StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Superbowl
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
pointmagic
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Superbowl

No NFL team has had a losing record against the spread during a complete regular season and gone on to win the Super Bowl since at least 1984.

The Ravens went 6-9-1 against the spread in the 2012-13 regular season.

This is the 10th time in the past 11 years that the spread for the NFL's title game is a touchdown or less.

San Francisco is making its sixth Super Bowl appearance. The team is 5-0 in those games. No other franchise with more than one appearance has an undefeated record in this game.

The 49ers were favored in each of its previous trips to the Superbowl. The 18.5-point spread in their last appearance remains the biggest in history. Steve Young and company covered that year, defeating the San Diego Chargers by 23 points.

San Francisco -4

Old Post 01-21-13 04:40 PM
pointmagic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pointmagic Click here to Send pointmagic a Private Message Edit post   Report post
jtsachs
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Spicy. I like it. Thanks PM!

Old Post 01-21-13 04:42 PM
jtsachs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtsachs Click here to Send jtsachs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
jharmon64

Great Stuff

I would never have known that info on ATS for the season.

Do you by chance have that info on recent teams that were not favorites going into the playoffs?

IE:

2011 Giants
2010 Packers
2007 Giants
2005 Steelers
2001 Patriots

As always, great input.

"It's not about what you're capable of, It's about what you're willing to do." - Mike Tomlin

Old Post 01-22-13 01:05 AM
jharmon64 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jharmon64 Click here to Send jharmon64 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tdbabe
StatFox Hall of Famer

Curious about the first sentence....the teams may not have won, but did any cover?

Please view this site. Donations of any kind are always appreciated by these brave people.

http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Remember, Freedom isn't Free, thousands have paid the price so you can enjoy what you have today.

Old Post 01-22-13 01:40 AM
tdbabe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tdbabe Click here to Send tdbabe a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Dark Horse
FoxDen Hall of Famer

It not a meaningful stat.

The only thing it tells us is that the Ravens are peaking at the right time. No comparison between their defense now and in the regular season. They made Brady look helpless. That's something.

The Niners D, by comparison, is suspect.

Old Post 01-22-13 01:52 AM
Dark Horse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dark Horse Click here to Send Dark Horse a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Their defense has given up 400 yds game in the playoffs and Denver just lit em up for 35 pts. Not too stout I would say.
And if Denver doesnt have a mental lapse and allow a ridiculous 1 out of a thousandOr more) hail mary, they wouldnt even be here. I think the 9ers roll em.

I just dont understand why everyone is so infatuated with Ray Lewis. He aint the only player thats ever retired. Give it a damn rest..

Old Post 01-22-13 02:02 AM
Tex is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tdbabe
StatFox Hall of Famer

Both Niners and Ravens held their opponents to 0 points in the second half. Says something.

Niners had to come from behind, but their half-time adjustments were impressive...very similar to what the Seahawks did to Atlanta in the Division round....only better.

Ravens, on the other hand, pretty much held their own in the first half, then turned it up even stronger second half.

Stats are useless IMO....much more to it.

Please view this site. Donations of any kind are always appreciated by these brave people.

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Remember, Freedom isn't Free, thousands have paid the price so you can enjoy what you have today.

Old Post 01-22-13 02:11 AM
tdbabe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tdbabe Click here to Send tdbabe a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Is holding your opponents to zero points in the second half a useless stat too?

Old Post 01-22-13 02:16 AM
Tex is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tdbabe
StatFox Hall of Famer

No, you are correct....I misspoke.

Old Post 01-22-13 02:22 AM
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

compare the SB to the kentucky derby..just another horse race, just another football game. you can break down every trend, every stat, every ATS record, in the end the game will come down to who makes the big plays when it counts...nobody knows that. all the rest of it is just EL CRAPPO. and yes, one can only hope ray lewis gets kidnapped by aliens before the game.

Old Post 01-22-13 02:36 AM
ronnie111 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronnie111 Click here to Send ronnie111 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tdbabe
StatFox Hall of Famer

True ronnie......but it's the last game....and like the Kentucky Derby, one helluva good puzzle to cap.

Old Post 01-22-13 02:42 AM
pointmagic
FoxDen Hall of Famer

jharmon64

2011 Giants
2010 Packers
2007 Giants
2005 Steelers
2001 Patriots

Your wanting to know the ATS records of these teams in the regular season right? I don't have them on hand but I'm sure somebody on can pull them up.
-----------------------------

"It not a meaningful stat.

The only thing it tells us is that the Ravens are peaking at the right time. No comparison between their defense now and in the regular season. They made Brady look helpless. That's something.

The Niners D, by comparison, is suspect."

Dark Horse,

Come again? Specious arguments at best.

tdbabe,

I'm not exactly sure what your asking and it sounds like you don't use trends anyways so I guess it doesn't matter. lol

Old Post 01-22-13 06:12 AM
pointmagic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pointmagic Click here to Send pointmagic a Private Message Edit post   Report post
tdbabe
StatFox Hall of Famer

pointmagic......BOL on your wager for the Super Bowl. I would like nothing more than to see the Niners win, simply because I am a fan.

You are correct in that I do not rely on "trends". Not sure why you find that funny, but that's ok.

My question to you pertained to the first sentence of your post....which states:

"No NFL team has had a losing record against the spread during a complete regular season and gone on to win the Super Bowl since at least 1984."

I was curious to know if a team with a losing record ATS during the regular season had covered the spread in a Super Bowl. Turns out the Panthers (6-10 ATS) did cover vs. the Patriots (14-2 ATS) in Super Bowl 38. Pats -7 won 32-29...by only 3. I didn't go back any further than 2003/04.

btw, I did notice a couple of teams that won Super Bowls 41 & 44 with 8-8 ATS records during the regular season.

Old Post 01-22-13 08:33 AM
pointmagic
FoxDen Hall of Famer

tdbabe

I wasn't poking fun at you. Bytore would jump all over me for being mean to his sister. I wasn't paying attention to what you were asking..

All apologies.

Old Post 01-22-13 09:00 AM
mikeb104
StatFox Hall of Famer

I think TD is on to something in regards to stats. No matter which team you like, you will probably be able to find between 30 & 300 trends or stats to back your argument up

"Not everything you read on the internet is accurate"- Abraham Lincoln

Old Post 01-22-13 09:04 AM
mikeb104 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikeb104 Click here to Send mikeb104 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mikeb104
StatFox Hall of Famer

BTW, what are you guys doing up so late?

"Not everything you read on the internet is accurate"- Abraham Lincoln

Old Post 01-22-13 09:05 AM
mikeb104 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikeb104 Click here to Send mikeb104 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
RDTrains
StatFox Hall of Famer

Reg Season ATS

2011 Giants 8-7-1
2010 Packers 9-7
2007 Giants 10-6
2005 Steelers 9-7
2001 Patriots 11-5

Regarding the losing ATS reg season and not winning the SB since 1984. I don't hold that in very high regard. First of all, some people may only be interested in who Covers the Spread in the SB, not the outright winner. Secondly, last year's NYG where the first team EVER to win a SB with a negative reg season point differential. That tells me anything can happen regardless of past history.

I plan on doing a little more research on SB teams and their ATS records so stay thirsty my friends.

Old Post 01-22-13 04:59 PM
RDTrains is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RDTrains Click here to Send RDTrains a Private Message Edit post   Report post
pointmagic
FoxDen Hall of Famer

"I think TD is on to something in regards to stats. No matter which team you like, you will probably be able to find between 30 & 300 trends or stats to back your argument up."

Very true Mike and tdbabe. We are all privy to the same information on the internet. It's how each one of us as individuals process data that separates winners from losers.

this is for Bytore..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwj85HqWRBc

Old Post 01-22-13 05:02 PM
pointmagic
FoxDen Hall of Famer

"I plan on doing a little more research on SB teams and their ATS records so stay thirsty my friends."

I'm getting +180 with San Francisco. If enough of you guys that I respect can convince me to hedge with the Ravens plus four I just might do it. I personally believe that San Francisco's offense will make the Ravens look like the "Ravens", before the last two games they played against Brady and Manning. As good as those two guys play quarterback, they are pocket passers and Kaepernick is as fast as a cheetah.

Old Post 01-22-13 05:19 PM
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

All the trends in the world do not mean anything to the teams playing the game. Trends are utterly useless in my opinion. Like it was said already, you can find as many trends as you want for both teams. I cap the teams themselves, the players on the field being the most important factor of all.

Baltimore has a good shot here. This is coming from an ex-hardcore SF fan who will be rooting them on for the win.

There are many reasons but the one that stands out on initial inspection is the 4 losses SF has. The last two weeks I used them losses to play SF, now it is time to go against them for the same reasons.

In their losses they played top tier running backs. A. Peterson, M. Lynch, and S. Jackson recently. Even though they have a very good run D teams with premium running backs have been able to beat them. ATL/GB/NE were straight up pass first teams and they went down because of it. Baltimore has Ray Rice and a solid backup in Pierce. That is what I think makes them fit the mold as a team that can give SF trouble. There is plenty of time to do some more research but just think about that fact. I think it is very important here.

Old Post 01-22-13 10:05 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: