StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Cnotes NHL Regular and Stanley Cup Playoff's Best Bets !
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Wednesday, May 1

Game Score Status Pick Amount

Toronto - 7:00 PM ET Boston -175 500

Boston - Over 5 500 POD # 3

NY Islanders - 7:30 PM ET NY Islanders +210 500 POD # 1

Pittsburgh - Over 5.5 500

San Jose - 10:30 PM ET San Jose +130 500 POD # 2

Vancouver - Under 5 500

Believe in the 3 G's
GIRLS, GOLF,GAMBLING not in any particular order.

Old Post 05-02-13 12:40 AM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL
Short Sheet

Wednesday, May 1

Quarterfinals, Game One (Series Tied, 0-0)
Toronto at Boston, 7:05 ET CNBC
Toronto: Toronto 10-3 SU revenging a loss vs opponent as a road favorite
Boston: Boston 10-13 SU after playing a home game

NY Islanders at Pittsburgh, 7:35 ET NBCSN
NY Islanders: 4-15 SU revenging a road loss versus opponent by 2 goals or more
Pittsburgh:

San Jose at Vancouver, 10:35 ET NBCSN
San Jose: 3-9 SU after a close loss by 1 goal in their previous game
Vancouver: 18-6 SU revenging 2 consecutive losses to opponent as a favorite

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 12:42 AM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Senators (0-0) at Canadiens (0-0)

Date: May 02, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

MONTREAL (AP) - Daniel Alfredsson has tormented the Canadiens since he began his Ottawa Senators career in 1995, but he has never faced Montreal in the playoffs.

The 40-year-old Alfredsson will finally get that chance Thursday night when the Senators and Canadiens face off in the postseason for the first time in Game 1 of the first-round matchup.

``It's going to be a great series because of the cities being so close to each other,' Alfredsson said Wednesday. ``Ottawa is a pretty new franchise compared to Montreal.

``Before we had the team, people were either Toronto or Montreal fans, so we have a lot of Montreal fans in Ottawa and we're converting them one step at a time. Winning this series would probably go a long way to helping that.'

A long, tight series of one-goal games is expected from the two quick-skating teams.

With eight players with at least 10 goals in the 48-game regular season, the Canadiens bring more scoring depth and one of the NHL's top power plays. Ottawa counters with the league's best penalty-killing unit, thorough defensive play and a lot more size on the back end.

And they have Alfredsson, who has amassed 103 points in 85 career games against the Canadiens.

``He's good and very smart on the ice,' said Montreal forward Michael Ryder, whose line with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta will likely shadow the Senators captain. ``But I think if we play the way we can and get into the offensive zone and use that to our advantage, we'll be fine.

``But you've got to watch him when he's out there.'

There has never been a heated rivalry between the clubs, largely because they hadn't met in the postseason since Ottawa joined the NHL as an expansion team in the 1992-93 season - when the Canadiens won the last of their record 24 Stanley Cup titles.

That is likely to change now.

``Both teams are looking at doing whatever it takes to win games,' Alfredsson said. ``Usually, in a playoff series, incidents happen and rivalries get created because of it.

``I don't think we're looking to create a rivalry. We're looking to win a series, and the rivalry will come with that.'

Carey Price was having a dominant season until he and the Canadiens fell apart for a two-week stretch in April, but the goalie rebounded with two decent outings in the final week. In his last postseason appearance in 2011, he excelled in a seven-game, first-round matchup against eventual Cup winner Boston.

Ottawa will counter with Craig Anderson, who posted a stellar 1.69 goals-against average and .941 save percentage this season but missed 20 games because of an injury.

Another matchup to watch is the play of each team's young, hotshot defensemen: P.K. Subban for Montreal and 2012 Norris trophy winner Erik Karlsson for the Senators.

Subban was second in team scoring with 38 points. Karlsson likely would have had more impressive numbers had he not sustained a deep skate cut on his left Achilles tendon on Feb. 13. He returned for the final three games of the regular season.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:06 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Rangers (0-0) at Capitals (0-0)

Date: May 02, 2013 7:30 PM EDT

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - Things were looking bleak for the Washington Capitals in early February.

Playing a new system under a rookie head coach, with a shortened training camp and zero exhibition games thanks to the lockout, Alex Ovechkin and Co. won only two of their first 11 games. Somehow, Washington wound up atop the Southeast Division and hosts the New York Rangers on Thursday night to begin an Eastern Conference playoff series.

``When you have a tough start like that, sometimes you need a meeting to talk about it and let everybody speak up,' Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom said. ``That's what I think was the turning point.'

With the team last in the entire NHL and coming off a listless 5-2 loss at the Pittsburgh Penguins - ``a letdown game,' as forward Joel Ward put it - Washington's players went to their practice facility atop a shopping mall Feb. 8 and, before heading out to the ice, gathered in the locker room to hash things out, no coaches allowed.

``We played terrible. Didn't have any emotion. It's one you needed to talk about instantly; can't let things like that drag on,' defenseman Karl Alzner said. ``We had to get everything out in the open, hear what everybody was feeling, why we thought we weren't playing with as much intensity as we normally do, and figure it out. Figure it out now.'

Ovechkin, the team's captain, spoke up, as did forward Troy Brouwer, the only player on the roster who won a Stanley Cup (in 2010, with the Chicago Blackhawks).

Alzner, though, recalled being struck by just how many players - ``half the guys on the team; even some of the younger guys' - voiced an opinion.

``A lot of guys weren't happy. A lot of guys had things to say,' Alzner said. ``It was nice to have everybody get their piece out there. And it was nice to listen to what everybody thinks, because everyone sees things differently.'

Said Brouwer: ``It doesn't matter who was talking, the message was the same. We were unhappy with ourselves.'

One specific topic of discussion, according to Ward, was the high number of penalties the Capitals were getting called for at that point in the season.

Through those first 11 games, Washington gave up a league-worst 15 power-play goals.

The consensus also was that it was early enough in the season to make up for the problems they'd been having.

``We just said we had to start fresh and start all over and wipe this part of it out. Let's start from zero again,' Ward said. ``A new season tomorrow.'

Pretty much happened that way, too.

The next day, Washington began a three-game winning streak. In those three victories, the Capitals averaged five goals; they hadn't scored more than three in any game before that.

Players don't think it was a coincidence that they went 27-18-3 the rest of the way.

``It's a lot like, say, a coaching change,' Brouwer said. ``The team always comes out real hard afterwards because of the talks that they've had and the meetings that they've had. Guys just got those emotions out and expressed where we wanted to be and so we saw results right away.'

Now the Capitals face the Rangers in the playoffs for the third season in a row, and fourth time in five seasons.

Like Washington, New York can point to a pivotal moment. Stuck in a 2-3-1 rut as the April 3 trade deadline approached, the Rangers needed a shake-up.

It happened in the final 24 hours of dealing, when prime scorer Marian Gaborik was shipped to Columbus for a package that included forward Derick Brassard and defenseman John Moore. A day earlier, the Rangers acquired rugged forward Ryane Clowe, whose playing status against Washington is uncertain because he was injured in the final week of the regular season.

New York took the ice just hours after the Gaborik deal and beat Pittsburgh 6-1, thanks in part to Clowe's two goals and Brassard's four points in their Rangers debuts.

That began a surge for the Rangers, who finished 9-3-1 and clinched a playoff berth in their next-to-last game.

``I think it solidified our team,' Rangers coach John Tortorella said of the deadline dealing. ``We have kind of grown since then. We're not always dead-on in our minutes in the game, but we have still found ways to win hockey games, and that's what we're going to have to do in the playoffs.'

He added: ``I thought it changed our team a little bit. ... And we took off.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:08 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Kings (0-0) at Blues (0-0)

Date: May 02, 2013 9:30 PM EDT

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Alexander Steen's overtime goal could be a lot more than a game-changer for the St. Louis Blues. However fluky the finish, they know they can beat the Los Angeles Kings.

Now, they'll try to keep the upper hand against the defending Stanley Cup champions.

``I think we had the adrenaline going and were excited being our home opener in the playoffs and a lot to prove,' forward Andy McDonald said Wednesday. ``We just have to make sure that we match that again, and maybe even bring it up a notch. We know that they're going to come out a lot harder.'

Blues coach Ken Hitchcock invoked the hockey gods after Steen picked goaltender Jonathan Quick's pocket behind the net and scored short-handed to stun Los Angeles 2-1 in the series opener Tuesday night. He stopped just short of calling it a must win, given the Kings' eight-game winning streak in the series entering Game 1.

The Kings also swept the Blues in the second round last year and had 3-0 series leads against every opponent. Coach Darryl Sutter is confident that Quick, whose play got the Kings to overtime, will shake off his crucial giveaway.

``There was no issue with Jonathan last night,' Sutter said. ``You can say he made a mistake. He was trying to make a play, he was buying some time. The best two players on the ice were Steen and Quick, so I don't think either one's talking about bouncing back.'

Quick was not among the dozen or so players participating in an optional skate Wednesday, and did not meet with reporters.

Most of Game 1, the Blues looked like the team that won 12 of its last 15 to earn the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference and home-ice advantage against the Kings, who finished just one point behind.

``I don't think we focused as much on them as we did ourselves,' Steen said. ``I thought we came out with a lot of jump and played the way we wanted to play. But being said, that's Game 1 and it's behind us now.'

The Kings were saying that for a different reason. Forward Dustin Penner said the finish ``makes that game hurt more, but that game's over. The onus is on the older guys and the veteran guys to curtain any negativity we have toward the way that game ended.'

The Blues were thrown off their game by the Kings' physical play last spring, and made it a point to initiate the contact in Game 1. They were outhit 41-38, but got the Kings' attention with bruising Ryan Reaves leading the charge.

``I think last year they did it to us,' Reaves said. ``They pushed us out. I think this year, it's got to be the opposite. And when they push back, we've got to push harder.'

Sutter saw plenty of room for improvement with the Kings, particularly younger players who weren't quite ready for the increased intensity. He wasn't worried about physical play, describing the series as a matchup of ``fast teams that work.'

On the road, with the Blues dictating matchups and the top line with David Backes opposing the Kings' No. 1 line, Sutter there's no use forcing things.

``Your matchups are what they are,' Sutter said. ``And how do you counter that? Some of the boys that play on our fourth line have to play like big boys.'

Matt Greene practiced and is a potential replacement on defense for either Jake Muzzin or Keaton Ellerby, who both struggled in their playoff debuts. But Greene played just four games in the regular season due to injuries and missed the season finale.

``It's not just healthy, he's got to be up to speed,' Sutter said. ``He needed about 10 games, to be quite honest. You don't just put him in the lineup because he's Matt Greene, Matt Greene has to be able to play, perform.'

Hitchcock said forward T.J. Oshie, who returned after missing 15 games following left ankle surgery, was OK.

``I thought he did fine until he got tired, then he started playing with his eyes, maybe,' Hitchcock said. ``He'll be better in Game 2. He's one of those guys for us that we need to be better.'

Kings defenseman Robyn Regehr dodged a potentially scary injury, escaping with a bloody, broken nose after getting clipped by the butt of Backes' skate. The blade just missed.

``I was very luck I wasn't sliced open,' Regehr said. ``It's just a broken nose. It's been broken many times before.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:10 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Red Wings (0-0) at Ducks (0-0)

Date: May 02, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Teemu Selanne scored his first NHL playoff goal when Detroit defenseman Danny DeKeyser was 3 years old. The Finnish Flash has been tormenting goalies for two decades since then, right up to his winner in the Anaheim Ducks' playoff opener against the Red Wings.

At 42, Selanne grows weary of hockey's travel grind and the offseason training necessary to keep his remarkable career steaming ahead. He never gets tired of scoring goals, particularly from that spot in the left faceoff circle where he beat Jimmy Howard to put the Ducks on top.

``Usually I have a little better angle, but it was the end of the power play, so I decided I'm just going to shoot there and hope for the best,' Selanne said after practice Wednesday. ``That came in my mind right away, before I even got the pass. I don't know how much time there was left, but (I) just tried to hold out and create something new.'

When the Ducks return to Honda Center for Game 2 against Detroit on Thursday night, Selanne knows they'll need their veteran toughness to get a similar result against the young, hungry Wings.

After years of being the playoff upstarts in their series with powerful Detroit, Anaheim can match up splendidly in experience. Nobody has more than Selanne, who scored his 10th playoff goal against Detroit in Game 1 - more than any other active player - from the same area of the ice in which Selanne estimates he has scored a ``couple hundred' goals over the decades.

``That's vintage Teemu from that spot,' said Daniel Cleary, who scored Detroit's only goal on a fortunate deflection. ``That's where he's been for years.'

Few Ducks fans have forgotten Selanne scored the overtime goal in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals against Detroit in 2007, arguably the most important goal in franchise history. The Ducks won five of their next six games on the way to their only Stanley Cup title.

Selanne often has a knack for finding the net in the postseason, as evidenced by his 42 goals in 112 career playoff games, despite the pressure of playing against most opponents' best defensive players during his career. That scoring touch carried into his 40s, when he scored six goals in the Ducks' last playoff series, a six-game loss to Nashville in the first round in 2011.

``He's a big factor out there, and there's a pretty good chance we'll see him again next year,' Detroit captain Henrik Zetterberg said. ``He's definitely good enough to play another year.'

Zetterberg is a Stanley Cup champion and a Conn Smythe Trophy winner, so he knows he's got to make a bigger playoff contribution for the Red Wings to even the series. The captain believes the Red Wings' forecheck and neutral-zone play was poor, allowing Anaheim to spend far too much time in Detroit's zone with superior puck movement.

``We need to sustain more pressure in their end,' Zetterberg said. ``(In Game 1) it was too much one-and-done. They're playing good defense, clogging up the neutral zone. We've got to be better in all areas.'

The Ducks' third line, centered by Saku Koivu, deserves the credit for shutting down Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk in Game 1. Anaheim coach Bruce Boudreau usually doesn't endeavor to match a specific line against another, but he made an exception for Detroit's two star scorers, ensuring Koivu, Andrew Cogliano and Daniel Winnik harassed Zetterberg and Datsyuk all night.

``Granted, (Koivu's line) probably angered those two guys,' Boudreau said. ``They had better play a lot better next game, because I'm sure those other guys are going to ramp it up a little bit.'

After years of rolling experienced, veteran teams into the playoffs, Detroit has several players getting their first postseason action. Game 1 was the NHL playoff debut for five Red Wings, including three defensemen: Brendan Smith, DeKeyser and Jakub Kindl, who took the delay-of-game penalty that led to Selanne's winning power-play goal.

The Red Wings have changed significantly with the retirement of captain Nicklas Lidstrom and the departure of fellow defenseman Brad Stuart, and the Ducks are eager to capitalize in this transition period.

``When they had Lidstrom and Stuart, their defense was more experienced,' Selanne said. ``You try to take advantage of things, what you can do, and not having to play against Lidstrom every night, it's a totally different game. Obviously, especially the playoffs, their experience helped a lot.'

Detroit coach Mike Babcock isn't worried about his newcomers' adaptation to postseason intensity, figuring it's part of the process for turning them into long-term contributors.

``I don't think you've got to get hit by a car to understand that it hurts,' he said.

Babcock hasn't decided on any lineup changes for Game 2, but if he thinks any of his younger forwards are overwhelmed by the situation, he could replace them with veterans Todd Bertuzzi and Mikael Samuelsson, both healthy after missing most of the season with injuries.

Anaheim also has a few playoff newbies - notably Cogliano, who played 458 career games before making his postseason debut in the opener. Cogliano has never missed a game in his six-year NHL career, but the speedy two-way forward already realizes the postseason is like nothing he's done before.

``The atmosphere and the intensity of the game was incredible,' Cogliano said. ``You feel like every play out there means something. I was really excited. I didn't sleep at all the night before. I didn't want my nerves or excitement to get in the way ... so it felt great to get a win.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:12 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

2013 NHL Playoff Results

May 1, 2013

NHL First Round

-- Home teams are 5-1
-- Favorites are 5-1 straight up
-- Favorites that won are 3-2 on the puck-line
-- The Under has gone 5-0-1

Away Home Score ATS Result Total Result

Tuesday, Apr. 30, 2013

Minnesota Chicago (-270) 2-1 (OT) Favorite Under (5)

Los Angeles St. Louis (-125) 2-1 (OT) Favorite Under (5)

Detroit Anaheim (-145) 3-1 Favorite Under (5)

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Toronto Boston (-180) 4-1 Favorite Push (5)

NY Islanders Pittsburgh (-220) 5-0 Favorite Under (5.5)

San Jose (+120) Vancouver 3-1 Underdog Under (5)

Thursday, May 2, 2013
Ottawa Montreal - - -
NY Rangers Washington - - -
Los Angeles St. Louis - - -
Detroit Anaheim - - -

Friday, May 3, 2013
NY Islanders Pittsburgh - - -
Ottawa Montreal - - -
Minnesota Chicago - - -
San Jose Vancouver - - -

Saturday, May 4, 2013
Toronto Boston - - -
Anaheim Detroit - - -
St. Louis Los Angeles - - -

Sunday, May 5, 2013
Pittsburgh NY Islanders - - -
Chicago Minnesota - - -
Montreal Ottawa - - -
Vancouver San Jose - - -

Monday, May 6, 2013
Boston Toronto - - -
Washington NY Rangers - - -
Anaheim Detroit - - -

Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Montreal Ottawa - - -
Chicago Minnesota - - -
Vancouver San Jose - - -

Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Boston Toronto - - -
Detroit Anaheim - - -

Thursday, May 9, 2013
Ottawa Montreal - - -
Minnesota Chicago - - -
San Jose Vancouver - - -

Friday, May 10, 2013
Toronto Boston - - -
Anaheim Detroit - - -

Saturday, May 11, 2013
Montreal Ottawa - - -
Chicago Minnesota - - -
Vancouver San Jose - - -

Sunday, May 12, 2013
Ottawa Montreal - - -
Boston Toronto - - -
Minnesota Chicago - - -
Detroit Anaheim - - -

Monday, May 13, 2013
Toronto Boston - - -
San Jose Vancouver - - -

*If Neccessary

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:15 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL
Dunkel

Detroit at Anaheim
The Red Wings look to even the series and build on their 4-0 record in their last 4 games when playing with 1 days rest. Detroit is the pick (+120) according to Dunkel, which has the Red Wings favored by 1/2 a goal. Dunkel Pick: Detroit (+120). Here are all of today's picks.

THURSDAY, MAY 2

Game 63-64: Ottawa at Montreal (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Ottawa 11.717; Montreal 12.952
Dunkel Line & Total: Montreal by 1; 4
Vegas Line & Total: Montreal (-155); 5
Dunkel Pick: Montreal (-155); Under

Game 65-66: NY Rangers at Washington (7:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: NY Rangers 12.943; Washington 11.975
Dunkel Line & Total: NY Rangers by 1; 5 1/2
Vegas Line & Total: Washington (-130); 5
Dunkel Pick: NY Rangers (+110); Over

Game 67-68: Los Angeles at St. Louis (9:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Los Angeles 11.459; St. Louis 12.020
Dunkel Line & Total: St. Louis by 1/2; 4
Vegas Line & Total: St. Louis (-120); 5
Dunkel Pick: St. Louis (-120); Under

Game 69-70: Detroit at Anaheim (10:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Detroit 11.803; Anaheim 11.695
Dunkel Line & Total: Detroit by 1/2; 5 1/2
Vegas Line & Total: Anaheim (-140); 5
Dunkel Pick: Detroit (+120); Over

NHL
Long Sheet

Thursday, May 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTTAWA (25-17-0-6, 56 pts.) at MONTREAL (29-14-0-5, 63 pts.) - 5/2/2013, 7:00 PM
Top Trends for this game.
OTTAWA is 13-7 ATS (+21.8 Units) in road games after a win by 2 goals or more over the last 2 seasons.
OTTAWA is 26-16 ATS (+42.2 Units) after scoring 4 goals or more in their previous game over the last 2 seasons.
MONTREAL is 11-22 ATS (-17.5 Units) in home games when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.

Head-to-Head Series History
MONTREAL is 10-6 (+3.4 Units) against the spread versus OTTAWA over the last 3 seasons
MONTREAL is 10-6-0 straight up against OTTAWA over the last 3 seasons
9 of 15 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+2.1 Units)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NY RANGERS (26-18-0-4, 56 pts.) at WASHINGTON (27-18-0-3, 57 pts.) - 5/2/2013, 7:30 PM
NY RANGERS are 8-17 ATS (-13.1 Units) after shutting out their opponent in their previous game over the last 3 seasons.
WASHINGTON is 27-21 ATS (+27.0 Units) in all games this season.
WASHINGTON is 27-21 ATS (-0.6 Units) second half of the season this season.
WASHINGTON is 20-34 ATS (-28.9 Units) in home games after playing 3 consecutive home games since 1996.
WASHINGTON is 12-18 ATS (-17.7 Units) in home games in the first round of the playoffs since 1996.

NY RANGERS is 12-11 (+0.1 Units) against the spread versus WASHINGTON over the last 3 seasons
NY RANGERS is 12-11-0 straight up against WASHINGTON over the last 3 seasons
10 of 15 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+4.7 Units)

LOS ANGELES (27-16-0-6, 60 pts.) at ST LOUIS (30-17-0-2, 62 pts.) - 5/2/2013, 9:30 PM
LOS ANGELES is 5-17 ATS (-13.2 Units) in a road game where where the total is 5 or less this season.
LOS ANGELES is 8-17 ATS (-10.5 Units) in road games second half of the season this season.
LOS ANGELES is 26-15 ATS (+9.7 Units) when playing against a team with a winning record in the second half of the season over the last 2 seasons.

LOS ANGELES is 10-6 (+3.0 Units) against the spread versus ST LOUIS over the last 3 seasons
LOS ANGELES is 10-6-0 straight up against ST LOUIS over the last 3 seasons
9 of 14 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+3.7 Units)

DETROIT (24-17-0-8, 56 pts.) at ANAHEIM (31-12-0-6, 68 pts.) - 5/2/2013, 10:00 PM
ANAHEIM is 31-18 ATS (+31.0 Units) in all games this season.
ANAHEIM is 31-18 ATS (+3.6 Units) second half of the season this season.
ANAHEIM is 23-10 ATS (+34.9 Units) when leading in a playoff series since 1996.

DETROIT is 8-4 (+4.4 Units) against the spread versus ANAHEIM over the last 3 seasons
DETROIT is 8-4-0 straight up against ANAHEIM over the last 3 seasons
8 of 12 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons . (Under=+3.6 Units)

NHL
Short Sheet

Thursday, May 2

Ottawa at Montreal, 7:05 ET CNBC
Ottawa: 10-4 SU away off a road win
Montreal: 9-17 SU at home off BB road wins

NY Rangers at Washington, 7:35 ET NBCSN
NY Rangers: 8-17 SU off a shutout win
Washington: 9-1 SU after winning 6 or 7 of their last 8 games

Quarterfinals, Game Two (St. Louis Leads, 1-0)
Los Angeles at St. Louis, 9:35 ET CNBC
Los Angeles: 12-3 SU after losing 2 of their last 3 games
St. Louis: 3-10 SU off 4+ wins

Quarterfinals, Game Two (Anaheim Leads, 1-0)
Detroit at Anaheim, 10:05 ET NBCSN
Detroit: 3-9 SU off BB road games
Anaheim: 23-10 SU leading in a playoff series

NHL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Thursday, May 2

Its been 20 years since proud Canadiens last hoisted Stanley Cup; in only five of those years did they even win a playoff series. Home side won last seven Ottawa-Montreal games, as Senators lost last four visits here, scoring seven goals with three one-goal losses. Its been seven years since Ottawa won playoff series (0-3 in last three first round series); they're 6-3 in last nine games overall, with their last game only one in their last eleven that went over total. Under is 5-2 in Senators' last seven visits here. This is first home game in 12 days for Canadiens, who lost three of last four home games.

Capitals won 11 of last 13 games to position themselves as one of favorites in the Eastern Conference; they've won six of last seven home games. Rangers beat Washington in seven games in LY's playoffs, with last six games all decided by a goal, Rangers winning both games that went OT; New York won two of three vs Capitals this year, with Washington winning last meeting in March. Under is 8-0-5 in last 13 series games, as all five pushes ended 3-2. Rangers are 3-3 in first round series over last 7 years; Washington is 3-2 in first round series last five years.

Defending champ Kings lost last seven road games; their last road win is March 31. LA swept Blues 4-0 in LY's playoffs, but lost Game 1 in OT, getting outshot 42-29 for game, though LA outshot Blues 10-6 in OT. Kings are still 9-4 in last 13 series games, winning four of last six here; under is 4-1-1 in their last six series games. St Louis won four in row, 13 of its last 16 games; they allowed one goal in each of last four games. Blues were 1-5 on power play in Game 1, Kings just 0-2. St Louis won its last seven home games. Under is 7-1-1 in Blues' last nine games overall.

Under is 5-0-1 in Stanley Cup playoffs so far, with San Jose only visitor to win; Detroit lost Game 1 here 3-1, giving up two power play goals while getting only 11 shots on goal in first two periods (outshot 27-22 for game). Anaheim won four of last five games, with under 8-1-1 in their last 10- Game 1 was its first home win in last four tries, and first loss for Red Wings in their last five games. Detroit split its last six visits here- they're 8-4 in last 12 games overall with Ducks. Seven of last eight Detroit games stayed under the total.

NHL

Thursday, May 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trend Report
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7:00 PM
OTTAWA vs. MONTREAL
Ottawa is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
Ottawa is 6-3 SU in its last 9 games
Montreal is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against Ottawa
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Montreal's last 10 games at home

7:30 PM
NY RANGERS vs. WASHINGTON
NY Rangers are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games when playing Washington
NY Rangers are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games
Washington is 6-3 SU in their last 9 games when playing at home against NY Rangers
Washington is 2-4 SU in their last 6 games when playing NY Rangers

9:30 PM
LOS ANGELES vs. ST. LOUIS
Los Angeles is 8-1 SU in its last 9 games when playing St. Louis
Los Angeles is 0-5 SU in its last 5 games on the road
St. Louis is 1-8 SU in its last 9 games when playing Los Angeles
St. Louis is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Los Angeles

10:00 PM
DETROIT vs. ANAHEIM
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Detroit's last 5 games on the road
The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Detroit's last 10 games when playing on the road against Anaheim
Anaheim is 4-8 SU in its last 12 games when playing Detroit
Anaheim is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:17 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NHL

Thursday, May 2

Thursday's NHL playoff action: What bettors need to know

Ottawa Senators at Montreal Canadiens (-149, 5)

The Montreal Canadiens went from worst to second-to-first in the Eastern Conference, receiving a huge assist from the Ottawa Senators en route to winning the Northeast Division title. Ottawa's victory over Boston in the regular-season finale elevated the Canadiens to the No. 2 seed and set up a first-round matchup with the seventh-seeded Senators beginning Thursday night in Montreal. It marks the first playoff matchup for the Canadian squads, who split four regular-season meetings - with each prevailing in both regulation and in a shootout on its own ice.

Balanced scoring and an infusion of youth have been keys to Montreal's turnaround, but questions abound about the defense and the play of goaltender Carey Price after the Canadiens wobbled down the stretch. Montreal lost three straight from April 13-17 - allowing 18 goals in the process - and five of six before ending the season with road wins against Winnipeg and Toronto. The Senators are the lowest-scoring team in the postseason, averaging a mere 2.33 goals, and managed a single tally in regulation in fourth consecutive games before a four-goal outburst against the Bruins. Much will hinge on the play of netminder Craig Anderson, but the return of star defenseman Erik Karlsson from a torn Achilles is a huge boost for Ottawa.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, CNBC, CBC

ABOUT THE SENATORS (25-17-6): Anderson missed six weeks due to a sprained ankle but led the league in goals-against average (1.69) and save percentage (.941) despite dropping three of his last four starts. "The way we've been playing, and the goaltending we've been getting all year, it gives you confidence," Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson said. Ottawa owned the league's best penalty-killing unit even though Anderson and Karlsson were sidelined for lengthy stretches. Karlsson was not expected back following his injury in mid-February, but he had four points in three games since returning and amassed 78 points last season on his way to winning the Norris Trophy. Milan Michalek, a 35-goal scorer last season, also missed more than a month and had only four goals.

ABOUT THE CANADIENS (29-14-5): Price is 14-5-3 lifetime against Ottawa but he had a string of ugly performances in the final month, giving up 28 goals over seven appearances. He won his final start at Winnipeg and coach Michel Therrien expressed little concern over his play. “I have no doubts about Carey Price," Therrien said. "He’s our best player and I’m confident he will be again on Thursday night.” Montreal had five players with at least 30 points and 10 with as many as 20, led by Max Pacioretty with 15 goals and 24 assists. P.K. Subban was second on the team with 38 points and provided a lethal pairing with fellow defenseman Andrei Markov, combining for 15 goals on the power play. The Canadiens need to plug some leaks in their penalty kill after permitting 11 goals in 36 short-handed situations to end the season.

TRENDS:

* Home team is 7-0 in the last seven meetings.
* Senators are 0-4 in the last four meetings in Montreal.
* Senators are 5-12 in their last 17 Conference Quarterfinals games.
* Canadiens are 1-4 in their last five Conference Quarterfinals games.

OVERTIME:

1. Ottawa was among the league's best home teams all season before dropping its final three, while the Canadiens posted a stellar 15-7-2 road mark.

2. Montreal has won 60 of 74 postseason series when opening the set at home.

3. The Senators surrendered only 104 goals, second-fewest among playoff teams behind the Chicago Blackhawks.

New York Rangers at Washington Capitals (-123, 5)

The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals certainly aren't strangers to one another. The sixth-seeded Rangers and Southeast Division champion Capitals will meet in the postseason for the fourth time in five years when they open their Eastern Conference first-round series at the Verizon Center on Thursday. New York outlasted Washington last season in a thrilling seven-game series to advance to the conference finals before getting upended by New Jersey.

The Rangers, who posted a 2-0-1 mark versus the third-seeded Capitals in 2013, finished the season on a 10-3-1 surge. While New York's mark in April was impressive, Washington posted a sensational 11-1-1 record - thanks in large part to captain Alex Ovechkin. The Russian dynamo scored 14 goals in the month to help him capture his third Maurice Richard Trophy.

TV: 7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN, MSG (New York), CSN (Washington)

ABOUT THE RANGERS (26-18-4): While the teams have grown accustomed to meeting in the postseason, Rick Nash isn't too familiar with the playoffs. Nash played in just four games in 2009 when Columbus qualified for the postseason for the first - and only - time in franchise history. "I haven't had the biggest amount of (pressure) on me," Nash told Newsday. "We'll find out. It's something that all great athletes have done. It's time to step up now." Nash, who led the Rangers with 21 goals, notched three assists against the Capitals this season.

ABOUT THE CAPITALS (27-18-3): While New York has reigning Vezina Trophy winner Henrik Lundqvist between the pipes, Washington's Braden Holtby enjoyed a fine season in his own right. The 23-year-old, who was solid against the Rangers in the playoffs, won nine of his last 10 starts in 2013 to finish with a 23-12-1 mark. Defenseman Mike Green also ended the campaign with a flurry, collecting two goals and five assists in his final four games. Green led all NHL blue-liners with 12 goals.

TRENDS:

* Under is 10-3-8 in the last 21 meetings.
* Under is 18-6-2 in the last 26 meetings in Washington.
* Home team is 5-2 in the last seven meetings.

OVERTIME:

1. After being held off the scoresheet in his first two encounters against New York, Ovechkin recorded a goal and an assist in Washington's 3-2 shootout win on March 24.

2. Rangers C Brian Boyle (right leg) and LW Ryane Clowe (head) did not practice on Wednesday. They traveled with the team but are questionable to play in Game 1.

3. New York C Brad Richards, who finished the season on a six-game point streak, had a goal and two assists versus Washington.

Los Angeles Kings at St. Louis Blues (-117, 5)

St. Louis leads series 1-0.

Jonathan Quick gets the chance to redeem himself Thursday as the fifth-seeded Los Angeles Kings attempt to even their Western Conference first-round series at one game apiece when they visit the fourth-seeded St. Louis Blues. Quick was brilliant for over 73 minutes in Game 1, stopping 40 of 41 shots before making an egregious puckhandling mistake in overtime that led to Alex Steen's game-winning short-handed goal at 13:26. The heartbreaking loss ended the Kings' eight-game winning streak against the Blues that included a sweep in last year's second-round postseason series.

Steen was the offensive hero for St. Louis, which outshot Los Angeles 24-13 over the first two periods. After opening the scoring with a power-play goal in the first period, Steen forced Quick to turn over the puck behind the net during a four-minute man advantage for the Kings and tucked in a backhander near the left post for the winner. Steen entered the series having recorded just one goal in 13 career playoff games.

TV: 9:30 p.m. ET, CNBC, CBC, FSN Midwest (St. Louis)

ABOUT THE KINGS: Defenseman Matt Greene skated during Wednesday's optional practice but is not expected to be in the lineup for Game 2. Greene missed the regular-season finale and the series opener with an undisclosed injury. Fellow blue-liner Robyn Regehr proved his toughness Tuesday as he missed only a few shifts after suffering a broken nose when he was hit in the face by Blues captain David Backes' skate. "I think the first skate came in and the blade barely missed me," said Regehr, who left a pool of blood on the ice. "And then the second (skate), I just kind of got hit by the back of the heel. I was very lucky I didn't get sliced."

ABOUT THE BLUES: While Steen took care of the scoring, Brian Elliott stood tall in net for St. Louis. Elliott made 28 saves en route to his seventh consecutive home victory. He has allowed one goal in each the triumphs. Ryan Reaves made the most of his 9:20 of ice time, dishing out a game-high nine hits. Three of the hits came in the first 5:23 of the contest, including two in an 11-second span. "I was a little out of position, kind of running around like an idiot for a couple seconds," the right wing said. "I think I had to get the crowd into it early and send that message."

TRENDS:

* Kings are 8-1 in the last nine meetings.
* Kings are 4-1 in the last five meetings in St. Louis.
* Under is 9-3-2 in the last 14 meetings in St. Louis.
* Under is 9-4-2 in the last 15 meetings.

OVERTIME:

1. Blues rookie RW Vladimir Tarasenko, who failed to score a goal over his final 15 games of the regular season, was a healthy scratch in Game 1.

2. Los Angeles C Anze Kopitar is expected to remain on a line with Jeff Carter and Dustin Penner instead of being reunited with captain Dustin Brown. Kopitar has gone 17 games without a goal.

3. St. Louis won 64 percent of the faceoffs in Game 1, with C Andy McDonald winning eight of his nine draws.

Detroit Red Wings at Anaheim Ducks (-137, 5)

Anaheim leads series 1-0.

The seventh-seeded Detroit Red Wings will need to either improve on the penalty kill or stay out of the box if they hope to even their Western Conference first-round series against the second-seeded Anaheim Ducks at one game apiece on Thursday. Detroit allowed two power-play goals in Game 1 on Tuesday, including one by Teemu Selanne just 89 seconds into the third period that snapped a 1-1 tie. The Red Wings also must pull the trigger more often as they registered only 11 shots on goal over the first two periods before matching that total in the third of the 3-1 loss.

Anaheim opened the scoring midway through the first period on Nick Bonino's power-play goal, which was his first tally in five career postseason contests. Jonas Hiller made Selanne's goal stand by stopping all 11 third-period shots he faced and defenseman Francois Beauchemin sealed the win with an empty-netter in the final minute. The Pacific Division champion Ducks are looking to even things up as they lost three of the first five playoff series between the teams.

TV: 10 p.m. ET, NBCSN, TSN, RDS, FSN (Detroit), Prime Ticket (Anaheim)

ABOUT THE RED WINGS: Right wing Todd Bertuzzi, who has not played since Feb. 7 due to a sore back, has been medically cleared - but was kept out of the lineup in Game 1. Bertuzzi has recorded 14 goals and 42 points in 80 career postseason contests. Detroit had five players make their playoff debuts Tuesday, a fact coach Mike Babcock believes put his team at a disadvantage. "I don't think you have to get hit by a car to understand that it hurts," Babcock said. "I think they're aware of the fact that there is going to be more intensity, but sometimes just being involved helps you out."

ABOUT THE DUCKS: Selanne may be heating up at just the right time. The 42-year-old Finn scored only one goal in eight games before tallying in the regular-season finale against the Phoenix Coyotes, then netted his 42nd career playoff goal in Game 1. Hiller, Beauchemin, Saku Koivu and defensemen Sheldon Souray and Toni Lydman were the only Ducks who did not participate in Wednesday's optional practice. Bonino admitted scoring his first playoff goal had a different feeling than netting his initial regular-season tally. "This is kind of a whole different animal," he said. "To do it in front of a packed house like that (at the Honda Center) is something I'll always remember."

TRENDS:

* Under is 8-2 in the last 10 meetings in Anaheim.
* Under is 11-4 in the last 15 meetings.
* Home team is 39-16-1 in the last 56 meetings.

OVERTIME:

1. Selanne has scored 10 of his 42 career playoff goals against Detroit.

2. The Red Wings have lost six straight series openers that have taken place on the road.

3. Ducks C Andrew Cogliano made his playoff debut in Game 1 after playing in 458 consecutive regular-season contests.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-02-13 04:17 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

05/01/13 3-_2-_1 60.00% +_600 Detail

Totals 3-_2-_1 60.00% +600

Thursday, May 2

Ottawa - 7:00 PM ET Ottawa +134 500 POD # 2
Montreal - Over 5 500

NY Rangers - 7:30 PM ET NY Rangers +120 500 POD # 1
Washington - Over 5 500 POD # 4

Los Angeles - 9:30 PM ET St. Louis -125 500
St. Louis - Under 5 500

Detroit - 10:00 PM ET Anaheim -137 500
Anaheim - Over 5 500 POD # 3

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-03-13 12:24 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Senators (0-0) at Canadiens (0-0)

Date: May 03, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

Craig Anderson may be the favorite to win the Vezina Trophy had he not missed extended time in the regular season due to injury, though the Ottawa Senators are more than happy he's around for the playoffs.

After a stellar performance helped Ottawa steal home-ice advantage, Anderson leads his team into Game 2 of its Eastern Conference quarterfinal series Friday night against the Montreal Canadiens, who will be without Lars Eller after he was the recipient of a brutal hit in Game 1.

Montreal set a team record for a regulation playoff game by putting 50 shots on goal, but Anderson stopped 48 in a 4-2 victory Thursday. It marked the fifth time in his career Anderson made at least 48 saves and second time in the playoffs.

"What can you say? Andy's our MVP," defenseman Marc Methot said. "He's a machine back there. He just keeps going and going. We're lucky to have him in the net."

Anderson was 8-4-2 with a 1.49 goals-against average when he suffered a sprained right ankle against the New York Rangers on Feb. 21 that kept him sidelined until April 7. He finished with an NHL-best 1.69 GAA, but his injury could keep him from winning any major awards.

Anderson has stopped 109 of 114 shots in three games this season versus Montreal. The Senators trailed 2-1 entering the third period Thursday, but Anderson turned away nine shots.

"You just have to give your team an opportunity to stay in the game and win," Anderson said. "We went from having no momentum in the second and taking momentum back in the third."

Methot, Jakob Silfverberg and Erik Karlsson - playing in his fourth game since returning from a torn Achilles - each had a goal and an assist for the sixth-seeded Senators, who are hoping for a better postseason result after falling in seven games to the Rangers in last year's first round.

Ottawa, though, could be without defenseman Eric Gryba in Game 2 after he received a five-minute interference penalty and game misconduct for an open-ice hit Thursday that left Eller bleeding before he was taken off on a stretcher.

Gryba may receive disciplinary action for the hit as Eller suffered a concussion, plus facial and dental fractures as he reached for a pass from Raphael Diaz.

"I stepped up to make a hit. I kept my shoulder down. He received the puck by the time I hit him," Gryba said. "I saw the replay. My elbow was down and there was no intent to hurt him whatsoever and I hope that he's OK. I'm not out here to hurt anybody and it's never good to seeing anything like that.

"I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery."

Montreal coach Michel Therrien decided to leave the subject alone.

"I can't comment," he said.

The third-seeded Canadiens, who got goals from Rene Bourque and Brendan Gallagher, have lost four of five at home dating to the regular season. They've also dropped four of their last five home playoff contests.

"We played a good game and we deserved a better result," Therrien said. "I'm proud of our team. But the story of the game was Anderson. He was extraordinary."

Carey Price, who went 2-6-0 with a 4.18 GAA over his last eight regular-season appearances, made 27 saves in Game 1. Price entered this series 3-12-0 with a 3.16 GAA in his last 15 playoff starts.

The Canadiens had won four straight home games versus Ottawa.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-03-13 06:48 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Islanders (0-0) at Penguins (0-0)

Date: May 03, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Budding New York Islanders star John Tavares anticipated the open space he found so easily during the regular season to be whittled away by the Pittsburgh Penguins in their opening-round playoff series.

He never thought it would disappear entirely.

The Penguins held the NHL's third-leading goal scorer without a shot during their remarkably easy 5-0 victory in Game 1 on Wednesday, the first time all year Tavares failed to get at least one puck on the net.

Nobody ever said this whole Quest for the Cup thing would be easy, kid.

``It's part of the playoffs to be physical on me,' Tavares said. ``Sometimes that gets you going, gets the blood going, gets you a little (ticked) off.'

Harassed at every turn and dropped on his backside more than once, Tavares skated through 17:03 of fruitless ice time against a team intent on showing it's serious about its defense after getting embarrassed in a first-round loss to Philadelphia a year ago.

Marc-Andre Fleury turned aside all 26 shots he faced for his sixth career playoff shutout and the Penguins continued to dominate the Islanders at home. Pittsburgh has allowed just one goal to the Islanders in the last 10 periods played at Consol Energy Center, outscoring the Islanders 14-1 over that span.

Keep it going for another three periods in Game 2 on Friday and the Penguins will have a commanding 2-0 lead. Pittsburgh hasn't lost a series when it won the first two games since 2000 against Philadelphia.

Not that the Penguins are getting ahead of themselves. Coach Dan Bylsma has ordered his players to wear T-shirts with the number ``4' on them to serve as a reminder on how many victories it takes to advance to the next round. As dominant as Pittsburgh looked in the opener even with captain Sidney Crosby sidelined with a broken jaw, it was just one game.

``It was a great start, but it's just a start,' forward Brenden Morrow said.

One that seemed to check off all the things the Penguins need to do over the next two months if they want to bookend the Cup they won in 2009.

Pittsburgh's third line of Morrow, Brandon Sutter and Matt Cooke shut down New York's top line of Tavares, Matt Moulson and Brad Boyes. The power play scored twice. Pascal Dupuis - who normally flanks Crosby - punched in a couple of rebounds. Fleury showed no ill effects of last year's meltdown against the Flyers. Newly acquired Jarome Iginla dished out two assists and cracked New York goaltender Evgeni Nabokov's mask with a heavy slap shot from the point in the first period that left Nabokov temporarily dazed.

It was as complete a performance as the Penguins could have expected with their best player watching from the press box. Crosby's return remains uncertain, and in a way his absence has only brought Pittsburgh's vastly improved defense into focus.

The Flyers lit the Penguins up for 30 goals in six games last spring, many of them highlight-worthy. It led to a needed change in mindset for the Penguins, who had grown overly reliant on their breathtaking playmaking at the expense of playing responsibly on the other end of the ice.

The unnecessary risks Pittsburgh took to generate scoring opportunities have vanished. The forwards are backchecking and the defensemen have become more proficient at winning the little battles in front of the net.

The addition of hulking Douglas Murray at the trade deadline helped. So did the acquisition of Morrow, who took turns shadowing Tavares with Cooke.

``They're going to play tough and physical and they can grind down a team on the forecheck,' Bylsma said. ``It makes for a gritty, tough group.'

An image that doesn't exactly fit with the one the Penguins have projected during the Crosby Era. Any concerns Pittsburgh was too soft to make a run at the Cup were dispelled in the opener when defenseman Kris Letang and Tavares found themselves sprinting toward a puck behind the Penguins' net.

Letang is one of the fastest players in the league. Yet rather than outsprint Tavares to the puck, he hesitated just a second and knocked Tavares on the ground before going on his way. It didn't matter that Letang turned it over before he got to center ice. The message had been sent.

``Sacrifices have to be made,' Tavares said. ``Winning isn't easy. It's going to hurt a little bit. You're going to have to battle through a lot of things and we have to make sure we establish our game a little bit more, play a little quicker and not get caught up in stuff that's going on.'

Not if the Islanders want to extend their first playoff appearance since 2007 beyond four games. Yet rather than panic or punish his players for a subpar performance, New York coach Jack Capuano kept things loose on Thursday. The team's short 45-minute skate was short on tactics and long on laughter.

``You can see the emotion that they had today, the fun they had today,' Capuano said. ``You have to enjoy this ride. There's going to be surges, there's going to be momentum (switches). You need to make sure that the guys stay relaxed.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-03-13 06:50 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Wild (0-0) at Blackhawks (0-0)

Date: May 03, 2013 9:30 PM EDT

CHICAGO (AP) - The Minnesota Wild got a terrific effort from Josh Harding in a tough spot. Ryan Suter helped Minnesota keep Chicago's high-powered attack in check, and the Wild still lost Game 1 to the Blackhawks.

The problem for Minnesota is the same one Chicago presented all season long to the rest of the NHL, and it could become even more important as the series moves forward.

The Blackhawks are so deep that it's tough to keep track of everyone.

Take the overtime goal in Tuesday night's playoff opener, which went to Chicago's third line. Or the ice time on the score sheet, which showed a pretty even distribution for the Blackhawks compared to an astounding 41 minutes for Suter and 34 for fellow Wild defenseman Jonas Brodin.

``Every shift's critical, and it's important that you hold up your end of the bargain,' Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said Wednesday. ``Your depth's going to get challenged and I think we found out all year it was one of the strengths of our team. This year, in the playoffs, I don't think that's changed at all, maybe it would even be that much more important.'

Minnesota's depth was challenged when goalie Niklas Backstrom was scratched with a leg injury after he hurt himself while reaching for a puck as he warmed up for Game 1. Harding, who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis diagnosis last summer and played in just five games this season, responded with 35 saves.

``To not expect to play and halfway through warm-ups you find you have to play, to flip that switch, that's a tough thing,' Suter said. ``I thought he did great. That's a lot of pressure on a guy to come in and perform, and he did. Hopefully, he continues to have great success like he had.'

Backstrom and right wing Jason Pominville are day to day, according to coach Mike Yeo. Pominville missed the last two games of the regular season after he was elbowed in the chin by Dustin Brown of the Los Angeles Kings.

That means Harding could be in the net again for Game 2 on Friday night at the United Center, a week after he replaced an ineffective Backstrom and allowed three goals himself in a 6-1 loss to Edmonton that nearly cost the Wild a playoff spot.

``I was anxious for a lot of reasons to see him have a chance to bounce back,' Yeo said. ``He was thrown into a tough situation in that Edmonton game and if you know Josh, he's a competitor and I'm sure he was looking for an opportunity to get back in there, too. Obviously he wasn't expecting it to happen like that. You've got confidence in the guys that are in your room.'

The Blackhawks rolled to an NHL-best 36-7-5 record this season, winning the Presidents' Trophy for the first time in 32 years and raising the expectations for a second championship in four years. Nine players had at least 20 points, helping Chicago to 149 goals - second only to high-scoring Pittsburgh.

Beyond Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, rookie Brandon Saad and speedy Viktor Stalberg are all capable scorers. Bryan Bickell and Dave Bolland came up with a handful of big plays this year. Defensemen Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Niklas Hjalmarsson can contribute on both sides of the ice.

Thanks to all that depth, Chicago kept winning even when injuries popped and forced Quenneville to shuffle the lines a bit. Bolland and goalie Ray Emery, who have been out with lower body injuries, could practice on Thursday, but Quenneville was uncertain about their availability for Game 2.

From the stars to the role players, the Blackhawks have received contributions up and down the roster this season. And they think it could make a difference as the series wears on against the Wild.

``That's supposed to be one of those advantages we have as a team, that if the game goes late like it did last night, that we still have a lot of energy,' Toews said. ``We still have a lot of legs and we can keep going and rely on whoever it is to score that overtime goal. It doesn't really matter who gets the job done. We'll find ways to wear teams down.'

The overtime goal in Game 1 went to Bickell, who went to his backhand to slide the puck between Harding's legs for the score. Defenseman Johnny Oduya helped set up the winning play with a long pass to Stalberg, who found Bickell in the middle of the ice.

That was the very end of Minnesota's first playoff appearance in five years, but the Wild remain confident.

``What if we score the overtime winner? What's the story today?' Yeo said. ``Are they saying what a great job that our top line did and how their top line needs to find more, because 5-on-5 they didn't have much either. And that's one important thing to remember. The difference in the game was we scored one 5-on-5 goal, and they scored one 5-on-5 goal, and they got one power play (goal) and we didn't.'

---

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-03-13 06:51 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Sharks (0-0) at Canucks (0-0)

Date: May 03, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - After a loss in Game 1, coach Alain Vigneault is looking for more offense from the Canucks.

``I need more from the whole team,' Vigneault said after a short practice Thursday. ``There's no doubt there. All our players understand we have to get better and we're going to get better.'

Vancouver's only goal in Wednesday's 3-1 series-opening loss came after Sharks winger Raffi Torres inadvertently put the puck in San Jose's net.

Game 2 of the series is Friday night.

Vigneault is looking for his team to put more pressure on Sharks goalie Antti Niemi. Vancouver's best chances came mainly from outside in Game 1, and the coach wants his players to move the puck up ice and crash the net.

``Our players, in my mind, are battled tested, they're pressure tested,' Vigneault said. ``At the end of the day, it's about making plays. We need to make more plays. We need to make more plays out of our end to get through that neutral zone better.

``At this time of year, goals that are scored five on five are usually on second, third and fourth efforts - battles in front of the nets - and we need to do a better job there.'

Vancouver goaltender Roberto Luongo, who will start again as Cory Schneider continues to recover from an undisclosed injury suffered late in the regular season, said the Canucks also have to do a better job of getting the puck out of their zone and forechecking.

``We need to be a bit more assertive on our forecheck, break the puck out cleaner, whether that exchanges with myself and the D-men or D-men with forwards,' Luongo said. ``Communication is really key in situations like that. Just sharpen up in general.'

Henrik and Daniel Sedin also want to see the Canucks improve their forecheck after they remained winless in four matchups with San Jose, including three in the regular season. After the Game 1 loss, the twins said the Sharks were able to move the puck out of their zone with ease.

In another potential shakeup, the Canucks recalled forward Brendan Gaunce, the team's first-round pick, 26th overall, in the 2012 draft.

The Canucks played a dump-and-chase game in Game 1 that might be adjusted in Game 2.

Sharks captain Joe Thornton and coach Todd McLellan said the Canucks came at them with a heavy forecheck, notably in the first period, but the visitors were able to adjust. Strategy aside, the Sharks are expecting the Canucks to display much more intensity Friday.

``You've got to think they're going to come out (thinking) do-or-die next game,' Thornton said. ``I expect their best effort - and I expect our best, too.'

The Canucks have struggled at home in the playoffs though. The hosts will attempt to end a five-game home playoff losing streak that stretches back to the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.

But Vancouver's recent home record shows it could recover quickly at Rogers Arena. The Canucks won eight of their last nine regular season games at home.

Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle doesn't expect the Canucks to feel overly pressured at home, because they'll realize one loss does not automatically end their Stanley Cup hopes.

Vigneault wants his team's leaders to stress that point, too, while realizing the importance of the games.

``They're all must wins in the playoffs,' Vigneault said. ``Playoffs is a different animal. The leadership group has to come in and make sure everybody is on an even keel, whether we win or lose and realize this is not a sprint. It's a long series. We know it wasn't going to be easy.'

McLellan, whose club lost the Western Conference finals to Vancouver in 2011, believes that another win will put his club in good shape before the series shifts to San Jose for Games 3 and 4.

``Coming home with one (win) in the bank is good, but coming home with two in the bank is excellent - and that'll be the goal,' McLellan said.

Notes: The Canucks signed D Henrik Tommernes to an entry-level contract. ... McLellan declined to discuss F Martin Havlat's status for Game 2, other than to say he received treatment Thursday. Havlat left Game 1 after the first period. ... Vigneault defended the effort of F Ryan Kesler, who did little offensively in the first game after missing the morning skate. Kesler, Derek Roy and Chris Higgins were reunited in practice after being separated in Game 1. They excelled together late in the regular season. ... Vigneault declined to say whether Schneider has suffered a setback in his recovery. ... Thornton said he and F Logan Couture cheated on faceoffs in the first game, but Henrik Sedin and Kesler did likewise.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-03-13 06:53 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

2013 NHL Playoff Results

May 3, 2013

NHL First Round

-- Home teams are 7-3
-- Favorites are 7-3 straight up
-- Favorites that won are 4-3 on the puck-line
-- The Under has gone 7-2-1

Away Home Score ATS Result Total Result

Tuesday, Apr. 30, 2013

Minnesota Chicago (-270) 2-1 (OT) Favorite Under (5)

Los Angeles St. Louis (-125) 2-1 (OT) Favorite Under (5)

Detroit Anaheim (-145) 3-1 Favorite Under (5)

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Toronto Boston (-180) 4-1 Favorite Push (5)

NY Islanders Pittsburgh (-220) 5-0 Favorite Under (5.5)

San Jose (+120) Vancouver 3-1 Underdog Under (5)

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Ottawa (+125) Montreal 4-2 Underdog Over (5)

NY Rangers Washington (-130) 3-1 Favorite Under (5)

Los Angeles St. Louis (-130) 2-1 Favorite Under (5)

Detroit (+120) Anaheim 5-4 (OT) Underdog Over (5)

Friday, May 3, 2013
Ottawa Montreal - - -
Minnesota Chicago - - -
San Jose Vancouver - - -

Saturday, May 4, 2013
Toronto Boston - - -
Anaheim Detroit - - -

Sunday, May 5, 2013
Chicago Minnesota - - -
Montreal Ottawa - - -
Vancouver San Jose - - -

Monday, May 6, 2013
Boston Toronto - - -
Anaheim Detroit - - -

Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Montreal Ottawa - - -
Chicago Minnesota - - -
Vancouver San Jose - - -

Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Boston Toronto - - -
Detroit Anaheim - - -

Thursday, May 9, 2013
Ottawa Montreal - - -
Minnesota Chicago - - -
San Jose Vancouver - - -

Friday, May 10, 2013
Toronto Boston - - -
Anaheim Detroit - - -

Saturday, May 11, 2013
Montreal Ottawa - - -
Chicago Minnesota - - -
Vancouver San Jose - - -

Sunday, May 12, 2013
Ottawa Montreal - - -
Boston Toronto - - -
Minnesota Chicago - - -
Detroit Anaheim - - -

Monday, May 13, 2013
Toronto Boston - - -
San Jose Vancouver - - -

*If Neccessary

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-03-13 02:26 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Date WLT Pct Net Units Record

05/02/13 5-_3-_0 62.50% +_935 Detail
05/01/13 3-_2-_1 60.00% +_600 Detail

Totals 8-_5-_1 61.54% +1535

Friday, May 3

NY Islanders 1 1st 9:23 Pittsburgh -224 500
Pittsburgh 3 Over 5.5 500

Ottawa 0 1st 9:37 Ottawa +120 500
Montreal 0 Over 5 500

Minnesota - 9:30 PM ET Chicago -238 500
Chicago - Under 5 500

San Jose - 10:00 PM ET Vancouver -130 500
Vancouver - Under 5 500

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-04-13 01:35 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Rangers (0-0) at Capitals (0-0)

Date: May 04, 2013 12:30 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) - A year ago, the Washington Capitals played a defense-first brand of hockey under coach Dale Hunter.

Nearly all of their playoff games were decided by one goal.

Alex Ovechkin's ice time dwindled.

And their postseason ended with a Game 7 loss to the New York Rangers in the second round.

On Thursday night, the Capitals opened this year's playoffs against - who else? - the Rangers, using first-time NHL head coach Adam Oates' more free-flowing style and a re-energized Ovechkin to produce a 3-1 victory.

``We play more well-rounded now,' Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner said. ``We have guys that can score goals and are allowed to go up there and do their thing. There's really no reins on anybody. At the same time, they know what their defensive responsibilities are.'

Ovechkin's franchise-record 31st career playoff goal got Washington started before less-heralded teammates Marcus Johansson and Jason Chimera scored 46 seconds apart, while Braden Holtby made 35 saves to outplay New York's Henrik Lundqvist.

Game 2 of the best-of-seven series is Saturday in Washington. It's the third consecutive season these two teams are facing each other in the playoffs and the fourth time in five years.

After starting 0 for 3 in extra-man situations Thursday and trailing - ``We feel, like, a little bit maybe nervous,' Ovechkin explained - the Capitals got a big boost when their captain put the puck in the net on their fourth power play.

When Washington defenseman Mike Green sent the puck past the net nearly seven minutes into the second period, it ricocheted off the boards and right to a charging Ovechkin, who flipped the puck past Lundqvist to make it 1-1.

``Kind of a lucky bounce,' two-time league MVP Ovechkin acknowledged, ``but I'll take it.'

Carl Hagelin had put sixth-seeded New York ahead 1-0 in the first period - the only puck that made it past Holtby.

``We kind of hung him out to dry once or twice,' Capitals forward Troy Brouwer said about the second-year goalie, ``and he helped us out with some huge stops.'

Washington is playing a livelier brand of hockey under Oates, a Hockey Hall of Fame forward who shifted Ovechkin from left wing to right wing and helped design the Capitals' league-best power play. Oates also is not as apt to demand that his players sit back and protect a lead, the way his predecessor did.

And perhaps the Capitals' aggressiveness helped accumulate all of those power plays Thursday.

The Rangers drew six minor penalties, matching their regular-season high.

``Against a power play like that, if you're killing that much, eventually they're going to capitalize,' Rangers captain Ryan Callahan said. ``They've got enough talent out there to do that, and we've just got to stay out of the box.'

Coach John Tortorella agreed, saying: ``We can't take that many penalties. ... Hopefully we'll discipline ourselves in the next game.'

Only 33 seconds after New York's Arron Asham was whistled for an illegal check to the head, Ovechkin broke his tie with Peter Bondra for most postseason goals by a Washington player. Ovechkin slammed his shoulder into the glass to celebrate, and chants of ``M-V-P!' cascaded from the red-clad fans in the stands.

Ovechkin put his name in that conversation by scoring 22 times in the last 21 games to collect his third Maurice ``Rocket' Richard Trophy - first since 2009 - and propel Washington to the Southeast Division title.

That goal energized the Capitals. So did wiping away a 5-on-3 chance the Rangers had for nearly a minute in the second period.

``Big kill,' Oates said.

Shortly after that power play ended, Capitals rookie defenseman Steve Oleksy - who got hit on his left jawline by a puck later in the second period - sent a pass about 80 feet down the middle of the ice and between Rangers defensemen Dan Girardi and Ryan McDonagh to set up Johansson.

``I didn't know Steve had that club in his bag,' Washington forward Eric Fehr joked. ``But he made a great pass, and JoJo made a good shot.'

Johansson collected the puck at the blue line and beat Lundqvist at the 14:21 mark to make it 2-1.

``We've got to know the guy's behind us,' Girardi said. ``That's not really acceptable.'

It was Chimera's turn less than a minute later, when he took a pass from Mathieu Perreault, spun around near the boards and put the hosts ahead 3-1. That led to mocking choruses of ``Luuuundqvist' from spectators.

``Anytime you kill a 5-on-3, especially in playoffs, the momentum goes the other way, for sure,' said Chimera, who's scored six of his eight career playoff goals against the Rangers. ``If they get a goal, they're feeling it. If we get a kill, obviously the crowd gets into it or we get into it. Everyone's pumped up.'

Notes: The Rangers were 13-0-1 when leading after the first period during the regular season. ... Capitals RW Joel Ward returned to action after missing the last nine regular-season games with a bruised left knee. ... The Rangers were without injured LW Ryane Clowe, C Brian Boyle and D Marc Staal.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-04-13 08:11 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Maple Leafs (0-0) at Bruins (0-0)

Date: May 04, 2013 7:00 PM EDT

BOSTON (AP) - Claude Julien had no choice.

The Bruins coach was forced to juggle his defense when Andrew Ference was suspended.

Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle could have kept things the same, but that wouldn't have been wise.

Not after Boston dominated Toronto 4-1 in the first game of their series.

Not after his players were outshot 40-20.

And certainly not after they kept committing turnovers and having trouble getting the puck out of their zone.

``We'll have some changes,' Carlyle said after practice on Friday for Game 2 on Saturday night. ``What we've tried to do is just try to up the tempo of moving the puck.'

Did that message at practice get through?

``Of course, I think it's gotten through,' he said, ``but the results are what's going to determine whether it has or hasn't.'

The loss of Ference, a 13-year veteran and part of Boston's second defensive pairing, is a setback.

The NHL suspended him for one game for elbowing Mikhail Grabovski in the head near the boards midway through the first period Wednesday night.

One possible replacement is Dougie Hamilton, who has had a strong rookie season but was a healthy scratch for the last three regular-season games and the first playoff game. He was drafted in the first round in 2011 with a pick acquired when the Bruins traded Phil Kessel to the Maple Leafs in September 2009.

``I grew up watching the playoffs and dreaming about playing in the playoffs,' Hamilton said. ``Hopefully, I can bring some intensity.'

Ference didn't think his absence would be costly.

``Guys will step right in and it'll be no problem,' he said. ``Whether it's an injury or something like this, guys step up and do the job.'

During practice on Friday, Julien broke up his top pairing of Zdeno Chara and Dennis Seidenberg. Chara skated with Adam McQuaid, Seidenberg was with Johnny Boychuk, and Hamilton was paired with Wade Redden, who had a goal and an assist Wednesday night.

Julien wouldn't say he'd use that setup on Saturday or even that Hamilton would play.

``He might be a young player for the playoffs, but to me at this stage and the amount of games he's played, he's a veteran,' Julien said. ``We don't look at guys necessarily as rookies. We look at them as young players. But he's a young player that's probably going to be playing his first game, if not tomorrow, soon.'

Carlyle wasn't relying on Boston's loss of a key defenseman to solve his team's problems, not when the Bruins have capable players to fill Ference's role.

``They're going to be looking for those guys to make it a seamless transition,' Carlyle said. ``Obviously, Ference plays a lot of minutes. He's one of their leaders. Again, it's a team game. It's not one individual that can win or lose a hockey game.'

For the Maple Leafs, it was a team performance that lost in the club's first postseason game since 2004. After James van Riemsdyk put them ahead 1-0 on a power play 1:54 into the game, they had few solid chances.

The problems began in their defensive zone.

``The main thing for us is just being a little calmer in our own end and making better plays in getting it out,' forward Tyler Bozak said.

Defenseman Mike Kostka broke a finger in the game and is expected to be sidelined on Saturday. Jake Gardiner could fill that vacancy.

But Toronto's defense also has to worry about stopping four lines that all played well in the opener after some inconsistency late in the regular season.

``That's the way we do it,' said right wing Nathan Horton, who scored the go-ahead goal with 12 seconds left in the first period of the opener.

``Claude, he plays four lines. Everybody plays and whether you play a little bit less, for the most part everybody plays. I think that's why we're such a good team and guys can get a break and they can really work hard during their shift.'

Boston led 2-1 after one period and David Krejci and Boychuk scored in the second against James Reimer. The goalie, like 14 of his teammates, was making his playoff debut.

The Maple Leafs are ``a pretty inexperienced group,' Bozak said. ``There might have been a few nerves there.'

The Bruins, with 17 players from the team that won the Stanley Cup two years ago, were much more poised.

``It doesn't matter to me what the Leafs do. What matters to me is what we do,' Julien said. ``That's what I plan on doing, keeping the focus on our team.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-04-13 08:13 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Ducks (0-0) at Red Wings (0-0)

Date: May 04, 2013 7:30 PM EDT

ROMULUS, Mich. (AP) - The Detroit Red Wings had a setback during their series-evening victory at Anaheim.

Detroit defenseman Danny DeKeyser broke his right thumb in the third period of the 5-4 overtime win in Game 2 on Thursday night, and is out for rest of the playoffs.

DeKeyser signed with the Red Wings on March 29, soon after finishing his college career at Western Michigan.

``It was a big loss and it's hard to believe a kid out of college would be a big loss, but he is,' Detroit coach Mike Babcock said Friday night after stepping off the team plane.

Babcock has said the Red Wings wouldn't have rallied for a spot in a 22nd straight postseason without DeKeyser.

Now, they have to try to advance without him on the blue line.

Babcock is putting another rookie in the lineup, Brian Lashoff, instead of one of two veterans, Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo.

``He's smart, knows how to play and competes hard,' Babcock said. ``He makes a good first pass and he's a good penalty-killer.'

Detroit blew a three-goal lead in the third period of Game 2 against the Ducks, who sent the game to an overtime that ended quickly. Gustav Nyquist scored a power-play goal 1:21 in the period.

The seventh-seeded Red Wings hope home ice is an advantage against second-seeded Anaheim that helps them take a 2-1 lead in the first-round series Saturday night in Game 3.

``If you would've been in their building, you would've known how deafening it is,' Babcock said. ``We expect that to be what it should be like for us in our building in warmups.'

The Ducks are simply planning to play as well as they did in their last game at Joe Louis Arena. They beat Detroit 5-2 on Feb. 15 - breaking a 2-all tie after two periods - before losing two games in the regular-season series at home by a combined score of 7-2.

``We'll draw back on what we did earlier in the season,' Anaheim captain Ryan Getzlaf said. ``We went into a tough building and played real well. We know we can win there, but we're in the playoffs now and it'll be fun.'

Both teams said they learned lessons Thursday night.

Detroit scored two goals in the first 4:20 of the game, went ahead 3-0 just more than a minute into the second period and had another three-goal cushion 20 seconds after the puck dropped in the third.

``We weren't ready to play at the start of the game, and the start of the periods,' Getzlaf said. ``They scored three goals in the first minute of each period. We've got to be ready to hit the ice and be flying for the next game.'

And if the Red Wings get ahead again, they plan to keep the pressure on Anaheim after giving up three goals in a 10-minute span of the third period.

``You can't stop playing,' Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. ``We got up 4-1 there in the start of the third, then we just kind of relaxed, sat back and let them come wave after wave.'

What if the Red Wings ended up losing in OT and falling behind 0-2 in the Western Conference best-of-seven, first-round series?

``I'd rather not think about that right now,' Kronwall said. ``We found a way to win, now it's 1-1. We haven't really won anything yet. We have to stay grounded and make sure we focus on the task at hand.'

The Ducks, meanwhile, were lamenting the loss that looked like it could've been quite a comeback win.

``We lost an opportunity to put a stranglehold on the series,' said Bobby Ryan, who scored the tying goal with 2:22 left in regulation for the Ducks. ``And, we let it get away.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-04-13 08:14 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Preview: Blues (0-0) at Kings (0-0)

Date: May 04, 2013 10:00 PM EDT

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) - The Los Angeles Kings made playoff hockey look almost easy last season, steamrolling four straight opponents on the way to their first Stanley Cup title.

The Kings are back to NHL reality this spring, and it's considerably less pretty.

They've managed just two goals in two games against the hungry St. Louis Blues. Conn Smythe Trophy-winning goalie Jonathan Quick, nearly unbeatable throughout last spring, has made just enough mistakes to put the Kings into a 0-2 series hole with consecutive 2-1 road defeats.

Although Quick sought the blame for those losses because of his disastrous puck-handling in the overtime opener and the Blues' last-minute goal in Game 2, his teammates know he doesn't deserve it.

``That's just the type of guy he is,' Mike Richards said Friday. ``He's a first-class teammate, and he'll say those things.'

A goalie isn't supposed to score goals, and unless the rest of the Kings start doing their jobs in Game 3 on Saturday night, their Stanley Cup defense will be over quickly.

``That won't cut it,' Jarret Stoll said with a grimace. ``That won't win very many games when you score one goal.'

Los Angeles will have a raucous sellout crowd at Staples Center for its first home playoff game since raising its only Stanley Cup banner. The fifth-seeded Kings have been dominant at home lately, winning seven straight since March 23.

Nearly every player returned from last season's championship team for this defense, and that's why the Kings know it's vital to avoid a 0-3 series deficit. They put all four of their opponents in 0-3 holes last spring, never even facing an elimination game.

``Last year we had a 3-0 series lead in every series we had, and it's not always going to be that easy,' Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi said. ``We've been in series before when we've been down and come back. You've just got to keep your head about you, make sure you pick up the desperation in your play, and try to get the next one.'

But they'll need goals to do that. The Kings were the third highest-scoring team in the Western Conference this season, erasing their reputation as a grind-it-out team with skill shortages, but that scoring potency hasn't translated to the playoffs, where they still haven't scored at even strength in the series.

Jeff Carter led the conference with 26 goals this season, finishing fourth in the Richard Trophy race with his power-forward toughness and impressive shot. The Kings have no goals against St. Louis from Carter - or Richards, or 2012 playoff heroes Stoll and Dustin Penner, or puck-moving defenseman Drew Doughty, who dominated long stretches of the last postseason with his aggressive offensive play.

But the Kings' most prominent absence from the scoresheet has been Anze Kopitar, the sublimely talented Slovenian center who scored 25 goals in each of his previous five seasons and finished last spring as the postseason's co-scoring leader with captain Dustin Brown.

Kopitar failed to score a goal in the Kings' final 16 games of the regular season, finishing with just 10 in 47 games, and he hasn't found the net against St. Louis. While Kopitar's playmaking and faceoff acumen are still strong, his goal drought is getting tougher to ignore.

The Kings aren't generating enough shots or good scoring chances against Brian Elliott. St. Louis' rugged defense has kept Los Angeles' top forwards largely outside the best scoring areas, limiting the traffic in front and the Kings' rebound chances.

On the other end, the Blues' confidence is growing with every successful shift against the Kings' sturdy defense, which helped Quick to his playoff MVP award last season.

``We're starting to get to him right now,' Blues forward David Perron said. ``We're trying to get some traffic going as many times as we can. We know he is a really good goalie. You've got to keep him in the back of his crease.'

St. Louis lost twice at Staples Center last season while getting swept out of the second round, and the Blues blew a three-goal lead in a fight-filled, 6-4 loss in their only trip to Los Angeles this season. St. Louis finished one point ahead of Los Angeles in the conference race this season, forcing the Kings to start this series on the road, where they've lost eight straight games.

``It's really good to be up two games, but it's going to be a long series,' said Blues forward Patrik Berglund, who didn't even see the puck that bounced off him for St. Louis' first goal in Game 2. ``We've got to get bodies in front of him, obviously. Those are the kind (of goals) we have to score. There are not going to be too many pretty ones. ... They're going to come out really hard in L.A. I think we're going to have to play the same kind of game, really physical, and do the right things.'

The Blues are in command of the series, but the Kings have the confidence of last season's run and the knowledge they played two fairly even games against St. Louis despite the results - losing Game 1 on a fluke goal and blowing a third-period lead in Game 2. The Kings are betting heavily on a win in Game 3 to get their title defense rolling again.

``It's not an easy situation to be in, but they held court in St. Louis,' Penner said. ``We're planning to do the same thing here.'

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 05-04-13 08:16 AM
Post A Reply

Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: