StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Cnotes NHL Regular and Stanley Cup Playoff's Best Bets !
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Flyers (0-0) at Senators (0-0)

Date: April 27, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

The Ottawa Senators could finish as high as fifth in the Eastern Conference or as low as eighth, but they're just happy being in the playoffs.

Having reigning Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson back is nice, too.

Ottawa will try to avoid a season-high third straight home loss Saturday night against a Philadelphia Flyers team that's closing out a non-playoff season on a surge.

Back after missing 31 games with a lacerated Achilles' tendon, Karlsson set up two goals - one of them Sergei Gonchar's winner - in a 2-1 overtime victory at Washington on Thursday. That helped the Senators (24-16-6) clinch a playoff berth and move into sixth in the East.

Should Ottawa finish in that spot, it would open against the Capitals. The Senators, though, could also overtake fifth-place Toronto or get passed by the New York Rangers and Islanders.

"This is what you fight for all year - to get into the playoffs,' captain Daniel Alfredsson said. "No matter who you play, it's going to be a tough series. Everybody poses different challenges, and I think we're the same way: We pose different challenges to other teams.'

The Senators are a much more dangerous team with Karlsson on the ice. Expected to be sidelined up to six months after Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke stepped on the back of his leg Feb. 13, the defenseman played a game-high 27-plus minutes Thursday as the Senators improved to 5-2-0 since a season-worst five-game losing streak. That slide ended with a 3-1 win at Philadelphia on April 11.

"I would have been happy if I sat in the stands and we would have won this game, as well, I think, and that's the main goal,' Karlsson said. "I'm going to have to work on my stuff, and as long as this team keeps winning, I'm going to be happy.'

The Flyers (22-22-3) appear to be playing mad after missing the postseason, winning three straight and five of six. They've outscored opponents 23-11 in the five victories.

"What's the point? There's no difference (if we win Saturday),' said Ilya Bryzgalov, who finished with 21 saves in a 2-1 victory over the Islanders on Thursday. "We are not going to make the playoffs. It doesn't matter whether you're two games below or two games above .500. It's pointless.

"Of course, it's nice to win the games, but at the end of the day it doesn't change anything.'

There could be a number of changes made in the offseason, though, as coach Peter Laviolette's return for a fifth season is in doubt. Veteran center Danny Briere could also be playing his last game in a Flyers sweater.

"It wouldn't be right for me to start commenting on that at this point,' Briere said. "I have a job to do. I have one more game to play."

Briere scored just his sixth goal of the season Thursday.

The Senators are seeking a 12th victory in Philadelphia's last 14 visits. Ottawa plays at Boston in Sunday's regular-season finale, a game rescheduled from April 15 due to the Boston Marathon bombings.

Believe in the 3 G's
GIRLS, GOLF,GAMBLING not in any particular order.

Old Post 04-27-13 05:18 PM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Red Wings (0-0) at Stars (0-0)

The Detroit Red Wings find themselves in an unfamiliar situation as their bid to extend a 21-year playoff streak comes down to the regular-season finale.

It's a position the eliminated Dallas Stars definitely envy, though.

Detroit looks to clinch yet another Western Conference postseason berth by earning a point on the road Saturday night against a Dallas team hoping to play spoiler.

The Red Wings (23-16-8) were expected to have a difficult journey to the playoffs after seven-time Norris Trophy winner and longtime captain Nicklas Lidstrom, along with forward Tomas Holmstrom, retired during the offseason.

Veterans Pavel Datsyuk, new captain Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen have led Detroit as its top three scorers, but the club is clinging to one of the final playoff spots as the lockout-shortened season comes to a close.

The Red Wings helped their chances of extending the playoff streak by beating Nashville 5-2 on Thursday for their third straight win, as Datsyuk and Franzen scored and Zetterberg added two assists.

They will guarantee a postseason spot by earning at least one point versus Dallas.

``We just have to make sure we get in the playoffs and hope we keep playing well. That's the plan,' said center Valtteri Filppula, who scored his 100th goal Thursday. ``Now we'll just wait and see what happens.'

Zetterberg has seven assists during the winning streak and Datsyuk has two goals and three assists over the last two. If Detroit does qualify for the postseason, it will finish with its worst seed since the current playoff format was instituted in 1993-94.

"It's nice to get the two points, now just have to move on to the last game," Zetterberg said.

All Dallas has to play for is a chance to keep the Red Wings out of the playoffs, as it will miss the postseason for a fifth straight season.

The Stars (22-21-4) put up a fight down the stretch despite the team having traded Brenden Morrow, Jaromir Jagr and Derek Roy prior to the deadline, but they've lost four straight to eliminate them from contention.

``It hasn't really sunk in yet, I don't think,' said Kari Lehtonen, who made 32 saves in a 3-1 defeat to Columbus on Thursday. ``It feels bad right now and I'm sure it feels even worse tomorrow.'

Defenseman Stephane Robidas was with the Stars for their last playoff appearance in 2008, when they lost in six games to Detroit in the conference finals.

"It's another tough one for me to swallow," Robidas said. "It's been a long time since I've had the chance to get in the playoffs. The good news, I guess you've got to look at the positives, a lot of guys fought until the end. A lot of people thought we were done after the deadline and we kind of made it until this game, we still had a chance to make it."

Lehtonen, who has a 3.00 goals-against average during Dallas' skid, made 39 saves in a 2-1 win over Detroit on Jan. 22 that ended a four-game skid in the series. Filppula scored twice and Zetterberg added a goal and an assist in the Red Wings' 4-1 victory Jan. 29.

Jimmy Howard has gone 4-1-1 with a 1.16 GAA in his last six starts.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:20 PM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Canadiens (0-0) at Maple Leafs (0-0)

The Montreal Canadiens are still in contention for the Northeast Division title. Even if they can't secure it, they'll open their first playoff series in two years at home.

It could be against the Toronto Maple Leafs, whom they haven't met in the postseason since 1979.

Montreal will try to keep pace in the division race Saturday night when the host Maple Leafs try to lock up the fifth spot in the Eastern Conference.

The Canadiens (28-14-5) guaranteed they'll play at least one round in Montreal with a 4-2 victory over Winnipeg on Thursday.

"It's huge. Home ice is really big in the playoffs," captain Brian Gionta said.

Montreal would like to have a better chance for additional rounds to be played on its home ice as it seeks its first division title since 2007-08, which would give it the second seed. The Canadiens and Boston are tied atop the Northeast with 61 points, but the Bruins have a game in hand.

If the Canadiens lose in regulation Saturday and Boston picks up one point at Washington, Montreal will be the No. 4 seed.

That could set up a first-round matchup with Toronto (26-16-5), a storied rivalry during the Original Six days of the NHL that's been on hiatus. The Maple Leafs need one point to ensure they don't drop to the sixth spot.

"Can't wait. We've been away from the city for almost too long,' said center Nazem Kadri, who set up both of Phil Kessel's goals Thursday as Toronto capped a 2-1-0 trip with a 4-0 victory over Florida. "It was nice to get up here and kind of throw our feet up a little bit and get two points out of it, but I'm ready to go back and handle our business on Saturday.'

The Maple Leafs have been taking care of home ice, winning seven of nine there including a 5-1 victory over Montreal on April 13.

Toronto scored four times on its first five shots in that contest en route to ending a three-game home losing streak in the series.

That defeat began a 2-5-0 stretch for Montreal and falling behind early has become a disturbing trend. The Canadiens have trailed by at least two in the first period of each of their last five losses.

"Based on what happened the last game (April 13), we want to make sure we come out and have a strong start," Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban told the team's official website.

Montreal will need to tightly check Kessel, who has nine of his team-best 19 goals in the last nine contests. Kessel has posted team highs of five assists and seven points as Toronto has taken three of four from Montreal this season.

Kessel was joined Thursday on a line by Kadri for the first time due to Tyler Bozak getting the night off, but it could be a sign of things to come.

"I've always wanted to play with Phil just because he's a world-class player,' Kadri said. "I want to make myself better by playing with those types of guys. He really opens the ice out there for you."

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty scored his team-leading 15th goal Thursday. He can match a career-high seven-game point streak and set a personal best with goals in four consecutive games Saturday.

Pacioretty scored twice in Montreal's first visit to Toronto this season, a 5-2 victory Feb. 27.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:21 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Predators (0-0) at Blue Jackets (0-0)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - It might be the most important regular-season game in Columbus Blue Jackets history - or maybe just the end of a remarkable turnaround.

When they host the Nashville Predators on Saturday night in the final game on their schedule, the Blue Jackets still hold out hope of making the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"We were just talking in the back, the coaches, and our players have earned this opportunity," coach Todd Richards said after Thursday night's 3-1 win at Dallas. "Granted, we still need some help, but it's going to make for a great environment on Saturday in our building. I'm sure the fans are going to be loud and behind us. The players have earned that - and I think the fans have earned it, too."

For fans used to a team playing out the string, this has been a welcome jolt of optimism. The club was 30th of the 30 NHL teams a year ago, and was trolling the depths of the league two months ago.

Since then, the doubters have been quieted.

"All the people who doubt you, you know, let 'em doubt," said forward Cam Atkinson, who had two goals in the victory over the Stars. "All that matters is the guys in the locker room and what we're doing."

What they're doing is almost incomprehensible for followers of the team, annually one of the worst in the NHL.

On Feb. 26, the Blue Jackets had the worst record in the league (5-12-2). Since then they have gone 18-5-5 to vault into a tie with Minnesota with 53 points for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

In order to make the playoffs, the Blue Jackets (23-17-7) must beat floundering Nashville (16-22-9) while seventh-place Detroit (54 points) loses its regular-season finale in regulation at Dallas, also on Saturday and at the same time.

That, however, would end the Red Wings' 21-year string of making the playoffs, something the veterans in Hockeytown have vowed won't happen on their watch.

Columbus also has a long shot of making it in if Minnesota manages just one point in its final game Saturday at Colorado.

So rest assured that the Blue Jackets will be keeping an eye on the scores from Dallas. And they'll be rooting like crazy for the Stars.

"Dallas? Yeah, hopefully they do us a favor," said Pittsburgh castoff Mark Letestu, who became the Blue Jackets' goals leader with his 13th, the game-winner in the third period, against the Stars.

The primary emphasis is on taking care of their own business.

"First, we worry about ourselves," said forward Marian Gaborik, acquired from the New York Rangers at the trade deadline. "But everybody gets on the phone after a game and watches the scores around the league, what's going on. That's just the nature."

No one will have to check their phones. A capacity crowd at Nationwide Arena will undoubtedly be tuned into the happenings at American Airlines Center.

Even if they fall short, the Blue Jackets have gained from the experience of winning and contending. They've also piled up some eye-popping numbers during their rejuvenation.

- They were 2-4-2 at home at one time, but are 11-1-3 since.

- They were 2-8-0 in the first 10 road games but went 8-4-2 in their last 14, including 7-2-0 in the last nine.

- Sergei Bobrovsky, the front-runner to win the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goaltender, was 3-6-3 with an .898 save percentage and a 2.90 goals-against average through February. Since then he is 17-5-3, .946 and 1.62.

Now the season comes down to one night.

"We're going to have to do it again on Saturday. It's going to be a great crowd and a great opportunity and it's going to be a lot of fun," center Brandon Dubinsky said. "The job's not done but we gave ourselves an opportunity."

Nashville has gone 2-9-3 in its past 14 overall and has dropped nine straight and 15 of 16 on the road (1-11-4). It is the Predators' longest slide away from home since one of the same duration spanned the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons.

"It's been a rough patch," said defenseman Shea Weber, who leads the Predators with 19 assists and 27 points.

Nashville, which will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2009, has dropped three of four to Columbus this season.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:23 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Hurricanes (0-0) at Penguins (0-0)

Date: April 27, 2013 7:30 PM EDT

Their playoff position secure ahead of a game with no postseason implications, the Pittsburgh Penguins simply hope to stay healthy when they wrap up their regular season against the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday night.

Pittsburgh (35-12-0) is the top seed in the Eastern Conference, an impressive accomplishment considering the spate of injuries to key players Evgeni Malkin, James Neal, defenseman Paul Martin and of course, center Sidney Crosby.

Crosby, who almost certainly would have won the Art Ross Trophy as the league's leading scorer - despite missing the last 11 games with a broken jaw, his 56 points are only two fewer than the total of leader Martin St. Louis - as well as garnered plenty of consideration for the Hart Trophy as MVP. He participated in non-contact drills - his first practice time in nearly a month - Friday and is still waiting to be cleared while also adjusting to a new shield that protects the injured jaw.

"(Returning) is not really up to me," he told the Penguins' official website after practice. "I'll just keep talking to the doctors. It's something they have to be comfortable with the healing.

"It's pretty good. I can tell there is something wrong, but it's not anything that's been too painful. The last week or so has been pretty good."

Even with back-to-back losses, the most recent a 3-2 defeat at New Jersey on Thursday, it has been a pretty good week for the Penguins. Malkin has returned after missing four games with an upper-body injury and coach Dan Bylsma said Neal and Martin will return for this game.

Neal - third on the team with 18 goals - has missed the last eight games after suffering a concussion April 5, while Martin was sidelined the previous 12 with a broken bone in his left hand from blocking a shot March 28.

"I wasn't trying to rush it back or get in a game before playoffs," Neal said. "I feel like I'm ready to play now. So just get back up to game speed and get ready and ramp it up for the playoffs."

Neal likely will feature on Pittsburgh's top line with Malkin and Chris Kunitz, and Martin practiced Friday with Simon Despres.

Carolina (19-24-4) can secure third place in the Southeast with a point but will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season. The Hurricanes have gone 2-1-2 in their last five, but a 4-3 overtime defeat to the New York Rangers on Thursday left a bitter taste.

A fluke carom off the end board led to the puck bouncing off goaltender Dan Ellis' skate for the tying goal late in regulation.

"There's times that we haven't worked for our bounces,' said Ellis, who finished with 34 saves. "I think we did work for our bounces and we just got one against us.'

Alexander Semin will again not play due to a concussion, and coach Kirk Muller may give Staal brothers Jared, Eric and Jordan another chance as linemates. Jared made his NHL debut Thursday, playing just over 12 minutes.

The teams split the two previous games at Carolina, with Malkin snapping a 3-all tie with 9:58 left in a 5-3 victory April 9.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:24 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Canucks (0-0) at Oilers (0-0)

Date: April 27, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

Roberto Luongo lost what likely was his final home game in a Vancouver Canucks uniform.

He'll hope for a better result in what most believe will be his last regular-season appearance with the team Saturday night against the Edmonton Oilers.

With No. 1 goaltender Cory Schneider sidelined by an undisclosed injury suffered against Chicago on Monday, Luongo started Thursday's 3-1 loss to Anaheim and is scheduled to be in net against the Oilers. The Canucks are expected to move Luongo via trade or a contract buyout in the offseason after they were unable to swing a deal at the trade deadline or last summer.

With Schneider almost certain to start the playoff opener, this could be Luongo's final game with the Canucks (24-14-7) if he doesn't make any postseason appearances.

Luongo is finishing his seventh season with Vancouver and is the franchise leader in wins (233) and shutouts (35), while ranking second in games played (405).

"For me it didn't feel like the last game," the 34-year-old Luongo said after losing to Anaheim. "So it's tough to think that way when there are games ahead."

The Canucks had an eight-game home win streak snapped Thursday, getting outshot 25-9 over the first two periods before reversing that with a 20-5 advantage in the final 20 minutes.

"I don't want to make excuses for the group," Luongo said. "We're all professionals, and we know the intensity we need to be successful and we saw that in the third when we were playing our game. We completely dominated the play."

As Northwest Division champions for the fifth straight season, the Canucks are locked into the third seed though their first-round opponent is still to be determined.

Vancouver's special teams have been very good lately, which bodes well for the playoffs. The power play is 6 for 22 over the last six games, while the penalty killers have been scored upon only twice in the past 38 short-handed situations.

Although the Oilers (18-22-7) will miss the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season, they are coming off an impressive 6-1 victory at Minnesota on Friday. Corey Potter and Nail Yakupov each scored twice as Edmonton prevented the Wild from clinching a playoff spot.

"We wanted to come out and spoil their party, and we did," said Taylor Hall, who had a goal and two assists.

The six goals marked a rare offensive outburst for a team that had scored two in its previous three contests and averaged 1.4 during a 1-9-0 skid.

Edmonton has been outscored 22-7 during a six-game home losing streak, but is 1-0-1 there against Vancouver this season.

Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 38 shots Friday, but likely will give way to Devan Dubnyk for the season finale. Dubnyk has lost his last four home starts, posting a 3.62 goals-against average.

Luongo is 4-0-1 with a 1.72 GAA in his past five versus the Oilers.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:30 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL

Saturday, April 27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadiens at Maple Leafs: What bettors need to know
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal Canadiens at Toronto Maple Leafs (+115, 5.5)

Sitting fourth and fifth in the Eastern Conference entering their final game of the regular season, the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs are likely to meet in the opening round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Toronto hosts the rival Canadiens on Saturday in a preview of that potential playoff matchup. The Maple Leafs hold a 3-1-0 series advantage on Northeast Division rival Montreal, opening the season with a 2-1 road victory and following that with a 6-0 rout on Feb. 9 - also at Montreal. The Canadiens’ only win over the Maple Leafs came at Toronto on Feb. 27, when Max Pacioretty scored twice in a 5-2 triumph, but Toronto responded with a 5-1 home win on April 13.

Montreal is tied with the Boston Bruins for the division lead at 61 points, but Boston has a game in hand. The Maple Leafs are three points clear of sixth place and a point on Saturday would ensure them fifth seed. James Reimer has been excellent for Toronto in April, posting a 2.09 goals-against average and a .938 save percentage in 10 starts. Conversely, Canadiens goaltender Carey Price has struggled, allowing three or more goals in five of his last seven starts. Montreal’s fifth-ranked power play remains potent, with goals in three of its last four games and an 11-for-50 mark this month. The Maple Leafs have allowed three power-play goals on 39 times short-handed in April.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, CBC, RDS, NHL Network (U.S.)

ABOUT THE CANADIENS (28-14-5): Pacioretty leads the team with 13 points this month, while defenseman P.K. Subban has 11 (eight with the man advantage). Rookie Alex Galchenyuk has been held off the scoresheet in just three contests in April - by far the most consistent month of his young career. Galchenyuk has six of his nine career goals in the last 11 games. Fellow rookie Brendan Gallagher scored his 14th goal as part of a third-period comeback in Thursday’s 4-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets. Lars Eller has three points in his last two games and a season-high 10 this month. Tomas Plekanec has 13 goals, but none since March 30. Michael Ryder has three assists in his last eight contests.

ABOUT THE MAPLE LEAFS (26-26-5): With nine goals and 17 points in April, Phil Kessel is carrying Toronto’s offense. Kessel also leads the Maple Leafs in scoring against the Canadiens, with seven points in the previous four games. Kessel skated on a line with Nazem Kadri and Joffrey Lupul on Thursday and the trio combined for two goals - both by Kessel - and five points in a 4-0 win over Florida. Despite the shortened campaign, Kessel’s 32 assists match the second-best total of his career. Defenseman Cody Franson has nine points this month and is one away from tying his career-high of 29 set two seasons ago. Clarke MacArthur’s goal against Florida was his first since March 9.

TRENDS:

* Maple Leafs are 5-0 in their last five Saturday games.
* Over is 5-1 in Maple Leafs’ last six home games.
* Over is 6-1-1 in Canadiens’ last eight overall.

OVERTIME

1. Reimer is 4-2-0 in seven career starts against Montreal, with two shutouts.

2. The Canadiens have the third-best road record in the conference at 14-7-2, behind the Pittsburgh Penguins and the New York Islanders.

3. The last time Toronto and Montreal met in the postseason was the 1979 conference semifinals, when their rosters included future Hall-of-Famers like Guy Lafleur, Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald and Borje Salming. The Canadiens took that series in a four-game sweep en route to their fourth consecutive Stanley Cup.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:34 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL
Dunkel

Detroit at Dallas
The Stars look to take advantage of a Detroit team that is 2-5 in its last 7 road games. Dallas is the pick (+110) according to Dunkel, which has the Stars favored by 1/2 a goal. Dunkel Pick: Dallas (+110). Here are all of today's picks.

SATURDAY, APRIL 27

Game 1-2: New Jersey at NY Rangers (3:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: New Jersey 12.608; NY Rangers 11.935
Dunkel Line & Total: New Jersey by 1/2; 6
Vegas Line & Total: No Line
Dunkel Pick: N/A

Game 3-4: Florida at Tampa Bay (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Florida 9.749; Tampa Bay 11.398
Dunkel Line & Total: Tampa Bay by 1 1/2; 5
Vegas Line & Total: Tampa Bay (-185); 5 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Tampa Bay (-185); Under

Game 5-6: Nashville at Columbus (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Nashville 10.908; Columbus 11.379
Dunkel Line & Total: Columbus by 1/2; 6
Vegas Line & Total: Columbus (-230); 5
Dunkel Pick: Columbus (-230); Over

Game 7-8: Boston at Washington (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Boston 10.990; Washington 11.974
Dunkel Line & Total: Washington by 1; 4 1/2
Vegas Line & Total: Boston (-130); 5 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Washington (+110); Under

Game 9-10: Carolina at Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Carolina 10.858; Pittsburgh 13.168
Dunkel Line & Total: Pittsburgh by 2 1/2; 6 1/2
Vegas Line & Total: Pittsburgh (-200); 5 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Pittsburgh (-200); Over

Game 11-12: Philadelphia at Ottawa (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Philadelphia 11.991; Ottawa 11.641
Dunkel Line & Total: Philadelphia by 1/2; 5

Game 13-14: Montreal at Toronto (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Montreal 10.999; Toronto 11.809
Dunkel Line & Total: Toronto by 1; 5
Vegas Line & Total: Montreal (-120); 5 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Toronto (+100); Under

Game 15-16: Minnesota at Colorado (7:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Minnesota 11.870; Colorado 10.959
Dunkel Line & Total: Minnesota by 1; 6 1/2

Game 17-18: Chicago at St. Louis (8:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Chicago 11.672; St. Louis 13.243
Dunkel Line & Total: St. Louis by 1 1/2; 4
Vegas Line & Total: St. Louis (-160); 5
Dunkel Pick: St. Louis (-160); Under

Game 19-20: Detroit at Dallas (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Detroit 12.041; Dallas 12.591
Dunkel Line & Total: Dallas by 1/2; 6
Vegas Line & Total: Detroit (-130); 5
Dunkel Pick: Dallas (+110); Over

Game 21-22: Vancouver at Edmonton (10:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Vancouver 11.096; Edmonton 11.562
Dunkel Line & Total: Edmonton by 1/2; 5 1/2
Vegas Line & Total: Vancouver (-130); 5
Dunkel Pick: Edmonton (+110); Over

Game 23-24: Phoenix at Anaheim (10:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Phoenix 10.614; Anaheim 10.919
Dunkel Line & Total: Anaheim by 1/2; 4
Vegas Line & Total: Anaheim (-160); 5
Dunkel Pick: Anaheim (-160); Under

Game 25-26: San Jose at Los Angeles (10:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: San Jose 11.749; Los Angeles 11.249
Dunkel Line & Total: San Jose by 1/2; 4
Vegas Line & Total: Los Angeles (-155); 5
Dunkel Pick: San Jose (+135); Under

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:39 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

04/26/13 6-_2-_0 75.00% +_2735 Detail
04/25/13 10-_10-_1 50.00% +_60 Detail
04/24/13 6-_2-_0 75.00% +_1995 Detail
04/23/13 4-_13-_3 23.53% -_6440 Detail
04/22/13 4-_6-_0 40.00% -_1220 Detail
04/21/13 6-_8-_2 42.86% -_1430 Detail
04/20/13 6-_7-_1 46.15% -_1090 Detail
04/19/13 1-_6-_1 14.29% -_2980 Detail
04/18/13 11-_9-_0 55.00% +_930 Detail
04/17/13 3-_3-_2 50.00% +_385 Detail
04/16/13 10-_5-_1 66.67% +_2590 Detail
04/15/13 10-_4-_0 71.43% +_3245 Detail
04/14/13 3-_3-_0 50.00% -_15 Detail
04/13/13 10-_11-_1 47.62% -_750 Detail
04/11/13 8-_8-_2 50.00% +_65 Detail
04/10/13 7-_2-_1 77.78% +_1940 Detail
04/09/13 8-_10-_0 44.44% -_1570 Detail
04/08/13 6-_4-_0 60.00% +_760 Detail
04/07/13 9-_6-_1 60.00% +_915 Detail
04/06/13 9-_8-_1 52.94% +_350 Detail
04/05/13 8-_4-_0 66.67% +_2270 Detail
04/04/13 11-_9-_0 55.00% +_975 Detail
04/03/13 7-_3-_0 70.00% +_1975 Detail
04/02/13 8-_5-_1 61.54% +_940 Detail
04/01/13 7-_8-_3 46.67% -_685 Detail

Totals 178-_156-_21 53.29% +5950

Saturday, April 27

Game Score Status Pick Amount

New Jersey - 3:00 PM ET NY Rangers -180 500
NY Rangers - Under 5 500

Montreal - 7:00 PM ET Montreal -104 500
Toronto - Under 5.5 500

Philadelphia - 7:00 PM ET Ottawa -170 500
Ottawa - Over 5.5 500

Boston - 7:00 PM ET Boston -122 500
Washington - Under 5.5 500

Florida - 7:00 PM ET Tampa Bay -175 500
Tampa Bay - Over 5.5 500

Nashville - 7:00 PM ET Columbus -230 500
Columbus - Under 5 500

Detroit - 7:00 PM ET Detroit -132 500
Dallas - Over 5 500

Carolina - 7:30 PM ET Carolina +187 500
Pittsburgh - Over 5.5 500

Minnesota - 7:30 PM ET Minnesota -130 500
Colorado - Under 5 500

Chicago - 8:00 PM ET St. Louis -157 500
St. Louis - Under 5 500

Vancouver - 10:00 PM ET Vancouver -125 500
Edmonton - Under 5 500

Phoenix - 10:00 PM ET Phoenix +146 500 POD # 1
Anaheim - Over 5 500

San Jose - 10:30 PM ET Los Angeles -147 500
Los Angeles - Under 5 500

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-27-13 05:47 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Senators (0-0) at Bruins (0-0)

Date: April 28, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

The final regular-season game will be a very important one for the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins.

While the Bruins will be focused on winning the Northeast Division title Sunday night, the visiting Senators have an opportunity to move up a spot and avoid high-powered Pittsburgh in the first round.

The regular season was originally scheduled to end Saturday, but this game was postponed from April 15 in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings.

Boston (28-13-6) has been vying with Montreal for the Northeast lead for most of the season and the Bruins will have the final say as they chase their third straight division title.

A 3-2 overtime loss at Washington on Saturday, coupled with the Canadiens' 4-1 win over Toronto, left Boston one point back and needing a victory of any kind to secure the division and the No. 2 seed.

``It's good that there are no games that don't matter,' Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask said. ``Every game has mattered this season, and that's the way it's going to be until the end.'

Besides better postseason position, a victory would give Boston a much-needed jolt of confidence after losing for the sixth time in eight games. The Bruins squandered a two-goal lead in the third period and gave up three power-play goals.

``We want to win that division,' coach Claude Julien said, ``so we're going to play to win tomorrow - no ifs, ands or buts.'

Facing the Senators (24-17-6) would appear to be a favorable matchup for the Bruins, winners of five straight and 13 of 14 in the series. Boston has outscored Ottawa 23-11 while taking six of seven home meetings.

A win of any kind would put the Senators in a first-round matchup with Montreal, while an overtime or shootout loss means a meeting with Boston. A regulation loss would leave Ottawa as the No. 8 seed and set up a series against the Penguins.

``We're going in to win a game," coach Paul MacLean said. "We haven't beaten that team yet this year. We've been close on a number of occasions and tomorrow we have to go in and win a game."

The Senators could've picked up the point they needed to move up to seventh Saturday, but lost 2-1 to Philadelphia despite outshooting the Flyers 44-25. It was the third loss in four games for Ottawa, which was held to three or fewer goals for the 15th consecutive contest.

``Just because we throw 40 at the net doesn't mean that we're getting great scoring chances,' goalie Craig Anderson said. ``We had some good scoring chances, don't get me wrong, but we've got to find a way to score on a few of those.'

Offense has been an issue all season for Ottawa and the power play has contributed very little lately. After going scoreless on five opportunities Saturday, the Senators are 2 for 22 with the man advantage in the last seven games.

Generating offense in this game may not be easy regardless of which Boston goalie starts. Rask has posted a 1.21 goals-against average while winning his four career starts against Ottawa, and backup Anton Khudobin is 3-0-0 with a 1.33 GAA lifetime in the series. Khudobin has won both meetings this season, including a career-high 45-save performance in a 3-2 victory April 2.

Anderson, who hasn't faced the Bruins this season, has gone 1-7-0 with a 4.20 GAA in his last eight meetings.

Backup Robin Lehner has been much better, posting a 2.13 GAA in six starts versus Boston despite a 1-3-2 record.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-28-13 09:41 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Sunday, April 28

Hot teams
-- None.

Cold teams
-- Bruins lost six of their last eight games. Ottawa lost three of last four.

Totals
-- Under is 15-5-3 in last 23 Boston games.

Series records
-- Bruins won 13 of last 14 games against Ottawa.

Back-to-backs
-- Bruins are 3-4 if they played night before, 2-0 if they lost. Ottawa is 3-3 if they played the night before, 0-3 on the road.

NHL

Sunday, April 28

Trend Report

7:00 PM
OTTAWA vs. BOSTON
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Ottawa's last 5 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Ottawa's last 6 games when playing Boston
Boston is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Boston's last 5 games

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-28-13 04:02 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL
Long Sheet

Sunday, April 28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA (24-17-0-6, 54 pts.) at BOSTON (28-13-0-6, 62 pts.) - 4/28/2013, 7:05 PM
There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

Head-to-Head Series History
BOSTON is 14-2 (+10.6 Units) against the spread versus OTTAWA over the last 3 seasons
BOSTON is 14-2-0 straight up against OTTAWA over the last 3 seasons
8 of 14 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+1.3 Units)

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-28-13 04:03 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

04/27/13 17-_8-_1 68.00% +_3620 Detail
04/26/13 6-_2-_0 75.00% +_2735 Detail
04/25/13 10-_10-_1 50.00% +_60 Detail
04/24/13 6-_2-_0 75.00% +_1995 Detail
04/23/13 4-_13-_3 23.53% -_6440 Detail
04/22/13 4-_6-_0 40.00% -_1220 Detail
04/21/13 6-_8-_2 42.86% -_1430 Detail
04/20/13 6-_7-_1 46.15% -_1090 Detail
04/19/13 1-_6-_1 14.29% -_2980 Detail
04/18/13 11-_9-_0 55.00% +_930 Detail
04/17/13 3-_3-_2 50.00% +_385 Detail
04/16/13 10-_5-_1 66.67% +_2590 Detail
04/15/13 10-_4-_0 71.43% +_3245 Detail
04/14/13 3-_3-_0 50.00% -_15 Detail
04/13/13 10-_11-_1 47.62% -_750 Detail
04/11/13 8-_8-_2 50.00% +_65 Detail
04/10/13 7-_2-_1 77.78% +_1940 Detail
04/09/13 8-_10-_0 44.44% -_1570 Detail
04/08/13 6-_4-_0 60.00% +_760 Detail
04/07/13 9-_6-_1 60.00% +_915 Detail
04/06/13 9-_8-_1 52.94% +_350 Detail
04/05/13 8-_4-_0 66.67% +_2270 Detail
04/04/13 11-_9-_0 55.00% +_975 Detail
04/03/13 7-_3-_0 70.00% +_1975 Detail
04/02/13 8-_5-_1 61.54% +_940 Detail
04/01/13 7-_8-_3 46.67% -_685 Detail

Totals 195-_164-_22 54.32% +9570

Sunday, April 28

Ottawa - 7:00 PM ET Ottawa +165 500 POD # 1

Boston - Under 5 500

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-28-13 06:20 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL

Monday, April 29

NHL Western Conference playoff preview: Round 1

The NHL’s Western Conference playoffs are seemingly always a crapshoot because very little separates all eight teams that qualify for the playoffs.

The Los Angeles Kings were the darlings of last year’s playoffs and are back to defend their Stanley Cup title as the No. 5 seed, but everyone is talking about the Chicago Blackhawks and their dominance on ice this season.

Here is our Western Conference playoff preview:

No. 1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. No. 8 Minnesota Wild

Season series: Blackhawks won 3-2 SU, 1-4 over/under

Series prices: TBA

Why bet the Blackhawks: The Blackhawks are the Presidents’ Trophy winners for establishing the league’s best regular-season record. Chicago allowed a league-low two goals per game while netting 3.1 markers – the second-highest output in the NHL.

Why bet the Wild: The Wild haven't appeared in the playoffs since the 2007-08 season so their faithful are starved for playoff hockey. The frenzied Minnesota crowd is sure to make life difficult for Chicago at the Xcel Energy Center. The Wild outhit the Blackhawks in all three meetings (66-38 overall) and could wear down Chicago in a long series. The Blackhawks have lost in the first round of the playoffs the last two seasons after winning the Stanley Cup in 2010.

No. 2 Anaheim Ducks vs. No. 7 Detroit Red Wings

Season series: Red Wings won 2-1 SU, 2-1 over/under

Why bet the Ducks: The Ducks are the Pacific Division champs and boast a two-headed monster in goal. Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth form a formidable one-two punch and coach Bruce Boudreau won’t hesitate to pull the trigger on a goaltender switch at any point in the series.

Why bet the Red Wings: The Wings have already been playing playoff-style hockey down the stretch in order to qualify for their 22nd consecutive postseason. Goaltender Jimmy Howard has posted two shutouts during Detroit’s current four-game win streak.

No. 3 Vancouver Canucks vs. No. 6 San Jose Sharks

Season series: Sharks won 3-0 SU, 0-1-2 over/under

Why bet the Canucks: When these squads last squared off in a playoff series two years ago during Vancouver's run to the Stanley Cup final, the Sharks had a significantly higher physical component going for them, with the likes of Ryane Clowe, Douglas Murray and Jamie McGinn. Vancouver has struggled against physical opponents at times throughout the regular season, but shouldn't be pushed around by San Jose. The Canucks have been cup contenders for the past few seasons, and boast a roster loaded with plenty of playoff experience.

Why bet the Sharks: The Sharks have one distinct advantage over the Canucks - a goaltender that boasts a Stanley Cup ring. Antti Niemi has been carrying the team all season long and has been there and done that in the NHL postseason. The Sharks also have an experienced core of forwards such as Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, and Joe Pavelski that will be out to change their reputations as chokers in the postseason.

No. 4 St. Louis Blues vs. No. 5 Los Angeles Kings

Season series: Kings won 3-0 SU, 2-0-1 over/under

Why bet the Blues: The Blues fought hard down the stretch and won 12 of their final 15 contests to earn home-ice in the first round. They also have a hot goalie. Brian Elliott has returned to form, allowing just 16 goals in April on 305 shots (.948 save percentage). He also led the NHL in April with 11 wins and a 1.28 goals-against average.

Why bet the Kings: The Kings are the defending Stanley Cup champs. Los Angeles made history as the No. 8 seed last season and not having home-ice in any of the four rounds didn’t matter. The Kings will also welcome back captain Dustin Brown for Game 1 after he served a two-game suspension for an elbow on Minnesota’s Jason Pominville.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-29-13 07:22 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL

Monday, April 29

NHL betting review: Best bets of 2013 season

The lockout-shortened NHL regular season has provided bettors with plenty of action for the last few months and that action will undoubtedly heat up with the playoffs just around the corner.

Here’s a look back at some of the best bets of the 2013 season:

Best moneyline bet

Anaheim Ducks (+22.01 units)

The Ducks’ 30-12-6 straight up record was the third-best in the NHL and good enough to clinch the Pacific Division.

Best puckline bet

Columbus Blue Jackets (36-12 ATS)

The Blue Jackets came up just short in their playoff drive, but their puckline bettors are rolling around in mounds of cash. Columbus had an uncanny ability to keep games close all season long.

Best over bet

Tampa Bay Lightning (25-19-4 over/under)

The Lightning had no issues lighting the lamp in 2013. Martin St. Louis captured the Art Ross Trophy thanks to his 60-point campaign and playing on a line with sniper Steven Stamkos (57 points) didn’t hurt his cause. Tampa’s horrendous goaltending also contributed to its stellar over record.

Best under bet

Ottawa Senators (10-30-7 over/under)

The Senators have gone low in 10 straight contests heading into Sunday’s finale with the Boston Bruins. Goaltender Craig Anderson leads the league with a sparkling 1.69 GAA and .941 save percentage.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-29-13 07:23 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

The NHL’s Western Conference playoffs are seemingly always a crapshoot because very little separates all eight teams that qualify for the playoffs.

The Los Angeles Kings were the darlings of last year’s playoffs and are back to defend their Stanley Cup title as the No. 5 seed, but everyone is talking about the Chicago Blackhawks and their dominance on ice this season.

(All series prices courtesy of CarbonSports.ag)

Series prices: Wild +325, Blackhawks -450

Why bet the Blackhawks: The Blackhawks are the Presidents’ Trophy winners for establishing the league’s best regular-season record. Chicago allowed a league-low two goals per game while netting 3.1 markers – the second-highest output in the NHL.

Why bet the Wild: The Wild haven't appeared in the playoffs since the 2007-08 season so their faithful are starved for playoff hockey. The frenzied Minnesota crowd is sure to make life difficult for Chicago at the Xcel Energy Center. The Wild outhit the Blackhawks in all three meetings (66-38 overall) and could wear down Chicago in a long series. The Blackhawks have lost in the first round of the playoffs the last two seasons after winning the Stanley Cup in 2010.

Series prices: Red Wings +110, Ducks -140

Why bet the Ducks: The Ducks are the Pacific Division champs and boast a two-headed monster in goal. Jonas Hiller and Viktor Fasth form a formidable one-two punch and coach Bruce Boudreau won’t hesitate to pull the trigger on a goaltender switch at any point in the series.

Why bet the Red Wings: The Wings have already been playing playoff-style hockey down the stretch in order to qualify for their 22nd consecutive postseason. Goaltender Jimmy Howard has posted two shutouts during Detroit’s current four-game win streak.

Series prices: Sharks +110, Canucks -140

Why bet the Canucks: When these squads last squared off in a playoff series two years ago during Vancouver's run to the Stanley Cup final, the Sharks had a significantly higher physical component going for them, with the likes of Ryane Clowe, Douglas Murray and Jamie McGinn. Vancouver has struggled against physical opponents at times throughout the regular season, but shouldn't be pushed around by San Jose. The Canucks have been cup contenders for the past few seasons, and boast a roster loaded with plenty of playoff experience.

Why bet the Sharks: The Sharks have one distinct advantage over the Canucks - a goaltender that boasts a Stanley Cup ring. Antti Niemi has been carrying the team all season long and has been there and done that in the NHL postseason. The Sharks also have an experienced core of forwards such as Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, and Joe Pavelski that will be out to change their reputations as chokers in the postseason.

Series prices: Kings -120, Blues -110

Why bet the Blues: The Blues fought hard down the stretch and won 12 of their final 15 contests to earn home-ice in the first round. They also have a hot goalie. Brian Elliott has returned to form, allowing just 16 goals in April on 305 shots (.948 save percentage). He also led the NHL in April with 11 wins and a 1.28 goals-against average.

Why bet the Kings: The Kings are the defending Stanley Cup champs. Los Angeles made history as the No. 8 seed last season and not having home-ice in any of the four rounds didn’t matter. The Kings will also welcome back captain Dustin Brown for Game 1 after he served a two-game suspension for an elbow on Minnesota’s Jason Pominville.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-29-13 11:36 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Kings (0-0) at Blues (0-0)

Date: April 30, 2013 8:00 PM EDT

ST. LOUIS (AP) - This time around, the St. Louis Blues are determined not to be a mere speed bump for the Los Angeles Kings.

Coach Ken Hitchcock likes his team's chances of making a deep playoff run, but scoffed away a suggestion that the Blues and Kings have a lot of similarities. After sweeping the Blues in the second round last spring en route to the franchise's first Stanley Cup, Los Angeles won all three games this season, too, and have taken eight in a row overall.

``Look, we haven't beaten them in two years,' Hitchcock said Monday. ``I think we're really hungry for this series. It's a matchup that quite frankly if we're going to go far, the confidence if we could win this series would be astronomical.'

The Blues have won 12 of their last 15 with a mix of stingy goaltending, tight checking and just enough offense. They won their last six at home to claim the fourth seed in the Western Conference after finishing one point ahead of the Kings.

Forward T.J Oshie, expected back from ankle surgery for Game 1 Tuesday night, believes the key to the series is ``probably not let them push us around and intimidate us.'

``I think last year, not everyone, but we had some guys that just didn't really want to go into the hard areas,' Oshie said. ``They're going to come hard and we're going to do the same.'

Hitchcock said the Kings' pace was a bigger factor last spring and added ``physical play is the most over-rated thing in playoffs.'

Yet the Kings didn't downplay expectations it'll be a physical series.

``Big bodies on each side, I don't anticipate anything else,' forward Justin Williams said. ``If you're a slow team, you're going to get hit.

``If you skate the puck quick, get out of your zone quick, you're not going to be hit.'

The Kings were the first No. 8 seed to win the Cup last year, bumping off the No. 2-seeded Blues, and begin their bid for a repeat as a well-respected No. 5.

``Los Angeles is the only team that has the knowledge of what it takes to win,' Hitchcock said. ``Everybody else can talk about it, but they have it, they know how deep you have to go.'

Captain Dustin Brown, who scored twice in the Kings' clinching victory over St. Louis last season, said it's important to remember how grueling the playoffs can be.

``We went through it just last year,' Brown said. ``But sometimes you've got to really focus on how hard it is, how much work you have to put in to be successful this time of the year. Shift by shift, literally taking it one period at a time.'

Part of that mind-set means not taking their recent dominance in the series for granted. The Blues made significant moves on defense for the stretch and after the final meeting against the Kings, picking up Jay Bouwmeester and Jordan Leopold.

Jeff Carter had 26 goals and Anze Kopitar had a team-leading 42 points for the Kings.

``The playoffs are about players stepping up,' Kings coach Darryl Sutter said. ``Experience has got to help. It's not necessarily winning, it's understanding how long the haul is. We didn't play St. Louis until the second round last year, so St. Louis knows how to win, too.

The goalies figure to be in the spotlight, especially with neither team generating much offense. The Kings totaled two or fewer goals in five of their last seven and the Blues scored two or fewer goals in eight consecutive games this month.

Jonathan Quick was ready for it last year, allowing five goals against the Blues and taking the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoffs MVP with a 1.41 goals-against average.

Brian Elliott gets the Game 1 start for St. Louis ahead of Jaroslav Halak, recovered from a groin injury, off a spectacular rebound from early-season difficulties that included a benching and conditioning stint in the minors. He won nine games in April with three straight shutouts on the road.

Hitchcock said there was a good reason Elliott struggled in the Kings series last year. He was treated for an inner-ear infection throughout the series, and Hitchcock said ``I wasn't in the medical thing, all I knew was he had no balance.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-30-13 01:55 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Tuesday, April 30

Minnesota - 8:00 PM ET Chicago -235 500

Chicago - Under 5 500

Los Angeles - 8:00 PM ET Los Angeles +107 500 POD # 2

St. Louis - Under 5 500

Detroit - 10:30 PM ET Detroit +125 500 POD # 1

Anaheim - Over 5 500

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-30-13 10:11 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL

Tuesday, April 30

NHL Eastern Conference playoff preview: Round 1

The Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins were the runaway favorites to come out of the East and compete for Lord Stanley's mug a little over a month ago, but the balance of power evened out a bit in the NHL’s Eastern Conference during the final month of the shortened campaign.

Here's our Eastern Conference playoff preview:

No. 1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. No. 8 New York Islanders

Season series: Penguins won 4-1 SU, 2-2-1 over/under

Season prices: Penguins -600, Islanders +400

Why bet the Penguins: The Penguins have been the Stanley Cup favorites since odds were released and appear to be the beasts in the East. Even injuries to key cogs Evgeni Malkin, James Neal and captain Sidney Crosby didn’t slow the Pittsburgh attack down the stretch. The Pens have taken the last four meetings with the Islanders by a combined score of 16-5 and Crosby is on the mend.

Why bet the Islanders: The Islanders are huge underdogs in the series and have nothing to lose. John Tavares will be considered for the Hart Trophy after accumulating 47 points in 48 games and they can lean on the playoff experience of veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

No. 2 Montreal Canadiens vs. No. 7 Ottawa Senators

Season series: Tied 2-2 SU, 2-2 over/under

Season prices: Canadiens -200, Senators +160

Why bet the Canadiens: The Canadiens can rely on three lines to produce offense. Eight of Montreal’s nine forwards that make up those lines tallied at least 25 points during the regular season. The Habs will also feel like they have home advantage in every game of the series, as their raucous supporters will surely make the short trip to Ottawa to drown out Ottawa’s notoriously weak fan base.

Why bet the Senators: Craig Anderson. The Ottawa netminder led the league with a 1.69 GAA and .941 save percentage. Also, the return of reigning Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson (Achilles) to the lineup has given the squad a huge morale boost heading into the playoffs.

No. 3 Washington Capitals vs. No. 6 New York Rangers

Season series: Tied 1-1 SU , 0-1-1 over/under

Season prices: Capitals -115, Rangers -115

Why bet the Capitals: The Caps aren’t getting much respect for prevailing out of the weak Southeast Division, but that could work to their advantage. Washington has failed miserably in past seasons in the role of the favorite and has been building some serious momentum down the stretch. The Capitals picked up wins in 11 of their final 13 games and Alex Ovechkin seems to have his head back in the game after a slow start.

Why bet the Rangers: The Rangers also thrived down the stretch, snatching wins in 10 of their final 14 contests (10-3-1). New York has a distinct advantage in goal with Henrik Lundqvist, who finished the season with a 2.05 GAA and .926 save percentage. These squads played an unforgettable second-round series in last year’s playoffs where every game but the first was decided by a single goal.

No. 4 Boston Bruins vs. No. 5 Toronto Maple Leafs

Season series: Bruins won 3-1 SU, 1-2-1 over/under

Season prices: Bruins -280, Maple Leafs +210

Why bet the Bruins: The Bruins took all six meetings with Toronto last season, outscoring the Leafs 36-10. And Boston took three of four from Toronto this year. The Bruins struggled down the stretch, but this physical team is built for the playoffs and has the ability to wear down any opponent.

Why bet the Maple Leafs: The Bruins are losers of seven of their last nine and have had very little rest down the stretch. Sunday’s finale with the Senators was their sixth game in eight days, which could work to the Maple Leafs' advantage. Toronto is playoff-bound for the first time since 2004 and has nearly 10 years’ worth of frustrations to take out on its opponents.

NHL

Tuesday, April 30

NHL

Tuesday, April 30

NHL futures review: Pens enter playoffs as slight faves

Oddsmakers set their NHL futures odds way back in January and have now set lines for the final 16 teams vying for Lord Stanley’s mug.

Let’s take a look at look at some of the NHL’s biggest futures adjustments from the start of the season:

Pittsburgh Penguins – Opened: 8/1, Now: 3/1

The Penguins were temporarily bumped as the Stanley Cup frontrunners by the Chicago Blackhawks early in the season, but took back their position on top halfway through the campaign and haven’t looked back.

Chicago Blackhawks – Opened: 10/1, Now: 7/2

The Blackhawks’ ridiculous 24-game points streak to begin the shortened campaign put their futures odds on the move. The Presidents’ Trophy winners closed the campaign with wins in nine of their final 12 contests and are the clear-cut favorites to represent the West in the Stanley Cup Final.

Montreal Canadiens – Opened: 40/1, Now: 8/1

Oddsmakers had the Habs pegged as a bubble team to make the playoffs in January and certainly didn’t consider them Stanley Cup contenders. Just over three months later, Montreal has a Northeast Division title under its belt and will compete in the playoffs as the No. 2 seed in the East.

Anaheim Ducks – Opened: 30/1, Now: 10/1

The Ducks found a gem in Viktor Fasth and now have another option in goal besides Jonas Hiller. The goaltending duo helped Anaheim coast to a Pacific Division title, contrary to what oddsmakers projected.

New York Islanders – Opened: 100/1, Now: 50/1

The Islanders showed signs at the end of the last season that they were ready to compete for a playoff spot, but that didn’t stop oddsmakers from opening them at 100/1 to win it all. Their odds would be much better if they didn’t draw the heavily-favored Penguins in the first round.

NHL

Tuesday, April 30

Blackhawks' Bolland, Emery out for Game 1

Chicago Blackhawks forward Dave Bolland and goaltender Ray Emery will not suit up against the Minnesota Wild in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series Tuesday.

Both players are suffering from lower-body injuries and are considered day-to-day, according to Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville.

Bolland, who is a key two-way forward for the Hawks, has missed three consecutive games since sustaining the injury against the Vancouver Canucks on April 22. He has seven goals and seven helpers in 35 contests.

Emery has missed two straight games and Quenneville has announced that Henrik Karlsson will serve as backup to first-string goaltender Corey Crawford for Game 1. Emery has a 17-1-0 record with a 1.94 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage this campaign.

The Hawks opened as high as -250 favorites on the moneyline at some books and that number has been bet down to -220 as of Monday evening.

The total is set at 5.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 04-30-13 10:37 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Maple Leafs (0-0) at Bruins (0-0)

Date: May 01, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

BOSTON (AP) - Forget about the way the Bruins and Maple Leafs stumbled into the playoffs. Pay no attention to how Boston has dominated Toronto in recent seasons.

That's what both teams will be trying to do when they meet in the playoffs Wednesday night for the first time since 1974.

``If things would've been going all our way, we would've been downplaying it the same way,' Bruins center Patrice Bergeron said Tuesday.

The Bruins missed a chance to finish second in the Eastern Conference by losing seven of their last nine games. The Maple Leafs dropped four of their last six regular-season games and nine of 10 to Boston over the past two seasons. They've also lost 11 of their last 13 at TD Garden.

``I'd expect we're going to get a Boston Bruins team that's different than the last two weeks of their season and I'd expect we're going to get a higher brand of hockey from our club also,' Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said.

Both teams are likely to get key scorers back from upper-body injuries - Nathan Horton for Boston and Tyler Bozak for Toronto. Horton missed five games and Bozak sat out two.

``I think we're playing a little bit better. We're just not scoring,' Horton said. ``We get our chances but we didn't put the teams away and we just gave them a chance to stick around. That's how they come back and that's in the past now. We don't want to think of that.'

The Bruins' 131 goals were eighth in the conference and they scored only 18 in their last nine games. The Leafs were fifth with 145 goals and now expect Bozak, who had 12 goals and 16 assists this season, to be ready for the opener of Toronto's first playoff series in nine years.

``When you have a player that takes all the important faceoffs for you, that's the first place you miss him,' Carlyle said. ``Bozie is a real smart hockey player. He knows where to be on the ice. The puck kind of follows him around and his game is one where he does a lot of the little things that aren't noticed, but you notice them when he's not there.'

One focal point will be former Bruins player Phil Kessel and Boston's Tyler Seguin, two top young forwards. Boston traded Kessel to Toronto in September 2009 for three draft choices, two of whom turned out to be first-rounders: Seguin and rookie defenseman Dougie Hamilton. Both have played key roles this season.

In 16 games against Toronto, Seguin has 10 goals and six assists. Kessel has fared much worse against Boston with three goals and six assists in 22 games - and he's had to endure the jeers of Bruins fans.

``They are obviously going to be loud, probably going to be giving it to Phil a little bit,' Bozak said. ``We're used to that when we go there, but it might be a little bit more upscale this time around.'

Kessel probably will have more problems with a Bruins defense that allowed just 109 goals, second fewest in the East.

But the Maple Leafs became a bit tougher themselves against opposing puck handlers as the season progressed.

``I think they've improved a lot really on their forecheck, on the way that they pressure,' Bergeron said. ``They really come hard, and they're in your face, and they're a pretty physical team. So we're expecting that.'

Boston missed a chance to be seeded second in the conference when it lost 4-2 to the Ottawa Senators in the regular-season finale Sunday. That allowed Montreal to take that spot while the Bruins slipped to fourth. The Maple Leafs earned the fifth seed.

``It doesn't matter if we finished first or eighth,' Boston goalie Tuukka Rask said. ``You make the playoffs, you've still got to start with a clean sheet. And I think nobody's even talked about the regular season anymore. We're focused on the playoffs.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-01-13 06:58 AM
Post A Reply

Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: