StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > San Fran/Atlanta
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

San Fran/Atlanta

Atl is overrated, their w-l record is very inflated, if they played in any other nfc division they probably would not even be in the playoffs this year.

They got very lucky that the division they play in had 2 horrible pass defenses but still could not do better than 3-3 vs division foes.

They also got terribly lucky when they got 3 of their first six games against KC, SD, and OAK. The sad thing is that OAK came within 3 pts of beating this team at home but that was some time ago.

Look at there whole season and tell me what game did they play a team as good as San Fran in? Truth is they have not. They have not played a really good team this season. Maybe Denver in week 2 but they were not clicking completely yet.

What do they do well? Throw. That is pretty much it. One dimensional. Who else threw well this season and played in a harder division and has just as many or more weapons than Atlanta? The Green Bay Packers. Who did SF beat handily twice this season? The Green Bay Packers, ONCE on the road.

Rushing, forget it. SF wins that battle handily.

Truth be told, Atlanta does not belong here. Next season they will be hard pressed to gain 10 wins if their schedule is legit. On the other hand, SF was here last year and is the strongest all around team in the nfl.

You know my play, the points do not matter in this one. Where the game is played does not matter. One team is close to greatness, the other is a by product of a weak schedule in which they really were not that impressive.

GL!

Old Post 01-19-13 04:40 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Q:"Look at there whole season and tell me what game did they play a team as good as San Fran in?

A: Seattle

Obvious. They just played last week.

And a few weeks ago Seattle handed San Fran their ass and put em bak on the plane to Cal.

Next question

give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Old Post 01-19-13 04:47 PM
Tex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

bbaffert

You bring a lot the the den and we appreciate it! Truth be told, you might be right in the decision to play SF minus the points! However, wins and losses are the only things that matter in this league! Atlanta has consistently proven this season that they DO belong in this game with a 13-3 record. They crushed Seattle in the first half of last weeks' game, and some how managed to give the game back to them in the second half. They also beat a very good Washington team in their own back yard! Not to mention Denver and few other legitimate teams throughout the year. Atlanta gets absolutely no credit from the national media and continuous jabs from critics along the way. How did they respond.... They WIN! Best of luck on your play tomorrow, but I will be rooting against you.

Old Post 01-19-13 05:19 PM
kcgreene06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kcgreene06 Click here to Send kcgreene06 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Traderpro
FoxDen Hall of Famer

As always, like the cogent write up.I tend to agree here and think biggest edge is with coaching for 49ers!

Old Post 01-19-13 07:28 PM
Traderpro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traderpro Click here to Send Traderpro a Private Message Edit post   Report post
maurice

Capping info

History is a factor to consider in capping any game.

Stat: San Fran. is 1 - 4 SU last 5 vs Atlanta

Old Post 01-19-13 08:29 PM
maurice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maurice Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Tex

Q:"Look at there whole season and tell me what game did they play a team as good as San Fran in?

"A: Seattle

Obvious. They just played last week.

And a few weeks ago Seattle handed San Fran their ass and put em bak on the plane to Cal.

Next question"

Playing at Seattle is probably one of the hardest things to do in the NFL. Their fans are without doubt the loudest and proudest I have heard. Atlanta fans are not even in the same conversation. They may love their team but Seattle fans are NUTS!

Also, Seattle is not as good as San Fran. Sorry, even though they did beat them on that given day, they just are not as good as a whole, their fans helped them a ton in that game. Besides, Seattle has one advantage Atlanta does not, Marshawn Lynch. Like I said last week in picking SF (and Seattle), San Fran only lost games this season where the other team had a solid run game. That is not the case with Atlanta. No running game, no running D, that is disaster vs. this San Fran team.

There is no reason they do not beat Atlanta as easily as Green Bay.

Old Post 01-19-13 10:17 PM
bbaffert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bbaffert Click here to Send bbaffert a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

maurice

Those numbers are just numbers, I hate trends because every game there are new ones started. Also, a 5 game trend is pretty weak, cherry picking at its best, especially since SF won the 3 games before that vs ATL. Also, your trend covers 8 years.

How about SF is 14-7 ats L21 vs Atlanta?

How about SF is 7-3 SU in the last 10 road games?

How about Atlanta is 2-4 ATS the last 6 games at home vs SF?

How about Atlanta lost at home to the lowly Tampa Bay Bucs less than a month ago and allowed Rookie Doug Martin to run all over them? That right there is the kind thing I am looking for. Not some cherry picked trends.

Old Post 01-19-13 10:31 PM
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

If you are discounting Atlantas home dome adavantage..... you havent been paying much attention the last few years. They rarely lose at home.
We can spat back and forth all day long. but

This game is a public(sf) vs sharps(atlanta) game. I may lose, but I know which side I am on..

Good luck.

give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Old Post 01-19-13 10:33 PM
Tex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
GMEN12

Tex I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old Post 01-19-13 10:35 PM
GMEN12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GMEN12 Click here to Send GMEN12 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

kcgreene

Best wishes to you and your Falcons tomorrow.

I agree wins matter to get an advantageous spot in the playoffs. Now that we are here quality wins matter much more. Say we give the Falcons a quality win over Seattle last week, I do believe that is a gift. Where are the others? Give me something the Falcons have done that matches up with SF's wins AT NE and AT GB? Ask Houston and Denver about how important wins are and I am sure they can tell you a story.

If you cannot run very well, you cannot beat the 49ers. If you can run for 300 yards in the playoffs and are playing a worse run D what is most likely to happen? My answer would be whatever you want.

4th best pass D
4th best run D

That is a combination that Atlanta cannot match up with in any way, shape or form. If they had an A. Peterson or even a M. Lynch they might have a shot. They do not. No SHOT.

GL!

Old Post 01-19-13 10:48 PM
GMEN12

Didn't the Falcons run last week vs Seattle?

Old Post 01-19-13 10:54 PM
GMEN12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GMEN12 Click here to Send GMEN12 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

That dont count. Seattle sucks

Old Post 01-19-13 10:56 PM
bbaffert
StatFox Hall of Famer

Tex

Would you say that Atlanta's home field advantage is greater than NE or GB?

Let us say GB went 7-1 this season at home, that loss? SF

Let us say GB has went 15-1 at home the last 2 seasons, that loss? SF

Let us say GB is 22-2 the last 3 years at home, one loss? SF

Let us say NE went 6-2 this season at home, a loss? SF

Let us say NE has went 13-3 at home the last 2 seasons, one loss? SF

Let us say NE is 21-3 the last 3 years at home, one loss? SF

Let us say ATL has went 12-4 at home the last 2 seasons, THEIR NEXT LOSS?
San Francisco!!

GL my friend.

Old Post 01-19-13 10:57 PM
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

bbaffert

We all have our opinions, and you were lucky to back door your shed play on Seattle last week! This conversation has gone on all year, and most people haven't given Atlanta any credit all year! I'm just stating my opinions on your derogatory remarks towards a 13-3 (Number One Seed). What's the excuse going to be if the falcons win yet again? In the NFL, you have to be a pretty good to squad to go 13-3! I don't care what the stats say.... This isn't a college game, and any team can rise to the occasion on any given week!! SF also lost at Candlestick, to a less than stellar NYG team (Atlanta destroyed NYG on both offense and defense). It's the record that matters! I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow, but you might have to eat some crow before the end of the day! BOL!!

Old Post 01-19-13 11:28 PM
kcgreene06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kcgreene06 Click here to Send kcgreene06 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Yeah, the Rams found out how invincible they are. Whats the excuse for that beatdown..

The rams had no shot to win that game(kinda like the falcons this week).. but guess what. Superman lost his cape(rnick).

The only thing that baff(les) me is ... why the hell even play these games. Just crown their asses.

Old Post 01-19-13 11:43 PM
douglas
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thought I would toss this into the mix

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree has been questioned by police regarding a sexual assault allegation, the San Francisco Police Department confirmed to NFL.com and NFL Network. Police said that the alleged assault occurred in a city hotel room early Sunday.

Officer Gordon Shyy told NFL.com that Crabtree was interviewed earlier this week. The victim did not contact police until a few days later, after which police interviewed Crabtree with his lawyer present.

The officer also said the investigation is active, but he has no details as far as a timeline.

The 49ers arrived in Atlanta on Friday night in advance of the NFC Championship Game and released a statement on the matter:

"We are aware of the allegation against Michael and understand that he has fully cooperated with authorities," GM Trent Baalke said. "The 49ers take such matters very seriously. We will have no further comment at this time as the legal process is ongoing. Additional requests for comment should be directed to Michael's attorney."

The San Francisco Chronicle and Comcast SportsNet Bay Area report that Crabtree is expected to play in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons. Crabtree has not been detained or arrested. He has agreed to make himself available for possible further interviews about an assault.

No other information is available at this time, but we'll continue to update the situation as news warrants.

Old Post 01-19-13 11:44 PM
douglas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for douglas Click here to Send douglas a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

"One team is close to greatness"

Seriously.... the nfl is so watered down these days... that most teams are mediocre or a tad above.

Greatness was the old Steelers, Cowboys, 9ers and Packer teams.

Old Post 01-19-13 11:51 PM
creed05

Tex

Here Here! Like Forest Gump said: ..Like a box of chocolates...U know the rest...W/ today's teams..

Old Post 01-20-13 03:29 AM
creed05 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for creed05 Click here to Send creed05 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
jharmon64

Toss Up

Just a note:

SF as mentioned:

4th best pass D
4th best run D

Last week that was Den

3rd best pass D
3rd best run D

Flacco 331, 3 TD and 0 Int
Rice 131, 1 TD

I still lean Niners but it seems we can toss a bunch of stats around for either case.

I may stay off and just enjoy the game.

"It's not about what you're capable of, It's about what you're willing to do." - Mike Tomlin

Old Post 01-20-13 04:34 AM
jharmon64 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jharmon64 Click here to Send jharmon64 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
RDTrains
StatFox Hall of Famer

baff?

So this is a shed bet or just the outhouse?

Old Post 01-20-13 05:19 AM
RDTrains is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RDTrains Click here to Send RDTrains a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: