StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > StatFox KnowledgeBase and Support > Baseball stat suggestion
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Craiger
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Baseball stat suggestion

Is there a way to include stats for bullpens for each starting pitcher? For example:

Clayton Kershaw

Bullpen ERA when he starts: 2.43

Home 1.80 ERA
Away 3.03 ERA
Whip
LOB

etc, etc. I think you get the point. Thank you.

Craig

Old Post 03-21-11 08:33 AM
Craiger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craiger Click here to Send Craiger a Private Message Edit post   Report post
StatFox Jeff
Administrator

Craiger: Thanks for your suggestion. I am curious as to your thoughts on this. Is it your theory that a team's bullpen outperforms or underperforms when different pitchers start? My personal opinion is that if this is true, it has more to do with the pitchers who pitch that day and the situation which they are brought in. For instance, Kershaw probably goes 7 innings per start and then hands the ball to the top setup guy and closer. Whereas another pitcher goes 5 innings per start and is replaced by a long reliever, likely with runners on base. That would likely increase the ERA of the bullpen in the second starter's games.

Old Post 03-23-11 08:12 PM
StatFox Jeff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StatFox Jeff Click here to Send StatFox Jeff a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Craiger
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I believe you are somewhat correct in the way I think. However, with the changes that have evolved around baseball over the years, the bullpens are just as important, if not more, than looking at starting pitching, which is what the general public puts too much weight into in my opinion, especially now with a weak cast this year throughout baseball. So, to me a stat I'm going to look at is how well bullpens perform for certain starting pitchers. These numbers will have to be looked at along with who will be available out of the pen.
Also, the number innings pitched by each individual pitcher will be important to who the manager sends out. So, I think having a stat with the bullpen ERA on each starting pitcher could be key to some profits. Thanks for your time.

Craig

Old Post 03-24-11 03:28 PM
Craiger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craiger Click here to Send Craiger a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: