StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics

StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > su winner covering the spread??
StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Blimbeck

su winner covering the spread??

I know that this has been talked about before but does anyone know what the % of times a team that wins straight up also covers the spread in college and pro football as well as basketball??

Thank you

Old Post 07-12-05 04:21 AM
Blimbeck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blimbeck Edit post   Report post
theqman
StatFox Hall of Famer

NFL: 3072-631-109 (83.0%) Since 1989

NBA: 9130-2120-217 (81.2%) Since 1995

Results may vary depending on book.

It seems CFB is around 65% or so (if my memory serves me correctly) because of the enormous lines.

I can give you specific teams if you need them but not a total.

Old Post 07-12-05 07:04 AM
theqman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theqman Click here to Send theqman a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Computer Guru

I would venture a guess that last year the NFL pct was below the 83% average because the lines were higher than average.

Old Post 07-13-05 05:23 PM
Computer Guru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Computer Guru Click here to Send Computer Guru a Private Message Edit post   Report post
MemphisMafia
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Blimbeck

Being completely accurate here is tough question because of line-variances . Speaking of college basketball though its fairly common knowledge that the home-favorites win straight up a little over 75% of the time & favorites in general a tab below that , but it takes a "major" tumble to just around 50% when concerning the spread . Knowing this has proven the linesmakers are doing thier job and make it very tough to assume a winner on any night versus the line .

Early is the key to a NCAA B-Ball season , as the odds-makers will invariably slip a bit here and the lines are little soft , but given a month or so they get a hitch in thier giddy-up and tighten thier belts considerably to produce the perfect 50/50 scene they want out there .

A fair assessment on this subject would take a bit of working and undoubtly vari a % point here and there , I have found season in and season out that totals are thier Achilles heel and the least paid attention to by the general public so thereby the least paid attention to by themselves also .

G.L> on your quest , and keep us informed should you discover some good news ?

Ms>>MM

Old Post 07-14-05 02:13 PM
MemphisMafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MemphisMafia Click here to Send MemphisMafia a Private Message Edit post   Report post
BobbyBraveheart

I just finished doing some analysis of the publics percentages for last years NFL season and the public was on the favorite roughly 86-93% of the time. The lines then rise in that direction and I'd guess that this probably means more favorites win by don't cover. Either way it makes the ML's for dogs look pretty good if you find one you like.

Old Post 07-14-05 04:49 PM
BobbyBraveheart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyBraveheart Edit post   Report post
theqman
StatFox Hall of Famer

Last years NFL was around 84.3% but as we all know the dogs were 100%. Favs were 75%. I guess the other % were pick 'em affairs.

Old Post 07-15-05 02:06 AM
theqman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theqman Click here to Send theqman a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: