StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > FoxDen Lounge > An investment question involving politics
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

An investment question involving politics

In all seriousness. The market has been climbing since our new POTUS was elected. But there is so much resistance to everything he does, says or thinks. I have never seen the US in such frenzy over politics and wanting to get rid of a President.
Is it like a new stricter principal taking over a school that has been so lax in enforcing rules that everyone is hating it, but the principal just wants to get it all straightened out and the kids are throwing a fit.

So if an immigrant is illegal, what is his problem. He doesn't want to follow the same laws as the rest of us? Why is he considered illegal?

Why do we need three restrooms?

Anyway, to the question.

Is it time to bail out of our investments, before Wall Street figures out what everyone else seems to already know? Or is wall street on the right track?

If you have an honest opinion I would like to hear it.

And if this belongs in the lounge, move it. Just wanted to get it out there.

give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Old Post 02-20-17 04:52 PM
Tex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
ronnie111
FoxDen Hall of Famer

this week is key for the market. a lot of retail
earnings come out this week. no question the market is due for a correction. the trump
rally was fueled because of the easing of bank regulations and the hope he was going to start putting huge amounts of money into the infrastructure. the tax reforms he promised have not been addressed yet....could be more BS. only 39% of the people have a favorable opinion about your guy.

Old Post 02-20-17 05:05 PM
ronnie111 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronnie111 Click here to Send ronnie111 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Computer Guru

I think you have to ask yourself is the tax cuts, reduced regulations and the repatriation of money already baked into the stocks you are invested in. If your answer is yes then you might want to scale back your investments. If your answer is no then you might want to add to your investments. I personally think we have another 10% to go, before a major pullback.

One thing that I think you should keep in mind is that you should always be invested in stocks to some degree.

Old Post 02-20-17 08:49 PM
Computer Guru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Computer Guru Click here to Send Computer Guru a Private Message Edit post   Report post
RDTrains
StatFox Hall of Famer

"I have never seen the US in such frenzy over politics and wanting to get rid of a President."

Republican Amnesia at its finest.
You must have been living on Mars the last 8 years.

Questioning an American President's birthplace and religion ring a bell? And you're beloved Donald was the head instigator on the first one.

Old Post 02-20-17 11:26 PM
RDTrains is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RDTrains Click here to Send RDTrains a Private Message Edit post   Report post
RDTrains
StatFox Hall of Famer

The US railroads have always been a good precursor to the economy.

I interviewed with and got accepted to Southern Pacific back in 1979 but took another job with Shell the same year. Turns out it was my best move as the 80's proved to be a bad decade with Reagan's trickle down economy. I would have been furloughed several times as business took a dive. It wasn't until 1993 that Southern Pacific started another switchman's class going a full 14 years between hirings! I signed on in '94 after getting laid off from Shell and have never looked back. SP merged with Union Pacific in 1998.

Then when the economy tanked in 2008 we got hit hard again and the railyards went bare. Fortunately that only lasted 1 year and things picked back up. The railroad started hiring again thru 2013 and then the furloughs returned only this time it lasted until earlier this year. All part time employees should be working full time by April and Union Pacific has just announced the first hiring class in 2 + years. I can already see business is picking up and we are adding more trains to an already busy schedule.

On the flip side, if Trump issues tax cuts on an already overblown budget how is that money going to be recovered elsewhere? And there is also the matter of a wall that has doubled in cost to $20 billion and despite retoric to the contrary Mexico will not pay for.

So my answer would be short term I believe the economy will do well. How long that lasts is anybody's guess.

Old Post 02-20-17 11:42 PM
RDTrains is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RDTrains Click here to Send RDTrains a Private Message Edit post   Report post
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

I have never seen the US in such frenzy over politics and wanting to get rid of a President."

Republican Amnesia at its finest.
You must have been living on Mars the last 8 years.

"Questioning an American President's birthplace and religion ring a bell? And you're beloved Donald was the head instigator on the first one."

Sorry RD, I didn't think I would get attacked for such a statement of my opinion. But you disagree and start attacking. What is the purpose of attacking me like that(which basically is the type of **** I am referring to). Seems like the media and the opposition question everything President Trump does. And they say hes not their President. Who's is he then. Are they US citizens. Talk about Amnesia. They don't even remember who the current President is.

So because I didn't vote for Hillary I am labeled a Republican? No such thing as voting for the who I believe as the best available candidate? Why do we always have to draw lines.?

And thanks for your answer. Does the price of Oil affect Rail business?

Old Post 02-21-17 12:06 AM
Tex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tex Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Edit post   Report post
vick
FoxDen Hall of Famer

tex

I think you should re-read RDtrains response.
I do not feel he is attacking at all. He just indicated about trumps instigation's before. Then he gave a good write-up on his thoughts on railroad.

Anyway not trying to get in middle but grat forum and as a by-stander on this topic I feel he did not attack the slightest.

Love is playing every game as if it's your last. - Michael Jordan

Old Post 02-21-17 03:41 AM
vick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for vick Click here to Send vick a Private Message Edit post   Report post
RDTrains
StatFox Hall of Famer

Attacked? If you consider that an attack you better not come out of your house ever again. Consider hiding under the covers and ordering Chinese every day.

I merely stated facts. No name calling. No blatent lies or misrepresentations. But if you insist, I will say one thing.

You are a delicate snowflake. I apologize if I ruffled your feathers and hurt your feelings.

Now, do you want an egg roll with your Won Ton Soup?

Old Post 02-21-17 06:25 AM
RDTrains
StatFox Hall of Famer

P.S. The railroad passes any fuel increases on to the shipper and as an engineer I am under strict orders to use the least amount of power to get freight over the road.

Old Post 02-21-17 06:31 AM
Tex
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Maybe accusing someone of "living on mars for 8 years" is not being attacked, but it seems like a pretty combative tone to me. So call it what you want. And thanks for your response. Talking politics is one argument no one can win, because you aren't changing my mind and I aint changing yours.

But Trump is our President for the time being. That is a fact, regardless of what he says or how he got there.

give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Old Post 02-21-17 05:27 PM
Post A Reply

Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: