StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Betting against Florida
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
bawlmer
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Betting against Florida

Everywhere I look and everyone I talk to seems to like UCLA over Florida on Saturday night, either with the points or the money line. My early lean was on Florida money line but the smart money seems to be on UCLA. College basketball is not a strong sport of mine but I have doen okay this season following some of the better cappers on this site, no need to name you all know who you are. Reading your daily write ups and opinions has taught me a lot on how to gamble on college basketball as well as put a little more coin in my pocket.

I'm sure I will end up tailign most of you guys on UCLA but I never am sure about betting against the previous years champion. I know no one has repeated in the last decade but this is a team that, if any, could get it done. Still up in the air with my play and I look forward to reading the various opionions that will be shared over the next 36 hours. My only advice is to not sleep on the defending champions. They havent played there best game yet and it still might be on the way.

Old Post 03-30-07 06:42 PM
bawlmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bawlmer Click here to Send bawlmer a Private Message Edit post   Report post
geminimoon
FoxDen Hall of Famer

i like florida myself

i didnt know everyone was on ucla??

the "team" is what makes a person so great. the more we use each other the better we will become!

quote by geminimoon

Old Post 03-30-07 10:03 PM
geminimoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for geminimoon Click here to Send geminimoon a Private Message Edit post   Report post
RayFreez

I agree

I'm not sure which way I will go but it seems the same Florida team and a weaker offensive team for UCLA. Affallo (excuse the spelling) is there major offensive weapon, if he is cold it spells trouble for UCLA.

Florida has much more firepower on the inside and outside than UCLA. Last year but more so this year. I'm not sure 3 points is enough to take UCLA. Still undecided.

Ray Freez

I Post my opinion - because I can.

Old Post 03-30-07 10:07 PM
RayFreez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RayFreez Click here to Send RayFreez a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tukwilaman

This game is a toss-up---regardless of the number. Put your money down and call heads or tails. It's that simple.

Old Post 03-30-07 11:00 PM
tukwilaman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tukwilaman Click here to Send tukwilaman a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Curdawg
StatFox Legend

from Dunkel

UCLA vs. Florida
Last year when these two teams met in the championship, Florida opened as a two-point favorite and went on to win by 16 (73-57). This year, despite returning all five starters from that championship team, the Gators opened as only a three-point favorite in the rematch. Some of that may be due to the fact that Florida is not racking up style points in this tournament and has won the last three games (over Purdue, Butler and Oregon) by single digits. Some of it is also because UCLA looked extremely impressive in manhandling higher-rated Kansas (68-55) in the West regional final. But while the Bruins were able to exploit the Jayhawks' youth (three sophomores, two freshmen among top five scorers), they should have a more difficult time against the more-experienced Gators. And Florida has shown an ability to turn it on in the tougher games as the Gators have covered in the last three contests (dating back to the SEC tourney) when they came in a single-digit favorite. Florida looks like a good pick to cover the line (-3) in this one according to Dunkel, which has the Gators favored by 4 1/2. Dunkel Pick: Florida (-3). ............gl

Always bet AP's number 11 who will be trying hard to get into Top 10...

Old Post 03-30-07 11:15 PM
Curdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curdawg Edit post   Report post
geminimoon
FoxDen Hall of Famer

a toss up??

hmmmmm

if these teams played 10 times i see florida winning 7

i see no way this is a toss up

but the game will tell the story

gl

the "team" is what makes a person so great. the more we use each other the better we will become!

quote by geminimoon

Old Post 03-30-07 11:20 PM
geminimoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for geminimoon Click here to Send geminimoon a Private Message Edit post   Report post
amich1
FoxDen Hall of Famer

my take

ucla is a legit team, but that being said Florida is by far the best team they have played this yr & i expect florida to shine in this final four... we shall soon see!

Old Post 03-30-07 11:27 PM
amich1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amich1 Click here to Send amich1 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bawlmer
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Gemini

I have seen a couple post on here favoring Florida but I guess it does look like the game could be a split. I dont think I can personaly pasrolling ins on taking Florida ML. We'll see as the opinions start trickling in.

Old Post 03-31-07 12:10 AM
bawlmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bawlmer Click here to Send bawlmer a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tukwilaman

By far?

Florida is a great team and could go all the way to defending its well-deserved title. Is Florida the best team UCLA has faced BY FAR? Maybe. Probably not. Both teams have done very well to get this far. Both teams stumbled late in the regular season, and both have been challenged in the tournament. Neither has a big edge any way you look at it---including individual matchups. That's what makes this game a toss-up for me. I don't believe in trends when it comes to the Final Four. Either team could win by more than three points.

Which one? I don't know. I guess that's what makes UCLA +3 the most attractive bet.

Old Post 03-31-07 12:21 AM
tukwilaman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tukwilaman Click here to Send tukwilaman a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Highbeams
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Opinion

Agree that Florida will be a very tough out, but the team I love is Georgetown. They seem so mentally tough, Did you notice how unemotional they were after that tremendous win last week ? I tell you they EXPECT to win, they have the talent to win and I say no way does Florida intimidate them. I also say back the Hoyas for the duration and get a great run for the money, hopefully the wins.

Old Post 03-31-07 12:22 AM
Highbeams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Highbeams Click here to Send Highbeams a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bawlmer
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Highbeams

Good to hear from you buddy. Love the avatar, will have to change mine for the upcoming season. Love our young piching staff this year, hopefully I will run into you at Sliders.

I'm with you on Georgetown. Ohio St. just does not match up well against them. They could be poised for a run, as long as I see a Georgetown/Florida final I will be happy.

Old Post 03-31-07 12:33 AM
ChargerDave

I like Florida. Being an Oregon fan, I've seen the Ducks play UCLA twice and G'town, besides the Gators. Florida is easily the most impressive team of that bunch.

Still don't understand why people like the Hoyas. They should have lost to Vandy with the travel at the end of the game. And heck, UNC had them finished off almost too.

Old Post 03-31-07 12:52 AM
ChargerDave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChargerDave Edit post   Report post
tukwilaman

Georgetown/OSU: Another toss-up

For reasons very similar to those I stated regarding the Florida/UCLA game, I see the Georgetown/OhioState game as a toss-up.
Flip a coin. Place your bet.

Again, both teams are excellent---especially recently. Again, both have been pushed to the brink of elimination in the tournament. Either one could win big, depending on game-coaching as much as anything. My lean is Ohio State on the ML. My actual bet will be heads or tails.

My bracket has UCLA and Ohio State in the final. But that bet didn't (and won't) cost me anything. Nor will my pre-tournament choice of Ohio State to win it all.

Old Post 03-31-07 01:13 AM
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: