StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Who do you think belongs in Sugar Bowl?
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Impact Sports

Who do you think belongs in Sugar Bowl?

What a mess we have now! We have watched over 135 college football games and as I post this I have no idea who should play in the title game. One of the guys on are staff suggested this thought.
Now that each team has one loss, what was the margin of defeat and the pointspread in which they lost.

LSU -10 lost 17-10 to Florida minus -17 points
USC -13 lost 34-31 to Cal. (OT) minus -16 points
Oklahoma -14 lost 35-7 K.State minus -42 points

Just another thought gentlemen.

Here would be our Impact Power Number spreads in the different scenarios for the Sugar Bowl.

Oklahoma -3 over LSU
Oklahoma -5 over USC
LSU -2 over USC

How would these New Year's games look if we took the Top 4 and had them play each other.

Oklahoma vs. Michigan
LSU vs USC

Who would possibly be upset about this?
Oh yea, these student athletes would miss additional class time!

Old Post 12-07-03 06:12 AM
Impact Sports is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Impact Sports Edit post   Report post
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

I'm Not A Sooner Fan

Or the other two teams either, BUT I think it's silly to penalize a team for losing ONE game the entire season--ANY team. Your playoff scenario could be stretched out to include 16 teams, IMO. I guess Division II & III teams don't take finals?

Old Post 12-07-03 06:20 AM
CHOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHOP Click here to Send CHOP a Private Message Edit post   Report post
vig
StatFox Hall of Famer

It should be L.S.U. vs U.S.C. but they are going to screw this thing up again! it's going to be L.S.U. vs Oak. have funny feeling Southern Cal is going to get it in the KEESTER! It's a damn shame!! That's why college hoops is supreme with TOURNEY!!

VIG'S OPINION!!

Old Post 12-07-03 06:20 AM
vig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vig Edit post   Report post
vig
StatFox Hall of Famer

One More Thing

Kanas St. would have beat OAK.,L.S.U. and U.S.C. tonight! those kids played there hearts out!! very good coaching by K.St. Must give those kids credit!

VIG.

Old Post 12-07-03 06:23 AM
vig
StatFox Hall of Famer

Nokia Sugar Bowl!

Does this thing set up nice for L.S.U. or what!! Playing this monster game in there back yard!! L.S.U. is going to be favored against who ever it is! got a funny feeling it's going to be OAK.

VIG.

Old Post 12-07-03 06:33 AM
JustDave
StatFox Hall of Famer

Mark my words, Big SC money will have them playing for the NC.

Old Post 12-07-03 06:35 AM
JustDave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustDave Click here to Send JustDave a Private Message Edit post   Report post
vig
StatFox Hall of Famer

Dave

I hope your right because I fell that U.S.C. would give L.S.U. a much better game! But there going to put Oak. in there with there huge wallets also! both schools have tradition and plenty of money! Once again I hope that you are right but something smells with the way they vote on this thing!

Old Post 12-07-03 06:38 AM
cincykid

LSU vs USC

Okla. LOST the Big 12 championship game. They don't deserve to play for a national title when there are two other teams w/one loss who WON their conference. It's a terrible system that needs to be changed quickly.

Old Post 12-07-03 07:37 AM
cincykid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cincykid Edit post   Report post
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

LSU's Offense Seems To Be Coming Around

And I'm not just saying that because they beat my DAWGS. The Sooners had their destiny in their own hands, so I don't see how they deserve a shot. USC & LSU beat their opponents handily, and Oklahoma was beaten soundly. That's not an anti-Sooner statement. It's just the way I see it.

Old Post 12-07-03 08:07 AM
CHOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHOP Click here to Send CHOP a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Sorry

LSU does not belong. They played a very weak schedule this season. Oklahoma played a MUCH HARDER schedule. Even though Oklahoma lost they still only have that one blemish on their record, just like LSU. Then you have to go into the strength of schedule and LSU did not play many tough games this season while Oklahoma took on and beat soundly many top teams this season. One bad night for Oklahoma should not rule out an excellent season. They deserve to be ranked number 1 still. USC is a shoe in for number 2. They played a pretty easy schedule but not as easy as the cake walk that LSU had this year. 1 loss for all these teams then you must look at who they played ALL SEASON LONG and how they faired as a whole. You cannot pass judgement on a team for just one game even though it was important. A few calls go the right way and Mississippi beats LSU. They gave LSU all they could handle and more. LSU is way overrated and will get BEAT by whomever they play in whatever bowl game they end up in. Just look at their schedule this season. WEAK! Too many pansy teams. Michigan, USC, Oklahoma all will beat LSU. Their WEAK kicker will HAUNT THEM IN THEIR BOWL GAME!!

Old Post 12-07-03 08:20 AM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
CHOP
StatFox Hall of Famer

bbaffert

There is no such thing as a weak schedule in the SEC. Plus, K. State showed OU's weakness tonight--put pressure on the QB.

Old Post 12-07-03 08:43 AM
Chris511
StatFox Hall of Famer

My opinion

Im a die hard LSU fan. Naturally I want LSU in the Sugar Bowl. In my opinion their schedule was not super strong but they did beat #19(moved to 18 after losing to LSU)last week and #5 Georgia in Georgia last night . Georgia will drop in the rankings after last nights game they were # 5 in the rankings .This drop will be figured in the computers of course . I think it may shake out like this but I hope not .
1.USC
2.OKLAHOMA
3.LSU
Im going to be anxiously awaiting the outcome of this .ITS KILLING ME. Like I said I think its going to depend on how far Georgia drops ..

Old Post 12-07-03 02:40 PM
Chris511 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris511 Click here to Send Chris511 a Private Message Edit post   Report post

baf

i would have to disagree with you there. The SEC is by far one of the toughest conferences in the nation, if not the toughest. The only team that was decent that Okl. played was Texas and everyone knows that Texas can't win a big game. They don't even show up for the big game. ole miss, fl, ga, tn, o' ya and arkansas who beat texas and arkansas also got spanked by LSU.
IT matters when you loose your one game in this BCS system. YOu loose your firsty game of the year and win out you will be number 2 by years end(if you don't have TCU's schedule) Pesonally, i think it sucks.
Otherwise there are 6 or so other teams that deserve to go to the national championship game, with only one loss.

LSU vs. USC Nat. Championship

Old Post 12-07-03 02:43 PM
2020 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2020 Edit post   Report post
Chris511
StatFox Hall of Famer

I hope youre right.

Old Post 12-07-03 02:44 PM
Chris511 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris511 Click here to Send Chris511 a Private Message Edit post   Report post

that's the

way it should be, man. It happen to TN a couple years ago when they lost the SEC championship--to LSU and they got snuffed from the national champ. game. there is no reason why oklahoma should go now. The BCS would contradict itself from previous years and show how hypocritical computers and formula's can be. If you loose this late in the season then you should be out of the contention for the big prize.

Old Post 12-07-03 02:58 PM
2020 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2020 Edit post   Report post
John1180

The BCS is not afraid to send a 1-loss team that did not win their conference to the NC game. Look at Nebraska in '01. The BCS is garbage. USC and LSU are obviously the hottest 2 teams in the country. They have the longest win streaks of any team in the top 5. Only one will end up in New Orleans. College football needs a playoff.

Old Post 12-07-03 03:37 PM
John1180 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John1180 Edit post   Report post
keven
FoxDen Hall of Famer

It should be USC vs. LSU. If you can't win your own conference you shouldn't play for the National Championship IMO.

Old Post 12-07-03 03:45 PM
keven is offline Click Here to See the Profile for keven Edit post   Report post
AdamBomb8

My humble opinion

Based on things being said on sports talk radio yesterday, people believed that USC would take a hit in their strength of schedule if ND lost to Syracuse. They got crushed 38-12. I believe Oklahoma will remain in the Sugar Bowl and play LSU, and USC will likely go to the Rose Bowl.

Old Post 12-07-03 04:14 PM
AdamBomb8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AdamBomb8 Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

if your projected lines are correct i'll be rich

What... you saylsu over sc. i dont think so. s cal would be favored by 4-5. Ok would be favored over both by 3-6. rember the public loves offense.

ou had a bad game because everyone told them that thay could lose and still go to championship game. They relaxed, then mike stoops distraction. they scored easy on first drive and thought they were in for a cakewalk. ksu was ready and caught 'em at the right time. Stoops coached an awful game. you can bet that if ou gets shot at championship game, they wil win and cover. i hope they play sc for the fans sake. then, the real sooners show up

If you bet against sooners in championship game, go easy cuz you will lose.

i dont necessarily think ou should still play for titile. maybe mich vs sc or lsu vs sc. but... i would love to see ou play sc from an entertainment standpoint. from a betting standpoint i would love to see em play lsu. it would be a rout.

just my thoughts

TEX

Old Post 12-07-03 04:18 PM
Tex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Deano
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I am a die hard OU fan and I agree with alot of opinions stated here. As a fan I cannot feel good about OU getting into the NC game. Throwing out all of the arguments it just doesn't feel good to go after a sound thrashing last night.

Old Post 12-07-03 04:22 PM
Deano is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deano Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: