StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > pettite
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

pettite

after watching him for 15 years and looking at his career, i'm thinking he's a hall of famer.

lifetime:
240-138
19-10 postseason
5 rings

not a lot of pitchers are 102 games over .500

Old Post 02-04-11 06:11 PM
ronnie111 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronnie111 Click here to Send ronnie111 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
BillyMac14
FoxDen Hall of Famer

If you look at Bert Blyleven's numbers, they were a little better - more wins (though I'm not an advocate of using wins to evaluate a pitcher....especially in today's game where many pitchers become victims of their bullpens), better ERA, better WHIP, more K's - and it took him damn-near forever to get in. However, Pettitte's postseason performance should count for something. I think he's a HoF caliber pitcher, but....

...I don't know if his numbers/accomplishments are as much of a problem as much as the fact that he's an admitted PED user. Like it or not, it's a factor (if not, THE factor) that will likely keep him out.

Old Post 02-04-11 06:33 PM
BillyMac14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BillyMac14 Click here to Send BillyMac14 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

billy

agreed. the PED use is a def negative. as far as blyleven, i thought he should have been in years ago--had like 60 shutouts.

Old Post 02-04-11 06:40 PM
ronnie111 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronnie111 Click here to Send ronnie111 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
BillyMac14
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Good article about Pettitte and the HoF

....by Jayson Stark. Ya gotta love his stuff (or maybe I'm bias because he's a Philly guy).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/6087648/andy-pettitte-not-quite-hall-famer

Old Post 02-04-11 06:46 PM
BillyMac14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BillyMac14 Click here to Send BillyMac14 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ShoalBay

I would agree with both of you. He definitely won't be a first ballot selection, but I would think he will be in shortly thereafter. He was a big game pitcher and just as important, in his case, he got along with the press, who will control his detiny.

Old Post 02-04-11 06:48 PM
ShoalBay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ShoalBay Click here to Send ShoalBay a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

billy

good article. there are so many players who fall into this category, definitely a fine line to separate them. you philly fans should be ecstatic about this coming season.

Old Post 02-04-11 06:57 PM
TigreSon
Banned User

Awwww

Are you gonna be ok Ronnie now that ur Lil southpaw is retiring? Lmao, just busting chops

IMO, petite is a HOF'er hands down, the guy had a GREAT career. Put the BS behind him, he was a product of his era.

Not to mention this is coming from me! A huge red sox fan

Peace and Victory

Old Post 02-04-11 07:20 PM
TigreSon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TigreSon Click here to Send TigreSon a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ShoalBay

Without a doubt. Just need to stay healthy, a decent year from Rollins and hope for a solid right handed bat in right field.

Old Post 02-04-11 07:20 PM
ShoalBay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ShoalBay Click here to Send ShoalBay a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

tigre

will you please change your avatar back to the bosox logo so i'll know it's you. you're not from texas. enjoy your day.

Old Post 02-04-11 07:32 PM
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

shoal

it won't matter who's in RF, they have to score on you 1st.

Old Post 02-04-11 07:35 PM
TigreSon
Banned User

Lol

In April my avatar will be all yours

Peace and Victory

Old Post 02-04-11 07:35 PM
TigreSon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TigreSon Click here to Send TigreSon a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ShoalBay

Ronnie

You have a good point there. LOL

Old Post 02-04-11 07:37 PM
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: