StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics

StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Database question for Colin
StatSharp.com - Advanced Sports Betting Analytics
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
wanna win

Database question for Colin

Do you track errors per team per game? How about Left On Base? I've tinkered with some systems but the db only goes back to beginning of 2004.

Old Post 07-11-05 08:59 PM
wanna win is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wanna win Click here to Send wanna win a Private Message Edit post   Report post
AussieRules

E/LOB

You can get these from most good boxscore sites (ESPN/CBS etc) with some simple code you are allowed to extract one personal copy of the data from these pages. Shouldn't take too long to knock that out.

Although I have to admit that most systems and thoughts that I have ever seen/tried involving errors and LOB have shown that there is very little real correlation between totals or wins and either of these two stats - meaning that you may be flogging not only a dead horse, but one that only had three legs in the first place - that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to look into it :) Just throwing out my experience to possibly help you out.

Good luck.
Oz

Old Post 07-12-05 06:19 AM
AussieRules is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AussieRules Edit post   Report post
StatFox Steve
Administrator

I have some info on the subject of errors per game from the last FoxSheets Baseball Systems release. In fact, the statistic errors per game was one of the lesser performance indicators if you were to play the team with less. Here are the numbers from last years' June, July, and August months, assuming you would play the team with the "better error defense":

Home: 251-224 (-29.95 units)
Road: 232-251 (-2.75 units)
Any: 483-475 (-32.7 units)

The average of -.034 units per game is a typical performance for a stat that really doesn't serve as a strong indicator for line value either way.

On the other hand, bullpen WHIP and team batting average were strong indicators while starting pitcher ERA and WHIP were strong FADE indicators.

Hope that helps. At this point I have no info on team LOB.

Steve

Old Post 07-12-05 04:29 PM
StatFox Steve is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StatFox Steve Click here to Send StatFox Steve a Private Message Edit post   Report post
wanna win

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer who could pull this out of a site even for one time use.

Aussie, do you know more about downloading this stuff?

My errors and LOB systems are only as good as my 1 1/2 yr database. Both show promise but these need to be backchecked.

As is, for 1 1/2 yrs database, errors system is up 26 units (W/L 54-28) and LOB 48 units (W/L 127-68)

Old Post 07-12-05 08:25 PM
wanna win is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wanna win Click here to Send wanna win a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: