StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Introduction thread. Where you from? Best Sport? Etc.
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (16): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Ragtop
StatFox Hall of Famer

Hey Everybody

We have over 210 members on line as I post. We can do better than 19 respondents. I remember when the forum adveraged 50-100 members and we always had a better responce than this. All you lurkers and first time posters, this is your chance to get involved. You never know, you may have some infromation about yourself or your area that can help someone else here.

Old Post 01-07-06 01:42 AM
Ragtop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ragtop Click here to Send Ragtop a Private Message Edit post   Report post
dld3151
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I'll be 55 in March. I have a 27-year-old daughter who lives about a mile from me here in Round Rock, Texas -- a suburb just to the north of Austin. Been here 18 years. I was born in Corpus Christi and lived there 32 years, including the first 10 years of my professional life. Also put in 5 years in San Antonio. Professionally, I'm a journalist and have been a newspaper sports copy editor for the past 18 years. Prior to that, I was a sports writer, mainly covering college and pro football, baseball, basketball, boxing, golf and tennis. That meant a ton of traveling, mainly to Southwest Conference football games on Saturday and to Houston on Sundays to cover the Oilers (when they really sucked) during the fall. Also had the pleasure of covering a couple of U.S. Open golf tournaments Nowadays, I'm much happier staying in one place, doing my job and trying to figure out a way to retire early. Currently, sports betting is beating the heck out of my 401(k).

I was introduced to sports betting in 1984 while working in San Antonio. The guy who covered the Spurs for the paper I worked for there was a former Dallas bookie. I was curious and he agreed to take my bets. I went 25-5 that first weekend in college football ... betting ALL favorites. Never seen that happen since. My friend was kind enough to explain a few things to me and finally persuaded me to look toward the underdog first. Glad I listened to him.

I've learned many lessons along the way, the most important of which is to never get overly confident during a winning stretch and think the reverse can't happen, because at some point it will. I focus solely on slow, steady bankroll growth and hold my per-game plays to a tiny percentage (usually about 2 percent) of the BR. I've enjoyed my first two months here and can't see leaving anytime soon.

Old Post 01-07-06 01:43 AM
dld3151 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dld3151 Click here to Send dld3151 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
cimkemp

Hey all. I'm a poor 24 year old medical student from New Jersey, lived here my entire life. I'm relatively new to sports gambling, and up until I found this website, I stuck to football - basically just contrarian betting on the underdog, and unfortunately, that didn't work out too well for me this year. No pets, kids, or wives for me yet, which is just as well because my life is basically devoted to Biology, Giants football, Yankee baseball, and Nets/Knicks basketball. Lately I've even caught myself watching hockey. Good luck, I enjoy reading everyone's posts and learning more about capping.

Old Post 01-07-06 01:49 AM
cimkemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cimkemp Click here to Send cimkemp a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Fireball

I am 45 years and played B-ball for UNC under Dean Smith. I currently work in sports. I enjoy all sports but particularly college BBall of course. I play a lot of parlays and have done very well this year due to mixing up hockey, CBB. NFL and NBA pix. I try to go with the best of the mix and use a lot of suggestions from the forum. I have picked up my bankroll 300% in the past 2 weeks while on vacation and really reviewing stats as well as the comments on this and other sites. My pet peeve is that on this site the regular posters can get by with things unchallenged while those of us who are more low key may bet and win as much or more but get challenged on stupid stuff by other posters. ! Some people also are getting a little ****y and need to come down to earth. There are a lot of .......kissers on this forum. Good luck to all and go heels!

Old Post 01-07-06 02:25 AM
Fireball is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireball Edit post   Report post
G-MAN

Hey Y'all Partners,

I'm 40 yrs old - live in Boston. Used to be a banker - now involved in real estate - in the past played the football cards - and lost trying to bet 4-6 team parlays, recently - last year started looking seriously into betting during the ftball season. Learned about statfox last year from the sportsmemo radio show.

Looking forward to learning how to cap games on my own and share info with all the great people on this forum

Good luck to all - No better yet " HOLD THE FAITH on YOUR PLAYS" - faith is stronger than luck.

Peace to all in FY'06.

G-Man

Old Post 01-07-06 02:36 AM
G-MAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G-MAN Edit post   Report post
NYMickey

Greetings and Salutations

Hello Everybody!

My name is Rich and I was born and raised in Jamaica, Queens NY. Graduated from Queens College and now live in Marietta, GA (about a 1/2 hour north of Atlanta). I am 44 years old and married with an 18 yr old daughter and a 15 yr old son.

I started gambling when I was 12 yrs old. Dad gave me $20 and took me to Aqueduct racetrack and 32 yrs later I'm STILL trying to get my $20 back !!!

My 2nd favorite sport is football betting ... I miss those "tickets" that I used to fill out. Anyways, I never bet on baseball until recently as I didn't understand the ML and the run line. I want to thank this forum for showing me how to bet baseball (at least I THINK I do !) and other sports. I'm interested now in this 4D chase thing.

I really enjoy this forum and hope to continue to learn so that someday I too can post picks with confidence.

Old Post 01-07-06 02:38 AM
NYMickey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NYMickey Click here to Send NYMickey a Private Message Edit post   Report post
buster65@bellso
FoxDen Hall of Famer

looks like one of them dad gum gamblers anonymous meetings

Old Post 01-07-06 03:00 AM
buster65@bellso is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buster65@bellso Click here to Send buster65@bellso a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Sourcy

Hey!

Sourcy here,

Real name is Daniel [52],
Born and raised in Ohio thru high school, College in Florida, 10 years in Pittsburgh, 10 year split between Maine and Texas.

Profession: Tennis professional seasonally [coach Fieldston High School Varsity both fall and spring seasons] in NYC where I now live. Also have a small base of private clients. Summers are spent in Maine as head of tennis of a camp of 360 kids.

Began gambling “for a living” {and losing my pay-check} in Pittsburgh in the late 80’s.

For the last 9 years I have done pretty well subsidizing my income betting on College and Pro hoops and football.

Just got humbled by Rdtrains in our six-pack contest. Hats off to the best ‘capper’ I’ve run into in a long time.

Passion: horseracing

Hey is anyone here interested in a “newbie” NBA contest? Seems I’m too new [don’t have enough posts] to partake in the one already started.

Nice forum, good insights, and some helpful info here.
Hope I can help in some way.

Old Post 01-07-06 03:17 AM
Sourcy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sourcy Edit post   Report post
jlbvzla
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Hi, there....

I am Jose, 55 years old, from Maracaibo, Venezuela, ...
I've been a college professor for 30+ years and also worked in oil & petrochemical industry. I am a chemical engineer but developped in Statistics and Finance at graduate school at the University of Oklahoma (go, Sooners...)
Mostly retired, I still teach some courses at a university in my country of origin. I live about 8 monts in Venezuela and 4 at Miami, Florida.
Four kids (30 years to 10 years old) and four grand sons.
As is usual in Venezuela, I am stronger in baseball which I practiced (2nd baseman) and even managed at amateur college level.
Learned to love football during my three years at OU.
I really enjoyed being in this forum and respect very much all the professional handicappers and hall-of-famers that post here.

Old Post 01-07-06 03:30 AM
jlbvzla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jlbvzla Click here to Send jlbvzla a Private Message Edit post   Report post
MTPaid
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Hi. My name is Matt and I'm an alcoho............oops, Buster tricked me.

Born 5 minutes from Shea Stadium in Feb of '75. I trust you guys to do the math, and if you can't you probably shouldn't be gambling anyway. Did my growing up in Staten Island about 15 years after RD left town. Been in Central Jersey since '87. Went back to SI to go to college. St. John's alumn around the time of the great Felip Lopez. Graduated right around the time Ron Artest showed up. NFL has historically been my best sport. This year NFL season was horrible, but my college football made up for a lot of that. Poker now takes up as much if not more of my time than sports handicapping.

Old Post 01-07-06 05:31 AM
MTPaid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MTPaid Click here to Send MTPaid a Private Message Edit post   Report post
xnyerinlv
FoxDen Hall of Famer

MTPaid

Lets go redmen!

Old Post 01-07-06 05:40 AM
xnyerinlv is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xnyerinlv Click here to Send xnyerinlv a Private Message Edit post   Report post
esaboo_pa
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I am from western PA. I am 34. First year cappin all sports. I don't know what my best sport is because I am still leaning, I like Baseball the best! I like STATFOX because no one rags on you if have a bad day - I really like feedback but not after the game is over. Everyone is so supportive on this site that is what I like. I am always ready to learn and listen (sometime I don't - it's a fault of mine). But everyone is so great one this forum... Please don't change - I sound like Spoonie Luv. Oh, I finally opened up...

Old Post 01-07-06 05:43 AM
esaboo_pa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for esaboo_pa Click here to Send esaboo_pa a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Trotter201

bio

Dan, 46 born and raised in Kansas. Still live here. Have 2 boys 10 and 13. 1 girl 6. Have been married 12 1/2 years. (another math assignment). Served this great country in the US NAVY 1977 - 1983. Attened a business school and have worked for the same health insurance company for last 23 years. I work in Computer Operations. Love the Kansas Jayhawks. First taste of gambling was poker at about 17. Had several card games during my time in the service. When I got out I discovered the race track. (ak-sar-ben.) I don't remember what year (mid 80'S) but Jack Vanburg ran Ghost Dancer at the track. It was quite a thrill to see a big time race horse. Hooked ever since. I will wager on about anything but I really like horse racing. The only sport I ever excelled at was bowling. (is that a sport) Have had 9 300 games and 7 800's. I enjoy playing tennis and golf.

By the way thanks for asking and for all the info I receive on this site. Good luck to all.

Old Post 01-07-06 06:08 AM
Trotter201 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trotter201 Click here to Send Trotter201 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Shadow9
StatFox Legend

Hi! I'm Dave Merino's brother.... NOT!

Shadow is both my dogs name and what I do for a living. I'm a 52 year old Private Investigator who is hopefully about to retire this summer and become a Professional "Investor"...not gambler, lol!

Born bleeding the Blue & White since birth, I'm a die hard Leaf fan who has been dying since 1967 when they last won the Stanley Cup. I became a Pittsburgh Steeler fan in 1969 when they were a pitiful 1-13 on the year. Then came Bradshaw and the Steel Curtain and the rest is history.

Born and raised in Toronto (The Big Smoke) I'm an Army brat who spent from 1963-1965 in West Germany as my father was posted overseas. Just a kid then, it was great playing "war" on the weekends with the German kids, it started out friendly, but usually wound up as a real war between us Cdn kids and them before we were finished, LOL.

I worked for the Ontario Jockey Club for 10 years and would consider Horse Racing my favourite sport to bet on, followed by the NHL, and NFL. I also love the challenge of Investing in the Stock Market as a part time hobby. Currently studying the Forex.

Anyhow, I've enjoyed "meeting" all the various characters on the forum and will hopefully be meeting with one or two of you "for real" in Vegas during the summer.

Well, that's it... and I'm glad to help out any way I can.

Ciao!

Old Post 01-07-06 06:44 AM
Shadow9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow9 Click here to Send Shadow9 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
jonnyblaze

Hi all. Used to post a little more, just graduated law school at Arizona St. Law and have been studying for the bar exam. Still read frequently and follow some of you (why pay some chump, you guys are free and some a really good) since I havent had time to cap as much the last couple of years.

32 years old from Boston Mass. Moved to southwest to attend under-grad ) UNM. Met my wife, moved back to Boston after college. Decided to go to law school and sick of the weather, housing prices so went back to the southwest for law school and will probably stay out here.

SHADOW: Family is mostly from NY, city and long island. My grandparents had a house in Copake (Berkshires). Is that your part of town? Both my parents went to SUNY Albany.

Love the Pats. Best bet was a 1500 ML play on them in the 2001 super bowl (and they have been covering ever since). Best sport is NFL (rare I know) though I had a nice college football season. Too many games for me to cap in CBB, but I love the sport. Follow you guys on that one.

Love live systems. Situations are so underated, but always back the system with real analysis of the teams, which is why I like the NFL. I know every team so well cause we see them all play every week.

Been getting my a** kicked in NBA this year until recently. I started using a football theory- looking for trap lines along small factors.

Will post more in the near future after the bat. Until, keep it up I'll be relying on you guys!

Old Post 01-07-06 07:31 AM
jonnyblaze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonnyblaze Edit post   Report post
brcjd6048

Great Sight

Hi, Names Brad. Born and raised northeast Pa. 37yrs old. 3 kids 18B,17G,and 11B Devorsed 6yrs girl friend 3yrs. {Feel like im back on personals sight} Favorite sport has always bin football. Big Steeler fan. Only bet on football till I found foxden. Not sure thats a good thing. Woud be done in a month or so but doing really well with all the good cappers on here. Want to thank ALL for the great info and picks!!! Love to fish. Do a lot of local tournaments PA and Ohio. Not sure why ,other than family I stay here. Cant stand the cold weather. Service technician for Sears going on 8yrs.Meet a lot of diferant pepole going to there homes to fix things. May move to Georgia in a few years. Girl friends parrents live there. Lots of good fishing and golfing year round{THAT WOULD BE TROUBLE}

THANKS
AGAIN TO ALL AND KEEP THE GREAT PICKS COMING
BC OUT!!!

Old Post 01-07-06 07:33 AM
brcjd6048 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brcjd6048 Edit post   Report post
HGC83
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Hello everyone.

My name is Herbie and I will be 30 on the 20th. I am from Springfield MO. We are the home of the Missouri State Bears and the Springfield Cardinals. (AA St Louis Cards) I used to play semi pro football for the Springfield Rifles and 2 back surgeries later, I now play pick up basketball and some softball. I mainly play poker and just got back from a tourney in Vegas where I finished 25th out of about 800. I am still learning but had a nice NFL season. I follow the Missouri Valley conference closely and attend many of the Missouri State games. By the way, N Iowa beat us the last time they came to town and we will be without our backup guard for this one. I will get into that tomorrow though.

I am in the elite 8 of the TOC and expect to move on after this weekend. I really like all 4 games.

I am a big fan of Socal, Hova, M.M and Shadow as they have all at one point helped make me some money in the last few months.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Old Post 01-07-06 07:34 AM
HGC83 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HGC83 Click here to Send HGC83 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
jonnyblaze

For Ragtop

The line about upstate NY should have been for Ragtop not Shadow.

GL on the NFL playoff everyone

Also, off topic but my friend told me that the last recently a team off three divisions games and goes on The road Is 0-11 Ats in their next game (Washington this week). Can anyone confirm this and tell me hwo far back it goes? (Ill post this in the main as well)

Old Post 01-07-06 07:42 AM
jonnyblaze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonnyblaze Edit post   Report post
Bytore
FoxDen Hall of Famer

"looks like one of them dad gum gamblers anonymous meetings"

LMAO!!!

I am trying to read, then you hit that...

Old Post 01-07-06 09:21 AM
Bytore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bytore Click here to Send Bytore a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Bytore
FoxDen Hall of Famer

---

"Hey is anyone here interested in a “newbie” NBA contest? Seems I’m too new [don’t have enough posts] to partake in the one already started."

---

I will get you in Sourcy. It's like refusing a rookie like Crosby. It's just wrong!

Friday is not so mean, he will let you in. You are worthy. :)

Old Post 01-07-06 09:47 AM
Bytore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bytore Click here to Send Bytore a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (16): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: