StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Almost NHL time.....You got questions...just ask
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
lippsman
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Almost NHL time.....You got questions...just ask

New to pucks....you want to know why those guys have the puck in the offensive zone and all of the sudden are running away from it ?

Why one of the defensemen just doesn't grab that puck out of the crease so a goal isn't scored.

What is this -.5 -1 and -1.5 crap ?

If they have shootouts in the regular season, why are the not good enough in the post season ? (Yes, my personal gripe..freaking shootouts.

Why the hell does a losing team get a point for going to OT ?

You got questions just ask. Don't worry, no one is judged here. Unless you play massive favs all the time of course.

There are no stupid questions, so don't worry about that. Just fire away.

And Welcome.

Old Post 10-06-15 04:50 AM
lippsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lippsman Click here to Send lippsman a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bromoe
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Lipps

Thanks for all you do for the puck heads.

Good Luck this season.

Go HAWKS!

Old Post 10-06-15 05:07 AM
Bromoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bromoe Click here to Send Bromoe a Private Message Edit post   Report post
oChRoNiCo
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Ok lippsman what are some of the stats do you look at when making a decision on what games to play? Give me one tip for a beginner that only watches hockey during the playoffs.

The evidence we have found has led us to the conclusion that the negative image of gamblers, of speculators and of gambling is due to prejudice, to the distorted image heavily promoted by some powerful groups who, however, have not had much evidence to support their views.
- Reuven and Gabrielle A Brenner

Old Post 10-06-15 05:18 AM
oChRoNiCo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oChRoNiCo Click here to Send oChRoNiCo a Private Message Edit post   Report post
lemgreen
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Great to see you back

Looking forward to another season

Regards,

Lem

Old Post 10-06-15 02:15 PM
lemgreen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lemgreen Click here to Send lemgreen a Private Message Edit post   Report post
lippsman
FoxDen Hall of Famer

oChRoNiCo

Just like pitching in baseball, look at how those goaltenders are playing as of late. I put a great deal of weight on the last 5 games, being for a goaltender or team play.

Old Post 10-06-15 02:29 PM
lippsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lippsman Click here to Send lippsman a Private Message Edit post   Report post
steveko
FoxDen Hall of Famer

lippsman
good luck this season and thanks for all the work you do

Old Post 10-07-15 12:11 AM
steveko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveko Click here to Send steveko a Private Message Edit post   Report post
oChRoNiCo
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thanks makes sense lippsman. I did make some plays last year on another site using the same model I use for baseball. I finished last year 49-64-5 +302.94 Units and each play was 25 units. I did straight bets, 2 team parlays and a few 3 team parlays.

The evidence we have found has led us to the conclusion that the negative image of gamblers, of speculators and of gambling is due to prejudice, to the distorted image heavily promoted by some powerful groups who, however, have not had much evidence to support their views.
- Reuven and Gabrielle A Brenner

Old Post 10-07-15 12:17 AM
oChRoNiCo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oChRoNiCo Click here to Send oChRoNiCo a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Carelli
FoxDen Hall of Famer

For the first time in years, I may actually have tthe time to participate in one of the greatest threads on this, or any other, site.

Thanks lippsman for taking the time to do this.

My newbie question is this...

Will my beloved Oilers be the best team in Edmonton this year?

Last year they lost in a tough overtime heartbreaker to a very physical Mary Catherine O'Malley Junior High School women's team.

Best of luck this season to all.

Old Post 10-07-15 03:13 AM
Carelli is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carelli Click here to Send Carelli a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Carelli
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Had a question, but you already answered it in another thread.

Sorry.

Old Post 10-07-15 03:17 AM
Carelli is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carelli Click here to Send Carelli a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Carelli
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Are there any significant rule changes this year?

"When luck shuts the door, you need to go through the window. That's where the skill comes in". - Doyle Brunson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNob...feature=related

Old Post 10-07-15 03:45 AM
lippsman
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Hey Carelli

Why yes, there are some important rule changes.

3-on-3 Overtime:

Last season the NHL had teams switch sides for overtime to increase scoring chances and avoid the shootout. This tactic was somewhat successful with shootouts decreasing by 4% compared to 2013-14, but going 3-on-3 is a bigger nudge to prevent games from being decided by the shootout at all.

No team will have less than three skaters at a time on the ice, but penalties that carry over from regulation will still be implemented. Rather than putting penalized players in the box, the team on the power play will add a man on the ice to play 4-on-3 or 5-on-3.

Another stipulation is pulling the goaltender. In the rare event a team decides to pull its goalie in sudden death overtime to opt for an extra attacker, that team forfeits its guaranteed point in the standings from tying in regulation if it gives up an empty netter. The only exception is pulling the goaltender on a delayed penalty.

Coach's Challenge:

Just like the NFL, and most recently MLB, coaches will now be able to challenge a referee’s goal call via video replay. An unsuccessful challenge will cost a team its timeout, so choose wisely.

Challenges can only be used for instances such as delayed offsides, kicking motions, stick above the crossbar, or goaltender interference. Referees will still be able to review plays at their own discretion, whether a team is out of timeouts or late in the game/overtime.

Face-off Draws:

Most people probably didn’t notice that the hash marks on the side of each face-off circle were widened two-and-a-half feet last season. Not sure if anyone really kept track on how much offensive advantage it provided either, but this season should see more

Previously, the visiting team had to touch down their stick first on the ice for a face-off draw. Starting this season, that protocol will only apply at center ice. The team defending their zone where the face-off is taking place will have to touch down their stick first, regardless of being home or away. The idea is to aid the offense and ultimately lead to more scoring. We shall see.

Old Post 10-07-15 04:42 AM
lippsman
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Here are some video's explaining the rule changes.

http://thehockeywriters.com/breaking-down-the-nhls-2015-16-rule-changes/

Old Post 10-07-15 04:44 AM
Illini45

Is there a good website that shows starting lines and power play units? Also are these lines similar to a baseball manager setting his lineup or will lines change throughout the game?

Thanks

Old Post 10-08-15 01:59 AM
Illini45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Illini45 Click here to Send Illini45 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Brutus5775
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Lippsman - I am looking forward to your thread and pucks from here on out. I now know to tread lightly in the beginning.

If you need a break, just let me know. I am willing to help out. Look forward to seeing you at the window a lot this year.

I hope this year is as good as it was last year...Thank you for all of your hard work day after day..Indeed it's a marathon and not a sprint..

My Goal is to Make Money Not Gamble !!

Old Post 10-08-15 02:25 AM
Brutus5775 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brutus5775 Click here to Send Brutus5775 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
lippsman
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Illini45

I will post a link in the daily thread with that info.

Old Post 10-08-15 04:07 AM
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: