StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > NFC Championship Game Discussion
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NFC Championship Game Discussion

I thought it would be nice to get some great minds into this discussion to share thoughts and opinions on this match-up! This is one of the toughest games I've ever tryed to cap, and I'm sure several of you feel the same way! I'm a huge falcons fan and will probably be on the bench for this game, but would love to know what you guys are thinking!

San Francisco (-4.5) vs. Atlanta (+4.5)

Over/Under 49

Thoughts??

Old Post 01-19-13 12:30 AM
kcgreene06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kcgreene06 Click here to Send kcgreene06 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mgh56
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I believe that there's just too much firepower with SF. I think that Kaepernick will give Atl's defense fits. I think SF wins and covers.

Old Post 01-19-13 12:42 AM
mgh56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mgh56 Click here to Send mgh56 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
jtsachs
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Atlanta had a very nice record against Seattle, Carolina and Washington. Pretty sure they were 3-1 in the 4 games played (2 against Carolina). Why is this significant? Wilson, Newton, RG3...Cap.

Falcons ML

Old Post 01-19-13 12:47 AM
jtsachs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtsachs Click here to Send jtsachs a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

don't know if i'm a great mind, but after what atl did to me last weekend, i'm hoping they get trounced in this game. and i'm not betting it either. 35-10 niners.

Old Post 01-19-13 12:47 AM
ronnie111 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronnie111 Click here to Send ronnie111 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Thanks Guys

mgh56

You might be right, but Atlanta has had great success against mobile QB's this season, so that argument doesn't hold much ground in my opinion. That QB did a number on Green Bay though, so it's a possibility!

Ronnie

I'm with you on that back door cover, but 35-10? I'm thinking more of a 23-17 result. You might be right though!

jtsachs

That's a very good argument, and not mentioned very often considering it's a key factor in Atlanta's ability to keep mobile QB's in the box!

Old Post 01-19-13 01:09 AM
kcgreene06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kcgreene06 Click here to Send kcgreene06 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
CUBANO
FoxDen Hall of Famer

kc

Was lucky enough to get down on Niners -3 (very early)

2014 MLB Contest 1st Place
2016 NBA Contest 1st Place

Old Post 01-19-13 02:47 AM
CUBANO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CUBANO Click here to Send CUBANO a Private Message Edit post   Report post
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Ralph

Great value! I'll be rooting against you tomorrow!!

Old Post 01-19-13 05:08 PM
scout1
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Taking the over play.

All of this talk i hear about ATL being overrated is silly. No one has given them any credit all year, Sports radio, all gameday shows, and power rankings.
Did they have an easy schedule? YES

Did they beat Dener? YES
Did they beat Washington? YES
Did they Beat Seatle? YES
Did they just Kill the 2012 Super Bowl champs? YES

Let's say they had a herder schedule and finished 11-5 or 10-6
Who Cares!!!

They have played good enough to get to the NFC Championship and that is enough for me!

You can say that they may not be as good as their record, but they they are not overrated.

How can the underdog be overrated?

Homer final score
ATL 30 SF 27
another last drive win!

Old Post 01-19-13 06:25 PM
scout1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scout1 Click here to Send scout1 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Scout

You're spot on with the lack of respect and media attention given to this team! How do the falcons respond....... They WIN! Great insight and encouraging words for us ATL faithful!!

Old Post 01-19-13 07:26 PM
maurice

History

Falcons are 4 - 1 SU last 5 vs San Fran.

Old Post 01-19-13 08:35 PM
maurice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maurice Edit post   Report post
mikeb104
StatFox Hall of Famer

Sometimes you just have to go with the "eyeball" test. Last week, everybody I know (and 99%) of the boards were on Houston to cover. My eyeballs said no way. NE covered easily.

San Fran covers

Old Post 01-19-13 09:25 PM
mikeb104 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikeb104 Click here to Send mikeb104 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mikeb104
StatFox Hall of Famer

Adding-

Only 90% of the boards are on Atlanta this week.

"Not everything you read on the internet is accurate"- Abraham Lincoln

Old Post 01-19-13 09:27 PM
mikeb104 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikeb104 Click here to Send mikeb104 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
playtowin
Restricted User

Atlanta +4
Balt+8
Can't ignore the fact that teams that score 40 + pts are 3-20
ATS in the next week. S.F. has never won 3 straight games this season, after 2 wins they are 0-4-1 SU & 0-5 ATS.
I have ATL-1 for this game in my power rating and playing at
home where they are used to winning close games, i will take
the points.
I also have Balt in the back end of a 3 team teaser at +17.5

Old Post 01-19-13 11:42 PM
playtowin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for playtowin Click here to Send playtowin a Private Message Edit post   Report post
douglas
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Just posted this in another thred Odd it was not mentioned

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree has been questioned by police regarding a sexual assault allegation, the San Francisco Police Department confirmed to NFL.com and NFL Network. Police said that the alleged assault occurred in a city hotel room early Sunday.

Officer Gordon Shyy told NFL.com that Crabtree was interviewed earlier this week. The victim did not contact police until a few days later, after which police interviewed Crabtree with his lawyer present.

The officer also said the investigation is active, but he has no details as far as a timeline.

The 49ers arrived in Atlanta on Friday night in advance of the NFC Championship Game and released a statement on the matter:

"We are aware of the allegation against Michael and understand that he has fully cooperated with authorities," GM Trent Baalke said. "The 49ers take such matters very seriously. We will have no further comment at this time as the legal process is ongoing. Additional requests for comment should be directed to Michael's attorney."

The San Francisco Chronicle and Comcast SportsNet Bay Area report that Crabtree is expected to play in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons. Crabtree has not been detained or arrested. He has agreed to make himself available for possible further interviews about an assault.

No other information is available at this time, but we'll continue to update the situation as news warrants.

Old Post 01-19-13 11:46 PM
douglas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for douglas Click here to Send douglas a Private Message Edit post   Report post
kcgreene06
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Maurice

I like the trend, but it's a little short for any validity! I hope it's 5-1 after tomorrow though!!

Mike

I can understand where you're coming from, and can agree to some extent. We'll see what happens!!

Playtowin

I think the points trend is extremely valuable and agree with the teaser! I hope it works out!!

Douglas
This could be a huge distraction for a valuable niner weapon! It kind of reminds me of the Eugene Robinson scenario back in 1998!

Old Post 01-20-13 12:28 AM
jharmon64

Atlanta Defense

This game is tough to call.

Yes, Altanta went 3-1 vs the mobile QB's.

But recall Carolina was running out the clock and fumbled to give Atl the victory.

I know "woulda coulda shoulda", right?

In those 4 games I see this:

Griffin was held completely in check, but he did get hurt and Kirk Cousins played much of the 2nd half. Griffin only attempted one rush in the entire game.

In the other 3 games, 2 with Newton and 1 with Wilson. Each game the opposing QB tossed 2 TD's and ran for 1 TD. Allowing about 80 yds rushing per QB and about 295 yds passing to the mobile QB's.

This game is a very tough call. I have difficulty playing against such a strong home team but also I have a challenge relying on Atl's defense against SF's offense. SF has a tremendous offensive line (and defensive line for that matter).

The Falcon's have too many weapons to name and I always like the home field dog getting points.

However, I am leaning Niners, but it would be a small play indeed.

"It's not about what you're capable of, It's about what you're willing to do." - Mike Tomlin

Old Post 01-20-13 12:41 AM
jharmon64 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jharmon64 Click here to Send jharmon64 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Zac
FoxDen Hall of Famer

SUW/L....ATS.........AF..........AA
5-3-0.......5-3-0.......24.9.........20.3
8-1-0.......4-5-0.......25.1.........18.2

Based on the Covers print sheet Home/Away stats, Atlanta wins by 2 on defense and wins by 7 on offense.

That's a "math model" line of Atlanta -4.5 and arguably a wrong team favored situation.

That's just a Falcons fan homer opinion.

But, I could be right.

Old Post 01-20-13 01:51 AM
Zac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zac Click here to Send Zac a Private Message Edit post   Report post
douglas
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Since 1978

The Falcons are the biggest home underdog as a #1 seed in ANY round of the playoffs.

And, they are the biggest home underdog in any conference title game EVER.

Old Post 01-20-13 02:13 AM
douglas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for douglas Click here to Send douglas a Private Message Edit post   Report post
mikeb104
StatFox Hall of Famer

I just like to see who is on what team, then fade sometimes........

"Not everything you read on the internet is accurate"- Abraham Lincoln

Old Post 01-20-13 02:23 AM
CUBANO
FoxDen Hall of Famer

KC

You know the famous saying...."its why they play the game". I really think it will be a great game. Close. Good thing is for you and I, one of us will be going to the Super Bowl. I promise to root for you if you go!

2014 MLB Contest 1st Place
2016 NBA Contest 1st Place

Old Post 01-20-13 03:18 AM
CUBANO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CUBANO Click here to Send CUBANO a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: