StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Cnotes MLB May's News-Notes-Trends & Best Bets !!
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Tigers (19-12) at Nationals (18-15)

Game: 3
Venue: Nationals Park
Date: May 09, 2013 4:05 PM EDT

Dan Haren, much like his Washington Nationals, has used a recent surge to bounce back from a less-than-ideal start.

Facing a Detroit Tigers team he's had plenty of success against lately could help Washington stay hot.

The Nationals seek a sixth victory in seven tries in the conclusion of a two-game interleague set with the Tigers on Thursday.

Washington (18-15), coming off having the NL's best record and an NL East title in 2012, dealt with its share of struggles early and carried a sub-.500 record into May.

The Nationals seem to have gotten on track, though, after winning four of five to end a recent road trip before beating Detroit 3-1 on Wednesday. Bryce Harper entered this short series 4 for 29 (.115) over his previous eight games, but his solo homer and sacrifice fly helped back another stellar performance from Jordan Zimmermann.

``We didn't get much off a hot pitcher even though I thought we had pretty good at_bats off him, to be honest with you.' Tiger manager Jim Leyland said.

Detroit's problems may continue against Haren, who has been solid over his last two starts after posting a 7.36 ERA through his first four.

Haren (3-3, 5.01 ERA) gave up two runs in six innings of a 6-3 win over Cincinnati on April 27 before allowing one run and four hits in eight frames of a 3-1 win at Atlanta last Thursday.

"I was trying to do too much (early in the season)," Haren told the team's official website. "I just backed off and pitched like myself (the last time out). I didn't pile up too many strikeouts, but I didn't have many two-strike counts."

Haren's teammates know he has plenty more solid performances in him, too.

"His last two starts have been good; that's what he's capable of doing," said outfielder Denard Span, who tripled Wednesday. "That's the three-time all-star Dan Haren right there."

The right-hander has pitched extremely well versus Detroit in recent years, going 3-0 with a 1.76 ERA in four starts since 2008 including a shutout and another complete game.

The Tigers (19-12) hope to have better luck against him this time around after falling for only the second time in 11 games Wednesday. Miguel Cabrera, just 3 for 16 lifetime off Haren, drove in their only run with a single in the third after they scored 37 runs in a four-game sweep at Houston in their previous series.

Detroit will look to bounce back Thursday as it sends Doug Fister to the mound.

Fister (4-0, 2.48) wasn't at his best Friday, giving up three runs - two earned - and a season-high nine hits while striking out four in six innings in the Tigers' 4-3 win over Houston.

It marked the first time since his first start April 5 that Fister failed to pitch at least seven full innings and strike out at least five. The right-hander, though, has a 2.13 ERA over his last 12 starts - including the postseason - completing at least six innings in 11 of them.

``He was good. Maybe not quite as sharp as he's been, but still good,' Leyland said. ``He kept us in the game and saved our bullpen.'

Fister has made one start versus Washington, allowing one run and three hits in eight innings of a 6-5 victory June 21, 2011, while with Seattle.

Believe in the 3 G's
GIRLS, GOLF,GAMBLING not in any particular order.

Old Post 05-09-13 02:46 PM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Royals (17-13) at Orioles (21-13)

Venue: Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Date: May 09, 2013 7:05 PM EDT

Jeremy Guthrie and the Baltimore Orioles are doing just fine without each other.

Guthrie lost 60 games over a four-year stretch with the Orioles before being traded to Colorado in February 2012 for pitchers Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom. Now he's back in Baltimore for the first time, poised to face his former team Thursday night as a member of the Kansas City Royals.

Revenge will not factor, simply because Guthrie harbors no resentment toward the Orioles.

"I'll just be excited to be on the mound here again," he said. "Great ballpark with great fans. To be able to compete against friends and former teammates, it will be fun."

The matchup holds plenty of intrigue, though, with Guthrie (4-0, 2.40 ERA) entering on a Royals-record unbeaten streak of 17 straight starts. He broke Paul Splittorff's 25-year-old club record with a four-hitter Saturday in a 2-0 win over the Chicago White Sox.

Guthrie, who has thrown 16 2-3 consecutive scoreless innings, is 9-0 with a 2.25 ERA during the streak since losing to Texas on Aug. 3. The run began about three weeks after he was acquired from the Rockies, with whom he went 3-9 with a 6.35 ERA.

"He's far better than I ever imagined he was," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "He still has a great fastball at 93 mph, he can sink it, he can cut it. I just think he's comfortable in his surroundings."

Guthrie loved being part of the Orioles, too, but appears to have finally reached his full potential at age 34.

"My time in Baltimore was a huge plus, just wonderful," he said. "I was able to learn and got a chance to start in the major leagues, something I didn't get in Cleveland. So, I have very fond memories of all the time here. I gave everything I had and enjoyed every bit of it."

After flopping in Colorado, Guthrie found happiness in Kansas City. He signed a three-year, $25 million contract with the Royals in November.

"It was a place I wanted to go," he said. "They gave me a very fair offer, so for me it was just a perfect scenario."

Much has changed for Guthrie and the Orioles since that trade - all of it good.

With Hammel becoming the staff ace, Baltimore (21-13) ended a 14-year playoff drought last season and is currently tied for the AL's best record.

"Jeremy did some good things for us here in Baltimore, and we were able to acquire some people that could help us through his abilities," manager Buck Showalter said. "He's having a solid year, he's coming off a great start, so I wish him well - after he leaves here."

Showalter will counter with Freddy Garcia (0-0, 2.70), coming off an impressive debut following a month in the minors after Baltimore signed him March 29. The 36-year-old right-hander gave up two runs and three hits in 6 2-3 innings of a 5-4 road win over the Los Angeles Angels on Saturday.

Garcia faced Kansas City twice in relief last season while with the Yankees, giving up two runs in 4 1-3 innings. The Royals are the only team to which he's lost more than eight times, going 10-13 with a 5.69 ERA in 30 games.

The Orioles are seeking a three-game sweep of Kansas City and riding a season-best four-game winning streak after a 5-3 victory Wednesday.

Jim Johnson converted his 34th straight save opportunity to tie Randy Myers' club record from 1997, and J.J. Hardy homered for the third time in four games. Manny Machado added an RBI single and is hitting .404 over his last 11 games, driving in eight runs and scoring 12.

Alex Gordon has homered in back-to-back games for the Royals (17-13), but they've lost three straight while getting held to seven runs.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 02:47 PM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Twins (15-15) at Red Sox (21-13)

Game: 4
Venue: Fenway Park
Date: May 09, 2013 7:10 PM EDT

The Boston Red Sox are still owners of the AL's best record, but they have some company thanks to a rough stretch - particularly from the rotation.

Dustin Pedroia will try to help get the Red Sox turned around by continuing his superb production at Fenway Park in the finale of a four-game series with the Minnesota Twins.

Boston (21-13) has dropped five of six thanks largely to the rotation's 7.98 ERA. The starters had a 3.00 ERA during a 7-1 run prior to this slump.

Despite the recent struggles, the Red Sox still have the best record in the AL, but they're now sharing that status with Baltimore and Texas.

Another poor start doomed Boston on Wednesday in a 15-8 loss, with rookie Allen Webster surrendering eight of the 11 runs that Minnesota (15-15) scored in the first two innings.

"A tough night from the mound. A number of pitches found their way to the middle of the plate," said manager John Farrell, whose Red Sox allowed 11 runs while splitting the previous two games with the Twins.

While Farrell hopes the pitchers can get untracked, Pedroia looks to continue his torrid hitting at home. The second baseman had his second three-hit game of the series Wednesday and is hitting .469 in his last eight at Fenway. He's batting .353 at home compared to .266 on the road.

The venue hasn't made a difference for Pedroia when facing the Twins. The three-time All-Star and 2008 AL MVP is a career .352 hitter against them, including five multihit efforts in 10 meetings since the start of last season.

The Red Sox are scheduled to turn to John Lackey (1-2, 3.52 ERA), who gave up a homer on his first pitch Saturday and allowed two more runs while issuing three walks in five innings of a 5-1 road loss to the Rangers.

The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.08 ERA over his last four starts against the Twins but hasn't faced them since 2010.

Minnesota is looking to build on its best offensive display of the season, getting 19 hits with six doubles and two homers. The 15 runs were its most at Fenway since getting 17 in a win May 25, 1965.

Justin Morneau, Trevor Plouffe and Pedro Florimon each had three RBIs while totaling seven hits - four for extra bases.

Morneau has a career .345 average against Boston - .455 with 10 RBIs over the past eight matchups. However, he's 8 for 33 with one homer versus Lackey.

Kevin Correia (3-2, 2.83) is expected to get the ball hoping to rebound from his worst start of the year.

The veteran right-hander allowed a season-high four runs and two homers in five innings of a 7-3 loss at Cleveland on Saturday. It was the first time this year he failed to complete at least seven innings, and it snapped a three-start winning streak during which he had a 1.64 ERA.

"I just didn't have command of my pitches like I did in my last couple starts," Correia told the team's official website. "I fell behind guys, and they took advantage."

His only meeting with the Red Sox was a scoreless ninth inning of relief with San Francisco at Fenway on June 16, 2007.

Shane Victorino is 6 for 14 against Correia and has five hits in this series, including two homers.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 02:49 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Pirates (18-15) at Mets (13-17)

Game: 1
Venue: Citi Field

While they're getting some solid performances on the mound, the Pittsburgh Pirates have been let down by a slumping offense.

The Pirates hope to shake off a disappointing homestand and get back on track at the plate Thursday night when they open a four-game set at Citi Field against a New York Mets team having its own problems offensively.

Following a promising 14-5 stretch in April, Pittsburgh (18-15) lost five of its last eight games.

Seattle ace Felix Hernandez added to the Pirates' offensive woes Wednesday, allowing one run in eight innings in a 2-1 victory that earned the Mariners a two-game split.

Starling Marte had two hits and Andrew McCutchen had an RBI single, but Pittsburgh went 1 for 6 with runners in scoring position and is 4 for 38 in those situations over its last five games.

"It just seems that we've got to find a better answer," manager Clint Hurdle said. "Maybe it's our mindset but we're getting pitched tough. It's not like it's chopped liver we've been facing."

As their starters posted a 2.70 ERA on the 2-3 homestand, the Pirates provided them only 12 runs of support. They lost three of the final four games while managing no more than seven hits in any of them and drawing a combined five walks.

It's been a similar struggle for the Mets (13-17), who scored one run over six innings for starter Jeremy Hefner in a 6-3 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday.

New York has dropped eight of 11 while batting .193, including 72 strikeouts over the last seven.

"Sometimes it looks like we're pressing," manager Terry Collins told the league's official website. "Whether we are or not, again, it just looks like it. We've certainly got to relax and put better swings on the ball."

It might not get easier for Collins' club against Pittsburgh left-hander Jeff Locke in the opener. The Mets are hitting .205 with five homers and 20 RBIs in their last 13 games versus southpaws.

Locke (3-1, 3.21 ERA) had given the Pirates rotation a lift with 13 shutout innings in consecutive road starts, winning both, before allowing four runs over five innings in a 5-4 home loss to Washington on Saturday.

"Everything felt pretty good," said Locke, 3-0 with a 2.60 ERA in his last five starts. "I just need to be a little bit more efficient early in the count."

Locke was hit hard in his only career start at Citi Field, allowing five runs and nine hits over 3 2-3 innings in a 6-0 loss Sept. 26.

Ruben Tejada went 3 for 3 off Locke in that game, and David Wright singled against him to set a franchise record with his 1,419th career hit.

Wright is 0 for 5 with three strikeouts this week after homering in three straight games, but he hit .370 with two homers and nine RBIs in seven games against Pittsburgh last season. The Mets won both series between the teams.

Dillon Gee (2-4, 6.16) will face the Pirates for the first time since 2011 and has been dominant against them, going 2-0 with a 1.71 ERA in three starts.

Gee, though, enters Thursday with one of the highest ERAs in the majors. He's been tagged for eight runs and 16 hits in 11 innings over his last two starts.

The right-hander has a 2.50 ERA in three outings at Citi Field but has gone 1-2 while getting a combined two runs of support.

McCutchen is 1 for 9 against Gee but has been hot lately, batting .464 with two homers and five RBIs in his last seven games.

Marte is hitting .393 with four homers and eight RBIs over a seven-game hitting streak.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 02:52 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Blue Jays (13-22) at Rays (15-18)

Venue: Tropicana Field

It's been nearly 14 years since the previous season's Cy Young Award winners have started against each other, though they've hardly resembled the same pitchers this season.

R.A. Dickey will try to avoid losing a fourth straight start and lead the Toronto Blue Jays to a series win over the Tampa Bay Rays as he opposes the struggling David Price on Thursday night at Tropicana Field.

"Neither one of us are probably where we want to be at this part of the year," Dickey said. "I think he would say the same thing, but it's special anytime the reigning Cy Young Award winners face each other."

It hasn't happened since Atlanta's Tom Glavine faced Roger Clemens of the New York Yankees on July 15, 1999. The only other such occurrence was Aug. 28, 1989, when Frank Viola of the New York Mets opposed Orel Hershiser of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Both Dickey and Price won 20 games last season but have combined to go 3-8 with a 5.81 ERA this year.

Traded to Toronto (13-22) in December, Dickey (2-5, 5.36 ERA) is hoping to regain the form that helped him win the NL Cy Young Award with the Mets in 2012. The right-hander enters at risk of suffering his worst losing streak since early in the 2011 season.

Dickey lost his third consecutive start and was booed off the mound by the home crowd Saturday after allowing seven runs and a season-high three home runs in six innings of an 8-1 loss to Seattle.

"I did hear them, it was hard not to," said Dickey, who was pitching on an extra day of rest because of lingering neck and back soreness. "They were pretty animated. You can't blame them."

The knuckleballer outpitched Price in his last start against the Rays, allowing only an infield single as he went the distance in a 9-1 victory at Tropicana Field on June 13. That win saw Dickey run his scoreless innings streak to 32 2-3 to break the Mets' record.

Price was tagged for seven runs and nine hits that night in one of his worst efforts of his AL Cy Young Award season, but he's already had a few performances like that in 2013.

The worst came Saturday as he gave up a career-high nine earned runs and 11 hits in 6 2-3 innings of a 9-3 loss at Colorado.

The Rays (15-18) have dropped six of his first seven starts. Price (1-3, 6.25) has allowed a .302 batting average and eight home runs after limiting opponents to .226 and 16 homers last season.

"He's just been such a dominant pitcher over the years it's definitely weird to see that he's struggling so much," outfielder Matt Joyce said. "I think for him, once he gets that confidence or feeling that he needs or is looking for, he's going to take off."

Price is 11-2 with a 1.83 ERA in his past 13 starts against the Blue Jays, though he's lost the last two at home.

Jose Bautista is 11 for 31 (.355) with four homers against Price but enters this matchup homerless in 10 games since April 17. Melky Cabrera is 4 for 9 off Price and has been on a tear, going 10 for 18 with four RBIs over the last four games.

Bautista went hitless Wednesday as the Blue Jays had a season-high three-game winning streak snapped with a 10-4 loss. Toronto, which came from behind to beat the Rays on Monday and Tuesday, is looking to win a series at Tropicana Field for the first time since winning two of three April 6-8, 2007.

Evan Longoria is 6 for 12 with two homers and seven RBIs in this series and batting .500 with 13 RBIs in his last seven versus Toronto.

Kelly Johnson, 3 for 4 with a homer on Wednesday, is 15 for 35 with 12 RBIs over his last nine games.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 02:54 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Angels (11-22) at Astros (10-24)

Venue: Minute Maid Park
Date: May 09, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

Many figured the rebuilding Houston Astros would experience their share of problems as they made the transition to the AL West, but few could've thought the talent-rich Los Angeles Angels would endure similar struggles.

Lucas Harrell looks to pitch Houston to a three-game sweep of disappointing Los Angeles, which hopes to get another solid performance from Jason Vargas on Thursday night at Minute Maid Park.

It comes as little surprise the inexperienced Astros (10-24) possess the league's worst record during their first AL season, but their back-to-back wins over the struggling Angels (11-22) have them close to climbing out of the division cellar.

Chris Carter hit a three-run homer to help Houston earn a 7-6 victory in Tuesday's series opener, then he hit a solo shot in the fifth inning Wednesday in a 3-1 win. He's hitting .353 with five homers in his last 10 games versus the Angels.

Houston has won three of five meetings with Los Angeles and will look to earn the sweep with help from Harrell (3-3, 5.03 ERA), who hopes to bounce back from a dismal outing.

Harrell had been one of the few bright spots for the Astros winning his previous three starts while posting a 1.89 ERA, but his hot stretch ended when he gave up eight runs and 10 hits in 4 1-3 innings of a 17-2 loss to Detroit on Saturday.

It marked the second time he's allowed eight runs this season, but the right-hander hasn't given up more than two in any of his other five outings.

``I'm really not all that mad about it,' Harrell said after that contest. ``I made some good, quality pitches.'

Harrell was in line for the victory when he left after giving up one run and striking out five in 5 2-3 innings against the Angels on April 13, but the Houston bullpen allowed four runs over the final two frames in a 5-4 loss.

Josh Hamilton homered off Harrell in that contest, did so again the following day and hit another long ball Wednesday. Still, after signing a five-year, $125 million contract in the offseason to join a lineup featuring Albert Pujols, Mark Trumbo and 2012 AL rookie of the year Mike Trout, Hamilton is hitting just .205. Each of his three homers and half of his 10 RBIs have come versus the Astros.

Los Angeles has lost four straight and is 4-13 on the road.

``When we're not doing enough offensively, it comes down to getting breaks, and they haven't been falling our way,' manager Mike Scioscia said. ``You have to create your own breaks, your own momentum and your own margin of error, and that all comes on doing things on a more consistent basis.'

The Angels will look to get back on track with help from Vargas, who has bounced back from a rough start to post a 1.88 ERA over his last three outings.

Vargas (1-3, 3.72) has tossed back-to-back complete games including the third shutout of his career Friday, giving up three hits in a 4-0 win over Baltimore.

"There's no doubt that he's throwing more strikes," Scioscia told the team's official website. "I think he's not letting counts get as deep, and when he has a chance to put hitters away, he's making a pitch."

The left-hander has made only one career start versus Houston, giving up three runs in five innings of a 4-1 loss as a rookie with Marlins on Aug. 15, 2005. Vargas, though, has had plenty of success against Carter (0 for 10, five strikeouts) and Carlos Pena (1 for 11).

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 02:56 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Phillies (16-19) at Diamondbacks (19-15)

Venue: Chase Field
Date: May 09, 2013 9:40 PM EDT

Patrick Corbin is among the best pitchers in the NL, a status Cole Hamels is trying to re-establish.

The Arizona Diamondbacks will try to win for the seventh straight time with Corbin on the mound Thursday night when they face Hamels and the visiting Philadelphia Phillies in the opener of this four-game set.

Corbin (4-0, 1.80 ERA) is among the league leaders in wins and ERA after going 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA and one save in 22 games - 17 starts - as a rookie last year.

"Corbin could be easily 6-0 for us," manager Kirk Gibson said.

The left-hander was spotted a six-run lead in the second inning Saturday, and cruised through seven while yielding one run and five hits with seven strikeouts to win 8-1 at San Diego.

"I just want to keep this up," Corbin told the team's official website. "I know I've got a lot of starts left, and that's one thing I don't want to fatigue or anything like that. So I just want to keep doing what I've been doing."

Hamels (1-4, 4.34), a three-time All-Star and 2008 World Series MVP, may feel the same way after compiling a 2.31 ERA and holding opponents to .171 average over his last five starts. However, he has just a 1-2 record to show for it since he's been backed by an average of 2.1 runs.

Still, the left-hander's stretch is an impressive turnaround after he lost his first two starts while getting tagged for 13 runs and four homers in 10 2-3 innings.

He did his part again Saturday, when the only runs he allowed in eight innings came on a pair of solo homers, while the Phillies were one-hit in a 2-0 loss to Miami.

"I don't think it's anything I haven't already learned," Hamels told the team's official website. "I've pitched a few years here in the big leagues and had some instances where I didn't get the runs. You have to keep playing the game, because it can definitely turn around."

Perhaps a meeting with the Diamondbacks (19-15) can help since the Phillies (16-19) have won six of the last eight matchups, hitting .309 while averaging 5.4 runs.

Hamels is 4-1 with a 3.38 ERA in five starts in Phoenix.

Philadelphia, though, has struggled to find consistency, and enters this series after falling 4-3 in 10 innings at San Francisco on Wednesday, falling short of a three-game sweep.

"We have core guys on this team who know to win. We'll survive," manager Charlie Manuel said. "Others can think what they want, it's what we believe."

The Diamondbacks won three straight and four of the final five games on a six-game trip, including Wednesday's 3-2 victory over the Dodgers. Paul Goldschmidt provided the go-ahead homer in all three games during a sweep of Los Angeles, hitting a pair in the finale.

Goldschmidt finished the series 7 for 13 with four homers and nine RBIs, and he's hitting .385 with seven home runs and 22 RBIs on the road. The first baseman hasn't been nearly that effective at home, though, batting .250 with two homers and eight RBIs.

That difference has been evident over eight career meetings with the Phillies.

Goldschmidt is 0 for 7 with three strikeouts in two home matchups, while going 5 for 17 with three homers and five RBIs in Philadelphia.

He's 0 for 3 versus Hamels.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 02:58 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Braves (20-13) at Giants (20-14)

Venue: AT&T Park
Date: May 09, 2013 10:15 PM EDT

The Atlanta Braves appear to have gotten their offense back on track.

That certainly doesn't bode well for San Francisco Giants right-hander Ryan Vogelsong.

The Braves will try to keep swinging the bats well and notch their fourth win in five games Thursday night when they open a four-game series in San Francisco.

Atlanta (20-13) became the first visiting team to win a series in Cincinnati this season with a 7-2 victory Wednesday behind two solo homers by Dan Uggla and a grand slam by Juan Francisco.

The NL East-leading Braves rebounded from a tough defeat Tuesday when the Reds hit a pair of two-out homers in the ninth inning off closer Craig Kimbrel for a 5-4 victory.

"A good win after what happened last night," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "Good resilience with this club."

Gonzalez's club, leading the majors with 47 homers, has also shown some resiliency with the bats lately.

The Braves have hit .288 with eight homers in the last five games while scoring 32 runs. They averaged 2.7 runs in the previous seven contests, batting .201 with four homers.

Andrelton Simmons, who went 4 for 5 on Wednesday, has played a key role in the surge. The shortstop is 11 for 22 with two homers, four doubles and six RBIs in the last five games.

Uggla has hit safely in six straight, batting .375, following a 2-for-21 slump. Freddie Freeman has six RBIs over the last four games while going 7 for 17.

Freeman has homered twice in seven at_bats against Vogelsong (1-2, 7.20 ERA), who has struggled to find any kind of rhythm.

The right-hander has allowed 46 hits, including eight homers, in 35 innings and five runs or more in four of six starts. His ERA and opponent batting average (.319) are among the worst in the majors.

Vogelsong, though, pitched well versus the Braves last year in his only two career starts against them, going 1-0 with a 2.92 ERA. Now he'll try to earn his first win since April 11 as the Giants (20-14) look for their fifth win in seven games on a 10-game homestand.

San Francisco salvaged the finale of a three-game set against Philadelphia on Wednesday when Andres Torres singled home Buster Posey with two outs in the 10th inning in a 4-3 victory.

"I think we've got a group of guys that's going to continue to scrap and go out there and put pressure on the other team," Posey said following the team's fifth walkoff win.

Posey, whose pinch-hit single started the 10th, is batting .429 over a seven-game hitting streak against the Braves.

Marco Scutaro went 3 for 5 and has hit .484 over his last eight games overall.

The Giants hope to jump on Atlanta's Julio Teheran (1-0, 5.08), who makes his first start since April 29 after having his last scheduled turn postponed by rain.

While opponents are hitting .333 against the right-hander, he's shown a proficiency for working his way out of jams in his last two starts. Teheran yielded 18 hits but only three runs over 12 1-3 innings in those games, and he didn't give up a home run during that span after allowing five in his first three starts.

The Braves have won each of Teheran's five outings, though he's given them just one quality start.

Atlanta has won five of seven at AT&T Park.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 03:00 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB
Dunkel

Toronto at Tampa Bay
The Blue Jays look to take advantage of a Tampa Bay team that is 1-5 in David Price's last 6 starts as a home favorite. Toronto is the pick (+135) according to Dunkel, which has the Blue Jays favored by 1. Dunkel Pick: Toronto (+135). Here are all of today's picks.

THURSDAY, MAY 9

Game 901-902: Pittsburgh at NY Mets (7:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Pittsburgh (Locke) 15.133; NY Mets (Gee) 13.738
Dunkel Line: Pittsburgh by 1 1/2; 7
Vegas Line: NY Mets (-115); 7 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Pittsburgh (-105); Under

Game 903-904: Philadelphia at Arizona (9:40 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Philadelphia (Hamels) 15.281; Arizona (Corbin) 16.368
Dunkel Line: Arizona by 1; 7
Vegas Line: Arizona (-120); 8
Dunkel Pick: Arizona (-120); Under

Game 905-906: Atlanta at San Francisco (10:15 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Atlanta (Teheran) 15.720; San Francisco (Vogelsong) 14.807
Dunkel Line: Atlanta by 1; 8
Vegas Line: San Francisco (-125); 7 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Atlanta (+105); Over

Game 907-908: Oakland at Cleveland (12:05 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Oakland (Colon) 15.693; Cleveland (Kazmir) 15.208
Dunkel Line: Oakland by 1/2; 8
Vegas Line: Oakland (-125); 8 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Oakland (-125); Under

Game 909-910: Kansas City at Baltimore (7:05 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Kansas City (Guthrie) 16.674; Baltimore (Garcia) 15.522
Dunkel Line: Kansas City by 1; 7
Vegas Line: No Line
Dunkel Pick: N/A

Game 911-912: Minnesota at Boston (7:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Minnesota (Correia) 14.916; Boston (Lackey) 15.200
Dunkel Line: Boston by 1/2; 10
Vegas Line: Boston (-170); 9 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Boston (-170); Over

Game 913-914: Toronto at Tampa Bay (7:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Toronto (Dickey) 15.710; Tampa Bay (Price) 14.845
Dunkel Line: Toronto by 1; 8
Vegas Line: Tampa Bay (-155); 7
Dunkel Pick: Toronto (+135); Over

Game 915-916: LA Angels at Houston (8:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: LA Angels (Vargas) 14.087; Houston (Harrell) 13.124
Dunkel Line: LA Angels by 1; 8
Vegas Line: LA Angels (-160); 9
Dunkel Pick: LA Angels (-160); Under

Game 917-918: NY Yankees at Colorado (3:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: NY Yankees (Sabathia) 16.213; Colorado (Francis) 15.195
Dunkel Line: NY Yankees by 1; 8 1/2
Vegas Line: NY Yankees (-135); 9 1/2
Dunkel Pick: NY Yankees (-135); Under

Game 919-920: Detroit at Washington (4:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Detroit (Fister) 16.787; Washington (Haren) 17.702
Dunkel Line: Washington by 1; 7
Vegas Line: Detroit (-135); 7 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Washington (+115); Under

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 03:27 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB

Thursday, May 9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12:05 PM
OAKLAND vs. CLEVELAND
The total has gone UNDER in 12 of Oakland's last 15 games when playing on the road against Cleveland
Oakland is 8-3 SU in its last 11 games when playing Cleveland
Cleveland is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games at home
Cleveland is 9-1 SU in its last 10 games

3:10 PM
NY YANKEES vs. COLORADO
NY Yankees are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games on the road
NY Yankees are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against Colorado
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Colorado's last 8 games when playing NY Yankees
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Colorado's last 8 games

4:05 PM
DETROIT vs. WASHINGTON
Detroit is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Washington
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Detroit's last 7 games when playing Washington
The total has gone OVER in 6 of Washington's last 7 games when playing Detroit
Washington is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home

7:05 PM
KANSAS CITY vs. BALTIMORE
Kansas City is 8-15 SU in its last 23 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Kansas City's last 5 games
Baltimore is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games at home
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Baltimore's last 5 games at home

7:10 PM
PITTSBURGH vs. NY METS
Pittsburgh is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
The total has gone OVER in 16 of Pittsburgh's last 22 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
The total has gone UNDER in 4 of NY Mets's last 6 games at home
NY Mets are 1-5 SU in its last 6 games at home

TORONTO vs. TAMPA BAY
Toronto is 2-6 SU in its last 8 games when playing Tampa Bay
Toronto is 2-9 SU in its last 11 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay is 16-7 SU in its last 23 games at home
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 5 games

MINNESOTA vs. BOSTON
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Minnesota's last 6 games on the road
Minnesota is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games when playing on the road against Boston
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Boston's last 7 games
Boston is 2-5 SU in its last 7 games when playing Minnesota

8:10 PM
LA ANGELS vs. HOUSTON
LA Angels are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games when playing on the road against Houston
LA Angels are 1-6 SU in their last 7 games on the road
Houston is 4-1 SU in their last 5 games when playing at home against LA Angels
The total has gone OVER in 7 of Houston's last 9 games

9:40 PM
PHILADELPHIA vs. ARIZONA
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Philadelphia's last 6 games when playing Arizona
Philadelphia is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing Arizona
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Arizona's last 5 games when playing at home against Philadelphia
Arizona is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

10:15 PM
ATLANTA vs. SAN FRANCISCO
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Atlanta's last 7 games when playing San Francisco
Atlanta is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games when playing on the road against San Francisco
The total has gone OVER in 5 of San Francisco's last 6 games when playing at home against Atlanta
The total has gone OVER in 5 of San Francisco's last 7 games when playing Atlanta

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 03:31 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MLB

Thursday, May 9

Three pitchers with good value on the road Thursday

It will be a moderately quiet day around the major leagues with just 10 games on the board Thursday. But it proves to be a day that features some starting pitchers who have had more success away from home than they have in the familiar confines of their own park.

Here is a look at pitchers with solid performances as the visitor and provide a valuable spot bet opportunity.

Jeff Locke, Pittsburgh Pirates (3-1, 3.21 ERA)

The disparity between Locke's success at home and away is eye-opening. The lefty is 1-0 with a 4.91 ERA at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, but is 2-1 with a vastly superior 1.89 ERA on the road. Locke has no earned runs in 13 innings over his last two road starts at Philadelphia and at St. Louis.

The Pirates travel to Citi Field to face the New York Mets Thursday.

Cole Hamels, Philadelphia Phillies (1-4, 4.34 ERA)

Hamels' early season struggles have been well documented, but he's put together some pretty good starts recently. The recent success includes a 5-1 win at Citi Field versus the Mets. Hamels is 1-1 with a respectable 3.71 ERA away from Philly. The southpaw is 0-3 and has a 4.71 ERA in Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park.

The Phillies open a four-game series with the Arizona Diamondbacks Thursday.

Bartolo Colon, Oakland Athletics (3-1, 3.62 ERA)

The veteran righty is having a fairly good year all around in 2013. But a closer look reveals much more solid numbers pitching on the road. Colon has a 2-1 record with a 2.95 ERA away from Oakland and a 1-0 record and 4.26 ERA while pitching on home turf. He has given up just six earned runs in 18 1/3 innings pitched in his three road starts this season.

The A's have an afternoon meeting at Progressive Field versus the Cleveland Indians Thursday.

-----------------------------------------------------------

MLB

Thursday, May 9

Wednesday's MLB weather watch: Hitter's wind expected in San Fran

A light schedule in the major leagues but there could be rain in Boston and Colorado Thursday. Here is a look at the notable weather around big league parks.

Pittsburgh Pirates vs. New York Mets (-105, 7.5)
Site: Citi Field

Forecasts are calling for a 20 percent chance of rain by game time.

Atlanta Braves vs. San Francisco Giants (-115, 7.5)
Site: AT&T Park

Wind will blow out to center field at 10 mph.

Minnesota Twins vs. Boston Red Sox (-155, 9)
Site: Fenway park

Forecasts are calling for a 50 percent chance of showers by game time.

New York Yankees vs. Colorado Rockies (+115, 9.5)
Site: Coors Field

Afternoon forecasts are calling for a 30 percent of showers.

Detroit Tigers vs. Washington Nationals (+120, 7.5)
Site: Nationals Park

Wind will blow out to right field at 11 mph.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 03:33 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

05/08/13 13-_13-_0 50.00% -_880 Detail
05/07/13 15-_12-_0 55.56% +_985 Detail
05/06/13 8-_10-_0 44.44% -_1870 Detail
05/05/13 15-_11-_1 57.69% +_1790 Detail
05/04/13 11-_16-_1 40.74% -_2375 Detail
05/03/13 12-_16-_0 42.86% -_2225 Detail
05/02/13 6-_7-_0 46.15% -_1090 Detail
05/01/13 19-_11-_0 63.33% +_4395 Detail

Totals 99-_96-_2 50.77% -_1270

Thursday, May 9

Game Score Status Pick Amount

Oakland - 12:05 PM ET Cleveland +108 500 POD # 1

Cleveland - Under 8.5 500 POD # 2

NY Yankees - 3:10 PM ET NY Yankees -120 500

Colorado - Over 9 500

Detroit - 4:05 PM ET Washington +112 500 POD # 3

Washington - Under 7.5 500

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-09-13 05:07 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

05/09/13 1-_1-_0 50.00% -_10 Detail
05/08/13 13-_13-_0 50.00% -_880 Detail
05/07/13 15-_12-_0 55.56% +_985 Detail
05/06/13 8-_10-_0 44.44% -_1870 Detail
05/05/13 15-_11-_1 57.69% +_1790 Detail
05/04/13 11-_16-_1 40.74% -_2375 Detail
05/03/13 12-_16-_0 42.86% -_2225 Detail
05/02/13 6-_7-_0 46.15% -_1090 Detail
05/01/13 19-_11-_0 63.33% +_4395 Detail

Totals 100-_97-_2 50.76% -_1280

Kansas City - 7:05 PM ET Baltimore -117 500
Baltimore - Over 8.5 500

Minnesota - 7:10 PM ET Minnesota +141 500 POD # 2
Boston - Under 9.5 500

Pittsburgh - 7:10 PM ET Pittsburgh +103 500 POD # 1
NY Mets - Over 7.5 500

Toronto - 7:10 PM ET Tampa Bay -146 500
Tampa Bay - Over 7.5 500

LA Angels - 8:10 PM ET Houston +136 500 POD # 3
Houston - Under 9 500

Philadelphia - 9:40 PM ET Arizona -118 500
Arizona - Under 8 500

Atlanta - 10:15 PM ET San Francisco -115 500
San Francisco - Over 7.5 500 POD # 4

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 12:53 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Cubs (13-21) at Nationals (19-15)

Venue: Nationals Park
Date: May 10, 2013 7:05 PM EDT

After a rough 2 1/2-week stretch, the Washington Nationals have picked up the pace thanks in part to a dominant bullpen.

The Chicago Cubs, meanwhile, can't seem to solve their late-inning woes.

The Nationals try to extend their season-high winning streak to five when they open a three-game set against the visiting Cubs on Friday night.

After dropping 12 of 18 from April 12-30, Washington (19-15) has gone 6-1 this month following a two-game sweep of Detroit.

Relievers Ryan Mattheus, Drew Storen and Rafael Soriano combined for three scoreless innings during Thursday's 5-4 victory.

The Nationals' bullpen has been superb in May, throwing 15 shutout innings while allowing just 12 baserunners and striking out 11. Soriano, among the major league leaders with 12 saves, hasn't allowed a run in his last 12 innings, and Craig Stammen has thrown 9 2-3 straight scoreless innings with 11 strikeouts.

The Cubs (13-21), in contrast, saw their relief corps let another win slip away Wednesday, allowing two runs over the last three innings of a 5-4 loss to St. Louis.

"We just can't seem to shut anybody down in the sixth, seventh inning," manager Dale Sveum said. "We're getting two strikes on people, we just can't make a pitch when we have to."

Sveum's bullpen has a 6.75 ERA over the past nine games, giving up 25 hits and 17 walks while hitting five batters in 22 2-3 innings.

The Cubs, losers in five of seven overall, dropped to 5-8 in one-run games.

"It kind of speaks well for our team," reliever James Russell told MLB's official website. "We don't give up, and we're always in the game. If breaks fall our way, then we win a lot more games than we have right now."

That poor relief cost Jeff Samardzija (1-4, 3.09 ERA) a win Saturday. The right-hander surrendered four hits over six innings and left with a 4-2 lead before Carlos Marmol and Hector Rondon allowed four runs in the eighth during a 6-4 loss to Cincinnati.

Since winning on opening day, Samardzija has gone 0-4 over six outings while receiving 12 runs of support. He went 1-1 with a 1.15 ERA over two starts versus Washington last season, striking out 16 over 15 2-3 innings.

Samardzija must face a resurgent Adam LaRoche, 9 for 17 while hitting safely in six straight games. LaRoche, who was batting .129 before that streak, recorded his 10th RBI on Wednesday after leading the team with 100 last year.

"I like where he's at," manager Davey Johnson said before Wednesday's game. "I think he's seeing the ball better. His timing's coming around."

The same might be said of Alfonso Soriano, who hit .367 during Chicago's recently completed 10-game homestand. However, he's in a 1-for-16 slump on the road, where the Cubs have a major league-worst .207 average - including .140 with runners in scoring position.

Soriano, who hit a career-high 46 home runs and stole 41 bases in his only season with the Nationals in 2006, has hit .214 in his last eight games at Washington as the Cubs have gone 1-7.

The Nationals give the ball to Ross Detwiler (1-3, 2.50), who has a 4.50 ERA in losing a career worst-tying three consecutive starts. The left-hander has received one run of support during that skid, which includes a 3-1 defeat at Pittsburgh last Friday as he allowed three runs on a pair of homers in five-plus innings.

"I've seen him sharper," Johnson said. "He had trouble getting the ball down."

Scott Hairston is 5 for 9 with a homer and three doubles off Detwiler. Darwin Barney and Anthony Rizzo, though, are a combined 0 for 8.

Rizzo had his second three-hit effort in three games Wednesday and is batting .429 over his last 13.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:35 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Blue Jays (13-23) at Red Sox (21-14)

Venue: Fenway Park
Date: May 10, 2013 7:10 PM EDT

Once owners of the best record in the majors, the slumping Boston Red Sox now find themselves out of the top spot in the AL East for the first time this season.

The Red Sox hope to get back on track and avoid their seventh loss in eight games Friday night when they open a three-game series against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park.

Boston (21-14) has one win since a major league-best 20-8 start, falling percentage points behind the New York Yankees in the division and into a tie with Baltimore for second.

The Red Sox made a pair of errors and allowed four unearned runs in a 5-3 loss Thursday as they dropped the last three of a four-game series to Minnesota. They've committed 11 errors over the last seven games after having that many in their first 28 contests.

"I don't think anybody is worried about the last seven games,' said Dustin Pedroia, who is batting .472 over his last nine home games. "It is the big leagues and everybody is good.'

Now Boston turns to scheduled starter Jon Lester (4-0, 3.30 ERA) as it tries to avoid a season-high fourth consecutive loss.

The left-hander hasn't been terribly sharp lately, allowing 12 runs and four homers over his last three starts after yielding five runs and no homers in his first four.

He was outstanding in a 13-0 win at Toronto on April 7, striking out six over seven innings of five-hit ball. He wasn't nearly as effective in the last meeting, leaving without a decision after giving up a season-high six runs over six innings in a 9-7 loss April 30.

Lester is 5-2 with a 4.64 ERA in nine home starts against the Blue Jays, and his last matchup was one he'd rather forget. He allowed 11 runs and four homers - both career highs - over four-plus innings in a 15-7 loss July 22.

He'll be up against an improving Toronto (13-23) offense that has batted .311 with nine homers and totaled 32 runs in the last five games after hitting .182 with one homer and three runs in the previous four contests - all losses.

Slugger Jose Bautista has faced Lester more than any other pitcher, going 11 for 47 (.234) with a home run and 11 strikeouts. He is batting .333 with four homers and nine RBIs in his last seven games at Fenway.

The Blue Jays had won a season-best three in a row before dropping the last two of a four-game series at Tampa Bay.

Brad Lincoln walked Luke Scott with the bases loaded and two outs in the 10th inning as the Rays escaped with a 5-4 win Thursday.

"We're not maybe playing the smartest baseball, but we're playing hard," Thursday's starter R.A. Dickey said. "We've got to tighten up some things probably. But we'll figure it out.'

With Brandon Morrow pushed back to Sunday due to a stiff neck, Toronto will send veteran right-hander Ramon Ortiz (0-0, 5.40) to the mound for his first start since July, 10, 2011.

A former 16-game winner for the Anaheim Angels in 2003, Ortiz spent last season with the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate before signing a minor league deal with the Blue Jays in December.

Ortiz is 1-2 with a 5.58 ERA in five career starts at Fenway, though his most recent came in 2003.

The Red Sox have won two of three from the Blue Jays in each of the first two series this season, but Toronto has won six straight in Boston.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:38 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Pirates (18-16) at Mets (14-17)

Game: 2
Venue: Citi Field

While the New York Mets managed to pull out a dramatic victory, their struggles against left-handers continued in the opener of this four-game series against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Citi Field.

That doesn't bode well for Friday night's matchup against southpaw Wandy Rodriguez, who has handled the Mets fairly easily lately.

Mike Baxter provided the heroics for the second time in three days, delivering a pinch-hit single in the ninth inning Thursday to lift the Mets to a 3-2 win.

Baxter also came through with a 10th-inning pinch-hit Tuesday to beat the Chicago White Sox.

"Very enjoyable. Good feeling,' said Baxter, who is 5 for 7 with a double, triple and two RBIs over his last four games.

The Mets, though, haven't had many timely hits lately, going 20 for 101 (.198) with runners in scoring position and batting .198 in their last 15 games overall.

They've been even more anemic against left-handers with a .192 average over their last nine games after going 5 for 24 with one extra-base hit against Pittsburgh's Jeff Locke and Tony Watson on Thursday.

That's a trend New York (14-17) hopes to reverse against Rodriguez (2-2, 4.02 ERA), who is 3-0 with a 2.00 ERA in his last four starts versus New York.

Rodriguez, though, will try to avoid dropping a third consecutive start and help prevent the Pirates (18-16) from their fifth loss in six games.

After going 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA and no homers allowed in his first three starts, Rodriguez has gone 0-2 with a 7.63 ERA and been taken deep six times in his past three outings.

The Mets counter with Shaun Marcum, who makes his third start after beginning the season on the DL with a neck injury and right biceps tendinitis.

Marcum (0-2, 7.20) allowed three runs and six hits over 4 1-3 innings of a 7-5 win at Atlanta on Friday, and hasn't made it out of the fifth inning in either of his first two starts.

The right-hander, however, has been tough on Pittsburgh with a 2-2 record and 2.65 ERA in six career starts.

Clutch hitting also has been a problem lately for the Pirates, who went 0 for 7 with runners in scoring position Thursday and are 4 for 45 in those situations over the last six games.

Andrew McCutchen is 2 for 14 against Marcum but has been hot lately, batting .469 with two homers and five RBIs in his last eight contests.

Pedro Alvarez, who is hitting .182 on the season, went 2 for 3 with his sixth home run Thursday after going hitless in his previous 14 at_bats.

"He continues to take better swings,' manager Clint Hurdle said. "We all believe it's just a matter of time, and obviously, he's waited longer than he wants to. But we feel it's coming, absolutely.'

Ruben Tejada, who had a seven-game home hitting streak snapped Thursday, is 5 for 7 with two doubles against Rodriguez.

While David Wright is off to a 1 for 8 start to the homestand, he's 7 for 24 with a homer and two doubles in this matchup.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:40 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Brewers (15-17) at Reds (19-16)

Venue: Great American Ball Park

Yovani Gallardo knows that even though it's early, the upcoming stretch of road games is a key one for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Jay Bruce finally homered again for the Cincinnati Reds, and facing Gallardo could help him get on track.

These NL Central rivals meet for the first time in 2013 on Friday night in Cincinnati, with NL batting leader Carlos Gomez of the Brewers looking to extend his career-high hitting streak to 15 games.

Milwaukee's 10-game trip consists of visits to the clubs ahead of it in the division standings - Cincinnati (19-16), Pittsburgh and St. Louis. The Brewers (15-17) capped a 3-6 homestand with a 4-1 defeat to Texas on Wednesday.

Milwaukee was swept by the Cardinals in four games last weekend.

"Definitely, this is an important road trip," Gallardo told the Brewers' official website. "Ten games, and they're all big, especially after losing those four against St. Louis here at home. Those next 10 games are going to allow us to make up some ground."

Gallardo (3-1, 4.50 ERA) has gone 3-0 with a 3.16 ERA over his last four starts after posting a 6.61 ERA in his first three. However, his three-start win streak ended when he allowed four runs over six innings of a 7-6 loss to St. Louis on Saturday.

The right-hander owns a 6.00 road ERA compared to a 3.90 home mark. He dropped both 2012 starts at Cincinnati with a 4.63 ERA while going 2-0 with a 2.08 ERA in two against the Reds at home last year.

"It's always fun when you see a team for the first time, like the Reds," Gallardo said. "They have a little different lineup than last year, so we'll see how it plays out."

One of the familiar faces to Gallardo is Bruce, 12 for 29 with two homers against him.

The Reds outfielder had a career-high 34 homers last year, with team bests of four homers and 13 RBIs against Milwaukee in 2012. Bruce, though, ended a 14-game home run drought with just his second of the season in a 7-2 loss to Atlanta on Wednesday.

Bruce's average has dropped steadily since he was batting .282 on April 22 - the date of his previous home run - as he's gone 12 for 60 (.200) in the last 15 games to leave him at .248.

The opposite has been true for Gomez, who's hitting .491 and has scored 13 runs during his 14-game run. The center fielder is batting .386 overall.

Gomez and the Brewers are 4-7 in games in which they face a left-handed starter heading into their first look at another one, Reds rookie Tony Cingrani (2-0, 2.63).

Cingrani gave up a season-high four runs over six innings of a 6-4 road victory over the Chicago Cubs on Saturday. He had a season-low five strikeouts after recording 28 in his first three 2013 starts.

The Reds went 9-6 against the Brewers last season and 7-2 at home.

Joey Votto's 10-game hitting streak ended Wednesday and he failed to reach base for the first time all season, going 0 for 4 with two strikeouts. Votto is a .320 hitter versus Gallardo.

Shin-Soo Choo is 1 for 2 against Gallardo, and the Reds newcomer is hitting .388 at home and .398 with all seven of his homers against right-handers this year.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:42 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Padres (16-18) at Rays (16-18)

Venue: Tropicana Field

If Edinson Volquez continues his turnaround, the San Diego Padres have a good chance to record their longest winning streak of the season.

Volquez seeks a fourth straight win and the Padres look for their fifth in a row Friday night in the opener of a three-game set against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field.

After a 5-15 start, San Diego (16-18) has turned things around by winning 11 of 14 heading into this series.

The pitching staff has been outstanding during the current four-game winning streak, allowing two runs and 21 hits in 36 innings.

Volquez kicked off that stretch Sunday, allowing one run and four hits in 6 2-3 innings of a 5-1 win over Arizona, before San Diego's other starters posted a 0.42 ERA in a three-game sweep of Miami this week.

"I thought the starting pitching has stepped up," manager Bud Black said. "They all pitched well. The pitching sort of set the tone and the defense was outstanding."

Now the Padres go for their longest win streak since a run of eight straight Aug. 19-27, and Volquez (3-3, 5.50 ERA) tries to win four consecutive outings for the first time in his nine-year career.

Since going 0-3 with an 11.68 ERA over his first three starts, Volquez is 3-0 with a 2.49 ERA over his last four.

"The last three starts have been much more strike-heavy with the secondary pitches," Black said. "The fastball command is improved, also. You put it all together, three wins and a lot of zeroes."

The right-hander won at Tropicana Field in his only career start against the Rays in 2011, giving up three runs and four hits over 6 1-3 innings in a 4-3 victory while with Cincinnati.

He'll try to slow down a Tampa Bay offense that has scored 72 runs over its last 11 games while batting .301 with 15 homers.

The Rays (16-18) salvaged a four-game split with Toronto when Luke Scott drew a bases-loaded walk with two outs in the 10th inning for a 5-4 victory Thursday.

"In that case, a walk is as good as a hit," said Scott, hitting .348 with two homers and seven RBIs in nine games since coming off the disabled list.

Evan Longoria has keyed Tampa Bay's offensive surge, batting .431 with 11 extra-base hits and 12 RBIs in his last 12 games. He's 9 for 18 with two homers and eight RBIs this week.

James Loney is also on a tear, batting .449 over his last 13 games. Loney, though, has only one hit in nine career at_bats against Volquez.

Tampa Bay scheduled starter Alex Cobb (4-2, 2.79) is 1-2 with a 4.74 ERA on the road, but he's won all three of his starts in St. Petersburg while posting a 1.17 ERA.

The right-hander gave up three hits over 8 1-3 innings in a 3-0 victory over the New York Yankees in his last outing at Tropicana Field, but he's since yielded seven runs and 18 hits - including four homers - over 12 1-3 innings in two road starts.

Cobb has never faced the Padres, who have split 12 all-time meetings with the Rays but have won all three of their series at Tropicana Field.

Carlos Quentin has hit .314 with five homers and 10 RBIs in his last 10 games in St. Petersburg, but he's hitless in 19 at_bats this month.

Teammate Chase Headley, though, is batting .400 during a 13-game hitting streak and is 6 for 12 this week.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:44 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Angels (12-22) at White Sox (14-18)

Venue: U.S. Cellular Field
Date: May 10, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

The Los Angeles Angels are trying to win back-to-back road games for the first time this season.

Consistent production from Josh Hamilton would surely help, and facing the Chicago White Sox may keep him going in the right direction.

Hamilton will try to build on his recent success and help the Angels capitalize on a three-game series against the last-place White Sox on Friday night.

Los Angeles (12-22) continues to be one of the biggest disappointments in baseball, and a 5-13 road record isn't helping.

The Angels have followed each of their road wins with at least two defeats, but they're hoping to change that after beating Houston 6-5 on Thursday to avoid a three-game sweep.

Manager Mike Scioscia was pleased after seeing his team rally to win by scoring three times in the eighth inning.

"It's a great character game for our guys," Scioscia said. "I feel good for them. The clubhouse feels good. We held on. We kept pressuring them and got some key hits as the game went on."

Hamilton may be gaining confidence, hitting home runs in each of the last two games after going 20 straight without one. Hamilton, who hit a career-best 43 homers last year, also doubled Thursday but is still batting .213 on the season - .171 on the road. Each of his four homers and six of his 11 RBIs have come against the Astros, who occupy the AL West cellar.

Perhaps facing another last-place team can get Hamilton and the Angels rolling.

Los Angeles has won 11 of 16 versus the White Sox (14-18) over the last two seasons, and Hamilton is a .346 hitter in 24 career games against them with eight homers and 23 RBIs. The five-time All-Star has a .379 average over his last eight visits to U.S. Cellular Field, and he's 2 for 3 with a homer versus Chicago scheduled starter Dylan Axelrod.

The Angels were set to start Tommy Hanson on Friday, but the right-hander was scratched as he continues to deal with a recent death in his family.

Los Angeles hasn't announced who will replace Hanson, but it has a few options. It could call up right-hander Orangel Arenas, who's 1-5 with a 6.57 ERA with Triple-A Salt Lake but is on normal rest. It could also bump scheduled Saturday starter Jerome Williams (1-1, 3.16 ERA), who allowed five runs over 4 1-3 innings against Baltimore Sunday in his 2013 starting debut, up a day.

Then, of course, the Angels would need a starter in the series' middle game - perhaps former No. 4 overall pick Tim Stauffer, who's having a strong season in Triple-A.

That uncertainty may not help Chicago, which is among the worst teams in the majors with a .227 average. However, the White Sox are coming off one of their best offensive displays of the season in Wednesday's 6-3 win over the New York Mets.

They matched a season high with 13 hits, including three doubles and two homers, after being one-hit by the Mets a day earlier in a 1-0, 10-inning loss.

The struggles of Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko remain a major problem. While Dunn is 3 for 22 this month with no RBIs, Konerko has one homer in his last 17 games and no RBIs in the past six.

Konerko is batting .224 overall, including 4 for 23 over the last five.

"He's fighting and working through on it," manager Robin Ventura told the team's official website. "It's not where he wants to be, but you can see glimpses of coming out."

Konerko went 5 for 24 with one homer over the final two three-game series with the Angels last season.

Axelrod (0-2, 3.60) is familiar with Chicago's offensive shortcomings.

The right-hander has been backed by 11 runs over his six starts, while he's held opponents to three runs or fewer in five of them. That includes all three starts at home, where he has no record but a 2.04 ERA.

Axelrod got no help in Saturday's 2-0 loss at Kansas City, as all of the scoring in his 7 2-3 innings came on a two-run triple in the first.

"That's my goal: to get a quality start," Axelrod said. "Every time out, give your team a chance to win. I'm trying to build off that."

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:46 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Yankees (20-13) at Royals (18-13)

Venue: Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Date: May 10, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

It seemed Mariano Rivera's career might have prematurely ended the last time he visited Kauffman Stadium.

Baseball's all-time saves leader is back, and he's sticking to his routine, too.

Rivera returns to Kansas City for the first time since tearing his ACL there as the New York Yankees face the Royals on Friday night.

Last season was supposed to be the finale of Rivera's spectacular 18-year career, but the swan-song tour came to an abrupt end May 3 in Kansas City. While shagging fly balls in the outfield during batting practice, Rivera's knee buckled and he crashed to the ground in obvious pain.

A torn ACL ended his season, but the 43-year-old closer is back for one more year.

"Nothing is going to change. I'm going to do what I love to do," Rivera said of shagging fly balls again. "Yes, I got hurt like this. But I'm going to enjoy it. It's nothing to regret."

Rivera is also planning to go to dinner with the Royals' doctor who helped him.

"We'll stop at a place he said was good," the 12-time All-Star said. "I'm just going to have the same fun that I have been having. The same fun I've always had. That's not going to put me down or say, 'You know what? I don't want to be here.' I want to be there. I want to be there and to enjoy, to see the doctor that took me to the hospital and say, 'Thank you.' I want that.

"It's not to feel sorry. It's to have joy, because I'm still doing what I love to do."

He's doing it superbly, posting a 1.88 ERA and converting all 13 save chances, extending his all-time record to 621. He's shut the door in each of the last two games as the Yankees (20-13) won two of three at Colorado, including Thursday's 3-1 victory.

Rivera has converted 35 of 37 save opportunities against the Royals (18-13), including 27 in a row dating to Aug. 18, 1998.

Phil Hughes (1-2, 3.60 ERA) will look to beat Kansas City for the fifth straight time. He owns a 1.93 ERA and 30 strikeouts in his last four starts overall, spanning 28 innings, after allowing nine runs in seven innings through his first two.

The right-hander turned in his best effort of the season Saturday, yielding four hits and striking out nine in eight scoreless innings of a 4-2 home win over Oakland.

"I feel like I'm kind of clicking right now," Hughes said. "I'm just happy that I'm starting to find my stride and hopefully we can maintain what I'm doing throughout the course of the season."

Royals manager Ned Yost felt keeping the same course wasn't a good idea with his team having dropped three straight entering Thursday, so he shuffled the lineup and Kansas City won 6-2 at Baltimore.

Alex Gordon was moved from the leadoff spot to third and responded with two hits, including a two-run homer. He's 7 for 17 with five RBIs over the past four games, homering in each of the last three.

While Alcides Escobar led off, Billy Butler was moved into the cleanup spot.

"I just think the most important two spots we have in the lineup now should be manned by Gordy and Billy, three and four," Yost told the team's official website. "Everything else is kind of interchangeable, matchups, who's producing."

Butler has hit .378 with 10 RBIs in his last 11 games against the Yankees, and Gordon batted .346 in last season's seven meetings as Kansas City went 3-4.

Royals right-hander Wade Davis (2-2, 4.75) will seek his first win in four starts, having gone 0-2 with a 7.53 ERA over the last three with 10 walks in 14 1-3 innings. However, he's coming off his second quality start of the season, yielding one run in six innings in a 6-5 win over the Chicago White Sox on Sunday.

Davis is 2-3 with a 4.70 ERA in six starts versus the Yankees.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-10-13 05:47 PM
Post A Reply

Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: