StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > My Top 10 Yogi Berra Quotes-
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

My Top 10 Yogi Berra Quotes-

-that may apply in the real life . By the one and only Yogi Berra.

1- "It ain't the heat; it's the humility.

2-"You can observe a lot just by watching."

3-"This is like deja vu all over again.

4-"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."

5-"It gets late early out there." -- Referring to the bad sun conditions in left field at the stadium.

6-"I made a wrong mistake"

7-"If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them."

8-"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

9-"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win"

and my # 10 Yogi quote:

DRUM Roll Please-

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded"

Old Post 05-29-05 02:27 PM
Ragtop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ragtop Click here to Send Ragtop a Private Message Edit post   Report post
burytheb
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Ragtop

How about.

"Its over when its over."

Old Post 05-29-05 02:58 PM
burytheb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for burytheb Click here to Send burytheb a Private Message Edit post   Report post
burytheb
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Ragtop

Or was it. "Its not over until its over."

Old Post 05-29-05 03:16 PM
burytheb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for burytheb Click here to Send burytheb a Private Message Edit post   Report post
AussieRules

Personal Favourite

When going into a pizza joint one time, Yogi ordered a pizza and the bloke behind counter asked whether Yogi would like the pizza cut into 6 or 8 pieces. To which Yogi replied, "Cut it into 6, I am not feeling very hungry tonight."

Old Post 05-29-05 03:17 PM
AussieRules is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AussieRules Edit post   Report post
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

Aussie Rules-

Think the qoote was:"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."
Forgot to add.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."

burytheb
You were right the second time.
Yogi Berra is without a doubt a natioal treasure.

Old Post 05-29-05 03:30 PM
Ragtop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ragtop Click here to Send Ragtop a Private Message Edit post   Report post
AussieRules

Thanks

for the re-quote, my memory is going I guess :)

Still Yogi Berra is truly one the most amazing fellas when it comes to these kinds of ridiculous quotes.

Oz

Old Post 05-29-05 03:35 PM
AussieRules is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AussieRules Edit post   Report post
cisco
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Yogi was great. He's still making money (AFLAC)

Here's some Ralph "Kinerisms" I found. He's a classic too.

"All of his saves have come in relief appearances"

"All of the Mets road wins against the Dodgers this year occurred at Dodger Stadium."

"Cadillacs are down at the end of the bat."

"Darryl Strawberry has been voted to the Hall of Fame five years in a row."

"Hello, everybody. Welcome to Kiner's Corner. This is....uh. I'm...uh"

"He's going to be out of action the rest of his career." - about Bruce Sutter

"If Casey Stengel were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave."

"I think one of the most difficult things for anyone who's played baseball is to accept the fact that maybe the players today are playing just as well as ever."

"It's like watching Mario Andretti park a car." - on Phil Niekro's knuckleball

"Jose DeLeon on his career has seventy-three wins and one-hundred and five rbi's."

"Kevin McReynolds stops at third and he scores."

"Now up to bat for the Mets is Gary Cooper."

"On Fathers Day, we again wish you all happy birthday."

"Solo homers usually come with no one on base."

"Sutton lost thirteen games in a row without winning a ballgame."

"The hall of fame ceremonies are on the thirty-first and thirty-second of July."

"The Mets have gotten their leadoff batter on only once this inning."

"The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball."

"This one deep to right and it is way back, going, going, it is gone, no off of the top of the wall."

"There's a lot of heredity in that family."

"Tony Gwynn was named player of the year for April."

"Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The other third is covered by Garry Maddox."

"You know what they say about Chicago. If you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes."

He may have been one interesting play-by-play announcer,

but he was an even more prolific home run hitter

Ralph Kiner led the league in home runs the first seven seasons of his career!

Old Post 05-29-05 04:15 PM
cisco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cisco Click here to Send cisco a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

cisco

Good post. I think Ralph Kiners most famous qupte was-"Home Run Hitters Drive Cadillac's". Kiner was one of his days top and most feared power hitters.

Old Post 05-29-05 04:23 PM
cisco
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Ragtop- I'm sorry to break into your thread, but it just brings back a lot of memories. (I'm 63)
I got these from the Baseball Almanac

Quotations From Casey Stengel
"All I ask is that you bust your heiny on that field."

"Amazing strength, amazing power - he (Ron Swoboda) can grind the dust out of the bat. He will be great, super even wonderful. Now, if he can only learn to catch a fly ball."

"As great as the other men were on the ball club, there comes a time when you get a weakness and it might be physical."

"Been in this game one-hundred years, but I see new ways to lose 'em I never knew existed before."

"Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in."

"Can't anybody here play this game?"

"Don't cut my throat, I may want to do that later myself."

"Don't drink in the hotel bar, that's where I do my drinking."

"Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa."

"He (Babe Ruth) was very brave at the plate. You rarely saw him fall away from a pitch. He stayed right in there. No one drove him out."

"He'd (Yogi Berra) fall in a sewer and come up with a gold watch."

"He (Gil Hodges) fields better on one leg than anybody else I got on two."

"He (Lyndon B. Johnson) wanted to see poverty, so he came to see my team (1964 New York Mets)."

"He (Mickey Mantle) has it in his body to be great."

"He (Mickey Mantle) should lead the league in everything. With his combination of speed and power he should win the triple batting crown every year. In fact, he should do anything he wants to do."

"He (Satchel Paige) threw the ball as far from the bat and as close to the plate as possible."

"He's throwing grounders."

"Hey Heffner, take them down to that other field (St. Petersburg spring training site) and find out if they can play on the road."

"I came in here and a fella asked me to have a drink. I said I don't drink. Then another fella said hear you and Joe DiMaggio aren't speaking and I said I'll take that drink."

"I could'nt done it without my players."

"I don't know if he throws a spitball but he sure spits on the ball."

"I don't like them fellas who drive in two runs and let in three."

"If anyone wants me tell them I'm being embalmed."

"I feel greatly honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I've been thrown out of so many."

"If this keeps up (four game winning streak) I'm about to manage until I'm a hundred."

"If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are."

"If you're playing baseball and thinking about managing, you're crazy. You'd be better off thinking about being an owner."

"If you're so smart, let's see you get out of the Army."

"I got players with bad watches - they can't tell midnight from noon."

"It's high time something was done for the pitchers. They put up the stands and take down fences to make more home runs and plague the pitchers. Let them revive the spitter and help the pitchers make a living."

"It's wonderful to meet so many friends that I didn't used to like."

"I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice."

"Kid (Phil Rizzuto) you're too small. You ought to go out and shine shoes."

"Look at him (Bobby Richardson) - he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't chew, he doesn't stay out late, and he still can't hit .250."

"Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits."

"(Mickey) Mantle had more ability than any player I ever had on that club."

"Most ball games are lost, not won."

"Mr. that boy couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of an airplane."

"My health is good enough about the shoulders."

"Nobody ever had too many of them (pitchers)."

"No, even my players aren't players."

"(Roger) Hornsby could run like anything but not like this kid. (Ty) Cobb was the fastest I ever saw for being sensational on the bases..."

"Say, I've got a tip on the market for you fellows (1929 Toledo Mudhens) - buy Pennsylvania Railroad because by tomorrow night about a dozen of you bums will be riding on it..."

"Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant."

"That kid can hit balls over buildings."

"The Mets are gonna be amazing."

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them."

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."

"The trouble with women umpires is that I couldn't argue with one. I'd put my arms around her and give her a little kiss."

"The Yankees don't pay me to win every day, just two out of three."

"They got a lot of kids now whose uniforms are so tight, especially the pants, that they cannot bend over to pick up ground balls. And they don't want to bend over in television games because in that way there is no way their face can get on the camera."

"They're been a lot of fast men but none as big and strong as (Mickey) Mantle. He's gonna be around a long time, if he can stay well, that fella of mine."

"They say he's (Yogi Berra) funny. Well, he has a lovely wife and family, a beautiful home, money in the bank, and he plays golf with millionaires. What's funny about that?"

"They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games."

"They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again."

"This club (1969 New York Mets) plays better baseball now. Some of them look fairly alert."

"Wake up muscles we're in New York now."

"We (the Mets) are a much improved ball club, now we lose in extra innings!"

"Well, that's baseball. Rags to riches one day and riches to rags the next. But I've been in it thirty-six years and I'm used to it."

"We've (1962 New York Mets) got to learn to stay out of triple plays."

"What do you (Mickey Mantle) think (demonstrated a play off Ebbets Field), I was born old?"

"Why has our pitching been so great? Our catcher (Yogi Berra) that's why. He looks cumbersome but he's quick as a cat."

"You can't go out to the mound, hobbling and take a pitcher out with a cane."

"You got to get twenty-seven outs to win."

"You have to go broke three times to learn how to make a living."

"You have to have a catcher or you'll have all passed balls."

"You put the whammy on his but when he's (Sandy Koufax) pitching, the whammy tends to go on vacation."

Old Post 05-29-05 04:40 PM
cisco is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cisco Click here to Send cisco a Private Message Edit post   Report post
buster
FoxDen Hall of Famer

my favorite---guess who it is

Don't take everything so liberally.

This woman could be a kidnapper, making you an excessity after the fact.

There's something rotten in Sweden, . Call it a father's intermission, but I smell a rat.

You're taking it out of contest.

Forget it. It's irrelevant. It ain't German to this conversation.

Don't you never read the papers about all them unflocked priests running around? This here priest ain't kosher and never was.

Listen to our world traveler, will ya. Ain't never been past the Chicago stock yards, and now he's a regular Marco Polock

I don't need their whole Dunne and Broadstreet.

Just who the hell are we entertaining here tonight? The Count to Monte Crisco?

The Mets winnin' the pennant, that would be a miracle. Yeah, like the immaculate connection

If you was half as sick as me, you'd be layin' on that floor waitin' for Rigor Morris to set in.

It's a proven fact that capital punishment is a known detergent for crime.

All I'm sayin' is it was unfair to the white ball players who weren't fortunate enough to be born with the same natural endorsements.

All you gotta know is I wouldn't go near her with a 10-foot Polock.

You think he's a nice boy after what he did? Comin' in here, makin' suppository remarks about our country. And callin' me prejudiced while I was singin' "God Bless America," a song written by a well-known and respected Jewish guy. Milton Berle.

Well, goodbye and good ribbons.

Old Post 05-29-05 04:47 PM
buster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buster Click here to Send buster a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bytore
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Archie Bunker!!! LOL!

That show was a classic!

Catch this one if you can Buster.

http://www.trailerparkboys.com

It is best to see the series as it started. Twisted humor it is. You might have to buy the DVD. No idea if it plays in any sort of syndication.

Old Post 05-29-05 05:32 PM
Bytore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bytore Click here to Send Bytore a Private Message Edit post   Report post
buster
FoxDen Hall of Famer

bytore i cannot give you the toaster as you are the one with the free toasters!!!!!!!archie was awesome!!!!and i have not let the other thread go un-noticed just trying to come up with a good rebuttal.ms.elvis and you are so fluid in your language and wording i do not want to embarrass myself

Old Post 05-29-05 05:40 PM
buster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buster Click here to Send buster a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bytore
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I could use a new coffee maker. That will do. lol

Old Post 05-29-05 05:47 PM
Bytore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bytore Click here to Send Bytore a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: