 with a 4.57 ERA in two starts and three relief appearances versus the Blue Jays. He gave up one run in 6 2-3 innings of a 2-1 win in his last start against them Sept. 19, but he's allowed four runs and walked four in seven innings over two relief outings versus Toronto this season.

SERIES AT A GLANCE

GAME 1
Blue Jays at Yankees
Fri, May 17 Final 0 to 5
Boxscores • Recaps

GAME 2
Blue Jays at Yankees
Sat, May 18 - 1:05PM EDT

GAME 3
Blue Jays at Yankees
Sun, May 19 - 1:05PM EDT

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-18-13 03:03 PM
Post A Reply

Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: