StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Who do you think belongs in Sugar Bowl?
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (2): « 1 [2]

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply

I'd like LSU and Southern Cal

Normally a loss like Oklahoma took last night shouldn't matter.... but LSU and SoCal are to close to separate.

Old Post 12-07-03 05:25 PM
40804 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 40804 Click here to Send 40804 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
JustDave
StatFox Hall of Famer

It's gonna be SC and LSU.

Get used to it.

Sorry Sooners, there's always next year.

Old Post 12-07-03 06:03 PM
JustDave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustDave Click here to Send JustDave a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Cnoman2
StatFox Hall of Famer

I think LSU and S Cal........Atleast LSU and USC didnt get blown out in theri loss..Plus everyone say "strength of schedule" these games are set years ahead, and you cant decide if your schedule is going to be "tuff" when its made out.....Cno

Old Post 12-07-03 06:06 PM
Cnoman2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cnoman2 Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

It is so obvious

Oklahoma is GOING to the Sugar Bowl! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT AT ALL!! USC and LSU are the two teams on the bubble. You guys can say what you want but Oklahoma played the hardest schedule of the three teams by FAR! BCS has them ranked as the 10th hardest schedule going into this week. That will not change much. That is what you guys do not understand. The will lose a little ground because of the rankings in the polls and the loss but not enough to fall out of the top 2. Most likely they will stay number 1. Then you have USC and LSU. USC got unluckly when Hawaii and Notre Dame lost. That makes their strength of schedule less. As of last week they were a little ahead of LSU on this MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR at the moment. The ground they lost might be covered by the fact that they had the lead already and the fact that LSU beat Georgia, thus lowering LSU's strength of schedule and normally when you beat a team that is highly ranked you get a bonus, LSU does not get this bonus because they already beat Georgia one time this season. It is going to be VERY tight between LSU and USC for the second spot. USC gets a small amount of help because they are ranked #1 in the early polls. That influences the final numbers some also. Probably enough to push them above LSU for the second spot and a chance to play Oklahoma. The number 2 spot will be VERY VERY close when the computers spit out their numbers. BUT it will be hard for USC to get taken out because they are ranked #1 in the other polls. Oklahoma is IN! You can count that. The second team will be splitting hairs but USC already had an advantage and should barely hold onto that advantage. It is a tough call. Margin of victory means nothing to these computers anymore. A win is a win. So the big loss by Oklahoma is just a loss.

I will go on a limb though. I will guess somehow it ends up being LSU and OKLAHOMA. LSU by a hair, maybe. OKLAHOMA IS THE ONLY LOCK YOU WILL FIND ON THIS BOARD FOR SURE!! It will be quite a mess if the #1 ranked team in the polls is snubbed by the computers but that is surely possible.

As for as an SEC schedule being hard or easy, just look at LSU's schedule this year. They could have surely took it up a notch. Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Tech, South Carolina, Western Illinois. They should have been playing better teams. That could decide their fate. It actually should in my opinion but they still might slip in BARELY!!

Old Post 12-07-03 06:35 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
John1180

That is what is CRAP!!! You will not have the NUMBER 1 team in the country in both the Associated Press and Coaches' Polls playing for the National Championship. How in the hell can this be possible. Here is one other thing to think about......

The state of California is thinking about either allowing or requiring the public institutions to grant its student athletes financial compensation. The NCAA has said that it would kick out any school that allows its athletes to "get paid". If I am USC what the hell would I care about the NCAA, if I am the number one team in the country and cannot play for the National Title. This could potentially be very bad for college sports. I personally could not imagine an NCAA w/o USC, UCLA, Cal, et al. I think the NCAA needs to step in on this. I know Congress has threatened to step in. The BCS has not served any purpose but to fatten a few pockets.

Oklahoma looked like a joke last night, in a manner that reminded me of the joke that Nebraska looked like in '01 after getting spanked by Colorado. USC and LSU are the two hottest teams in the country. For them not to play each other is ridiculous.

Old Post 12-07-03 06:45 PM
John1180 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John1180 Edit post   Report post
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

I'd Love To See Oklahoma & USC

So SC could kick the crap out of them worse than K.State did.

Old Post 12-07-03 06:48 PM
CHOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHOP Click here to Send CHOP a Private Message Edit post   Report post
cashmoney
StatFox Hall of Famer

I think USC and LSU should get the nod.

OU doesn't deserve to be there after losing the title game.

My gut feel is that USC is going to get the shaft!

Best of Luck Cash Money

Old Post 12-07-03 07:04 PM
cashmoney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cashmoney Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Clearly

There are alot of Oklahoma haters in here. I do not like them at all but they are a better team than both USC and LSU and even though they played badly last night they still are the best team. LSU got tested by Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi this season and did not play all that great in their first games against the only good teams they played. The beat Georgia with less than 2:00 left in the first game, Florida beat them, Mississippi just gave LSU all they could handle a few weeks ago.

USC played a pretty weak schedule.

Neither of these teams can beat Oklahoma. Sorry. Oklahoma will be the national champs when it is all said and done. I think LSU can give them a much better game than USC though so that is what I am rooting for. USC just does not have the defense to beat Oklahoma. LSU can at least maybe make it interesting. Still, the Oklahoma team that played last night is not the Oklahoma team that shows up in the Sugar Bowl. A good point was made above about Oklahoma not trying that hard in the game last night. Also, Kansas State would have most likely beat USC or LSU the way they played last night. That was another good point made.

Still it does not matter. Oklahoma wins the national championship again. LSU or USC it really does not matter that much. LSU's QB and Kicker will be big problems for them in the big game and USC's defense will cause them to lose, whichever team makes it. So simple. I take Oklahoma and give the points.

Old Post 12-07-03 07:23 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

bbaffert

Name the "weaknesses" on USC's schedule, and the "strong" teams on Oklahoma's.

Old Post 12-07-03 07:27 PM
CHOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHOP Click here to Send CHOP a Private Message Edit post   Report post
JustDave
StatFox Hall of Famer

Oklahoma should have played harder last night. I mean what the hell else do they have in OK but football?

Honestly they aren't really that good. Too much media support for this team, created a "reading their own headlines" scenario. Kansas State is clearly better than OK.

One word...

SCOREBOARD!

Old Post 12-07-03 08:32 PM
JustDave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustDave Click here to Send JustDave a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Impact Sports

Great healthy discussion, just what a forum is all about. Just wait till the announcements are made then watch everything explode.
Should be fun.

Hope everyone's plays are going well today.

Doug
Impact Sports

Old Post 12-07-03 08:45 PM
Impact Sports is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Impact Sports Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

CHOP

There is really no need to go into who is weak or who is strong on each teams schedule. All the numbers are tabulated based on how good a team is and their win/loss records for you already. Just check out the BCS numbers. They give the strength of schedule for each team and it is a very strong number that I or anyone here surely could not give justice to going team by team.

Through last night Oklahoma had the 10th hardest schedule and USC was in the 40's or 50's. The difference is truly larger than even this by the factor that they use. Also, USC's number is going to get worse because Notre Dame and Hawaii lost last night. Oklahoma's is not going to do that much changing. LSU should not change that much. So basically LSU has a small advantage in getting the second spot but they must gain some ground on a team that won last night again. Also, USC is rated #1 in the polls. That will help their BCS number. Still, probably LSU will slip in by a hair.

OKLAHOMA is a LOCK to be in. That is the only sure thing. USC really has no defense. They gave up way too many points to a weak PAC 10 division this year. Oklahoma is on a different level than USC. That is just the way it is. I guess time will tell. I am very confident though.

Old Post 12-07-03 09:21 PM
AdamBomb8

Debate ends in 20 minutes

Here is ESPN projected BCS bowl games:

# Nokia Sugar Bowl:
LSU vs. Oklahoma

# Rose Bowl presented by Citi:
USC vs. Michigan

# FedEx Orange Bowl:
Miami vs. Ohio State

# Tostitos Fiesta Bowl:
Kansas State vs. Florida State

Old Post 12-07-03 11:06 PM
AdamBomb8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AdamBomb8 Edit post   Report post
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

bbaffert

I'm not the one who brought up strength or weakness of schedule--YOU did. All I know is I saw the Sooners get their asses handed to them in a game where they controlled their own destiny. I'm not a Trojan's fan, but living in L.A., I've seen them play almost every week on TV, and they don't have many flaws.

Old Post 12-07-03 11:17 PM
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

I'm Not Watching Any Of Those B.S. Games

It's all B*U*L*L*S*H*I*T.

Old Post 12-07-03 11:54 PM
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Hmm

Oklahoma knew they were in no matter what happened last night. That is probably why the played flat. The game did not have HUGE implications like many seemed to think on here. All you had to do was look at the BCS numbers. As I said STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE will be the deciding factor, that is why I mentioned it in relation to the BCS.

Both games are better this way anyways. Michigan will give the USC defense all that they ever wanted and more. I guess we get to wait and see that though.

The BCS might look bad right now TO SOME PEOPLE but when Michigan beats USC and Oklahoma beats LSU it will look much better. Time will tell as it did today.

Old Post 12-07-03 11:54 PM
z24skibum
StatFox Hall of Famer

Unfriggin'believeable!!

USC takes it in the ass!!! It's gonna be Oklahoma vs. LSU for the National Championship

USC is playing against Michigan at the Rose Bowl.

It's the Nebraska debacle all over again!!!

Source: espn.com

Old Post 12-07-03 11:55 PM
z24skibum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for z24skibum Click here to Send z24skibum a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

PS

USC's flaws have been covered well by a weak schedule. They have given up way too many points to teams that are not top notch by a large margin, that is why they are not in the BIG GAME. Wait until the play Michigan and their scoring machine. That is going to be a fun game to watch.

Old Post 12-07-03 11:57 PM
vig
StatFox Hall of Famer

If you guys read my earlier posts on this thread I told you this was going to happen yesterday!

VIG.

Old Post 12-08-03 01:53 AM
vig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vig Edit post   Report post
JustDave
StatFox Hall of Famer

The Rose Bowl is esteemed in a grand tradition of deciding the best team in the Nation.

Must admit, people do have more to do in places like California and many of the other various PAC-10 locations. None of us out here LIVE for football (or Pig Farming for that matter).

You could never have the Sugar Bowl out here in California. We Californians never use the stuff. LOL.

Old Post 12-08-03 02:33 AM
Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: