StatFox.com - Sports Handicapping Community

The Leading Logic In Sports Handicapping

The FoxDen Forum : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 The FoxDen Forum > Sports Handicapping, Trends, and Stats > Cnotes Look Ahead To NFL 2013 Preview-News& Other Information You Need To Know !
Search The Fox Den Forum:

Subscribe to this Thread
Pages (13): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »

Last Message   Next Message

Author
Message    Post A Reply
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Worth watching: 10 players to keep an eye on

THE CANADIAN PRESS

The 2013 CFL regular season gets underway June 27 in Winnipeg with the Blue Bombers hosting the Montreal Alouettes.

Here are 10 players to watch this year:

Chad Owens, Toronto: The 31-year-old Hawaiian was sensational in 2012, posting a league-record 3,863 all-purpose yards while leading the CFL in receiving with 94 catches for 1,328 yards and six TDs. And the league's outstanding player capped his stellar season by helping Toronto win the 100th Grey Cup.

Jon Cornish, Calgary: The 28-year-old native of New Westminster, B.C., was the CFL's top Canadian last year, and for good reason. Cornish ran for a league-high 1,457 yards to surpass Norm Kwong's 56-year-old record for most rushing yards by a Canadian. Cornish was also the first Canuck to lead the CFL in rushing since '88.

Andrew Harris, BC: The 26-year-old Winnipeg native also served notice last year he's a threat for the top Canadian award. The B.C.
Lions running back ran for 1,112 yards and added 75 catches for 718 yards. Harris scored 11 TDs and his 105 catches since 2011 is tops among CFL running backs.

Emmanuel Arceneaux, BC: It's been two years since the six-foot-two, 211-pound receiver played in the CFL, but he's back with the Lions. Arceneaux originally signed with BC as a free agent in 2009 and in two CFL seasons amassed 130 catches for 1,971 yards - a solid 15.2-yard average - and 12 TDs. He spent the last two years in the NFL.

Geroy Simon, Saskatchewan: The veteran slotback enters his 15th CFL season but first with the Roughriders after being dealt by B.C.
in the off-season. Simon was limited to 54 catches for 700 yards and two touchdowns last year due to hamstring injuries, the first time in 10 seasons he didn't crack the 1,000-yard plateau. Simon, 37, needs 29 catches to break Ben Cahoon's all-time record (1,017).

Buck Pierce, Winnipeg: The 31-year-old arrived at Winnipeg's camp 20 pounds lighter hoping to be more mobile. Injuries have plagued Pierce throughout his CFL career and his health will be a huge factor for the Bombers, who have former fourth-stringer Justin Goltz and newcomers Chase Clement and Max Hall behind Pierce.

John Chick, Saskatchewan: The defensive end is back with the Roughriders following three NFL seasons. Chick was the CFL's top defensive player in 2009 before signing with the Indianapolis Colts. He helped the Riders win the '07 Grey Cup and come close in '09.
That year, the six-foot-four, 250-pound Chick had 11 sacks and will be counted on to consistently pressure rival quarterbacks in 2013.

Arland Bruce III, Montreal: The slotback enters his 12th CFL season but first in Montreal with quarterback Anthony Calvillo.
Bruce has cracked the 1,000-yard receiving plateau six times and been a member of two Grey Cup-winning squads. But the 35-year-old's last 1,000-yard campaign was 2010. He had 43 catches for 603 yards last year with B.C. but still scored five TDs.

Mike Reilly, Edmonton: After three seasons serving as a backup in B.C., the six-foot-three, 215-pound Reilly is Edmonton's starter.
The Eskimos acquired Reilly to compete with Matt Nichols for the No. 1 job but the position became Reilly's for good after Nichols suffered a season-ending knee injury.

J.R. Larose, BC: The Lions boasted the CFL's top-ranked defence last year with Cauchy Muamba at safety. He's now in Winnipeg so Larose, 29, an Edmonton native, steps in. Larose should get plenty of support from a veteran Lions secondary but is no rookie. He's entering his third season in B.C. and seventh in the CFL.

Believe in the 3 G's
GIRLS, GOLF,GAMBLING not in any particular order.

Old Post 06-26-13 06:57 AM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Lions aim to apply camp habits to game action

SURREY -- There were probably about as many surprises coming out of Saturday’s roster deletions as one could expect with a talented veteran squad like the Lions.

The club said goodbye to Elvis Akpla, Chris Clady, Glenn Love, Steven Shott, Bobby Davis and Ben Ossai and added Isi Sofele, DeAngelo Smith, Kyle Fischer, Matt McGarva and Matt Albright to the preactice roster on Sunday before hitting the field for three days of prep in advance of their season opener in Calgary.

"Training camp was very good to us,” said head coach Mike Benevides. “We had fantastic weather which allowed us the opportunity to take advantage of every single minute on the field. We have a lot of work to do and a lot of improvement is needed in a number of areas, but we’re operating from a solid foundation.”

Despite a 27-22 defeat at the hands of the Eskimos on Friday, there were a number of bright spots.

Second-round draft pick S.J. Haidara was solid on special teams and notched a brilliant 59-yard catch-and-run for a major in the fourth quarter.

“S.J. is one of the most intelligent players I’ve seen at this point in his career,” said special teams coordinator Chuck McMann. “He not only makes plays, he puts himself in position to do so.”

Last year’s first round selection Kirby Fabien is living up to his billing as a potential mainstay at guard while Matt Norman stepped seamlessly into the centre position in place of Angus Reid. Even fifth-round pick Matt Albright showed well at centre in the fourth quarter as Norman moved to guard to give him some reps.

“Matt Norman is a warrior,” says Benevides. “We’re fortunate to have a player of his ability shine so early in his career.”

Third-year kicker Hugh O’Neill looks ready for primetime and it appears he’ll be the go-to guy at least early on with Paul McCallum tweaking a groin in warm-up Friday night.

On defence, halfback Josh Bell looks like he’s ready for everyday duty after a pick in the end zone and some nice open field tackling Friday. Cord Parks also showed well and is fitting in well alongside Ryan Phillips.

“Josh is aggressive and athletic,” notes teammate Dante Marsh. “Once we are completely on the same page we’ll be a dangerous duo. It won’t take long, just takes game speed and reps to develop that non-verbal communication and sixth sense for what the other guy will do.”

On offence, Travis Lulay may have arguably the most gifted group of receivers in the league and Friday’s game was not a true indicator of the fireworks to come when the regular season lands.

“On paper, the offence is a Ferrari,” says Lulay. “My job is to make sure I don’t flood the engine trying to back out of the driveway. We were trying to properly execute the offence Friday, but it’s a pretty basic game plan in a preseason game with a lot of moving parts to get guys in and out. We’ll be better in Calgary.”

Another bright note was the play of back-up Thomas DeMarco who demonstrated he has a command of the offence and make things happen in tight situations.

“I would have loved to pull that game out and pick up a win, but it’s also a learning experience. A year ago, I wasn’t getting that kind of time on the field so I have to be pleased with my progression and prepare each week like I’m going to be called on to help us win.”

A win is exactly what the Lions will be aiming for when they clash with the Stampeders on Friday in Calgary.

“Last year is not forgotten,” says Benevides. “We have a collective chip on our shoulder and we better play like it.”

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 06:59 AM
CNOTES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CNOTES Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Tiger-Cats face tough test against defending Champs

HAMILTON -- Saturday was the deadline for CFL teams to make their final roster cuts before the beginning of the 2013 regular season. The Tiger-Cats parted way with nine players on Saturday, with nine more being designated to the practice roster, and several others designated as injured. Head Coach Kent Austin held a short practice on Sunday, and spoke to the media about the cuts afterwards.

“It’s never easy making these cuts,” he said. “You’re talking about players’ lives and careers, and if you have any heart in the matter it’s not easy to deliver that news, but it has to be done.”

Quarterback Henry Burris had great things to say about the squad that Austin has selected, praising the team’s depth all the way down to the practice roster.

“Our second string units we believe could be starting anywhere else in this league, and the fact that they’re here, we’re very lucky to have them” he said.

“We cut a lot of talented players, and that goes to show the depth we have here on this team.”

But now that cuts have been made, the focus in Hamilton shifts to this Friday, and to the first game of the 2013 regular season, when the Tiger-Cats will travel to the Rogers Centre to take on the Argonauts.

As the defending Grey Cup champions, the Argonauts will certainly pose a challenge for opening night, but veteran linebacker Jamall Johnson believes that his team will be up to the challenge.

“I like the direction this team is headed,” he said. “The coaching staff has given all of us the tools we need to succeed, and I think we have a lot of challenge on not only this defence, but on this team as a whole. We’re looking forward to the Toronto game.”

Burris was also excited about beginning the regular season this week against the Argos.

“Toronto are the Grey Cup Champions, they’re our rival in the East just down the street, and we dropped a couple heartbreakers to them last year,” said Burris. “Yeah, we’ll be looking forward to Friday.”

With the roster mostly finalized for the regular season, the Tiger-Cats must now look forward in order to begin the 2013 on the right foot. If the pre-season was any indication, the Ticats look to be competitive this season, and a win against the 2012 Grey Cup Champions on opening night would certainly open some eyes around the league.

“In Toronto’s mind, they’re going to come out there and try to prove that what we did in pre-season was a fluke, that they still have supremacy in this division,” said Burris. “Right now we want to change that. This is a huge game.”

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:04 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Morris: Lions built for Grey Cup success in 2013

A BC Lions team that was very good last year was retooled over the winter in hopes of being even better this season.

By saying goodbye to several veterans, most notably future Hall of Fame slotback Geroy Simon, the Lions hope to have made additions through subtractions as they enter their 60th CFL campaign.

"We lost some pretty heroic players," said defensive lineman Keron Williams. "We have guys to fall in line and pick up the slack where they left off. We have young guys with talent and speed."

Head coach Mike Benevides believes the Lions are deeper in talent this year.

"We have more depth," said the second-year coach.
Lulay high on BC's chances

"I think when you look at the depth; some of the chemistry that we have together, those are the two facets that are going to pay dividends."

BC led the league last year with a 13-5 record. But the Lions' dreams of repeating as Grey Cup champions turned into a nightmare when they were upset 34-29 by the Calgary Stampeders in the Western Final at BC Place Stadium.

"I guarantee you there will be points in time where that game, and that tape and those memories, come out," said Benevides.

"That was a missed opportunity, a regret I will carry to my grave. That's never going to change. We will learn from it but we can't dwell on it."

The biggest change for the Lions came when Simon, the CFL's all-time receiving leader, was traded to Saskatchewan. Also gone are veterans like slotback Arland Bruce, backup quarterback Mike Reilly, defensive back Byron Parker, defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell, safety Cauchy Muamba, and defensive back Anthony Reddick.

General manager Wally Buono maintained some consistency by re-signing more than 20 players, including quarterback Travis Lulay, offensive tackle Jovan Olafioye, the CFL's top lineman last year, and hard-hitting linebacker Solomon Elimimian.

Lulay, who threw for 4,231 yards with 27 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions last season, has established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He is healthy again after dealing with a shoulder injury during the latter part of last season.

Even with the loss of Simon and Bruce, Lulay still has an impressive group of receivers to work with.

The return of Emmanuel Arceneaux, back after a two-year stint in the NFL, adds size and speed. The receiver's list also includes imports like Courtney Taylor, Nick Moore and Ernest Jackson, plus Canadians Shawn Gore, Akeem Foster, Marco Iannuzzi and Paris Jackson.

"You can never make people forget about Geroy and Arland," said Foster, a native of Ajax, Ont. "They are two of the greatest guys to ever play the game.

"At the end of the day it's our turn. We're up to bat. Every day is a challenge. For the young bucks we are up to the challenge. We're ready to come out and do what we were meant to do."

Running back Andrew Harris will be looking to build on his breakout season last year where he became the first Canadian since Terry Evanshen in 1967 to lead the CFL in yards from scrimmage. His total of 1,830 yards included 1,112 rushing and 718 receiving on 75 catches.

"I expect him to play at a very high level," said Benevides.

Any production from Lulay will depend on the protection he receives and already there are some concerns about the health of the Lions' offensive line.

Veteran centre Angus Reid missed all of training camp with a back injury and the 36-year-old is questionable for the Lions season-opener Friday night against Calgary. Right guard Dean Valli is also still rehabbing from a knee injury.

Second-year player Matt Norman has been penciled in at centre with 22-year-old rookie Kirby Fabien, a first-round draft pick in 2012, the right guard.

Benevides is confident the two young players will be quick learners.

"I know they have the ability to do it," said Benevides. "We have a great coaching staff to work with them.

"Certainly there will be times that we are going to have to show patience with them. It just doesn't happen overnight. These guys have the ability and the talent."

The rest of the line remains solid with Olafioye the right tackle, massive Patrick Kabongo the left guard and veteran Ben Archibald the left tackle.

The B.C. defence, which led the league last year in least first downs allowed, net offence and fewest points, has also been tinkered with.

Elimimian and Adam Bighill will give the Lions a potent one-two punch at linebacker, with Korey Banks moving from his halfback spot to the nickleback.

J. R. LaRose will take over at safety while newcomer Cord Parks, who has spent time with four NFL squads, will be one of the defensive backs.

The defensive front will see Williams, who led the CFL last year with 12 sacks, rotating with Jabar Westerman, last year's West Division rookie of the year, Eric Taylor, Khreem Smith and Brandon Jordan.

"Keron is a man without a position," said Benevides. "We are going to move him a around a fair bit."

Benevides expects some growing pains as the defence adjusts to the changes.

"When the live bullets start that may be the case in the beginning," he said. "There will be six or seven changes. It's quite a dramatic change.

"It's just not the new guys. It's also some guys in new positions. I feel good about the group and how hard they work."

Lulay believes this year's team has the potential to succeed where last year's squad failed.

"I think we have the chance to be a very good football team," he said. "The group is going into the season with some good confidence.

"Now it's a matter of going out and doing it."

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:07 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Matthews questionable for season opener vs. Als

WINNIPEG -- Despite best efforts to ensure a healthy starting lineup for the CFL season opener Thursday, Winnipeg Blue Bombers coach Tim Burke says Chris Matthews remains a question mark.

"We will know the morning of the game whether he can play or not,'' Burke said Tuesday after the team's No. 1 receiver last season did not attend practice.

The CFL's outstanding rookie in 2012, Matthews is nursing a minor ankle injury sustained during Sunday's practice. But Burke was a little more optimistic Tuesday than he had been earlier about Matthews' prognosis.

"Right now, I would say it's closer to him playing than not playing,'' he said. "It depends on how fast he can heal up in the next 48 hours.''

If he can play, missing a few days of practice won't hurt Matthews performance, Burke said. Receiver Terrence Edwards, who had off-season foot surgery, will be on the field.

"I'm really surprised at how well he's moving,'' Burke said of the veteran, who also topped the 1,000-yard mark last season for the fifth time as a Bomber.

"Last week I was going 'I don't know if he's going to be ready,' and this week he looks great.''

Burke says he feels the offence is ready but he has had questions this season about his defence.

"I feel better about our defence,'' he said after practice Tuesday.

"I still think . . . because we have a couple of young guys there that haven't played a CFL game, I'm a little concerned for them.''

On defence, the Bombers have rookies Desia Dunn, a linebacker who could be a starter with Johnny Sears still out, defensive back Marty Markett and defensive end Freddie Harris.

Burke says rookies can make their first game a bigger event that it should be and he's going to remind them they don't have to win it all by themselves.

Despite a new look offence and new protection schemes to try and keep quarterback Buck Pierce out of harm's way as much as possible, Burke says the opposition Thursday is much more of a blank slate.

The Montreal Alouettes have a new head coach and a new defence this season.

"They didn't show much in pre season. What we did see was different than what Montreal did under Marc Trestman and certainly different than what (Jeff) Reinebold did last year on defence,'' said Burke.

"We have no idea what they're doing and they know what we're doing.''

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:09 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Can Buck stay in the game? Bombers future tied to QB

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers may not be getting much respect from oddsmakers, who have them dead last as a Grey Cup bet this season, but coach Tim Burke will take that wager.

He says the team is further ahead than it was at the start of 2012, when they finished out of the playoffs, tied with Hamilton in the CFL cellar.

"Definitely, offensively, we're farther ahead than we were at this point last year,'' he says. "And) I think as far as desire to win we're farther ahead than we were last year.''

Starter Buck Pierce was sidelined last season by a series of injuries, and the Bombers floundered behind their backup quarterbacks. But Burke says the fire in the belly that got them to Vancouver to compete for the Grey Cup in 2011 also seemed lacking.

"I don't think we had the fire that we had coming back from the year before and I think we have a little bit more of that this year. Hopefully enough of it to get us some wins,'' he said.

But can they pull off a repeat of 2011, when they stunned pretty well everyone by rebounding from an even more dismal 4-14 finish the year before to challenge for the Cup?

Head coach Paul LaPolice, who led them to that final, paid for last year's poor performance with his job and Burke took over mid-season.

This year, Burke has put his stamp on the Bombers from the start. The team even has a brand new touchdown song to play in their new $200-million stadium, if and when they score one.

They didn't get a chance at their first exhibition game, with total offence consisting of two field goals in a 24-6 loss to the Toronto Argonauts. That was close compared with the 52-0 drubbing by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats that closed their pre-season.

Burke had left most of his A team at home when the Bombers crumbled before Hamilton and Henry Burris, and probably was glad the debacle wasn't televised.

But more so than in past years, this pre-season was about testing rookies and resting starters for the first regular-season game June
27 against Montreal.

First and foremost, the Bombers need Pierce healthy. Failing that, they must rely on one of their backups - Justin Goltz or Max Hall - to win games Pierce can't play.

It was Pierce who got them to the 2011 cup final but, with his injury record, training camp has been spent weighing who should stand directly behind him on the depth chart.

Hall is a CFL rookie (with NFL experience) but even Goltz, who won the toss as No. 1 backup, has thrown very few passes in his three seasons. Alex Brink and Joey Elliott, cut in the off-season, were always ahead of him on the chart.

That focus on backups means Pierce hasn't had much time to work on his game, but he insists he isn't concerned.

"It's OK, they're going to give me lots of reps this week, and we'll get ready to go,'' he said as camp wound down.

"I'll be fine. I've been playing for nine years, I'll be OK.''

The Bombers have been prepping a new-look offence and new protection schemes. They aren't taking the wraps off those though until the June 27 season opener at home against Montreal.

Of course, Pierce has to cooperate. Breaking out for an eight-yard run on his first play of the first pre-season game showed that the best-laid plans can fail in the execution. The Bombers let him play only three series before giving him the hook.

Quarterbacking remains the big question mark hanging over Winnipeg's offence.

Otherwise, it seems in good hands with the return of healthy runningbacks Chad Simpson, Chris Garrett and Will Ford. Burke has the enviable problem of looking for ways to hang onto all the talented import tailbacks at his disposal.

Simpson's starting job is secure after racking up more than 1,000 yards in his rookie season, good enough to be named an East Division all-star, but it's a toss up between the other two, with one destined for the regular roster and another likely the practice roster.

For receivers, Winnipeg has rookie of the year Chris Matthews and veteran Terrence Edwards, two 1,000-yard-plus performers, and plenty of depth behind them, including non-import Cory Watson.

Offensive coordinator Gary Crowton also now has a year of CFL experience under his belt.

The offensive line, a weak link as last season opened, has firmed up. And 2012 draft pick Tyson Pencer seems healthy enough and is persuading coaches he could become the ratio-changing tackle they saw in the six-foot-seven, 315-pound rookie, although he starts the season on the nine-game injured list.

Burke has clearly had issues with his defence though this season.

Last season, injuries forced the Bombers to play musical chairs with their defence. This season, Burke hasn't been happy with the veterans on the secondary and told them to pick up or pack up.

Despite a $35,000 signing bonus, two-time all-star Jonathan Hefney got a ticket to ride.

It may have been his play, but it also followed the news he'd been busted for marijuana possession at home in South Carolina. He was quickly snapped up by the Stampeders and his was the only departure that could be called a surprise.

To fill his place at halfback, the Bombers tabbed Demond Washington, who dazzled at times last season as a kick returner, when he held onto the ball.

Cauchy Muamba, brother to Winnipeg defensive linebacker Henoc Muamba, moves into safety, replacing Ian Logan.

Burke's call for new players challenging for spots on the secondary to push the veterans was heard, says Washington, who started as a linebacker, cornerback or halfback in seven games last season.

"I know they're hungry,'' he said of the rookies. "But the veteran guys are hungry too. We can't just sit there and let them get all the meat. We've got to get in and get us some food too.''

Cornerback Jovon Johnson, the CFL's outstanding defensive player in 2011, says the secondary is ready and the veterans know the score.

"I mean, we've got talent, all the way across the board,'' he said. "In this business, nobody's ever safe. You've got to come out and go out and perform and if you don't do that, they'll find guys to replace you.''

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:10 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Tiger-Cats face tough test against defending Champs

HAMILTON -- Saturday was the deadline for CFL teams to make their final roster cuts before the beginning of the 2013 regular season. The Tiger-Cats parted way with nine players on Saturday, with nine more being designated to the practice roster, and several others designated as injured. Head Coach Kent Austin held a short practice on Sunday, and spoke to the media about the cuts afterwards.

“It’s never easy making these cuts,” he said. “You’re talking about players’ lives and careers, and if you have any heart in the matter it’s not easy to deliver that news, but it has to be done.”

Quarterback Henry Burris had great things to say about the squad that Austin has selected, praising the team’s depth all the way down to the practice roster.

“Our second string units we believe could be starting anywhere else in this league, and the fact that they’re here, we’re very lucky to have them” he said.

“We cut a lot of talented players, and that goes to show the depth we have here on this team.”

But now that cuts have been made, the focus in Hamilton shifts to this Friday, and to the first game of the 2013 regular season, when the Tiger-Cats will travel to the Rogers Centre to take on the Argonauts.

As the defending Grey Cup champions, the Argonauts will certainly pose a challenge for opening night, but veteran linebacker Jamall Johnson believes that his team will be up to the challenge.

“I like the direction this team is headed,” he said. “The coaching staff has given all of us the tools we need to succeed, and I think we have a lot of challenge on not only this defence, but on this team as a whole. We’re looking forward to the Toronto game.”

Burris was also excited about beginning the regular season this week against the Argos.

“Toronto are the Grey Cup Champions, they’re our rival in the East just down the street, and we dropped a couple heartbreakers to them last year,” said Burris. “Yeah, we’ll be looking forward to Friday.”

With the roster mostly finalized for the regular season, the Tiger-Cats must now look forward in order to begin the 2013 on the right foot. If the pre-season was any indication, the Ticats look to be competitive this season, and a win against the 2012 Grey Cup Champions on opening night would certainly open some eyes around the league.

“In Toronto’s mind, they’re going to come out there and try to prove that what we did in pre-season was a fluke, that they still have supremacy in this division,” said Burris. “Right now we want to change that. This is a huge game.”

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:12 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Pre-season Power Rankings: Lions on top

BC Lions
The Lions’ depth at all positions combined with their regular season success of 2012 lands them in the top spot heading into the new season. And you can bet they haven’t forgotten about their Western Final either.

Toronto Argonauts
The Grey Cup champs slot in at the two spot and for good reason. With a full year under his belt, expect Ricky Ray to pick up right where he left off last November. Perhaps the only thing separating them from number one is their unproven defence and the argument that they got hot at the right time last season.

Calgary Stamepders
Last year’s Western Champs enter the new campaign with a healthy starting QB in Drew Tate and the league’s reigning rushing king/top Canadian Jon Cornish finally together again in the same backfield. Expect them to play massive roles in Calgary’s success early on.

Montreal Alouettes
There’s plenty new in Montreal (new head coach, new defence) but the one thing that consistently remains the same is Anthony Calvillo. With him behind centre – along with his dangerous arsenal of receivers – anything is possible for the Als.

Saskatchewan Roughriders
The Riders qualified for the post-season after missing the year before, but spirits are high in Saskatchewan. Free agent signings like Geroy Simon, Ricky Foley and Dwight Anderson should give a young lineup some much needed veteran presence.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Arguably the most interesting team to watch this year, the Ticats insist that they won’t have a problem with their home on the road at Guelph’s Alumni Stadium. Still, questions always surround a new coaching staff and it will take some time for a revamped secondary to show how far along their defence really is.

Edmonton Eskimos
Is Mike Reilly the answer for Edmonton’s QB problems? How much of a positive impact will the addition of Odell Willis and a healthy Marcus Howard have on the Esks’ defensive line? Suffice to say, there are plenty of questions for a team that indeed got in the playoffs last year but needed some help from the crossover.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Simply put, the Bombers need QB Buck Pierce to stay healthy if they want to remain competitive in 2013. Also, a heavily maligned secondary will have to prove themselves early on. Was their pre-season an indication of things to come?

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:14 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Owens: 'This is for real this week'

OAKVILLE — Chad Owens is putting his fledgling mixed martial arts career on hold.

The Toronto Argonauts receiver/kick-returner signed a two-year contract extension with the CFL club Tuesday and said he won’t return to the Octagon during the course of his new deal.

“I’m not going to jeopardize what they’ve honoured me with and given me,” Owens said following Tuesday’s practice. “As far as MMA training, I’m still going to do some of those things … because of the cardio and it’s fun.

“As far as stepping into the Octagon and fighting, I can’t do that.”

Toronto also added former longtime kicker-punter Noel Prefontaine to the practice roster behind incumbent Swayze Waters.

Owens, 31, was the CFL’s outstanding player last season after posting a league-record 3,863 all-purpose yards and leading it in receiving (94 catches, 1,328 yards, six TDs). The native of Hawaii capped the 2012 campaign in style, helping Toronto win the historic 100th Grey Cup game at Rogers Centre.

He was entering the option year of his previous agreement and would’ve become a free agent in February 2014. Owens raised eyebrows last April when he participated in his inaugural MMA event in Hawaii, winning his match.

There was nothing in Owens’ CFL deal preventing from fighting but his decision was initially criticized by the Argos management, including general manager Jim Barker. But Barker wouldn’t say whether provisions preventing Owens from participating in MMA events were part of the new deal.

“I’m not going to comment about what’s in the contract,” Barker said. “In the end he got more than we wanted to give him and he didn’t get as much as he wanted, that’s the way negotiations go, it was very professional.

“We want Chad to be here. He’s a big part of what our brand has become and we’re excited about his commitment to us.”

Toronto acquired Owens from Montreal on June 23, 2010 for a 2011 fourth-round draft pick. Owens joined the Argos as a relative unknown as he made just one appearance with the Alouettes in 2009, returning two kickoffs for 80 yards and registering a reception for 10 yards.

But the speedy Owens wasted no time becoming a fan favourite in Toronto.

He brought fans to their feet with his electrifying kick returns, earning the CFL’s top special-teams player awards in 2010 and 2011. Last season, Owens became the first player in league history to finish first in receiving yards and kick-return yards (2,418) and he broke former Toronto star Mike (Pinball) Clemons’ all-purpose yards mark of 3,862.

Owens remains a dangerous special-teams weapon but now is a dual threat, having steadily improved his receiving numbers in each of his three seasons with Toronto.

After being named a CFL all-star as a returner in 2010 and ’11, Owens made the squad as a receiver in 2012. And unfortunately for rival defences, Owens and Argos quarterback Ricky Ray both return in 2013 to help Toronto defend its Grey Cup title.

“We definitely feel confident in what we’re doing,” Owens said. “Last year, we were trying to find each other, get a feel for one another and gel in a new offence, new guys, new quarterback, receivers and it’s hard to find that mesh.

“But we found that towards the end last year and it rolled right into the Grey Cup. From Day 1 in training camp we came out and had a phenomenal practice like we never skipped a beat and I know that was very motivating for us and the coaches.”

And Owens, for one, can’t wait for the 2013 season. Toronto begins its title defence Friday night at Rogers Centre hosting its arch rival, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“This is for real this week,” he said. “This is where points matter.”

Unfortunately for Prefontaine, he won’t suit up against Hamilton because as a practice-roster player he only works out with the Argos and doesn’t dress for games.

Prefontaine, 39, is back with Toronto as an insurance policy should Waters struggle or be injured. Prefontaine was limited to seven regular-season games in 2012 after being forced to undergo major hip surgery last summer.

The five-foot-11, 205-pound Prefontaine returned earlier than expected to help the Argos win the Grey Cup but was released less than a month later. Pain-free for the first time in years, Prefontaine remains convinced he can still play well but with a current job and young family — he’s the married father of two young boys with a third child on the way — Prefontaine said remaining in Toronto is his best option.

Prefontaine is entering his 16th CFL season, 13th with Toronto.

“Swayze is obviously the guy here and I’m here more as a support person for him and the other guys playing special teams,” Prefontaine said. “I have a great deal of CFL experience and I’m just going to try and show as much as I can with the guys who’ve made this team and the guys that have been here for a while.

“This is where my family is, this is where my home is. I had some opportunities but for me the best scenario was to be back with the Argos.”

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 07:17 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

2013 Canadian Football Best Bets !

Thursday, June 27

Game Score Status Pick Amount

Montreal - 9:00 PM ET Montreal -5 500 POD # 1

Winnipeg - Under 52.5 500 POD # 2

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 05:56 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

NFL Games of the Year: G-Men Week 6 dogs in Chitown

Odds are out for the biggest and best games of the upcoming NFL season. Covers Expert Bruce Marshall gives you his insight into some of these marquee matchups and predicts where the odds could move before kickoff.

NFL Week 6, Thursday, October 10: New York Giants (+2.5) at Chicago

Past history: NYG 2-1 SU and ATS, 1-2 O/U in three meetings since 2006.

Early look at the Giants: New York’s stop unit fell apart down the stretch last season (especially vulnerable vs. the run) and cost Tom Coughlin's team a chance to defend its Super Bowl crown in the playoffs. Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is thus desperately seeking some upgrades, and a playmaker to emerge in the front seven after DE Osi Umenyiora departed for the Falcons in free agency. QB Eli Manning remains a force on the attack end, but Coughlin is anxiously seeking some offensive balance, compounded by the fact the roster lacks a proven, heavy-duty RB heading into training camp.

Early look at the Bears: By this point in the season we should have a pretty good idea if the Chicago “O” has been upgraded by the presence of new HC Marc Trestman. Remember, the Bears targeted Trestman specifically for his offensive expertise and history as a QB tutor, with hopes that will translate into more consistency for Jay Cutler. Protecting “Midway Jay” was also a problem in the last meeting vs. the G-Men in 2010. Note that Chicago was only 3-7 vs. the line its last ten games at Soldier Field during the Lovie Smith regime.

Where this line will move: At the moment, Chicago appears to be the greater variable among these two, depending upon the impact Trestman has with the offense. If the Bears are winning and Cutler is putting up big numbers in the early weeks, rest assured the public will force the oddsmakers’ hands.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-26-13 06:02 PM
wildcat76
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Scottie Pippen

Former Chicago Bulls player Scottie Pippen turned himself into police Monday and was booked for felony assault after he allegedly attacked an autograph-seeker over the weekend, TMZ reports.

According to TMZ, Pippen, 47, got into an altercation with a man in his 50s who approached him to ask for an autograph outside Nobu restaurant in Malibu Sunday evening.

Never miss an episode! Add new fall shows to your Watchlist

Pippen allegedly punched the man in the face and kicked him repeatedly before leaving the scene. The man was taken to a local hospital with broken teeth, a swollen mouth, and other injuries to his head and back, TMZ reports.

The seven-time All Star, who retired from the NBA in 2004, voluntarily went to authorities in Malibu

Old Post 06-26-13 11:11 PM
wildcat76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat76 Click here to Send wildcat76 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
wildcat76
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Aaron Hernandez

ATTLEBORO, Mass. — New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested Wednesday and charged with murder in the shooting death of a friend prosecutors say had angered the football player at a nightclub a few days earlier by talking to the wrong people.

Hernandez, 23, was taken from his North Attleborough home in handcuffs just over a week after Boston semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial park about a mile away.

.Less than two hours after the arrest, the Patriots announced they had cut Hernandez, a 2011 Pro Bowl selection who signed a five-year contract worth $40 million last summer.

Lloyd was a 27-year-old athlete with the Boston Bandits who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee. He was shot repeatedly in the back and chest, authorities said.

Hernandez could get life without parole if convicted.

“It is at bottom a circumstantial case. It is not a strong case,” his attorney, Michael Fee, said at a court hearing during which Hernandez was ordered held without bail on murder charges and five weapons counts.

Lloyd’s family members cried and hugged in the courtroom as prosecutor Bill McCauley outlined the killing. Two relatives were so overcome with emotion that they had to leave the courtroom.

McCauley said the crime stemmed from a night out at a Boston club called Rumor on June 14. He said Hernandez was upset about certain things, including that Lloyd had talked to some people Hernandez “had troubles with.”

Two days later, McCauley said, on the night of June 16, Hernandez texted two friends from out of state and asked them to hurry back to Massachusetts.

Surveillance footage from outside Hernandez’s home showed him leaving with a gun, and he told someone in the house that he was upset and couldn’t trust anyone anymore, the prosecutor said.

The three men picked up Lloyd at his home around 2:30 a.m., according to authorities. As they drove around, they discussed what happened at the nightclub, and Lloyd started getting nervous, McCauley said.

Lloyd texted his sister, “Did you see who I am with?” When she asked who, he answered, at 3:22 a.m., “NFL,” then, a minute later, “Just so you know.”

Within a few minutes after that, people working the overnight shift at the industrial park reported hearing gunshots, McCauley said.

Investigators did not specify who fired the shots and did not identify the two other people who were with Hernandez.

In arguing unsuccessfully for bail, Hernandez’s attorney said the athlete is unlikely to flee, is a homeowner, and lives with his fiancee and an 8-month-old baby. He also said Hernandez had never been accused of a violent crime.

As he was led from his home in the morning, Hernandez was wearing a white V-neck T-shirt, with his arms inside the shirt and behind his back. He spit into some bushes on his way to a police cruiser.

Old Post 06-26-13 11:15 PM
wildcat76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat76 Click here to Send wildcat76 a Private Message Edit post   Report post
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Trend says CFL champs are Week 1 fade bets

With the Canadian Football League season kicking off Thursday June 27, we decided to take a look at the past 10 seasons to see how the defending Grey Cup champion and runner up fared in the opening week of the regular season.

It would appear that squads coming off of a Grey Cup winning campaign tend to carry a bit of a hangover into Week 1. The champs are 5-5 SU (straight up) but just 2-7-1 ATS (against the spread) in the opening week of their Cup-defending season.

The runners up fare a bit better ATS going 5-5 in the opening week.

As for totals, the under seems to be the trend to open the season. Both the champs and their Grey Cup victims post an O/U record of 3-7 in the opening week. A little gun-shy perhaps in the normally high-scoring game style of football north of the border.

Here is a look back at the past 10 seasons with the defending Grey Cup champs and the runners up.

Grey Cup champions: 5-5 SU, 2-7-1ATS, 3-7 O/U
Runners up: 5-5 SU, 5-5 ATS, 3-7 O/U

The Toronto Argonauts are the defending Grey Cup champions and are 4.5-point faves at home against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Week 1. The total is currently 55.

The Calgary Stampeders took the loss in last year's Grey Cup and open the season as 3-point home favorites against the B.C. Lions. The total is currently 52.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-27-13 06:22 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Alouettes at Blue Bombers: What bettors need to know

Montreal Alouettes at Winnipeg Blue Bombers (+4, 51)

Dan Hawkins has some big shoes to fill. The new coach of the Montreal Alouettes will try to continue the success his team enjoyed under Marc Trestman when the Alouettes open the CFL season at the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Thursday. Trestman, who led Montreal to a 59-31 regular-season record and two Grey Cup wins in five campaigns, is now coaching the NFL’s Chicago Bears. Hawkins was unable to guide the Alouettes to victory in either of their preseason games, but will have a chance for his first CFL triumph against last year's weakest team in the East Division.

Following an appearance in the 99th Grey Cup, Winnipeg scored a league-low 376 points to finish the 2012 season with a 6-12 mark. The Blue Bombers’ offence did not fare any better in the preseason, managing just two field goals while allowing a total of 76 points in two contests. Winnipeg has reason for optimism - including a new stadium and the return of quarterback Buck Pierce, who missed most of last season due to multiple injuries. Pierce is the only quarterback on the roster with substantial CFL experience - but the Blue Bombers' preseason struggles are a familiar refrain.

Home underdogs were a profitable play in the CFL last season. Host teams getting the points went 11-9 SU but 14-6 ATS in 2012. Oddsmakers have tabbed the Blue Bombers as 4-point home underdogs for Thursday's Week 1 opener.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, TSN

ABOUT THE ALOUETTES: QB Anthony Calvillo is returning for his 20th CFL season. The 40-year-old threw for more than 5,000 yards three times during Trestman’s tenure. With his receiving corps - led by veterans Jamel Richardson and S.J. Green - largely intact, and RB Brandon Whitaker set to return from last year’s season-ending knee injury, Calvillo has all the tools at his disposal for another successful season.

ABOUT THE BLUE BOMBERS: Construction delays pushed the opening of Investors Group Field - Winnipeg’s new home - back a full year, but the 33,422-seat stadium is finally ready to replace Canad Inns Stadium, the home of the Blue Bombers for the last 60 seasons. The change of scenery might do well for a Winnipeg squad that is largely unchanged from last year. The Blue Bombers allowed 531 points in 2012 and will have to be stronger on defence as long as their offensive struggles continue.

TRENDS:

* Over is 5-2 in the last seven meetings in Winnipeg.
* Alouettes are 2-7 ATS in their last nine meetings.
* Alouettes are 1-5 ATS in their last six meetings in Winnipeg.
* Over is 21-8 in Alouettes last 29 road games.

EXTRA POINTS:

1. Montreal posted a losing record on the road (4-5) in each of its last two seasons.

2. Despite Grey Cup appearances in 1992, 1993, 2001, 2007 and 2011, the Blue Bombers have not won a championship since 1990 - the longest drought in the CFL.

3. Calvillo holds the professional football record for career passing yards with 78,494 and has thrown a record 449 touchdown passes.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-27-13 06:23 AM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

CFL Betting Notes - Week 1

June 24, 2013

CFL Betting Preview- Week 1

This Thursday night in Winnipeg the 2013 Canadian Football League kicks off its 18-game regular season schedule that will set the stage for this year’s quest for the Grey Cup Championship in late November. The Toronto Argonauts shocked CFL fans last year with their run to a title after going just 9-9 in the regular season, so anything is possible when it comes to professional football “North of the Border.”

The following is a brief betting preview of all of the CFL Week 1 games with the opening point spread and total line provided by 5Dimes.

Thursday, June 27

Montreal Alouettes vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Point-spread: Montreal -5
Total: 53

Montreal won the East Division last season at 11-7 straight-up but it went just 8-10 against the spread overall. The total went OVER in six of its nine games on the road. The Alouettes season came to sudden end with a stunning 27-20 loss to the Argonauts in the East Division Finals as five-point home favorites.

It was a rough 2012 campaign for the Blue Bombers with an overall 6-12 SU record that had them on the outside looking in come playoff time. They did go 9-9 ATS that included a profitable 6-3 ATS record at home. The stayed UNDER in five of their nine home games.

These two teams met four times in 2012 with each team winning once at home and once on the road SU. They also split the series 2-2 ATS with the total going OVER in the first two meetings and staying UNDER in the final two.

Friday, June 28

Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs. Toronto Argonauts
Point-spread: Hamilton -4 ½
Total: 55

The Tiger-Cats were another team that watched the Grey Cup Playoffs on TV last season after going 6-12 SU. They were somewhat better ATS at 9-9, but they still had a losing 4-5 ATS record on the road. The total went OVER in seven of their nine games on the road.

Toronto went 9-9 ATS as well last season but it proved to be costly at home with a 3-6 record ATS. The total stayed UNDER in 10 of the 18 games with an identical 4-5 record both at home and on the road. It completed a 3-0 run both SU and ATS in the playoffs by beating Calgary in the Grey Cup 35-22 as a 1 ½-point underdog. The total went OVER the 55 ½-point line in that game.

The Argonauts won the regular season series 3-1 both SU and ATS but the margin of victory was just three points in two of the victories. The total went OVER in all four games after staying UNDER in five of the previous six meetings.

British Columbia Lions vs. Calgary Stampeders
Point-spread: BC -2 ½
Total: 52

The Lions won the Grey Cup in 2011 and despite having the best SU record in the CFL last season at 13-5; they could not get past the West Division Finals with a 34-29 loss to the Stampeders as 6 ½-point home favorites. They were 9-9 ATS overall and 3-6 ATS on the road. The total stayed UNDER in seven of their nine road games.

Calgary finished just game back in the West at 12-6 SU and it went 10-8 ATS. It was 4-5 ATS at home and the total went OVER in five of the nine games. Before knocking off the Lions in the divisional final, the Stampeders beat Saskatchewan 36-30 in the semifinals in a game that ended as a PUSH.

BC won the regular-season series 2-1 SU and ATS with the home team winning two of the three games. The total stayed UNDER in two of the three games. Prior to last season, the Lions won four of the previous five meetings SU and had s slight 3-2 edge ATS.

Saturday, June 29

Saskatchewan Roughriders vs. Edmonton Eskimos
Point-spread: PICK
Total: 50

The Roughriders only won eight games in 2012 SU but that was good enough for third place in the West. They also went 8-10 ATS with a 3-6 ATS record on the road. The total went an even 9-9 but it stayed UNDER in five of the nine road games.

Edmonton was a game worse in the West at 7-11 SU, but it still made the playoffs as a crossover team from the division. It was over .500 ATS at 10-8 and a profitable 6-3 ATS at home. The total went OVER in 10 of its 16 games overall and in six of its nine home games.

The home team in this series is 9-1 SU and 7-3 ATS. Last season, Edmonton won the final two games at home both SU and ATS with the total going OVER in both contests. The total has now gone OVER in five of the last eight meetings.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-27-13 05:21 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

CFL
Dunkel

Montreal at Winnipeg
The Alouettes look to take advantage of a Winnipeg team that is 2-8 ATS in its last 10 games in June. Montreal is the pick (-4) according to Dunkel, which has the Alouettes favored by 6. Dunkel Pick: Montreal (-4). Here are all of this week's CFL picks.

THURSDAY, JUNE 27

Game 121-122: Montreal at Winnipeg (9:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Montreal 116.845; Winnipeg 110.762
Dunkel Line: Montreal by 6; 48
Vegas Line: Montreal by 4; 51
Dunkel Pick: Montreal (-4); Under

FRIDAY, JUNE 28

Game 123-124: Hamilton at Toronto (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Hamilton 110.452; Toronto 112.262
Dunkel Line: Toronto by 2; 59
Vegas Line: Toronto by 4; 55
Dunkel Pick: Hamilton (+4); Over

Game 125-126: BC at Calgary (10:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: BC 117.660; Calgary 122.616
Dunkel Line: Calgary by 5; 48
Vegas Line: Calgary by 3; 51 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Calgary (-3); Under

SATURDAY, JUNE 29

Game 127-128: Saskatchewan at Edmonton (3:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Saskatchewan 110.756; Edmonton 109.624
Dunkel Line: Saskatchewan by 1; 53
Vegas Line: Edmonton by 1 1/2; 49 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Saskatchewan (+1 1/2); Over

CFL
Long Sheet

Week 1

Thursday, June 27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONTREAL (11 - 8) at WINNIPEG (6 - 12) - 6/27/2013, 9:00 PM
There are no Top Trends with records of significance that apply to this game.

Head-to-Head Series History
WINNIPEG is 5-2 against the spread versus MONTREAL over the last 3 seasons
WINNIPEG is 4-3 straight up against MONTREAL over the last 3 seasons
4 of 7 games in this series have gone UNDER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, June 28

HAMILTON (6 - 12) at TORONTO (12 - 9) - 6/28/2013, 7:00 PM
Top Trends for this game.
HAMILTON is 8-1 ATS (+6.9 Units) as an underdog of 3.5 to 9.5 points over the last 3 seasons.

TORONTO is 5-2 against the spread versus HAMILTON over the last 3 seasons
TORONTO is 4-3 straight up against HAMILTON over the last 3 seasons
5 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

BRITISH COLUMBIA (13 - 6) at CALGARY (14 - 7) - 6/28/2013, 10:00 PM
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 45-22 ATS (+20.8 Units) as an underdog of 3.5 to 9.5 points since 1996.
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 74-50 ATS (+19.0 Units) as an underdog since 1996.
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 28-14 ATS (+12.6 Units) as a road underdog of 3.5 to 7 points since 1996.

CALGARY is 4-3 against the spread versus BRITISH COLUMBIA over the last 3 seasons
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 4-3 straight up against CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
4 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

Saturday, June 29

SASKATCHEWAN (8 - 11) at EDMONTON (7 - 12) - 6/29/2013, 3:30 PM
EDMONTON is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) in home games when playing on a Saturday over the last 3 seasons.

EDMONTON is 4-2 against the spread versus SASKATCHEWAN over the last 3 seasons
EDMONTON is 5-1 straight up against SASKATCHEWAN over the last 3 seasons
3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

CFL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Week 1

Writeups on CFL games will start in Week 2.......

CFL

Week 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alouettes at Blue Bombers: What bettors need to know
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal Alouettes at Winnipeg Blue Bombers (+4, 51)

Dan Hawkins has some big shoes to fill. The new coach of the Montreal Alouettes will try to continue the success his team enjoyed under Marc Trestman when the Alouettes open the CFL season at the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Thursday. Trestman, who led Montreal to a 59-31 regular-season record and two Grey Cup wins in five campaigns, is now coaching the NFL’s Chicago Bears. Hawkins was unable to guide the Alouettes to victory in either of their preseason games, but will have a chance for his first CFL triumph against last year's weakest team in the East Division.

Following an appearance in the 99th Grey Cup, Winnipeg scored a league-low 376 points to finish the 2012 season with a 6-12 mark. The Blue Bombers’ offence did not fare any better in the preseason, managing just two field goals while allowing a total of 76 points in two contests. Winnipeg has reason for optimism - including a new stadium and the return of quarterback Buck Pierce, who missed most of last season due to multiple injuries. Pierce is the only quarterback on the roster with substantial CFL experience - but the Blue Bombers' preseason struggles are a familiar refrain.

Home underdogs were a profitable play in the CFL last season. Host teams getting the points went 11-9 SU but 14-6 ATS in 2012. Oddsmakers have tabbed the Blue Bombers as 4-point home underdogs for Thursday's Week 1 opener.

TV: 9 p.m. ET, TSN

ABOUT THE ALOUETTES: QB Anthony Calvillo is returning for his 20th CFL season. The 40-year-old threw for more than 5,000 yards three times during Trestman’s tenure. With his receiving corps - led by veterans Jamel Richardson and S.J. Green - largely intact, and RB Brandon Whitaker set to return from last year’s season-ending knee injury, Calvillo has all the tools at his disposal for another successful season.

ABOUT THE BLUE BOMBERS: Construction delays pushed the opening of Investors Group Field - Winnipeg’s new home - back a full year, but the 33,422-seat stadium is finally ready to replace Canad Inns Stadium, the home of the Blue Bombers for the last 60 seasons. The change of scenery might do well for a Winnipeg squad that is largely unchanged from last year. The Blue Bombers allowed 531 points in 2012 and will have to be stronger on defence as long as their offensive struggles continue.

TRENDS:

* Over is 5-2 in the last seven meetings in Winnipeg.
* Alouettes are 2-7 ATS in their last nine meetings.
* Alouettes are 1-5 ATS in their last six meetings in Winnipeg.
* Over is 21-8 in Alouettes last 29 road games.

EXTRA POINTS:

1. Montreal posted a losing record on the road (4-5) in each of its last two seasons.

2. Despite Grey Cup appearances in 1992, 1993, 2001, 2007 and 2011, the Blue Bombers have not won a championship since 1990 - the longest drought in the CFL.

3. Calvillo holds the professional football record for career passing yards with 78,494 and has thrown a record 449 touchdown passes.

CFL

Week 1

Trend says CFL champs are Week 1 fade bets
With the Canadian Football League season kicking off Thursday June 27, we decided to take a look at the past 10 seasons to see how the defending Grey Cup champion and runner up fared in the opening week of the regular season.

It would appear that squads coming off of a Grey Cup winning campaign tend to carry a bit of a hangover into Week 1. The champs are 5-5 SU (straight up) but just 2-7-1 ATS (against the spread) in the opening week of their Cup-defending season.

The runners up fare a bit better ATS going 5-5 in the opening week.

As for totals, the under seems to be the trend to open the season. Both the champs and their Grey Cup victims post an O/U record of 3-7 in the opening week. A little gun-shy perhaps in the normally high-scoring game style of football north of the border.

Here is a look back at the past 10 seasons with the defending Grey Cup champs and the runners up.

Grey Cup champions: 5-5 SU, 2-7-1ATS, 3-7 O/U
Runners up: 5-5 SU, 5-5 ATS, 3-7 O/U

The Toronto Argonauts are the defending Grey Cup champions and are 4.5-point faves at home against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Week 1. The total is currently 55.

The Calgary Stampeders took the loss in last year's Grey Cup and open the season as 3-point home favorites against the B.C. Lions. The total is currently 52.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-27-13 05:27 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

CFL
Dunkel

BC at Calgary
The Stampeders look to take advantage of a BC team that is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 road games. Calgary is the pick (-3) according to Dunkel, which has the Stampeders favored by 5. Dunkel Pick: Calgary (-3). Here are all of this week's CFL picks.

FRIDAY, JUNE 28

Game 123-124: Hamilton at Toronto (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Hamilton 110.452; Toronto 112.262
Dunkel Line: Toronto by 2; 59
Vegas Line: Toronto by 4; 55
Dunkel Pick: Hamilton (+4); Over

Game 125-126: BC at Calgary (10:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: BC 117.660; Calgary 122.616
Dunkel Line: Calgary by 5; 48
Vegas Line: Calgary by 3; 51 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Calgary (-3); Under

SATURDAY, JUNE 29

Game 127-128: Saskatchewan at Edmonton (3:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Saskatchewan 110.756; Edmonton 109.624
Dunkel Line: Saskatchewan by 1; 53
Vegas Line: Edmonton by 1 1/2; 49 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Saskatchewan (+1 1/2); Over

CFL
Long Sheet

Week 1

Friday, June 28

HAMILTON (6 - 12) at TORONTO (12 - 9) - 6/28/2013, 7:00 PM
HAMILTON is 8-1 ATS (+6.9 Units) as an underdog of 3.5 to 9.5 points over the last 3 seasons.

TORONTO is 5-2 against the spread versus HAMILTON over the last 3 seasons
TORONTO is 4-3 straight up against HAMILTON over the last 3 seasons
5 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

BRITISH COLUMBIA (13 - 6) at CALGARY (14 - 7) - 6/28/2013, 10:00 PM
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 45-22 ATS (+20.8 Units) as an underdog of 3.5 to 9.5 points since 1996.
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 74-50 ATS (+19.0 Units) as an underdog since 1996.
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 28-14 ATS (+12.6 Units) as a road underdog of 3.5 to 7 points since 1996.

CALGARY is 4-3 against the spread versus BRITISH COLUMBIA over the last 3 seasons
BRITISH COLUMBIA is 4-3 straight up against CALGARY over the last 3 seasons
4 of 7 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

Saturday, June 29

SASKATCHEWAN (8 - 11) at EDMONTON (7 - 12) - 6/29/2013, 3:30 PM
EDMONTON is 6-0 ATS (+6.0 Units) in home games when playing on a Saturday over the last 3 seasons.

EDMONTON is 4-2 against the spread versus SASKATCHEWAN over the last 3 seasons
EDMONTON is 5-1 straight up against SASKATCHEWAN over the last 3 seasons
3 of 6 games in this series have gone OVER THE TOTAL over the last 3 seasons

CFL
Armadillo's Write-Up

Week 1

Writeups on CFL games will start in Week 2.......

CFL

Week 22

Trend Report

Friday, June 28

7:00 PM
HAMILTON vs. TORONTO
The total has gone OVER in 13 of Hamilton's last 18 games
The total has gone OVER in 4 of Hamilton's last 5 games when playing Toronto
The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Toronto's last 8 games when playing at home against Hamilton
Toronto is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games

10:00 PM
BRITISH COLUMBIA vs. CALGARY
The total has gone UNDER in 5 of British Columbia's last 7 games when playing on the road against Calgary
The total has gone UNDER in 14 of British Columbia's last 17 games on the road
Calgary is 12-6 SU in its last 18 games when playing British Columbia
The total has gone OVER in 5 of Calgary's last 6 games at home

Saturday, June 29

3:30 PM
SASKATCHEWAN vs. EDMONTON
Saskatchewan is 1-5 SU in its last 6 games when playing Edmonton
Saskatchewan is 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games when playing on the road against Edmonton
Edmonton is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games when playing Saskatchewan
Edmonton is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Saskatchewan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CFL

Week 1

CFL doubleheader: Tiger-Cats at Argos, Lions at Stamps

Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Toronto Argonauts (-3, 54.5)

The Toronto Argonauts will look to start their quest for a repeat as Grey Cup champions on the right note when they host the provincial rival Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Friday. Toronto defeated the Calgary Stampeders 35-22 at home for its league-record 16th title despite posting a 9-9 record during the regular season. The Tiger-Cats struggled mightily on defence last season, finishing 6-12 in large part because they allowed a league-worst 32 points per game.

The Argonauts defeated Hamilton in three of four meetings last year, including both games at Rogers Centre. The Tiger-Cats hired coach Kent Austin, who led the Saskatchewan Roughriders to a Grey Cup championship in 2007 and spent the last three seasons coaching at Cornell University. Austin was 11-19 in his three seasons with the Big Red. Hamilton is vying for its first winning season since 2004, when it finished 9-8-1.

TV: 7 p.m. ET, TSN

ABOUT THE TIGER-CATS: In an effort to improve their defence, the Tiger-Cats drafted defensive tackle Linden Gaydosh with the first overall pick in this year’s draft. Gaydosh, however, decided to sign with the NFL’s Carolina Panthers instead. Veteran quarterback Henry Burris threw for 43 touchdowns and a career-high 5,367 yards last year in his first season with Hamilton. The 38-year-old looked strong in the preseason, completing 13 of 17 passes for 198 yards and two touchdowns in a 52-0 rout of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

ABOUT THE ARGONAUTS: Weeks after signing quarterback Ricky Ray to an extension that carries through 2015, Toronto reached an agreement with last year’s Most Outstanding Player Chad Owens for two more years. The move helps secure the offence that helped the Argonauts to their first Grey Cup in eight seasons. Toronto cut veteran defensive tackle Kevin Huntley last week, showing confidence in linebackers Robert McCune and Marcus Ball. McCune registered 86 tackles and Ball added 73 last season.

TRENDS:

* Over is 4-0 in the last four meetings.
* Tiger-Cats are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 meetings.
* Argonauts are 5-2 ATS in their last seven Week 1 game.

EXTRA POINTS

1. Members of last year’s Argonauts squad will receive their championship rings prior to the start of the game.

2. Owens set the professional football record for all-purpose yards last season, finishing with 3,863.

3. The Tiger-Cats will open their season at home against Edmonton on July 7. They will play in Guelph, Ont., while their new stadium is under construction.

BC Lions at Calgary Stampeders (-3, 51.5)

The BC Lions finished last season with a league-best 13-5 record and looked poised to repeat as Grey Cup champions, only to drop a 34-29 decision to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Division final. The Lions will have a chance to avenge that loss as they open their season with a visit to Calgary on Friday. The Stampeders suffered a 35-22 setback to the Toronto Argonauts in the Grey Cup final and enter their sixth campaign with coach John Hufnagel, who sports a 59-30-1 regular-season record.

The Lions defeated Calgary twice in the regular season last year, but the Stampeders won 41-21 at home in the last meeting before the West final. That victory marked the return of injured Calgary quarterback Drew Tate, but veteran Kevin Glenn would start both the West final and the Grey Cup. A healthy Tate is expected to guide the Stampeders in 2013, while BC signed quarterback Travis Lulay to a two-year extension after he recorded his first season with a passer rating over 100 (100.7) in his fourth year with the squad.

TV: 10 p.m. ET, TSN

ABOUT THE LIONS: Defence was key for BC last year, as the team finished with 354 points allowed - 55 fewer than any other team in the league. Linebacker Adam Bighill registered 104 tackles, nine sacks and four interceptions while defensive end Keron Williams led the league with 12 sacks. Veteran Paul McCallum recorded a league-high 187 kicking points last year. The Lions traded slotback Geroy Simon, the league’s all-time receiving leader, to Saskatchewan for wide receiver Justin Harper and a third-round pick in 2014.

ABOUT THE STAMPEDERS: Jon Cornish led the league in rushing last year with 1,457 yards - a record for a non-import player - and won the award for Most Outstanding Canadian. Calgary’s offence should run smoothly with Tate and Cornish in the backfield, while its defence - led by linebacker Charleston Hughes (11 sacks) - remains largely intact. The Stampeders added defensive tackle Kevin Huntley to their practice roster less than a week after he was cut by the Toronto Argonauts. Huntley played against the Stampeders in last year’s Grey Cup final.

TRENDS:

* Lions are 1-5 ATS in their last six road games.
* Under is 14-2 in Lions’ last 16 road games.
* Lions are 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings in Calgary.

EXTRA POINTS

1. The Lions were 5-4 away from BC Place last year. Calgary finished 7-2 at home.

2. Despite widespread flooding in Calgary last week, McMahon Stadium escaped damage and will be ready to host Friday’s contest.

3. The Lions defeated the Stampeders 29-27 in preseason action.

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-28-13 03:27 PM
CNOTES
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Friday, June 28

Game Score Status Pick Amount

Hamilton - 7:00 PM ET Toronto -4.5 500 POD # 1

Toronto - Under 55.5 500 POD # 4

BC Lions - 10:00 PM ET BC Lions +3 500 POD # 2

Calgary - Over 52 500 POD # 3

Believe in the 3 G's

Old Post 06-28-13 03:43 PM
wildcat76
FoxDen Hall of Famer

Aaron Hernandez can say goodbye to one of his sponsors -- Muscle Milk is jumping ship in the wake of the NFL star's legal troubles.

CytoSport -- the company behind the popular supplement -- said it was dropping the Patriots' tight end immediately ... in the light of the ongoing investigation.

Police searched Hernandez's Massachusetts home and the area around it ... while investigating the homicide of Odin Lloyd ... who has connections to Hernandez.

Hernandez -- who has not been arrested or named a suspect in Lloyd's death -- is also being sued for allegedly shooting a man in Miami.

Old Post 06-28-13 07:44 PM
Post A Reply

Pages (13): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Message   Next Message

Quick Links: