StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > i have a question on bullpen records
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
freeneasy

i have a question on bullpen records

concering wins and losses, saves and bsv/blown saves
today in the oakland/seattle game the bullpen record for seattle at home is
9 wins 1 loss,
13 saves and 4 blown saves.
iam assuming that a blown save means that the bullpen blew a save opportunity by losing the game. if thats the case then out of 17 save oportunities the bullpen has lost 4 games and if thats the case then should'nt the win-loss record for the bullpen read something like
9 wins, 5 losses with 13 saves?
furthermore should'nt that 1 loss in the win/loss collum be considerd a blown save and the whole thing should read something like
9 wins 5 losses
13 saves and 5 blown saves? if not
then what exactly is a win, a loss, a save and a blown save considerd to be according to the standards that govern these records?

Old Post 07-06-07 06:42 PM
freeneasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freeneasy Click here to Send freeneasy a Private Message Edit post   Report post
JZ in Florida
Banned User

9 wins, 1 loss is attributed to a pitcher OTHER than the starter, who came into the game in mid-relief and was credited with the win or loss, as the case may be.

13 saves and 4 blown saves means a closer came into the game on 17 occasions with the team winning by three runs or less and converted the save 13 and allowed the other team to come back 4.

When I rate bullpen efficiency, I add the two numbers together for a combined 22-5 record, .815 - pretty effective in comparison to most.

Hope that helps.

Old Post 07-06-07 07:03 PM
JZ in Florida is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JZ in Florida Click here to Send JZ in Florida a Private Message Edit post   Report post
drPepper
FoxDen Hall of Famer

You can blow a save and still come back and get the win. If a closer gives up a run in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game, and his team comes back and wins in extra innings the bullpen gets a BS and a W.

Old Post 07-06-07 07:14 PM
drPepper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drPepper Click here to Send drPepper a Private Message Edit post   Report post
freeneasy

that was very interesting dr pepper. never saw that til now, thx, that was good
ok jz let me put this last question to you and that is
a save is when the bullpen comes in with a lead from between 1 to 3 runs, actully i thought it was no more then a 2 run lead but now i know, antway the bull pen comes in with a 1 to 3 run lead and holds on to win.
seattle's bullpen has a 9-1 win loss record.
the question is this, does that one loss represent a game where the bullpen came in with at least a 4 run lead and lost the game?
i guess this is what iam trying to get at.
if a blown save is considerd to be the bullpen losing a lead of between 1 to 3 runs and then either losing the game or coming back on to regain the lead and win, then when you look at that 9-1 win/loss record for the bullpen, is that 1 loss where the bull pen simply outright lost a game with a lead of 4 runs or more?

Old Post 07-06-07 08:07 PM
freeneasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freeneasy Click here to Send freeneasy a Private Message Edit post   Report post
The Stevinator
FoxDen Hall of Famer

F&E

Don't get hung up on 1-3 runs, there are many crazy rules for a save & I don't know if this is the place to start getting into it, LOL. Believe it or not, a save COULD be awarded in a 10-0 victory...

For the 1 loss you are referring to, I belive the bullpen could have come into a tie game & simply lost the game.

Old Post 07-06-07 10:11 PM
The Stevinator is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Stevinator Click here to Send The Stevinator a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Riverfish
FoxDen Hall of Famer

A save is a statistic credited to a relief pitcher, as set forth in this Rule 10.19.
The official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:
(a) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
(b) He is not the winning pitcher;
(c) He is credited with at least a third of an inning pitched; and
(d) He satisfies one of the following conditions:
(1) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning;
(2) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batters he faces); or
(3) He pitches for at least three innings.

My YouTube Channel

Old Post 07-06-07 10:36 PM
Riverfish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverfish Click here to Send Riverfish a Private Message Edit post   Report post
freeneasy

ok fellas thanks alot for all the good info

racking my brains tring to figure out whats pertinent to a game and whats not pertinent to a game, bet yogi cant say that twice in row

Old Post 07-06-07 10:53 PM
The Stevinator
FoxDen Hall of Famer

River...

...that #3 was exactly what I was referring to in the 10-0 victory scenario. That one is often overlooked.

Thanks for the info!

Liars & Tigres & D-bags...oh my!

Old Post 07-06-07 10:56 PM
The Stevinator is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Stevinator Click here to Send The Stevinator a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: