StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > NRFI/YRFI 7/05
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
msudogs

NRFI/YRFI 7/05

NRFI -122 (Play to -135)

Starting Pitchers: Paul Skenes vs. Luis Severino

I was pretty surprised to see the line on the NRFI being so reasonable here, considering the starting pitchers involved. Paul Skenes has been every bit as good as advertised in the majors, with a 2.06 ERA and 2.19 xFIP overall.

Both of those numbers get better his first time through the order, dropping to 1.69 and 1.62, respectively.

On the other side, Severino has been solid for the Mets, but even better early in games with a 2.27 first time through the order ERA.

The Mets have the better offense here (by a long shot) but that's cancelled out by having to face Skenes, while the Pittsburgh lineup isn't much of a threat even against lesser pitching.

I'd continue to play this one even if the total rises from 7.5 to 8.0, which could also lead to an even better line on the NRFI.

Old Post 07-05-24 07:05 PM
msudogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

Cardinals First Inning Moneyline +245 (Play to +225)

Starting Pitchers: Sonny Gray vs. Patrick Corbin

I've gone back and forth on how to play this game, with the traditional YRFI at -110, the Cardinals to score a run at +170, and the Cardinals first inning moneyline all projecting as values based on my model.

I prefer taking the bigger swing — for half of a unit — on the juicier pick, though. This is mostly based on fading Patrick Corbin, who has a 5.49 ERA overall and 5.29 ERA his first time through the order.

While the Cardinals are bad against lefties on the season, much of that was without catcher Willson Contreras. Contreras has excellent platoon splits against southpaws and a 155 wRC+ overall, and is back to batting third in their lineup.

On the other side, Sonny Gray has a 2.98 overall ERA that drops to 1.75 his first time through the order, so the Nationals chances aren't great at getting him to him early — hence taking the moneyline.

You could also risk .55 units to win .5 on the regular YRFI along with the moneyline play — that way, if the Nats are the only team to score, you break even.

Old Post 07-05-24 07:11 PM
msudogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msudogs Click here to Send msudogs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
msudogs

NRFI -140 (Play to -150

Starting Pitchers: Kevin Gausman vs. Luis Castillo

While these aren't elite pitchers, the fact that this game has a seven-run total, gives us hints as to what the market thinks of their chances tonight.

Gausman has a 4.75 ERA on the season, but both his xFIP and SIERA are nearly a full run lower, and so is his ERA the first time through the order.

Castillo has a 3.87 ERA, similar ERA predictors, and even better numbers early in the game.

With both teams ranking below average against righties in wRC+, it's worth laying the juice here.

Old Post 07-05-24 07:11 PM
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: